Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
map-plain.png

Welcome to Orange Out Day!

Dear Orange Football Student Season Ticket Holders,

Thank you for your tremendous support of the Orange last Friday in the season-opening victory at the Carrier Dome! We look forward to your energy leading Orange Nation this Friday when we host Louisville in an ORANGE OUT!

Head coach Dino Babers has asked the fans to produce a Sea of ORANGE on Friday. In an effort to accomplish this, McDonald's has partnered with Syracuse University Athletics to provide free tickets for all Syracuse University full-time students.

SU News

usa-today-9020345.0.jpg

Syracuse basketball lineup possibilities for 2016-2017 (TNIAAM; Szuba)

Syracuse is about as deep as the sea floor this year. How can we make sense of it all?

It’s hard to believe a program in the wake of an NCAA investigation and scholarship reduction can put itself in position to be as talented (on paper) and as deep as Syracuse is this year, but that’s just what Jim Boeheim and his assistant have been able to do. Boeheim can go as deep as 10 this season if he so chooses, but we all know how Boeheim do and Boeheim gonna Boeheim.

Personally, I have a feeling Syracuse will go as deep as nine this season with Matthew Moyer bearing the brunt of the hall of famer’s short bench. It might be in Moyer’s best interest to redshirt to fully heal from injury and to save a year of eligibility during a season he’s unlikely to see much PT behind a loaded front-court. But that’s a story for another day.

Taurean Thompson represents the ninth man who is a shoo-in to get cut from the rotation once ACC play rolls around. From the eight men remaining on the roster, you can pick and choose who starts. We conducted this experiment and came up with a plethora of different choices, but perhaps that’s neither here nor there. Or maybe we’re here because we’re not all there. How does that saying go? Anyway.

Eric-Devendorf.png

Eric Devendorf Q&A: Former Orange Star On Playing Abroad (thespun.com; Lombardi)

Former Orange basketball star Eric Devendorf recently chatted with us about playing abroad, Syracuse’s Final Four run, the six-overtime win over UConn and what he did to help during the water crisis in Flint, Mich.
Eric Devendorf, who played for the Syracuse Orange from 2005-09 and averaged 14.5 points per contest during his time on-campus, has had a very interesting professional career since leaving school. We caught up with him this week to talk about what his life has been like the past few years.

The Spun: Tell us what you’re up to these days. We saw that you were playing ball over in New Zealand earlier in the year. What’s that like and what have you been doing since?

Eric Devendorf: Well, New Zealand is beautiful. It’s probably one of my favorite countries that I’ve been to. So I got home from being over there in the beginning of June. Since then I’ve just been working out and staying in shape. Right now I’m still trying to decide if I’m going to stay home with my family and work on my coaching career or go back overseas.

The Spun: We saw you played for Boeheim’s Army again in The Basketball Tournament this past summer. What was it like to play with some of the guys you played with in college? Was it weird or cool?

ED: Oh man, it’s the best. I said it the first time we played, it was the most fun two weeks I’ve had playing basketball. It’s great getting back playing with the guys I used to play with. The guys who played before me, too. We all know each other. We all keep in touch. Besides playing with them, it’s just good to be around them. It’s a fun environment being around those guys.

Other

21071308-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse engineering firm buys North Carolina company (PS; Moriarty)

OBG, formerly known as the O'Brien & Gere engineering company, has acquired Penta Engineering, an industrial engineering company based in Charlotte, N.C.

Syracuse-based OBG said the acquisition supports its commitment to growing its business across the Southeast and Midwest, where Penta has clients, and to focusing on the design and construction of capital projects in the industrial manufacturing market. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

"One of our key strategic growth initiatives is to expand our industrial manufacturing business across the Southeast and Midwest," Jeffrey Rogers, OBG senior vice president and leader of the company's advanced manufacturing business, said in a statement Thursday.

Penta employs 80 people in Charlotte and at an office in Winston-Salem, N.C. OBG said both offices will remain open and no jobs will be lost as a result of the acquisition. OBG has an office in Raleigh, N.C., which also will remain open, the company said.

OBG employs 850 people in 24 offices, including 350 at its headquarters at Washington Station in Armory Square and 65 at its manufacturing and technology development facility at 7600 Morgan Road in Clay.

Penta provides project planning, preliminary and detailed design, and construction support services in the chemical process, metals and industrial engineering fields.

OrangeXtreme said:

I love Rak. Hopefully he is spending some time with Chukwu. That would probably benefit the both of them tremendously.