Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Audubon_Birds_of_America.jpg

Welcome to Audubon Day!

John James Audubon (1785 1851) was America's foremost ornithological illustrator. Afterstudying drawing in Paris under the French painter Jacques Louis David, Audubonstruggled for many years to make a living from his art, shuttling back and forth between Europe and the United States and supplementing his income by giving drawing lessons,turning out portraits, playing the flute or violin at local dances, and at one time running ageneral store. In 1820 he began a flatboat excursion down the Mississippi River to seek out newvarieties of birds to paint. Eventually he had enough bird portraits to publish in book form.Birds of America, produced with the help of engraver Robert Havell, Jr., contains 435handcolored plates and was published in "elephant folio" format to accommodate the lifesized portrayals of birds on which Audubon insisted. After his death in 1851, Audubon's wife Lucy returned to teaching to support herself. Oneof her students, George Bird Grinnell, became the editor of Forest and Stream magazine and in 1886 organized the Audubon Society for the study and protection of birds. Todaythere are many branches of this organization, known as the National Audubon Society,and it remains dedicated to the conservation of wildlife and natural resources. Itsmembers honor Audubon on his birthday, April 26. In some states, Audubon Day andARBOR DAY are celebrated together by planting trees in bird sanctuaries.

SU News

USATSI_9130918-Cropped.jpg

SU Interested in Colorado State Grad Transfer John Gillon (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

The former Mountain West sixth man of the year is looking to wrap up his career elsewhere.

As you've already noticed, the Syracuse Orange are looking for another guard to add to its slim rotation for 2016-17. Last week, Michigan's Spike Albrecht's name was tossed into the ring, and before that, Columbia's Grant Mullins also expressed some interest in heading to SU.

The latest name to add to the potential transfer list? Six-foot tall, 168-pound Colorado State guard John Gillon.

As indicated by ESPN's Jeff Borzello above, Syracuse is among a decent-sized list of schools the graduate transfer guard will be considering as he looks to close out his college career. Gillon is a Houston native, so perhaps there's some extra weight put to those Texas schools? At the same time, he played two years at Colorado State and another at Arkansas-Little Rock, so he's certainly not opposed to traveling a bit to play.

Taurean_x7uxa0k1_7pant2pu.JPG

Taurean Thompson Talks Recruiting, Upcoming UConn Visit (sny.tv.com; Zagoria)

As a New York City native, Taurean Thompson grew up attending the Jordan Brand Classic. And on Friday, he finally got his chance to play in the Regional Game.

The 6-foot-10 forward from Brewster (N.H.) Academy went off for 27 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks en route to co-MVP honors as Team New York beat Team East, 148-128, at Barclays Center.

"I've been coming to Jordan Brand since I was a kid so for me to play in it was amazing," Thompson, who had 12 family and friends in the building, told SNY.tv. "And for me to win the 'chip, was even better."

On the recruiting front, Thompson says UConn, Syracuse, Georgetown, Seton Hall and Providence are working the hardest, but that he's still open to new schools. Xavier has also been in touch via assistant coach Luke Murray.

He begins an official visit -- his third after trips to Syracuse and Xavier -- to UConn on Monday, but has no other visits planned.

"No, not yet," he said. "I might use my two officials, I might not, but time will tell."

Thompson's Team New York teammate Christian Vital, who decommitted from UNLV, also visits UConn beginning Monday before heading to Louisville on Wednesday.

"[UConn] gave me a call and I still have a bunch of officials yet," Thompson said. "I wanted to make the most of my officials so I decided to go to UConn."

He added: "I'll see what they say, what they tell me."

UConn has produced its share of big men over the years, several of whom have gone to the NBA.

"I know Daniel Hamilton, his personal coach told me that I should take a look at it," Thompson said of the UConn wing who just declared for the NBA Draft. "I always liked UConn, so it's going to be interesting."

Other

20209552-mmmain.jpg

Arcadis, an Engineering Firm, to Move 250 Jobs From Dewitt to Downtown Syracuse (PS; Moriarty)

An engineering firm plans to move its offices and more than 250 employees from DeWitt to downtown Syracuse this fall, continuing a trend of professional services firms relocating from suburbia to a resurging city center.

Arcadis, which entered the Central New York market when it acquired Blasland, Bouck & Lee in 2005, has signed a 10-year lease for 40,000 square feet of space on three floors of One Lincoln Center at 110 W. Fayette St.
The design and consultancy firm's lease at 6723 Towpath Road in DeWitt, where BB&L set up shop more than 30 years ago, will expire early next year. Lowell McBurney, Arcadis' region director, said the company decided it wanted a more prominent location that was part of the city's increasingly vibrant downtown community to help with its recruiting of young talent to its staff.

"A lot of our growth is focused on recruiting young talent, and that means having a vibrant, cutting-edge office environment," he said.

One Lincoln Center is a 17-story office tower between South Salina Street and South Clinton Street in the heart of downtown, just half a block east of Armory Square, a former warehouse district now full of trendy bars, restaurants and boutiques.

Effy Defensive Team of the NCAA Tournament (minimum four games played)
Syracuse

For SI’s study on the most dominant NCAA tourney title runs of the analytics era, I ran competition-adjusted efficiency splits on every team that reached the 2016 Elite Eight. And while the main conclusion was that Villanova had the most dominant title run of the entire era, the data also indicated that Syracuse had 2016’s most impressive defensive NCAA tournament. The Orange’s adjusted defensive efficiency over five games was 0.877 PPP, just beating out ‘Nova’s 0.881. The Final Four game against North Carolina was a flop, but prior to that, the Orange held Dayton and Middle Tennessee to under 0.850 PPP and Gonzaga and Virginia, two of the nation’s better offenses, to under 1.000 PPP.