"I don't think you are good enough"

Three point one four two
Eight five seven one
Three point one four three
One four three
One four three
Three

SU News

Former Pittsburgh player after win over Boeheim's Army: 'We own Syracuse' (PS; Ditota)

They had been planning for Boeheim's Army since Monday, watching videos of old Big East matchups, then switching to videos of new games in The Basketball Tournament. On Thursday afternoon here, The Untouchables performed a walk-through with new plays installed specifically to beat the signature Syracuse 2-3 zone.

During the intervening years from college players to overseas professionals, everything stayed familiar. The Pittsburgh-based Untouchables admitted after their 91-84 elimination of Boeheim's Army from TBT that serious homework was hardly necessary to mow down their Syracuse-based opponent on the way to $2 million.

Their domination of the Orange over the years, they said, provided a roadmap to victory. Their familiarity with the zone boosted their confidence.

"We were looking forward to this matchup. Me and (Antonio Graves) only have one loss to Syracuse, when McNamara had that unbelievable run in the Garden," is how The Untouchables point guard Levance Fields described it. "We just wanted to keep our good streak going against them, even though it's years later. We feel like, no disrespect, but we own Syracuse. We always play well against their zone. And that's what we did tonight."

7213.jpg

Meg Hair of JD Has Mad Skills

2016 Summer Hoops Festival: Central girls team preview (PS; Barbosa)

With an experienced group of players in stow and a focus on an energetic, quick pace of play, Derek Lyons and the Central girls basketball team will be headed to Binghamton for the 2016 Summer Hoops Festival with lots of confidence. Lyons, who finished his seventh season as the head coach of the Fulton girls basketball team last winter, will be at the helm for the tournament from Aug. 5 through Aug. 7 at Johnson City Schools about 75 miles south of Syracuse.

The annual showcase, which has a separate tournament for boys, is sponsored by the Basketball Coaches Assocation of New York (BCANY) and welcomes teams from every section in the state. The weekend also features clinics from college basketball coaches and gives players the opportunity to learn about the college recruiting environment. The event "strongly supports and encourages sportsmanship and the development of high school basketball in New York state" according to the tournament's website.

"I'm going into this with an open mind. I'm going in thinking we'll do well. We have a lot of talent on our team, but I also want us to go in and just have fun," Lyons said. "You've got to put in a couple of things, but basically just let the kids play."

Last year's Central girls team was coached by Cicero-North Syracuse girls basketball coach Eric Smith and Rob Siechen of Jamesville-DeWitt. The 2011 squad, led by C-NS alum Breanna Stewart (2,367 career Summer Hoops Festival points) won the tournament, but the group has not finished in first since.

Syracuse Basketball: C.J. Fair Wonders What's Next After Boeheim's Army (TNIAAM; Keeley)

The former Orange hopes to latch on for another NBA camp but if not, it's a choice between the D-League and going overseas for more money.

Right now, former Syracuse Orange forward C.J. Fair is focused on winning a share of the $2,000,000 prize that Boeheim's Army will collect if they win The Basketball Tournament this summer. After that, however, Fair's money-making plans get a little more unclear.

Fair has spent the last two years in the D-League where he's making no more than $25,000/year (plus free housing). Does he want to give it a go for a third? He's going to at least try to get one more NBA camp tryout before making that decision.

"If a team is interested, I'll take that chance," Fair said. "If I have to go over the water this year and make some money and try again next year, those are my options. I have to make a decision, probably around August."

As Donna Ditota points out, this is quite the crossroads for a player like Fair. He can hack it in the D-League another year and be close to the NBA and opportunity. Or he can go overseas and probably make more money as a professional, though the chances he'll get a look from an NBA team dwindle significantly.

Screen%20shot%202016-07-21%20at%204.jpeg

Hometown kid Dion Waiters to the Sixers? Don't look at Instagram for answers – Metro (metro.us; Macy)

Dion Waiters would be a good fit on Sixers.

They have a big need for guards to compliment Ben Simmons and the various bigs on the roster. They also have a bevy of cap space. And to boot, Waiters grew up in South Philly.

He went to Bartram High but played his high school basketball across the river in New Jersey (before college at Syracuse). Now a free agent, the career 12.8 points per game scorer is looking for a new team, and on Tuesday posted the hashtag "TRUSTTHEPROCESS" on his Instagram account.

The Sixers, of course, famously used that tagline during their painful three-season rebuild under the leadership of departed GM Sam Hinkie. So many would surmise that perhaps the match was made, and the free agent was on his way home.

But not so fast. The video on Instagram, which saw him shooting hoops and clearly practicing for the upcoming season, may have been unrelated to the Sixers.

According to the Philly Inquirer, which quoted a source this week: “That doesn't have anything to do with the Sixers. That’s a mantra that he and his trainer have made for a while. When things weren't doing well at Syracuse, they would say, ‘Trust the process.’ Whenever he goes through a tough time, he says ‘trust the process.’ Right now, he’s trusting the process of free agency.”

With Kevin Durant now in Oakland, the Thunder took back their qualifying offer to Waiters, who seems more and more likely to sign with a new team. Will it be the 76ers? Time will tell — but perhaps Instagram will not.

Other

-658a38ecee908142.jpg

MacKenzie-Childs surprised their customers and opened the Barn Sale 2 hours early (PS; video gallery; Blalock)

Thousands lined up at MacKenzie-Childs in Aurora for the annual four day Barn Sale on Thursday July 20, 2016.

MacKenzie-Childs surprised the early birds with an 6 A.M. entrance to the sale.