Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Do-Something-Nice-Day-October-5-1024x512.jpg

Welcome to Do Something Nice Day!

Yesterday you may have celebrated International Toot Your Own Flute Day, where you spent the day being selfish and thinking only about yourself. Today is a day to be selfless and think about others. Not only should you think about them, but you should put your thoughts into actions by doing something nice for them. Whatever you do should be done not because it will evoke a positive response from someone else, but because your are doing it from your heart. So often we go through our days in a hurry and don't think about the effect on someone else that stopping and pausing to do something nice will have. Today is a day to set a foundation of kindness that hopefully will stay long after this day has passed.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: 2017-18 season preview for the Orange (bustingbrackets.com; Freeman)

Syracuse basketball is starting to feel the effects of the sanctions levied down on them. After missing the tournament a year ago, do they have enough to return?

When the NCAA came down with punishments for Syracuse’s violations, the attention was paid to Jim Boeheim’s ACC suspension and the school self-imposing a postseason ban. The punishment that will have the lasting effect is their scholarship reduction, though.

Coming off of a miracle Final Four run two years ago, the Orange came into last year scrambling for more talent. They picked up a couple of graduate transfer guards to make up for the lack of talent, but it wasn’t enough.

The team was very poor offensively, struggling to score more than 60 points at times. Alarming losses to Georgetown and Connecticut, a couple of teams who had down years themselves, were a problem until the home blowout loss to St. John’s which really opened eyes.

By the time conference play started, fans were in an uproar over the team. An injury to a big man forced younger players to get more playing time than expected. Then came the disastrous loss to Boston College, giving up an absurd 96 points.

Just as fans were giving up, Boeheim restricted the rotation to just six players, with some players staying in for whole games. They managed to pick up some huge victories against Virginia, Florida State, and Duke, but the non-conference disasters were just too much for the committee, sending them to the NIT.

Of the six players who played major minutes, five are gone, including Taurean Thompson, who surprisingly decided to transfer to Seton Hall late in the summer.

With a completely new roster still reeling from the sanctions, this will have to be Boeheim’s best coaching job to get this team dancing.

FullSizeRender.jpg.0.jpeg

Jalen Carey Commits to Syracuse | Otto's Grove (.com; Kelly)

Well, this is certainly unexpected but phenomenal news. At this point we pretty much all expected Jalen Carey to wind up in Orange, but the word had been that he’d be committing on his birthday, which is a week from today. Apparently, the 6-foot-3 point guard from New Jersey didn’t feel like waiting that long.

Breaking: Jalen Carey (@yungswae5) announces his commitment.

: @HoopMajor pic.twitter.com/L1Wj5M4dol

— Pat Lawless (@PatLawless_) October 4, 2017

I’ll be honest here guys, this caught me completely off guard. Usually, I wait until at least a day or two in advance to get something written up when I hear someone is likely to commit, but right now, I’m writing this completely on the fly. Here’s the funny part: I was just on my Facebook page making a terrible joke about how I needed to find a good place to use “Yub Nub” (the original post-Death Star destruction song from Return of the Jedi) since George Lucas wasn’t using it anymore, when suddenly the perfect opportunity came up as I checked back in on Twitter to see that Syracuse’s most coveted prospect had pulled the trigger a week early.

At this point if you’ve been reading this site at any point over the past few months, you know my position on Jalen Carey. To say that I’m extremely high on his ability and potential would be a dramatic understatement. He can score. He can handle. He can pass. He’s long. He’s athletic. He’s smooth as all hell. I’m still baffled by the fact that he’s not a consensus top 25 kid in the class of 2018, because from what I’ve seen of him, he’s just that good.

Big Wednesday In ACC Recruiting (dukebasketball.com; King)

Three big recruiting stories Wednesday: first, after getting swept up in the Adidas scandal, Nasir Little somewhat abruptly chose UNC.

Second, Jalen Carey, a top 40 point guard, chose Syracuse over UConn (he eliminated Miami due to the scandal).

And third, Louisville had another defection when hometown recruit David Johnson bailed.

That puts Louisville basically back to ground zero.

As far as Little goes, his parents were adamant that he wasn’t involved in the scandal and took no money.

The only fair thing to do is to take them at their word. Best of luck to him at UNC.

Of course he has no guarantee that UNC will be spared the wrath of the NCAA either, depending on what happens in their case.

Other

-e8c0b11d608691ff.jpg

Upstate NY weather: Another forecast calls for cold, snowier-than-normal winter (PS; Coin)

Expect a cold, snowier-than-normal winter this year in Upstate New York, Accuweather said today in its long-term forecast.

"A chilly winter is in store for the Northeast and mid-Atlantic, particularly when compared to last year," Accuweather said. "For most of both regions, this will translate to an above-normal snow season."

The forecast specifically named Buffalo, Cleveland and Erie as lake-effect snow cities that will see "high totals" of snow.

"I think this year is going to bring a good ski season in the Northeast," meteorologist Paul Pastelok said. "And around the holidays we should have some snow for the interior Northeast."

Areas of the West will be even snowier thanks to a developing La Nina in the eastern Pacific Ocean, Accuweather said.

It's not the first prediction for a colder, snowier winter. The Farmers' Almanac said "snowier-than-normal conditions are expected" in the Great Lakes and Northeast.

On the other hand, the Old Farmer's Almanac is predicting a warm, wet winter.

Take your pick.

The scientists at the federal Climate Prediction Center are playing it safe, saying there are equal chances for normal, above normal and below normal snowfall in the Northeast. Same with temperature.