Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
grilled_cheese_1.jpg

Welcome to National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!

It's National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day! Although it only requires three ingredients (bread, cheese, and butter), grilled cheese is one of the most popular comfort foods in the world. Send a free eCard for National Grilled Cheese Day to spread the word about this holiday!

The Ancient Romans were the first civilization to make a cooked bread and cheese sandwich, but many cultures have invented their own take on this ancient dish. In France, people enjoy Croque Monsieur (a grilled ham and cheese sandwich) while in Switzerland it is customary to melt the cheese and toast the bread separately before combining them. The classic American grilled cheese sandwich emerged in the 1920s when inexpensive cheese and affordable sliced bread became available. It is now a staple in cafés, diners, and school cafeterias across the country.

To celebrate National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day, enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich cooked your favorite way and served with a side of tomato soup!

SU News

college-basketball-big-east-tournament-syracuse-dwayne-pearl-in-vs-picture-id81376664

Dwayne "Pearl" Washington: The First Point Guard I Ever Feel in Love With (thebiglead.com; McIntyre)

The first point guard I fell in love with was Dwayne “Pearl” Washington of Syracuse. I can’t pinpoint the exact date, but a childhood friend’s father attended Seton Hall University. He was a Big East fan. Living outside of Washington DC, we were mostly exposed to only the Georgetown Hoyas, a juggernaut in the early 80s led by Patrick Ewing.

The Hoyas played the Orangemen three times in the 1983-1984 season, and won all three games. I loved those Hoyas teams – the backcourt of Michael Jackson (who grew up a 3-pointer away from where we resided in Northern Virginia) and Horace Broadnax, do-it-all swingman Reggie Williams, the great shooting guard David Wingate, and Ewing’s bodyguard before Charles Oakley made the job famous, Michael Graham – but the player who always caught my eye was the dynamic Syracuse point guard, Pearl Washington. (As such, I developed a fondness for the Orange.) Something about Washington’s game is seared into my memory as it was my first real exposure to basketball. The Washington Bullets were awful, and I didn’t get to an NBA game until late 1984.

In the pre-3-point era, Washington was the consummate point guard – breaking defenders down off the dribble with his lethal crossover – or draining the mid-range jumper. Washington shot 54% from the field as a freshman, and 52% for his career at Syracuse.

I don’t remember this halfcourt game-winner, but YouTube is a wonderful thing:

Can I interest you in the Georgetown-Syracuse rivalry? That, along with the St. John’s-Georgetown rivalry, feels to me like the birth of the Big East. Which is why I was so bitter the league was ripped apart a few years ago by conference realignment.

pearl-300x176.jpg

Orange Watch: An Appreciation of All Time Syracuse Basketball Great Pearl Washington (the juice; Bierman)

We can still vividly remember the moment when Syracuse basketball officially went from being a rising eight year regional program with a shocking 1975 Final Four appearance under its belt, to the truly nationally recognized college hoops brand it is today under Jim Boeheim. It was built from a 1980s combination spotlighted by the move to the cavernous Dome; along with ESPN telecasts of Big East games featuring 30,000 plus to a wide array (west coast) of audiences, and individually on the court thanks to a Brooklyn playground and scholastic legend from Bedford-Stuyvesant’s Boys and Girls High School named Dwayne “Pearl” Washington.

It was Sunday, Feb. 20, 1983 at halftime of an NBC telecast of a game between St. John’s and DePaul from Madison Square Garden, before the then-independent Blue Demons joined the Big East.

Remember in the winter of 1983 ESPN was still in its infancy; SportsCenter was still practically a novelty to many in the nation who had yet to even be wired for cable. A 1:00 p.m. Sunday afternoon game, especially post-Super Bowl and pre-MLB’s opening day, on one of the broadcast networks and in this case between the No. 6 Redmen and the Blue Demons at the Garden, longtime traditional Catholic programs yet meeting for only the first time since the 1949-50 season, would attract a lot of eyeballs.

After NBC teased the announcement that analyst Al McGuire would be sitting down with Washington at halftime to announce his college choice, something that rarely if ever occurred in 1983, when the big moment arrived Washington was low key, yet confident, as he sat next to McGuire and announced Syracuse as his college choice, and it was no coincidence that when Pearl officially suited up in an Orangemen uniform for the first time nine months later against Colgate, the player’s names in blue lettering were on the backs of the home (and away) jerseys for the first time, because it was now show time with Pearl.

19943709-mmmain.jpg

Reading's Lonnie Walker Wants to Play PG, Expects Syracuse Visit This Week (pennlive.com; Linder)

The recruiting buzz continues to build around Reading junior guard Lonnie Walker.

Walker (6-foot-5, 180 pounds) said Southern Methodist coach Larry Brown visited last week, and Syracuse is expected to stop in this week.

Walker, who will lead team Raw Sports in the semifinals of the Donofrio Classic at 8:30 tonight, said the Orange have yet to offer him, but they are on his list of favorites along with Villanova, Miami, Oregon and SMU.

