Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-sundae-day-november-11.png

Welcome to National Sundae Day!

National Sundae Day | Charles Taggart's Blog

I sit enjoying a national tradition on a Sunday, now this late evening, taking a deserved break after doing more reading and research for things to write in the future… I sit back enjoying a bowl of something cold, sweet tasting, that truly melts in my mouth, tantalizing taste of vanilla, chocolate and the sweet sensation of a cherry, all in one spoonful… Such a simple treat on a Sunday evening, spoon upon spoonful enjoying a Sundae…

Not too far from me just up the road some and around a few bends is the birthplace of the Sundae; Ithaca, New York who claims the oldest known serving and proof of this delightful dish… Back in the day, many drugstores often had a Soda Fountain that served soda & ice cream within them… One such place was Platt & Colt Pharmacy in downtown Ithaca…

It was 1892 and supposedly Reverend John M. Scott visited the soda fountain often after church at Platt & Colt Pharmacy, one day he received a mistake, they had spilled Cherry juice on his vanilla ice cream. He so enjoyed it they named it in memory of the day, a Sundae, served with vanilla, cherry juice and a cherry on top… Ithaca is able to claim it being the oldest known server of the Sundae by an advertisement from the Ithaca Daily Journal on April 5, 1892, where Owner Chester Platt of Platt & Colt Pharmacy paid for the advertisement…

SU News

Outlook and prediction — 2016 Syracuse Basketball preview - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

It is highly unlikely that any team will ever repeat what Syracuse accomplished in the 2016-2017 season. The team, which banned itself from postseason play the year prior (and was likely an NIT team without that ban), knew going into the season that they would be without head coach Jim Boeheim for its first nine conference games. It was expected to finish below the middle of the pack in the ACC, a reasonable projection for a team that lost an all-conference big man and had trouble scoring with him the year previous.

The team started hot, though, winning its first half dozen games, including beating a pair of ranked teams in the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament over Thanksgiving. After the Orange lost their first game, the NCAA then upheld their suspension of Boeheim, only making it start immediately, six games earlier than originally expected. Mike Hopkins coached in Boeheim’s place, but the team went 4-5 in that span.

SU struggled to a 9-9 conference record, marked by some strong performances and puzzling losses, then had their rally fall short against Pittsburgh in the ACC Tournament. The Orange squeaked into the NCAA Tournament with a 19-13 record as a ten-seed and turned their season around, reaching the Final Four before bowing out, the fifth time Boeheim had guided the Orange that far in the postseason.

That team is long gone, though, as forward Malachi Richardson and do-everything guard Michael Gbinije were both selected in the NBA draft. Trevor Cooney, who stands third in school history in three-pointers made, also graduated, leaving just two returning starters. Those two will be joined by a pair of graduate student transfers, a couple of last year’s reserves expecting larger roles on the team, and three incoming freshmen who are consensus top-100 recruits.

2017 basketball recruit John Petty picks Alabama, so where does UK look next? (kentucky.com; Roberts)

Kentucky is still in the mix for several players at his position.

Shai Alexander — the No. 46 recruit in the Scout rankings — is a 6-4 combo guard from Hamilton, Ont., and he will announce his college decision Monday. UK is the favorite for Alexander.

Lonnie Walker — a 6-4 shooting guard from Reading, Pa. — could announce a college decision during the early period, which ends Wednesday. Walker visited UK last weekend, and At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.’s Evan Daniels told the Herald-Leader this week that he considered Kentucky and Arizona to be the two favorites in his recruitment. Scout ranks Walker as the No. 23 player in the class.

UK is also recruiting Hamidou Diallo, a 6-5 shooting guard from Queens, N.Y., ranked by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. as the No. 10 overall prospect in the 2017 class and the best player at his position. Diallo recently narrowed his list to UK, Arizona, Indiana, Kansas, Syracuse and UConn. A post-grad player, Diallo would also have the option of entering the 2017 NBA Draft. If he goes the college route, UK and UConn have been the schools most talked about as possible favorites, though Diallo has not said much about his recruitment.

