Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
bobby-petrino.jpg

Welcome to National Hairball Awareness Day!

National Hairball Awareness Day is observed annually on the last Friday in April. This day is listed as one of the Pet Health Awareness Events of the American Veterinary Medical Association. The formation of hairballs is a common feline condition that is brought on by self-grooming and the associated ingestion of hair.

HOW TO OBSERVE

Observe National Hairball Day by becoming educated about this condition. Visit Press Releases - Latest Hill's Pet News and Info | Hill's Pet to learn about things you can do to prevent your cat from developing hairballs. Share your love for your cat using #HairballAwarenessDay on social media.

SU News

Today turned out to be an homage to Newhouse and the Daily Orange. Enjoy.

Since the start of the century, 12 former Syracuse men's basketball players have left school early for the NBA Draft. From Carmelo Anthony to Tyler Lydon, this examines how their NBA careers panned out and whether or not its fair to judge their decision to leave early after the fact.

12342395_1121052414573859_4172336300026520493_n.jpg

Schneidman: Hack reflects on 744 bylines at 744 Ostrom Ave. (DO; Schneidman)

If there is one symbol, number, icon – anything – that I’d choose to represent my four years here, it would be the number 744.

In white wooden numerals, right there on the door coated in chipped red paint, the three digits each secured by two nails greet you every time. The inside may be a bit musty and the vending machine only semi-functional, but those who have labored inside the confines of 744 Ostrom Ave. know how much the house means.

For at least four nights every week, editors work until the early morning producing The Daily Orange. That was my life for four semesters — first as an assistant sports copy editor, then two semesters as an assistant sports editor and one semester as sports editor — and at times I wanted nothing more than to walk right back past that “744” and into my house to sleep.

Thankfully I didn’t, or else I probably wouldn’t be here writing my final story for The Daily Orange, which also happens to be my 744th.

Some of the 744 stories were crap, some a little better, from softball game stories to subpar football features to a longform men’s basketball story after I flew an entire country’s length. A couple of weeks back, after Mike Hopkins surprisingly left Syracuse after 22 years as Jim Boeheim’s assistant for his first head-coaching job at Washington, I flew to Seattle to sit down with Hopkins after his introductory press conference.

As I entered a room for our one-on-one, I went for a handshake. Hopkins has always been personable and a pleasure to deal with, but I wasn’t expecting the full bear hug he engulfed me in. “Cuse Mafia,” he shouted at me. “… You have two tickets to a game here anytime!”

Schwedelson: Hack realizes reporting about sports isn’t really about sports (DO; Schwedelson)

As a child, my daily routine consisted of waking up at 5 or 6 a.m., rushing downstairs, turning the TV to SportsCenter and playing Backyard sports games on my family’s desktop computer. When I was even younger than that, my dad was concerned that I knew the name of every NFL team before I knew every letter in the alphabet.

Something about sports drew me in. I’m not entirely certain what, but I became hooked. MVP Baseball 2004 had the best soundtrack of any video game in history, playing catch and basketball with friends became the norm and epic two-hand touch football games at recess occurred daily.

Playing was fun but discussing the games was even more enjoyable. When friends played, I enjoyed narrating the action. It continued through high school doing broadcasts for my TV production class.

But once I got to college, my interests evolved. As I watched the teams I grew up watching less and less, I began to realize the games don’t quite matter as much as I used to think. Wins and losses come and go all the time. And as I got more and more involved with The Daily Orange, I fell in love with telling stories that transcend what people see on TV. What I realized was reporting about sports is only partially about sports.

Grossman: Hack writes letter to freshman self (DO; Grossman)

To my freshman-year self:

We have a lot to go over about these next four years. Let’s get to it.

Understand how lucky you are to accidentally meet the assistant sports editor before school starts. Most of your best friends at The Daily Orange won’t start for months, or even next year.

When you finally land that first women’s soccer assignment, don’t believe the SID’s email about the 7:10 a.m. media opportunity at Hookway Field. Go back to bed. You don’t even know where South Campus is. Busses don’t start running until 7:20 a.m. The SID won’t even be there when you finally arrive, anyway. You will just get drenched by a small monsoon as you decide if it’s right to interrupt their practice for your first-ever interviews. Don’t try emailing the head coach and players afterward, either. They won’t respond.

You’re not too cool or too good to cover women’s soccer. Don’t act like it. All you’ve done is start a San Francisco Giants blog no one’s heard of. (They’ll hear about it eventually, and you’ll wish they hadn’t.)

Don’t get on the Nob Hill bus. It won’t take you to the women’s ice hockey game downtown.