And the meeting with Brown, the former Philadelphia 76ers head coach, helped put the Mustangs firmly on Walker's radar.

"It was great," Walker said of the meeting. "He was one of the most down-to-earth coaches that I've gotten to meet. Certain coaches don't know how to approach players, but he laid it out for me. He told me I'd be going there to become a better person.

"It wasn't all about going to the NBA."

Walker averaged 16.9 points per game last season, and earned All-State honors. ESPN ranks him as the 23rd best player in the Class of 2017.

He said he can play shooting guard in college but believes his best fit will be at point guard.

"I just have to keep working on my ball handling, ability to pass the ball, my size and my post moves," he said.

Walker said he plans to play with Philadelphia's Team Final on the AAU circuit this summer with trips to tournaments in New York, Indianapolis, Virginia, Georgia, South Carolina and Las Vegas on the schedule.

Other

20112837-mmmain.jpg

J-Mac's Back: Basketball Hero Jason McElwain Scores 10 Points in Rochester Pro Game (PS; Herbert)

Autistic basketball hero J-Mac is back on the court, 10 years after he made national news with a heroic performance at Greece Athena High School.

The Democrat & Chronicle reports Jason McElwain signed a one-day contract with the Rochester RazorSharks, a pro team in the Premier Basketball League, for their final game of the season on Sunday. He appeared in the final four minutes, hitting 2 of 3 three-point shots and scoring 10 points altogether as the RazorSharks beat the Western New York Thundersnow, 128-78 at the Blue Cross Arena.

McElwain previously rose to fame as "J-Mac" in February 2006 when he hit six three-pointers, tying a Greece Athena school record, for 20 points in just four minutes. The then-high school senior ended up winning the 2006 ESPY award for best sports moment, met President George W. Bush and inspired Magic Johnson to potentially produce a movie about his life.

The now 27-year-old McElwain, who has a mild form of autism, continues to inspire others. He wrote a book, finished in the Boston Marathon twice, and joined former Syracuse basketball star John Wallace as one of only two players in Greece Athena history to have their jerseys retired.

Russell Westbrook Comes Close to Breaking Record Held by Syracuse Nat Jim Tucker (newsok.com; Horne)

Russell Westbrook passed to Anthony Morrow for a historic assist: Air ball.

The next Thunder possession, Morrow didn't disappoint. Westbrook passed it right back to him and Morrow swished a 3, giving Westbrook a rare halftime triple-double.

“I didn’t know it was to get the triple-double,” Morrow said. “But I knew I was gonna get it right back.”

Westbrook finished with 13 points, 11 rebounds and 14 assists in the Thunder's 112-79 win against the Los Angeles Lakers. Westbrook's triple-double was the second-fastest in NBA history — Jim Tucker had a triple-double in 17 minutes for the Syracuse Nationals on Feb. 20, 1955.

Westbrook had 11 points, 10 rebound and 10 assists in 17 minutes, 46 seconds. It included a string of four assists in a 2-minute span to close the second quarter, highlighted by alley-oops to Steven Adams and Kevin Durant on consecutive possessions.

“Guys make it easy for me to rebound and make open shots,” Westbrook said. “I’m just thankful to have those guys on my team.”

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/53404/n-c-state-hoop-coaching-staff-to-undergo-major-shakeup/

N.C. State hoop coaching staff to undergo major shakeup
Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 11:37 by Brett Friedlander

Bobby Lutz has been Mark Gottfried’s right-hand man since 2011

It appears as though N.C. State’s basketball roster isn’t the only thing going through a shakeup this offseason. Coach Mark Gottfried’s staff is also about to get a new look on the heels of a disappointing 16-17 season in 2015-16.

According to sources in both Raleigh and Atlanta, associate head coach Bobby Lutz is prepared to leave the Wolfpack to take a position on the staff of new Georgia Tech coach Josh Pastner. Lutz has been Gottfried’s top assistant since the two came to State together in 2011.

His spot on the State bench could be filled by Joe Dooley, the current head coach at Florida Gulf Coast,

Dooley’s potential hiring is being reported by Gary Parrish of CBS Sports, who writes that the former East Carolina coach would make significantly more money as an assistant with the Wolfpack than he would at his current job.

Dooley, who led FGCU to the NCAA tournament this season, has a 65-38 record in three seasons with the Eagles. He will be the second addition to Gottfried’s staff in as many weeks.

Last Thursday, the Wolfpack hired former Oklahoma State assistant Butch Pierre to fill the spot created when Rob Moxley was reassigned to an administrative position.

State’s roster is also currently in flux, thanks to the unexpected transfer of twins Caleb and Cody Martin, and the decisions of Cat Barber and Abdul-Malik Abu to enter the NBA draft. While Barber has said he is definitely leaving, Abu has yet to hire an agent and is expected to withdraw his name from the draft before the May 25 deadline.