Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
International-beer-day.jpg

Welcome to International Beer Day!

The day is finally upon us -- it's International Beer Day and that means it's time to go out and celebrate beer! By celebrating you're joining a community of millions of men and women around the globe, all rejoicing in the deliciousness that is beer. Ready to celebrate? Here's what to do:

Find Your Nearest Celebration
You and your friends are going to need somewhere to go out and drink beer, luckily there are International Beer Day Events taking place all over the world!

And don't worry if there isn't an official celebration nearby, all you really need to celebrate International Beer Day is good beer and good friends -- just grab your pals, grab some brews and go start your own celebration at your favorite local pub.

Give Your Friends the Gift of Beer
One of our favorite International Beer Day traditions is giving the gift of beer! There's nothing quite like being handed a surprise beer and hearing, "I bring you the gift of beer" -- Pick up a six-pack and give each bottle out as a gift, we guarantee you'll make someone's day.

The sun rises in the East, and International Beer Day 2016 has begun!!

SU News

maxresdefault.jpg

The 2017 NBA draft class has one glaring question mark (upsidemotor.com; Magnotti)

The NBA has put an absolute premium on outside shooting in recent years. With the emergence of Steph Curry and the success of teams like the Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spurs, and Cleveland Cavaliers, nearly every team is considering spacing and perimeter threats first and foremost in their offensive team-building structure.

This past year in the NBA Draft, we saw Buddy Hield threaten to go in the top 5, Taurean Prince land in the lottery, and Malachi Richardson go in the 1st round, primarily because of their ability to knock down outside shots. Three-point shooting has become so integral to NBA offenses that even ground-and-pound posts like Enes Kanter have experimented with adding an outside shot. It stands to wit, then, that the 2017 NBA Draft would again see outside shooting as a major factor in who is drafted — and when.

The 2017 NBA Draft class should be loaded from an athleticism standpoint. The class is built around 8-12 freshmen who could all be impact guys right away at the college level. In the Draft Express 2017 mock, three point guards headline the class, as Washington’s Markelle Fultz, N.C. State’s Dennis Smith, and top international prospect Frank Ntilikina all are in the mix for top-5 billing early on. Jayson Tatum of Duke and Josh Jackson of Kansas give the class a pair of absurdly athletic wings, and the top 10 is rounded out by Duke’s Harry Giles and Marques Bolden, Kentucky’s Bam Adebayo, and Texas’s Jarrett Allen in the post. It’s a group that’s heavy on athleticism and defensive potential across the board.
There are reinforcements for this class, of course. There are sure to be several upperclassmen who emerge as perimeter threats in the NCAA this year, and guys like Tyler Lydon of Syracuse and Grayson Allen of Duke have great chances to propel themselves up the draft board with big years. Finnish big Lauri Markkanen should be the premiere stretch forward candidate this year, and players like Malik Monk of Kentucky and Jonathan Isaac of Florida State could easily make a big impression early on with their shot-making abilities.

636059322516747758-XXX-Bob-Costas-11742.JPG

Bob Costas: On pinkeye, how many Olympics he has left (usetoday.com; Brady)

SI.com's Richard Deitsch spoke with Bob Costas about when the NBC fixture might call it quits as primetime Olympic host. Time_Sports

Bob Costas is a baseball guy through and through. Even when he’s talking about the Olympics, the made-for-TV mega event for which he’ll best be remembered, Costas borrows metaphors from the diamond.

He’ll bring his affable, unflappable, reliable presence to the Rio Olympic Games starting Friday night with the opening ceremony. It will be his 11th as NBC’s prime-time host. Add his late-night hosting duties at the Seoul Games in 1988, and Costas is on the cusp of a dozen times as our Olympian ringmaster.

“I’m still standing — barely,” he tells USA TODAY Sports. “It obviously encompasses a pretty good stretch of time. I guess if I was a baseball player — this never occurred to me until you just mentioned it — they’d say I was a four-decade man.”

Costas, 64, means ballplayers such as Eddie Collins, who began in 1906 and played to 1930, and Carlton Fisk, who began in 1969 and played to 1993. Costas began Olympic hosting in 1988 and now here we are in Rio in 2016. That sets up the obvious question: If Costas continues at least through the 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo, he’ll be a five-decade man.

