Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
PI-Mammography_1.png

Welcome to National Mammography Day!

National Mammography Day is observed annually on the third Friday in October as part of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

This day serves as a reminder to all women that the best defense is early detection. A mammogram can often detect a problem before there is any outward physical sign. Make sure you get your regular checkups.

SU News

0811-file-jordanjpg-c341e166fc20dbaf.jpg

On this date: Michael Jordan 'dazzles' fans at Carrier Dome in 1992 (PS; Croyle)

Through the years, Syracuse has seen many of the country's top athletes perform on their home turf.

Jim Brown played football and lacrosse for Syracuse University, Wilt Chamberlain set an NBA record against the Syracuse Nats, Jake LaMotta fought here and Babe Ruth played some exhibition games.

Twenty-five years ago, on Oct. 20, 1992, arguably basketball's greatest player, Michael Jordan, "dazzled" in front of 28,000 fans at the Carrier Dome. (Jordan had made three appearances at the Dome as a North Carolina Tar Heel.)

The exhibition game against the New Jersey Nets and Jordan's Chicago Bulls figured to feature 'His Airness,' fresh off winning his first NBA championship and Syracuse legend Derrick Coleman.

But it was Jordan's participation with the United States team, the famous Dream Team, at the 1992 Summer Olympics at Barcelona which threatened his appearance at the Dome.

In August, Jordan told the New York Times that the Bulls' run to the title followed by the Olympics might mean that he had to take a longer offseason vacation.

"I have no plans to attend," Jordan said, referring to Bulls' training camp, "I know they'll ask me for a time frame and I probably can't give them one. I'm speaking in terms of my psychological preparation for next season. I'm not going to be ready."

-0b574b6008226b31.JPG

Did Syracuse basketball get any votes in USA Today preseason coaches poll? (PS; Axe)

The Syracuse University men's basketball team may have official underdog status to start the 2017-18 season.

The USA Today preseason Top 25 coaches poll was released on Thursday and the Orange was not included on the list.

Not only did the Orange fail to crack the poll, Jim Boeheim's squad didn't receive a single vote.

Below is a look at the 2017 preseason poll. Syracuse will face two of the Top 5 teams on the list (Duke, Kansas) and six (Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Miami, Notre Dame, Louisville) overall this season.

ACC Coaching Gets A Youth Movement (dukebasketballreport.com; Jacobs)

ACC coaches just got younger, much younger. That’s collectively, not individually. No going back, fellas.

There are still five head coach who qualify for Social Security -- Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim (72), Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski (70), Florida State’s Leonard Hamilton (69), Miami’s Jim Larranaga (68), and North Carolina’s Roy Williams (67). All but Hamilton have directed a team to the Final Four.

There’s a 40-year spread between Boeheim and Dave Padgett, an assistant elevated as Louisville’s “acting” head coach as of this writing. Padgett is not only one of the youngest head coaches in ACC history at age 32, but remarkably shares the same birth date with Krzyzewski, 38 years his elder. Padgett is 30 years younger than the man he replaced, Hall of Famer Rick Pitino.

For purposes of comparison, Dean Smith was 30 when he took over at North Carolina in 1961 and 66 when he retired in 1997. Jeff Jones was barely 30 when he replaced Terry Holland at Virginia in 1990.

Padgett is the third active ACC coach directing the program at his alma mater, after Williams at North Carolina and Boeheim at Syracuse. Assuming Padgett remains in place, he becomes the seventh of 15 ACC coaches with four or fewer years at his current post.

Other

Top 30 New York colleges with the best food on campus, ranked (newyorkupstate.com; Huynh)

College and food are two significant things in life. Both nourishes your brain and emotions. Eating at the dining halls on campus is usually pretty blah with large, cafeteria-style establishments. However, some colleges provide top notch meal plans.

Niche, a company that researches and compiles information on schools, published a ranking of the 2018 Best College Food in New York. The ranking is based on meal plan costs and student reviews.

See if your school provides a delicious dining experience below.

#30 Le Moyne College, Syracuse
Best College Food in America: #497
Tuition cost: $33,030
Meal plan: $4,850

#29 SUNY College of Agriculture & Technology at Cobleskill
Best College Food in America: #482
Tuition cost: $7,929 (in-state) and $17,779 (out-of-state)
Meal plan: $5,218

#28 SUNY Geneseo
Best College Food in America: #478
Tuition cost: $8,176 (in-state) and $18,026 (out-of-state)
Meal plan: $5,144