Diallo is not expected to make a decision regarding his basketball future until the spring.

UK is also recruiting five-star point guards Quade Green, who announces his decision Nov. 19, and Trae Young, who is likely to reveal a college choice this winter.

The Cats landed commitments from five-star frontcourt players Nick Richards and PJ Washington earlier in the day Thursday.

TNIAAP: Syracuse basketball season preview (TNIAAM; Cassillo/Lyons)

With Syracuse Orange men’s basketball season starting this Friday, we celebrate with TWO separate podcasts this week. Today’s will focus on every aspect of the upcoming SU hoops season. Tomorrow is football, as usual.

In this week’s episode, John Cassillo is joined by Dan Lyons to preview the 2016-17 Syracuse men’s basketball season in its entirety, laugh at Boston College, and of course, mention some beer. Some of the larger talking points:

• What’s Tyler Lydon’s ceiling on a team that actually has other scoring options?
  • Reminding you that Syracuse players leaving early for the NBA’s fine...
  • The ACC could put 12 teams in the NCAAs this year and we tell you how (sorta)
  • Jim Boeheim has more lineup options than he’ll know what to do with
  • Fine, Andrew White III could be the next Demetris Nichols
  • Predicting the Orange season, game-by-game (plus jokes)
  • Want more beer? Follow John and Dan on Untappd!

2016-11-01-suindy2hf0663jpg-51c7fc127cd1d1dc.jpg

Exclusive- Meet Syracuse Basketball freshman Taurean Thompson (cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

Meet Taurean Thompson.

Unique in his size at 6'10" and physicality as a true freshman, someone Jim Boeheim says "is more advanced than most freshman forwards."

There's more to Thompson than his skill set that sets him apart from most.

Despite embarking on his first year of college, Thompson has no social media presence.

He is off the millenial grid.

I asked Taurean how he handled the recruiting cycle and its ever-invasive qualities on social media, he smiled and responded "I don't have social media, so I was oblivious to it".

Taurean is certainly glad he was, his recruiting process didn't end until July 1, when he settled on the Orange.

Since then, it's been full steam ahead, he's even earning high praise from Jim Boeheim.

"He’s probably our best mid-range post player. I think he’s got a chance to help us out down there and he rebounds the ball really well" Boeheim said recently.

Thompson knows he can live up to that billing and more this winter.

"Here (at Syracuse) you have no choice but to get better. This is what I've been asking for my whole life, I can't ask for anything more" Thompson told me.

upload_2016-11-11_6-54-36.png

How will announcers butcher 2016-2017 Syracuse basketball names? (TNIAAM; Keeley)

It’s that special time of the year: The Syracuse Orange basketball team is about to begin their season.

It’s also another special time of the year: When announcers who didn’t do their homework have to pronounce the names of the players on the team.

It’s a fascinating, ongoing trend that we’ve been tracking for years (and even has a Twitterfeed). And not just for basketball either. The Cooney Brothers and Michael Binajee are gone but their memory will live on in whatever made-up names Big Ten, ACC, and ESPN announcers come up with. Let’s take a guess as to what they might come up with.

Frank Howard
Fred Howard
Howard Franklin
Hank Freidken

Andrew White III
Andrew White II
Anthony White
Angus Wade IV

John Gillon
John Gallon
Gil Johnson
John Gbinije

Taurean Thompson
Taurus Thompson

Inside Colgate's basketball program: What drives players as they prepare for Syracuse? (newyorkupstate.com; Ditota)

Stuck with a lengthy layover at an unfamiliar airport last year, Ryan Diew searched for an app to help him find food and other distractions as he waited for his flight. When he discovered no such app existed, the Colgate basketball player set about designing his own model.

He spent part of winter break last season coding and building the app. That work carried over to last summer. Diew won Colgate's version of Shark Tank and collected about $32,000 from the university to fund his project. Trippie debuted October 1, before the start of the 2016-17 Colgate basketball season. Diew graduates in May with a degree in computer science. He has halfheartedly sent out feelers to places like Google, where he interned a couple summers ago. But Diew believes in his app, wants to make a living with projects like it.

