Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Budapest_Banner_Gold.jpg

Welcome to International Feng Shui Awareness Day!

International Feng Shui Awareness Day (pronounced fuhng shwey) celebrates this ancient art or philosophy that was developed in China over 3,000 years ago. According to Merriam-Webster.com Feng Shui is "a Chinese system for positioning a building and the objects within a building in a way that is thought to agree with spiritual forces and to bring health and happiness". The word Feng means wind and shui means water and Chinese associate wind and water with good health. Feng Shui deals with energy flow and balance. Many people set up their homes using Feng Shui techniques so that everything is correctly aligned so they have good flows of energy.

HGTV.com has an informative article titled "The Elements of Feng Shui".

SU News

trevor-cooney-tyler-roberson-franklin-howard-tyler-lydon-getty-ftr-040216_13lryk8l90x7k1pp5flkvyu2bw.jpg

An Early Look at the 2016-17 Syracuse Basketball Team (the juice; Cheng)

With the basketball offseason officially underway, here’s a quick look at the 2016-17 Syracuse basketball team:

WHO’S OUT: Syracuse will lose a pair of fifth-year seniors and its starting backcourt in Trevor Cooney and Michael Gbinije. Gbinije was SU’s most consistent player all season, leading the team with 17.5 points per game and 4.3 assists per game, and was in double figures in all of SU’s game this season. Cooney, who endured one of the worst shooting stretches of his career to close the regular season (a combined 9 for 44 from the field in his last four games), resuscitated his legacy by becoming the only SU player ever to appear in two Final Four games. His 22 points in his final appearance against UNC kept the game from being a rout.

Syracuse also loses sophomore point guard Kaleb Joseph, who will transfer. After appearing in every game as a freshmen, Joseph fell out of Jim Boeheim’s tight rotation once conference play started, as Boeheim opted instead to go with freshmen Frank Howard in his place. Joseph appeared in 17 games this season, played just 6.7 minutes per game, and finished the season averaging 0.9 points while shooting 17.9 percent from the field and 15.4 percent from 3.

cheickna-dembele-scotland-performance-institute-e1455834113654.png

WHO MAY BE IN
:

Syracuse has been aggressive in recruiting 2016 big man Taurean Thompson, though it is competing with Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall and Kansas for his services. The Orange has also shown interest in Scotland Performance Institute (PA) big man Cheickna Dembele.

If Richardson doesn’t return, and with Joseph transferring, the Orange will also need to bolster its backcourt depth. Columbia graduate transfer Grant Mullins may be an option. He averaged 13.3 points on 43.9 percent shooting from beyond the arc in 31.1 minutes per game. Syracuse contacted him in late March along with Michigan, California and Hawaii.

635954582782128981-roc-56ltkxz6pp2sk672dm-original.jpg

Syracuse Flashback to 2003 Title Game: 'Cuse Rules (D&C; DiVeronica)

It was 13 years ago today on April 7, 2003 Syracuse finally scaled to the top of the ladder and won its only NCAA championship in men's basketball. What a ride, remember? From unranked in the preseason despite having a transcendent freshman forward named Carmelo Anthony and a gritty point guard out of Scranton, Pennsylvania named Gerry McNamara to the national championship. That duo joined senior swingman Kueth Duany and sophomores Craig Forth and Hakim Warrick in the starting lineup and key reserves were swingman Josh Pace, freshman guard Billy Edelin and center Jeremy McNeil. I was about 15 feet away from the block heard round college hoops, when Warrick came flying from the lane to swat Michael Lee's potential game-tying 3-pointer in the New Orleans Superdome. Covering the third-seeded Orangemen's run through Boston, Albany and finally New Orleans, which included wins over No. 14 seed Manhattan (76-65), No. 6 Oklahoma State (68-56), No. 10 Auburn (79-78), No. 1 Oklahoma (63-47), No. 1 Texas (95-84) and No. 2 Kansas, 81-78, is still the highlight of my career. In honor of the anniversary, here's my game story from that magical night in the Big Easy.

Throwback Thursday: Syracuse Wins the 2003 National Title (photo gallery; PS; Axe)

Say that date to any Syracuse University basketball fan and they'll immediately know what you are talking about.

It was that night that dreams came true and the Syracuse University men's basketball team won the national championship.

Gerry McNamara hit six 3-pointers in the first half. Carmelo Anthony scored 20 points and grabbed 10 rebounds.

Kansas' Michael Lee had a chance to tie the game in the final seconds, but Hakim Warrick had something to say about that.

Other

House of the Week: Newly-Renovated Apartments in Syracuse's Regency Tower (PS; Pucci)

After more than 50 years, the Regency Tower is getting a facelift.

Ten units were added, upping the total number of apartments in the building to 248. The building's boilers, security system and three elevators are also being replaced.