Despite Paul showing up to his first softball game coverage with six pens, two notebooks and a clipboard, don’t resent him for it. You could use a lesson about preparation. Plus, you’re about to spend more time with him over the next four years than you thought you’d ever spend with one person.

A Q&A with Conor Orr of NFL.com on the journalism “bro network,” the value of J-school and being from Scranton (30letterwordpress.com)

Every week we will run a Q&A with a wonderful reporter to talk about what’s right and wrong with journalism, their interests and random other stuff. Some are friends. Some are just people whose work we really respect. Some cover sports. Some don’t. Hopefully all will be interesting.

This week, it’s with Conor Orr, a national football reporter for NFL.com. Conor is a go-to source for all things National Football League, and with the season getting underway, now is the perfect time to have him as a guest. Like Jared, he also is a former sports editor of The Daily Orange, which is another big point in his favor.

If you want this Q&A delivered in your inbox every week and before everyone else, sign up for the -30- newsletter here and get the scoop.

The questions are in bold. The answers are not.

1. How did you break into journalism and land at the job you hold now?

My break came thanks to two people: Andy McCullough, now the Dodgers beat writer for the Los Angeles Times and Drew Van Esselstyn, then the sports editor of the Star-Ledger. Andy was an intern at the time and I was a senior at the Daily Orange looking for a post-graduate internship. I applied to 50 papers — at the time, I only wanted to work at a newspaper — and only heard back from the Ledger. Andy would let me know when Drew was in his office, so I would scramble to my computer and send emails about how much I enjoyed the Sunday sections he put together or an enterprise story one of his writers put together. But the thing was, I meant every word. Drew ran the best sports section in the country for a long time. Mike Garafolo on the Giants, Jenny Vrentas on the Jets, Marc Carig on the Yankees, Brendan Prunty on colleges, Tom Luicci on Rutgers, Steve Politi winning award after award for his columns, Matt Stanmyre and Jackie Friedman doing high school enterprise and the sage Dave Hutchinson making it all run with his dogged work ethic. And Drew did it with class and understanding. He was funny and compassionate and smart. The way he treated his staff was something all of us came to truly appreciate later on in our careers.

A Q&A with the Los Angeles Times’ Andy McCullough on the insecurity of writing, what the Royals did for his career, and Twitter schtick (30letter.wordpress.com)

Every week we will run a Q&A with a wonderful reporter to talk about what’s right and wrong with journalism, their interests and random other stuff. Some are friends. Some are just people whose work we really respect. Some cover sports. Some don’t. Hopefully all will be interesting.

This week, it’s with Andy McCullough of the Los Angeles Times. Andy worked with Mike at The Star-Ledger and went to school with Jared at Syracuse. Much more relevantly, he is one of the elite baseball beat writers in the country. He covers the Dodgers now, and used to cover the Mets, Yankees and Royals. He talks about the insecurity of writing, what it’s like to be part of the story and Twitter schtick. And he set a new -30- record for F bombs.

If you want this Q&A delivered in your inbox every week and before everyone else,sign up for the -30- newsletter here and get the scoop.

The questions are in bold. The answers are not.

1. How did you break into journalism and land at the job you hold now?

I love reading, man. It is my favorite thing on the planet. When I was a kid, my parents used to yell at me for reading Goosebumps books at the dinner table. I got scolded in high school for reading Nabokov in math class. Before I went to college, I had read pretty much every Stephen King novel and every Philip Roth novel. My personality tends toward the obsessive.

In high school, I wanted to do something in the arts, but I couldn’t figure out a discipline. I am not funny enough to do standup. I am not creative enough to write screenplays. I like purchasing goods and services, so the idea of writing fiction seemed silly. I pondered becoming a lawyer, before I realized I lacked the patience to go through seven years of school. So, journalism! The books that made me want to be a writer, “The Fight” by Norman Mailer and “FridayNight Lights,” were both written as journalism. I wanted to write like that.

Other

alexs-on-the-water-2-both-alexsonthewater-instagramjpg-e44d5989afac965a.jpg

CNY's best outdoor dining spots: 17 top places for eating al fresco (PS; Pucci)

Alex's on the Water
Some folks only see the Oswego Harbor once a year during Harborfest, which is a shame, because it's one of the best sights in a city full of beautiful vistas. Alex's on the Water, opened in 2013 inside the Best Western Hotel, has a chic dining room, but the real treasures are found in the glass-enclosed bar or open patio.

Last edited:
I never realized Andy McCullough is a Syracuse grad. He was excellent when he covered the Royals for a few years here in KC.