Rio 2016: Syracuse alum Flings Owusu-Agyapong to be flag bearer for Ghana (PS; Axe)

Syracuse University alum Flings Owusu-Agyapong will carry Ghana's flag into the Opening Ceremony of the 2016 Olympics on Friday.

Owusu-Agyapong was selected as the flag bearer for Ghana's 16-person contingent at the Rio Games.

Owusu-Agyapong is one of 11 track and field athletes representing Ghana in Rio. The country will also bring two swimmers, one weightlifter, one judoka and one boxer.

A 2012 graduate of SU who has since been a volunteer assistant with the program, Owusu-Agyapong will race in the 100-meter dash and 4x100 meters at the games.

She is the Orange record holder in the 100-meter dash and was a 2012 Soladay Award nominee at the 'Cuse Awards, considered to be the top honor a Syracuse student-athlete can receive.

Owusu-Agyapong took silver at the 2012 BIG EAST Outdor Championship after earning USTFCCCA Second Team All-American honors in the 60-meter dash during the 2012 indoor campaign. She also earned Honorable Mention All-America honors as a junior in the 100 in 2011.

The Opening Ceremony is this Friday, August 5, at 7 p.m. and will be televised on NBC.

RS392777_D81_0039-mar-660x400.jpg

ESPN’s Matthew Berry Signs Multi-Year Extension Through 2021 - ESPN MediaZone (espn; Yang)

Matthew Berry, the most recognizable and influential personality in fantasy sports, has reached a new contract extension with ESPN to continue as the company’s Senior Fantasy Analyst through 2021.

Berry will continue to write for ESPN.com, host ESPN’s “Fantasy Focus Football” podcast, serve as lead fantasy analyst for Fantasy Football Kickoff and Fantasy Football Now on ESPN2, as well as make regular appearances on Monday Night Countdown, Sunday NFL Countdown, NFL Live, and SportsCenter on ESPN, and more.

“No one works harder or loves his job more than Matthew Berry, and it shows in everything he does for ESPN and the fans we serve,” said Chad Millman, ESPN Vice President and Editorial Director, Domestic Digital Content. “He actually lives the ‘Fantasy Life’ he describes in his writing, which makes his voice uniquely authentic and adds depth and breadth to his analysis. Matthew is the leading voice in fantasysports and this passionate and engaged audience is crucial to every platform at ESPN. Without question we are happy to have Matthew at ESPN for years to come.”

Said Berry, “For what I do, I truly believe I have the best job in the world. The support, enthusiasm and audience for fantasy sports at ESPN are unmatched anywhere in the industry. Whether it’s the “06010” podcast, Fantasy Football Now, my column or any number of areas of the company I’m lucky enough to contribute to, it’s an absolute blast to work with and for so many incredible colleagues. I came to the company over a decade ago and it’s been an amazing journey, for both myself and the game that I love. So I’m thrilled and blessed that I get to continue it with ESPN for a long time to come.I mean, come on. To write and talk about fantasy football for the Worldwide Leader? It doesn’t get better than that.”

Murray State releases 2016-17 basketball schedule (kentuckynewera.com; Staff)

Only Syracuse, Kansas and Arizona can claim longer streaks of college basketball winning seasons than Murray State.

The Racers, who come into the 2016-17 campaign with 29 consecutive years of final records above .500, will face a tough test as they try to make it 30.

Other

Thanos neighborhood market reopens at new Syracuse location (PS; Trimble)

For 97 years, Thanos Import Market has been a stalwart source of Mediterranean items in Syracuse's northern area, but has also played a little musical chairs as well. It opened in its fourth location on Wednesday at Green Street and Hawley Avenue next to Hairanoia, whose owner, Michael DeSalvo, played a part in getting his new tenant.

"Thank God I get my haircut there," said Joe Carni, General Manager for Thanos. "For awhile, we were looking for a new location somewhere in the city that would fit what we were looking for."

Carni's mother, Soula, who bought the store nine years ago, was happy to place the store in a smaller neighborhood to help build a sense of community. It was evident the neighborhood appreciated it with a large crowd and when a bouquet of flowers arrived to her for the opening.