It's all part of a $5 million renovation project that started around three years ago. The plan is to renovate the rest of the apartments at a rate of 10 to 12 units per year, said Peter Finn, Executive Vice President of CBRE and one of the building's owners.

"Our goal is to restore this building to the most luxurious high-rise living in Syracuse," Finn said.

The ten new units have granite kitchen countertops, stainless steel appliances and commercial-grade composite wood flooring throughout the apartment.

All the apartments have large mirrored windows that let in plenty of natural light, especially the units on the backside of the building, overlooking Syracuse University and downtown.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...opts-academic-integrity-proposal?sf23996624=1

NCAA

DI Council adopts academic integrity proposal
Alteration is first change in academic integrity approach in 33 years
April 8, 2016 12:27pmMichelle Brutlag Hosick
The Division I Council clarified the academic integrity rules for member schools and student-athletes this week in a decision that is the first legislative change to the division’s approach to academic integrity issues since 1983.

The new rules establish clear and consistent guidelines for academic integrity issues and govern when such issues will be considered an NCAA violation. Decisions made by the Council are final, though the Division I Board of Directors reviews those decisions and can overturn them.

“These new rules, unanimously accepted by the Council members, will draw much brighter lines for the Division I membership in the area of academic integrity,” said Council chair James J. Phillips, vice president and director of athletics at Northwestern University. “The end result is greater accountability that begins with the school and involves the NCAA only in specific cases.”

The proposal was designed by the Division I Committee on Academics, based on work started more than two years ago by two former Division I committees, the Committee on Academic Performance and the Academic Cabinet. Roderick J. McDavis, Committee on Academics chair and president at Ohio University, said he was pleased the collective effort will result in more clarity for the students and staff in Division I.

“This legislation is the result of significant collaboration between the Division I Committee on Academics, the Committee on Infractions, the Division I Council, the Division IA Athletics Directors, the National Association of Academic Advisors for Athletics and the membership overall,” McDavis said. “The new rules are based on a set of core principles we value in intercollegiate athletics.”

The legislation aims to strike an appropriate balance between a school administration’s role in deciding academic integrity issues on campus and the NCAA’s collective role in reinforcing and upholding the NCAA’s core academic principles.

The new rules require schools to maintain and adhere to written academic integrity policies that apply to the entire student body. Each school determines the scope and content of its own policies, and a school must follow its policies when an academic integrity issue involving a student-athlete occurs, regardless of circumstance.

Under the new rules, only conduct that violates a school’s own academic misconduct policies could become an NCAA academic misconduct violation. Specifically, the misconduct must have resulted in a falsification of the student-athlete’s academic record, involved a school’s staff member or booster, or allowed the student to compete while ineligible.

Additionally, the proposal recognizes schools can’t predict every type of academic integrity issue that could occur. Therefore, some misconduct committed by staff members or boosters that doesn’t violate a school’s academic misconduct policies may still violate NCAA rules regulating impermissible academic assistance.

The new rule defines impermissible academic assistance as academic conduct involving a staff member or booster that falls outside of a school’s academic misconduct policies, provides a substantial impact on the student-athlete’s eligibility and is not the type of academic assistance generally available to all students.

The Council also tabled a proposal that would allow NCAA championship events to be held in states that permit gambling on college sports. In tabling the rule change, the Council noted that a policy of the NCAA Board of Governors, which oversees all three NCAA divisions, prohibits championship events from taking place in places such as Las Vegas.

The Board of Governors will review its policy to determine if greater flexibility is merited. That group meets next later this month, and the Council will take up the issue again in June.

The Council approved a proposal applicable to the Football Bowl Subdivision that would require those schools to conduct camps and clinics at their school’s facilities or at facilities regularly used for practice or competition. Additionally, FBS coaches and noncoaching staff members with responsibilities specific to football may be employed only at their school’s camps or clinics. This rule change is effective immediately.

Also at the April meeting:
  • The Big Ten Conference withdrew a proposal that would have required a student who competes in men’s ice hockey to enroll in college within two years of high school graduation or lose a season of competition for each year he delayed his enrollment.
  • The Council adopted a requirement that schools provide information to students who wish to transfer, including the implications of a request to transfer and a description of services and benefits that could be impacted.
  • The Council deregulated electronic communication with prospective student-athletes who participate in football, cross country, track and field and swimming and diving.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...opts-academic-integrity-proposal?sf23996624=1

NCAA

DI Council adopts academic integrity proposal
Alteration is first change in academic integrity approach in 33 years
April 8, 2016 12:27pmMichelle Brutlag Hosick
The Division I Council clarified the academic integrity rules for member schools and student-athletes this week in a decision that is the first legislative change to the division’s approach to academic integrity issues since 1983.

The new rules establish clear and consistent guidelines for academic integrity issues and govern when such issues will be considered an NCAA violation. Decisions made by the Council are final, though the Division I Board of Directors reviews those decisions and can overturn them.