But for all his outward academic and budding professional success, Diew shares a secret. He's passionate about his project. But what he really loves is basketball. Enough to spend four hours a day working on his game, despite diminishing returns. Diew played a single minute in a single game last season.

"I came to Colgate with the intention of playing on the basketball team. I just love basketball," he said. "I could have gone to a couple Division III basketball programs, but I really value basketball. I value the work it takes, the time that I put in. It's my favorite sport. I love that Colgate gave me an opportunity to play here. It's awesome."

Atlantic Coast Conference preview (richmond.com; Barber)

Five games to watch

Duke vs. Kansas, Tuesday: Two of the nation’s top preseason teams — and two very serious Final Four contenders — meet at Madison Square Garden in one of the nation’s biggest early-season contest. Both teams have star freshmen who will be introduced to much of the nation in this game.

North Carolina vs. Kentucky, Dec. 17:Another top-10 matchup pits the Tar Heels against John Calipari’s Wildcats in Las Vegas. The Tar Heels were the national runners-up last season, losing in a classic championship game to Villanova, and play one of the country’s toughest nonconference slates.

Kentucky at Louisville, Dec. 21: Part of a daunting stretch for Rick Pitino’s team, which hosts Kentucky and Virginia, then plays Indiana in Indianapolis in a span of 10 days.

Virginia at Villanova, Jan. 29: The Cavaliers, who lost to Syracuse with a trip to the Final Four on the line, get a shot at the national champions as part of a tough nonconference schedule. U.Va. beat the Wildcats last season in Charlottesville.

Duke at North Carolina, March 4: Less than a month after their game at Cameron Indoor, the Blue Devils go to the Dean Dome to take on their arch-rival in a game that could have ACC championship and NCAA tournament seeding implications.

Did You Know?

1 The ACC led all conferences with three teams in the top 10 and five in the top 20 of The Associated Press preseason Top 25 poll. No. 1 Duke, No. 6 North Carolina, No. 8 Virginia, No. 13 Louisville and No. 19 Syracuse open the year ranked.
2 With 601 wins among its 15 current members, the ACC is the all-time winningest conference in NCAA tournament history.
3 Seven of past 16 NCAA basketball titles have been won by teams currently competing in the ACC.
4 The ACC is the only conference in NCAA history to have four active coaches with 700 or more career wins: Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski (1,043), Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim (884), North Carolina’s Roy Williams (783) and Louisville’s Rick Pitino (745).
5 Last season, the ACC had three of the top four teams in the nation when it came to drawing fans. Syracuse led the league and ranked second in the nation in attendance, averaging 21,592 fans at the Carrier Dome. Louisville was third in the country, and North Carolina ranked fourth.

Other

21496969-mmmain.jpg

Beer Belly Deli's eclectic, casual vibe draws young weekend crowds (nightlife review) (PS; Russo)

An arrow-shaped whiteboard directs customers from the front doors into a deceivingly large space.

Four big tables and booths run along the right and a row of two-tops line the exposed brick wall on the left. The bar, situated in the back, has a kitchen behind it and a narrow hall to the side that leads to the bathrooms and courtyard.

The decor seems intentionally unintentional. Clusters of hanging lights encased in mason jars hang from the wood panel ceiling. Local art, antique signs and mismatched glassware seem both random and curated.

The unfinished concrete floor combines various red, gray and white tones. It gives off a vibe that says "we could care less, but we're not careless."

The crowd

On a recent Friday, about 40 people packed into the bar between 10 and 11 p.m. Most seemed in the mid-20s to 30s age range.

Almost everyone was sitting in groups of at least four or five, engaged in conversation. Dressed in worn flannels, a surprising amount of tennis shoes and a few beanies, they looked like they had just filmed the pilot of "Portlandia."

The music

The music was loud but no one seemed bothered by it. An employee's phone connected to an aux cord shuffled through a mix of rock music by artists like Iggy Pop. No one danced, stood around, or opened the game drawer to pull out Jenga or Settlers of Catan.

Hmm. I had no idea they cancelled Veteran's Day.

Scoop is going to play some ball again