Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Eat-Your-Vegetables-Day-17th-June.png

Welcome to National Eat Your Vegetables Day!

Strategically created in the middle of National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month, this day is the perfect opportunity to re-introduce a healthy portion of vegetables into your diet. No doubt about it, Eat Your Vegetables Day was created to promote a more healthy diet....for life!

On this day, you are encouraged to eat vegetables for every meal, and for a snack. Better still, try to be a vegetarian...for the day. Short of that, any additional vegetables at meal time today will honor the event, as well as make you a little healthier.

We encourage parents to let the kids help with dinner, preparing the salad and vegetables. Along the way, you tell your kids a little about the importance of vegetables for a long and healthy life.

SU News

reddish-1.jpg

Syracuse Basketball Recruiting: Orange Offer 2018 Guard Cam Reddish (TNIAAM; Carey)

The Syracuse staff finally offered Cameron Reddish, one of the top prospects in the class of 2018.

On Wednesday, CuseNation.com reported that Syracuse has offered Cam Reddish, a guard in the class of 2018. Reddish later confirmed he received the offer via his own twitter:

Reddish is a 6-foot 8 small forward from Norristown, PA, right outside of Philadelphia. He is one of the highest-rated prospects in the Class of 2018 and has already visited Syracuse. He holds offers from some big-time college basketball programs such as Duke, UConn, and Villanova.

Reddish has a nice shooting stroke and can also put the ball on the floor. He is a lengthy 6-foot-8 and would fit in nicely with Syracuse’s zone. The combo forward gets to the rim easily, and though he does not appear to be the most athletic player, he finishes well. At this point Reddish’s shooting is more of a strong suit than his athleticism.

Screen-Shot-2016-06-16-at-9.13.07-PM.png

Katie Kolinski Knocking Down Barriers As Syracuse GA - TU (todaysu.com; Holcomb)

Growing up, Katie Kolinski’s sports interests weren’t any different from most kids in Central New York.

For as long as she can remember, she’s watched Syracuse basketball and cheered for the Orange. In sixth grade, Kolinski started participating in basketball leagues herself and played all the way through high school.

But unlike other girls, she said she never felt a strong desire to play in college.

“I thought about it at one point. Maybe try to become a walk-on for the [Syracuse] women’s team, but as soon as I got the manager job, the minute I walked on campus, I realized I loved just working with the men, the coaches,” Kolinski said. “It was a really great opportunity for me.”

Kolinski has turned that chance into yet another opportunity. This fall, she will officially become Syracuse basketball’s first woman grad assistant coach.

“I think it’s remarkable just because it’s not as common,” she said. “I just love breaking down barriers for someone else or showing females that you can do whatever you put your mind to.

“I’ve [been] really blessed. Just the fact that Coach Boeheim and the whole staff was always willing to help me, always making sure I was learning, always making sure I was welcomed. We always say family first, and they really are family.”

NBA Draft rumors: Sixers 'absolutely love' Kris Dunn (nj.com; Giglio)

The 2016 NBA Draft is just under one week away. When Adam Silver steps to the podium in Brooklyn, New York on June 23, the NBA will be altered in both the short and long term.

Here are the latest rumors from around the NBA Draft:

-The Sixers seem to be very, very high on Providence point guard Kris Dunn.
-Syracuse's Malachi Richardson, recently compared to Knicks' Kristaps Porzingis, could be a top-20 pick. The team that has interest in the New Jersey product? Memphis, per Basketball Insiders:

Syracuse's Malachi Richardson is believed to have a soft promise in the teens. He is said to be one of the favorites of the Memphis Grizzlies, who also are also said to have eyes for Demetrius Jackson. This could come down to who's there at No. 17 for the Grizz.

Other

alligatorsurvivorjpg-7b2c1783b40168d1.jpg

How an 8-year-boy at Disney World survived an alligator attack in 1986 (PS; AP)

The death of a 2-year-old boy at a Walt Disney World resort in an alligator attack has brought back some frightening memories for a New Hampshire man who was grabbed by a gator at a Disney campground in 1986, when he was 8.

Paul Santamaria, of Hebron, said he was horrified for the family of Lane Graves, who was snatched by an alligator in shallow water Tuesday at a beach at Disney's Grand Floridian resort, 3 miles from where Santamaria was attacked.

"I have two little girls the age of the boy that was taken, and it was just something that kind of hit home," Santamaria said.

In 1986, Santamaria's family was staying at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground when he was attacked while feeding ducks at a pond. The gator knocked him down, grabbed his leg and started to thrash around and try to pull him into the water, Santamaria said.

He yelled for help. His 12-year-old sister grabbed him under the arms, and his 10-year-old brother started hitting the gator. Santamaria kicked the gator with his other leg.