“These new rules, unanimously accepted by the Council members, will draw much brighter lines for the Division I membership in the area of academic integrity,” said Council chair James J. Phillips, vice president and director of athletics at Northwestern University. “The end result is greater accountability that begins with the school and involves the NCAA only in specific cases.”

The proposal was designed by the Division I Committee on Academics, based on work started more than two years ago by two former Division I committees, the Committee on Academic Performance and the Academic Cabinet. Roderick J. McDavis, Committee on Academics chair and president at Ohio University, said he was pleased the collective effort will result in more clarity for the students and staff in Division I.

“This legislation is the result of significant collaboration between the Division I Committee on Academics, the Committee on Infractions, the Division I Council, the Division IA Athletics Directors, the National Association of Academic Advisors for Athletics and the membership overall,” McDavis said. “The new rules are based on a set of core principles we value in intercollegiate athletics.”

The legislation aims to strike an appropriate balance between a school administration’s role in deciding academic integrity issues on campus and the NCAA’s collective role in reinforcing and upholding the NCAA’s core academic principles.

The new rules require schools to maintain and adhere to written academic integrity policies that apply to the entire student body. Each school determines the scope and content of its own policies, and a school must follow its policies when an academic integrity issue involving a student-athlete occurs, regardless of circumstance.

Under the new rules, only conduct that violates a school’s own academic misconduct policies could become an NCAA academic misconduct violation. Specifically, the misconduct must have resulted in a falsification of the student-athlete’s academic record, involved a school’s staff member or booster, or allowed the student to compete while ineligible.

Additionally, the proposal recognizes schools can’t predict every type of academic integrity issue that could occur. Therefore, some misconduct committed by staff members or boosters that doesn’t violate a school’s academic misconduct policies may still violate NCAA rules regulating impermissible academic assistance.

The new rule defines impermissible academic assistance as academic conduct involving a staff member or booster that falls outside of a school’s academic misconduct policies, provides a substantial impact on the student-athlete’s eligibility and is not the type of academic assistance generally available to all students.

The Council also tabled a proposal that would allow NCAA championship events to be held in states that permit gambling on college sports. In tabling the rule change, the Council noted that a policy of the NCAA Board of Governors, which oversees all three NCAA divisions, prohibits championship events from taking place in places such as Las Vegas.

The Board of Governors will review its policy to determine if greater flexibility is merited. That group meets next later this month, and the Council will take up the issue again in June.

The Council approved a proposal applicable to the Football Bowl Subdivision that would require those schools to conduct camps and clinics at their school’s facilities or at facilities regularly used for practice or competition. Additionally, FBS coaches and noncoaching staff members with responsibilities specific to football may be employed only at their school’s camps or clinics. This rule change is effective immediately.

Also at the April meeting:
  • The Big Ten Conference withdrew a proposal that would have required a student who competes in men’s ice hockey to enroll in college within two years of high school graduation or lose a season of competition for each year he delayed his enrollment.
  • The Council adopted a requirement that schools provide information to students who wish to transfer, including the implications of a request to transfer and a description of services and benefits that could be impacted.
  • The Council deregulated electronic communication with prospective student-athletes who participate in football, cross country, track and field and swimming and diving.
This, to me, is the ultimate sign that Carolina will skate with nothing more than a wrist slap. It essentially says, "We couldn't do anything about North Carolina—you know, wheelhouse and all—but we sure as heck are gonna try to make it look like we can do something in the future!"

Edit: Also, timing. Look at when this is coming out (i.e., just ahead of the release of Carolina's findings/sanctions). It's preemptive.

This, to me, is the ultimate sign that Carolina will skate with nothing more than a wrist slap. It essentially says, "We couldn't do anything about North Carolina—you know, wheelhouse and all—but we sure as heck are gonna try to make it look like we can do something in the future!"

Edit: Also, timing. Look at when this is coming out (i.e., just ahead of the release of Carolina's findings/sanctions). It's preemptive.
It's Friday, I am not reading that whole thing. I will take your word for it, and I will be pissed off if UNC gets away with this.

David Glenn Show
‏@DavidGlennShow
3h3 hours ago
Academic integrity proposal/rules announced today by NCAA apply moving FORWARD. UNC case=being handled under previously existing NCAA rules.

DG: NCAA has trickier/complicated situation punishing UNC (which they will) under OLD rules. Would be easier/simpler/clearer with new rules.

No doubt at all. :mad:

I just noticed his Twitter name includes "14" I wonder if he will change numbers next with KJ transferring. Moyer has said he will wear #3, fwiw.

Like many, my family has been touched by cancer. While this news sucks, I'm thankful that Pearl got 20 more years of life after his first episode with brain cancer years ago. He could have died then, if not for that little kid calling 9-1-1. Thank god. And I'm glad that he made the most out of the extra time he got, which was a blessing.

I'm happy that our team was able to give him that nice recognition / tribute with the shirts during the latter part of the season.