Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
baklava.jpg

Welcome to National Baklava Day

Five Food Finds about Baklava
  • Baklava is the ancestor of strudel.
  • It was brought to Hungary by Turkish invaders in the 16th century.
  • A dessert cake of Turkey, Greece and the Middle East, created sometime before the 16th century.
  • Baklava consists of 30 or more sheets of phyllo dough brushed with lots of butter, and layered with finely chopped pistachios, walnuts, and/or almonds.
  • After baking, a syrup of honey, rose water and lemon juice (sometimes spiced with cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, etc) is poured over the pastry and allowed to soak in.
SU News

21539009-mmmain.jpg

Quade Green's decision is crucial to Syracuse basketball plans for 2017 (PS; Waters)

This Saturday, in a ceremony at his high school, Quade Green will announce where he will attend college.

Green, a senior guard at Neumann-Goretti High School in Philadelphia, Pa., will make his selection. He had narrowed his list down to five finalists, including Syracuse, Kentucky, Villanova, Duke and Temple. On Wednesday, Carl Arrigale, Green's high school coach, told the Lexington Herald-Leader that Green's choice was between Syracuse and Kentucky.

Each of those schools has something at stake regarding Green's decision, but none more so than Syracuse.

Green could be one of the most important recruits for Syracuse in a very long time. This is true in terms of the time spent recruiting him, the specific emphasis placed on recruiting him, his potential impact on the program and the glaring need for a player of his ability,

Syracuse offered Green a scholarship in June. Not this past June. June of 2015. Green had just finished his sophomore year at Neumann-Goretti.

"You hear a lot of comparisons, but some people say he's Kyle Lowry with a jump shot,'' Arrigale said at the time. "At that size, you gotta shoot to be great, and he's a great shooter.''

The Syracuse coaches have focused their efforts on Green to the extent that other point guards in the 2017 class crossed Syracuse off their lists. In some cases, Syracuse decided not to go after some point guards, making Green their primary target. Syracuse didn't offer scholarships to New York City point guards Jose Alvarado (Georgia Tech) and Isaiah Washington (Minnesota). Another 2017 point guard Matt Coleman of Oak Hill Academy cancelled his official visit to Syracuse earlier this fall in a decision that seemed mutual.

upload_2016-11-17_8-34-47.jpeg

Monmouth's King Rice, Rick Callahan, returning to Syracuse roots (app.com; Newman)

King Rice and Rick Callahan's friendship has roots in Syracuse. Friday, the two will coach Monmouth University together against the Orange at the Carrier Dome
That positive impression Callahan made on Rice was not a one-way street. Thirty-three years after he met Rice, Callahan can still recall that week at camp.

"He has a great charisma to rally people around a common goal, whether it's as a player and team captain, or as an assistant coach, or as a head coach," Callahan said. "Those things were apparent when he was in the eighth grade. He was a vivacious, young, energetic eighth-grader at camp and that was probably one of the first times he ever left Binghamton. He had a great basketball experience, and he was one of those kids you gravitated to.

"I was probably 21, 22, 23 years old. Him and his two friends, Robbie Middlebrooks and Ricky Coleman, were just awesome to be around. You loved being around them and from day one, we struck up a friendship."

Monmouth's trip to the Carrier Dome is a big deal for both men. For Callahan, this is a homecoming. As a child growing up in Syracuse, he used to listen to Orange broadcasts in bed with a transistor radio. He went away for college, earning a degree from Salem College in West Virginia in 1980, but he found his way home by breaking into coaching on Boeheim's staff. Callahan still has a lot of family in the area on his father's side.

For Rice, a 1987 McDonald's All-American and still very much a big name in Central New York, his choosing Syracuse seemed preordained. That is, until a Halloween weekend official visit to the University of North Carolina changed his mind. He wound up signing with late, legendary Tar Heels head coach Dean Smith, eventually quarterbacking the program to the Final Four in 1991.

"I thought that, not just people," Rice said. "From eighth grade up until I visited North Carolina, I was going to Syracuse. It was going to take something very special to make me switch; I always thought I was going to Syracuse."

0521152001479336745_usatodaysportsimages.jpg.jpg

CollegeSportsCoverage :: Can The ACC Match the 2011 Big East? (collegesportscoverage.com; Jansen)

The Big East was constantly regarded as one of if not the best conferences year in and year out regarding college basketball. However, since the conference was torn to shreds and the ACC grabbed Pitt, Louisville, Notre Dame, and Syracuse the Atlantic Coast Conference has been the undisputed king of college basketball. This year they are undoubtedly the best conference so far, holding 5, AP Top 25 teams including 2 in the Top 5 (as of now), and 5 more receiving votes. For comparison the Big East had 4 Top 25 teams, and 3 receiving votes. The question I have this year is not are they the best conference this year, but can they become the best conference of all time.

Big East Bids
Pittsburgh (1), Notre Dame (2), UConn (3), Syracuse (3), Louisville (4), West Virginia (5), Cincinnati (6), Georgetown (6), St John's (6), Villanova (9), Marquette (11). That's 11 of the league's 16 teams in the national tournament, including the future national champion.

Potential ACC Bids
Locks: Duke, North Carolina, Virginia

Safely In: Syracuse, NC State, Louisville

Bubble (IN): Florida St., Pitt, Virginia Tech, Miami

Bubble (OUT): Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Notre Dame

Just Try To Win A Conference Game: Boston College

Other

20706462-mmmain.jpg

Cuomo: Want Uber in Upstate NY? Call your lawmaker (PS; AP)

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says upstate residents who want to see Uber in cities like Buffalo, Syracuse and Rochester should call their state lawmakers.

The Democratic governor told reporters this week that it will take public pressure to get lawmakers to support Uber's expansion plan.

The app-based ride-hailing service is legally prohibited from operating outside of New York City. The company wants the Legislature to lift that ban when they return to Albany next year.

On Thursday, Uber released a new poll of 800 people living outside New York City that shows 80 percent support for its expansion.

Meanwhile, the Upstate Transportation Association is urging lawmakers to require Uber to fingerprint drivers, like it does in New York City.

This list was perfect. I can't argue with anyone on the list or the order. I like how they recognize the part that Moten played in keeping the program afloat during the probation before Wallace came.

Matt Schneidman ‏@matt_schneidman
Jim Boeheim heads on a teleconference following South Carolina head coach Frank Martin at the top of the hour. SU plays USC next Saturday.

Jim Boeheim asked about extending series with So. Carolina: "I'm kind of on a short term here, so I don't think too much about the future."

Boeheim on Monmouth, Syracuse's opponent tomorrow: "They've got all the ingredients to have a great team. Tournament team for sure."

Donna Ditota ‏@DonnaDitota1
"Both our grad transfers are playing extremely well. It's nice to have two veteran guys." Jim Boeheim on Gillon, White "stabilizing" team.

Boeheim on Monmouth: "Great guards, great ball-handling. This is a tournament team for sure."

Boeheim said he'll be thinking about Brooklyn's Pearl Washington when the Orange plays at the Barclays Center.

Boeheim said he's seen Chris McCullough a few times when he's visited Syracuse. Has encouraged him to stay positive, keep working hard.

Last edited: