Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Michaelmas%202014%20-%20Webiste%20Event%20Image.jpg

Welcome to Michaelmas!

Michaelmas is a Christian festival celebrated by some Western churches. Its name derives from the phrase "Michael's Mass", similar to how Christmas comes from "Christ's Mass". Michael is the greatest of the archangels, and defeats Satan in the war of heaven in the Book of Revelation. He also is the protector against the darkness of night. Michaelmas was started in the 5th century after a basilica was dedicated to Michael. The day now honors Michael and all the other angels. At one time it was obligatory to participate in Mass on the day, but that was discontinued in the 18th century. It is associated with autumn and the shortening of days, and in some countries—such as Britain and Ireland—it is known as one of the four "quarter days", along with Lady Day, Midsummer, and Christmas. On these days, servants were hired, rents were due, or leases were signed. This also once was looked at as the end of the harvest season. Geese are also strongly associated with the day, as geese were sometimes offered to landowners as part of their rent on the day. Also, it is believed that Queen Elizabeth I heard of the defeat of the Spanish Armada when she was eating goose, and decided she would eat goose again on Michaelmas. A tradition in Britain also was the eating of a fattened goose after the harvest, to protect against financial problems in the coming year.

SU News

2016-12-27-sucornell2hf0507-1jpg-1bdc6daab612cbcb.jpg

Syracuse basketball: 5 key questions facing Orange as practice begins (PS; Waters)

Lost in this week's blaring headlines regarding an FBI investigation that has exposed college basketball's dark underbelly, the 2017-18 season begins on Friday.

It's kind of hard to focus on jump shots and zone defense when the feds are taking down college basketball coaches and sneaker company execs with wire-taps and sting operations.

Who needs a coach's whiteboard when the U.S. Attorney's office is augmenting a press conference with diagrams on posters to show where the money went?

But in a little over a month, the college basketball season will begin and for Syracuse that night will be Friday, Nov. 10, when the Orange hosts Cornell in the regular season opener.

And in preparation for that big event, provided neither school finds itself on the FBI's Most Wanted list before then, practice must commence.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim will field a lineup that looks far different from the one that fell just short of an NCAA tournament bid last March and wound up in the NIT. Gone are 5th-year grad transfers Andrew White and John Gillon. Sophomore forward Tyler Lydon left early for the NBA and is now a rookie with the Denver Nuggets.

Mike Waters "On The Block" 9-28 (espnur.com; podcast)

Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters joins Brent “On The Block” to talk about the FBI investigation into Adidas and college basketball before transitioning to Syracuse basketball just days before practice opens.

Syracuse Orange: College hoops bribery allegations are stunning, yet unsurprising (itlh.com; Adler)

Just as the college-basketball season gets set to start, the federal government unveiled a potentially massive scandal. ITLH takes a look.
College basketball is easily my favorite sport.

Not merely because I attended Syracuse University and absolutely adore Syracuse Orange hoops.

There are so many wonderful attributes surrounding collegiate ball.

Preseason tournaments. An intense regular season featuring storied rivalries. March Madness, chock full of upsets during the opening weekend, and resulting in the treasured Final Four.

I could go on and on about how much I crave this cherished pastime, whose upcoming campaign kicks off in only several short weeks.

But I won’t.
Rather, it’s time to talk about the truly awful direction in which my beloved sport is heading. And, unfortunately, has been – for quite a while.

Scandals in college athletics are nothing new. Not in the least. They have occurred for decades.

College basketball 2017-18: Preseason previews (greensboro.com; Staff)

It's been a momentous week for college basketball. But the round balls will begin bouncing Friday as practices begin at Division I universities in preparation for season openers on Nov. 10. A team-by-team look at the Big Four teams plus the Triad's Division I programs going into preseason practice, provided by News & Record staff writers Brant Wilkerson-New and Jeff Mills and Winston-Salem Journal staff writer Conor O'Neill.

Duke
Last season: 28-9, 11-7 ACC; lost in second round of NCAA tournament.

Key losses: G Luke Kennard (19.5 points, 5.1 rebounds); G Jayson Tatum (16.8 points, 7.3 rebounds); G Frank Jackson (10.9 points); F Amile Jefferson (10.9 points, 8.4 rebounds); G Matt Jones (7.0 points); F Harry Giles (3.9 points, 3.8 rebounds); F Chase Jeter (2.6 points).

Key returning players: G Grayson Allen, F Marques Bolden, F Javin DeLaurier.

Recruiting class: PG Trevon Duval, G Jordan Goldwire, G Gary Trent Jr., G Alex O’Connell, F Jordan Tucker, F Marvin Bagley III, F Wendell Carter Jr.

Other

new-jersey-unemployment-ff94fd581977aeac.jpg

National coffee day 2017: 12 freebies, deals from Dunkin, McDonald's, more (PS; Axelson)

National Coffee Day 2017 is Friday, September 29, and that means freebies, deals and special offers from some of your favorite chains across the country.

You can find all the gas stations, restaurants and coffee makers with special offers in Upstate New York below, so find a deal, grab some java and enjoy your Friday freebie.

COFFEE SHOPS AND RESTAURANTS

Baskin Robbins
Small Cappuccino Blast blended coffee for $2.99 through the month of October.

Get a FREE 12oz coffee on 9/29 all day! #SweetTalk pic.twitter.com/idbG6adT9U

-- Cinnabon (@Cinnabon) September 26, 2017

Cinnabon
Free 12-oz coffee all day on Friday.

Celebrate #NationalCoffeeDay, 9/29, with a FREE Medium hot coffee when you purchase a Medium or Larger hot coffee! [?] [?][?] pic.twitter.com/uEhAeKjCl0

-- Dunkin' Donuts (@DunkinDonuts) September 26, 2017

Dunkin Donuts
Buy one medium, large or extra large hot coffee, get a second medium hot coffee free. Try fall themed flavors like Maple Pecan and Pumpkin.

My 12 year old grandson has stronger looking legs than Dolezaj.