Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
19967945-mmmain.jpg

Welcome to 7-Eleven 'Bring Your Own Cup' Day!

7-Eleven stores nationwide will once again let you fill any size and shape cup with Slurpee for the $1.50 price of a medium Slurpee, but this year the event is happening for two days on both Friday and Saturday.
That's right. You can bring (almost) any cup, or drinking vessel you can think of and fill it with Slurpee on the cheap, but you do have to follow a few rules:

• It must fit through a 10-inch diameter hole.
  • It must be clean.
  • It must be watertight.
  • One cup per customer.
So leave your gigantic trash bags and leaky sneakers at home, but feel free to bring a pineapple, a flower vase or any other loony containers you have the urge to get brain freeze from.
Someone at each store will be checking to make sure customers' cups are clean, and there will be a station to check whether they meet the size restrictions.

The "Bring Your Own Cup Day" promotion runs today and tomorrow, March 18 and 19, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at about 7,700 participating 7-Eleven stores nationwide.

This year, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Slurpee, the company has revealed a new Airheads Xtremes Rainbow Berry Slurpee flavor in time for BYO Cup Day. Slurpee hopes people will share photos of their outrageous Slurpees on social media with hashtag #BYOCupDay on Instagram and Twitter. The company will also be sharing all the BYO Cup Day action on its SnapChat account REALLYSLURPEE.

SU News

-20128dde14840a14.jpg

What They're Saying: Syracuse, Dayton Players Break Down NCAA Tournament Matchup (PS; Ditota)

Some interesting things were said at Thursday's NCAA Tournament media sessions. A few quotes for your reading pleasure:

Frank Howard on the way he's played lately:"I like the pace that I've been playing at. Pushing the basketball as much as you can. Catching the basketball, making quick decisions, decisive decisions. I think that's something I lacked at the beginning of the year — quick movements and getting up and down the court. I think that's something I've improved on. It's definitely a learning process. You come into the game, the guys are now more athletic, the game is faster, you gotta adjust. As my minutes picked up, I think I adjusted."

Dajuan Coleman on building upon his 11-point, 11-rebound performance vs. Pitt: "I've been building up for a performance like that. I think I played good, but there are still areas that I could have gotten better. Like finishing around the basket and getting a couple more rebounds, I think. I think we're definitely getting better at the pick-and-roll. Our last game, Pitt, they did a good job of finding me down low and getting me the ball. That was good."

19967024-mmmain.jpg

Malachi Richardson and Tyler Lydon Will Play Against Friends Today (PS; Carlson)

Just over a year ago, John Crosby elevated Tyler Lydon's game by insisting he was the best player on the floor. Now the Dayton freshman is going to have to do his best to make Lydon look his worst.

In a reminder of just how funny this big old world is, Lydon and Crosby, teammates less than a year ago at the New Hampton (N.H.) School and members of a group text dedicated to maintaining their friendships, will be on opposite sides of the court when Dayton and Syracuse meet on Friday. Lydon and Crosby are one of two sets of high school teammates, with Malachi Richardson and Charles Cooke standing as the other set.

Lydon is Syracuse's sixth man, while Crosby averaged 9.3 minutes while appearing in every game for Dayton. And both give some credit to the other for helping them reach this point.

"I just remember one game, I forget who we were playing, but the kid I was guarding went off on me," Lydon said. "(Crosby) got in my face at halftime and said, 'This kid is showing you up and you're the best player on the court. You can't let that happen.' Every time he did something like that I think it helped me improve as a player."

18TRACYweb1-master675.jpg

Syracuse Was Aided by Self-Imposed Ban, But a Player Paid a Price (nytimes.com; Tracy)

No matter how Syracuse fares in the N.C.A.A. tournament, the only reason it is playing is that Syracuse administrators determined that last season’s team would not.

In February 2015, Syracuse, having seen the writing of an N.C.A.A. investigation on the wall, announced a self-imposed postseason ban, effective for that season.

That meant that in March, when the N.C.A.A. Committee on Infractions barred Syracuse from postseason play after finding multiple violations by the Syracuse men’s basketball program — including staff members doing homework for players and outsiders paying players to “volunteer” — the Orange’s absence from that season’s Atlantic Coast Conference tournament and, potentially, the N.C.A.A. tournament was treated as time served.

The maneuver was as cautious as Coach Jim Boeheim’s signature 2-3 zone defense. The most significant penalty in the infractions committee’s arsenal — banishment from postseason play, which might have cast a pall over this season — was instead finished only two months after Syracuse announced it. That freed the Orange to make this season’s N.C.A.A. tournament, which they (barely) did.

“One month knowing you’re not going to the tournament is one thing,” Boeheim said Thursday, defending the self-imposed ban. “To sit in Syracuse and for 10 months know we’re not going to the tournament next year, that would not have been good.”

Other

stlouis-arch-history.jpg.aspx

The History of the Gateway Arch (gatewayarch.com)

Jefferson National Expansion Memorial (JNEM) was created in 1935, and became part of the National Park Service.

Civic leader Luther Ely Smith conceived the idea of building a memorial to help revive the riverfront and memorialize the story of the nation’s westward expansion. Through a nationwide design competition conducted 1947–1948, Eero Saarinen’s stainless steel Arch was chosen as the memorial that would celebrate the accomplishments of early pioneers. St. Louis celebrated with a groundbreaking on June 23, 1959.

Over the next few years, Saarinen perfected his design and workers began excavating the grounds in 1961.

In 1962, the Bi-State Development Agency (BSDA) was asked to finance the $2 million tram system that transports visitors to and from the top of the Arch. Meanwhile, it took steadfast coordination to put every piece of the Arch into place until the final section at the top of the Arch was secured on October 28, 1965.

Trams became operational in 1967, thanks to the funds that BSDA raised by selling revenue bonds. In the same year, the Visitor Center, with exhibits, opened to the public.

Less than a decade later, the massive Museum of Westward Expansion opened beneath the Arch, featuring exhibits on St. Louis’ role as the Gateway to the West. Improvements to the monument continued as engineers added floodlights to illuminate the Arch exterior in 2001. Approximately two years later, the Grand Staircase, which spans from the levee at the Mississippi River banks to the base of the Arch, was completed.

In 2009, a non-profit organization called CityArchRiver 2015 spearheaded a project that will transform JNEM by creating a safe and inviting pedestrian bridge over the highway and a new museum beneath the Arch. After renovations, visitors will also encounter a new entrance to the facility and greater accessibility throughout the grounds. Groups traveling by bus will have more convenient access to drop-offs and parking, as well as to new performance spaces on the grounds. Bicyclists will enjoy extended bike trails.

Today, BSDA continues to operate the trams as a cooperative effort with the National Park Service. October 28, 2015 will mark the 50th Anniversary of the completion of the Arch.

MORE INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE GATEWAY ARCH
Thanks to hundreds of workers, the Arch was completed within budget and without the loss of one life. Delve into more details about the Arch with answers to several frequently asked questions.

Last edited:
Slightly OT, but since it's about MTSU v MSU
(and NOT about another team we're somewhat familiar with...)

Highest_Ranked_Teams_to_Lose.png

Richmond who? Never heard of 'em.