Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Opposite Day!

Ever wanted to be a rebel? Now is your chance. Don’t celebrate Opposite Day on January 25 by doing everything the wrong way.

While it is unclear who created this Opposite Day and for what purposes, rumor has it that the unofficial holiday comes from a playground game, where children trick each other by asking silly questions and then reversing the answers.

The holiday is also sometimes called National Opposite Day in the United States.

SU News

2018-01-24-dn-sumen26jpg-eda944cd9415b169.jpg

BC at Syracuse: Final Score and Reactions (bcinterruption.com; Bent)

Syracuse 81- BC 63

The Eagles had early success against the zone in this one and were able to find open shooters hanging around the 3-point line while the Orange defense swarmed to the ball. They were a perfect four for their first four from deep. As the half wore on and Syracuse corrected their defenseive lapses on the outside, BC began to struggle. Orange center Paschal Chukwuharassed Nik Popovic and Johncarlos Reyes under the rim and BC’s attempts to whip the ball back outside resulted in several unforced turnovers. The Eagle defense looked a step too slow, failing to close the gap to contest shots. They upped the defensive intensity and rebounding in the final two minutes and knocked down a pair of 3s to reduce the Orange lead, which had been as much as 16, to 47-37 at the half.

The game went from bad to worse in the second half. Steffon Mitchell took a hard elbow to the head in the first half, and did not return for the second. Luka Kraljevic saw substantial minutes, along with Reyes, Ervins Meznieks, and Vin Baker Jr. Jerome Robinson and Ky Bowmannever stopped battling, finishing with 21 and 20 respectively, but the offense as a whole could not establish any real rhythm against the Syracuse zone. The defensive effort was one of the worst this season, and Syracuse was able to do what they wanted with the ball for the most part; they shot better than 60% the entire game. The end result was an 81-63 victory for the Orange.

Syracuse Basketball: Orange crush suffocates Boston College Eagles (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Balanced offensive attack leads the Syracuse basketball team to victory. ITLH breaks down the huge win for the Orange in the loud house.

There was a bit of rust displayed at the beginning of the game for the Syracuse basketball squad. That was particularly the case on the defensive end with the Orange’s lackadaisical approach in guarding from beyond the arc.

The Boston College Eagles ended up canning 11 shots from downtown and really caused a lot of issues. But the Orange didn’t let it get to them and really rode some hot offensive shooting to a dominant victory over the Golden Eagles.

Enter Oshae Brissett who got off to a hot start and really displayed some nice NBA moves. We saw step back jumpers and a refined shot that we haven’t seen consistently this season. While it seemed early on that we were going to see THE game for Brissett in an Orange uniform, the spotlight was taken from some other Cuse stars.

Battle leads Syracuse basketball over Boston College (AP)

Five Syracuse players scored in double figures and the Orange rode an 11-0 run early in the second half to defeat Boston College 81-63 in Wednesday night’s Atlantic Coast Conference matchup at the Carrier Dome.

Tyus Battle led Syracuse (14-6, 3-4 Atlantic Coast Conference), scoring 15 of his 24 points in the second half. Frank Howard added 18 and Paschal Chukwu chipped in with 14. Oshae Brissett had 13 and Marek Dolezaj scored a career-high 12 points.

Brissett, Chukwu and Battle played the entire 40 minutes.

The Eagles (13-8, 3-5) were led by Jerome Robinson’s 21 and Ky Bowman had 20.

The Orange shot 60 percent from the field (29 for 48) and 44 percent (7 for 16) from beyond the arc. The Eagles hit four consecutive 3s to start the game but were 7 of 19 the rest of the game.

Syracuse took advantage of 17 BC turnovers and scored 17 points on Eagles miscues.

Syracuse went on an 11-0 run in the first five minutes of the second half to extend to a 58-40 lead. BC closed to 67-55 on Bowman’s 3-pointer but two foul shots by Chukwu and a 3-pointer by Battle gave Syracuse breathing room down the stretch.

Lonnie-Walker-by-Eric-Espada-Getty-Images-Miami-Louisville-2017-DRC-1456_bll09p.jpg

Lonnie Walker

Miami basketball: Lonnie Walker wills Hurricanes past Louisville in OT (diehards.com; Wilson)

Miami basketball needed about half a dozen different things to go wrong during the final minute to potentially blow a late lead against Louisville at the Watsco Center on Wednesday night.

The Hurricanes led by 4 on two different occasions during the last 18 seconds, but missed free throws prevented the lead from getting any bigger. Extra chances off offensive rebounds allowed them a few more cracks at icing the game.

And yet when the Cardinals’ Ryan McMahon sprinted to the left corner for and took a briefly open 3-pointer with 3 seconds left, he did so with a chance to take the lead. Miami gave the Cardinals every chance to claw back time and time again during overtime and a catch-and-shoot opportunity for McMahon, Louisville was one shot away.

But the shot did not go, and the Hurricanes hung on, 78-75.

The Hurricanes’ hero throughout Wednesday night saved them one last time. Lonnie Walker flew to the corner just a beat behind McMahon. What Walker lost in jumping to chase McMahon a beat too late, he made up for with his 6-foot-5 length and 5-star athleticism. The star shooting guard flew to the ball and barely got his fingertips upon it. Walker preserved Miami’s 2-point lead and a crucial ACC win.

Latest ACC loss for Pitt stings more than others (triblive.com; DiPaola)

Pitt coach Kevin Stallings' hope as he left Petersen Events Center on Wednesday night is all losses are created equal and affect the loser the same way.

If that's not true, though, Pitt might have a difficult time getting over its 72-68 defeat to N.C. State (14-7, 4-4) before a crowd of 2,566.

Pitt (8-13, 0-8) stretched its ACC losing streak to eight in the most discouraging way possible, building three 11-point leads in the second half — the last with 9 minutes, 6 seconds left in the game — before going through another in a long line of scoreless stretches and watching the opponent use it to win the game.

"Losing should never feel OK," Stallings said. "It doesn't matter if it's a close loss or a big loss.

Yet, he conceded this much: "There was a certain guy or two or three who were more dejected with this one. A loss is a loss, but we'll keep battling."

Terance Mann's career night helps FSU top Georgia Tech, improve to .500 in ACC play (orlandosentinel.com; Deen)

Florida State junior forward Terance Mann knew he was heating up.

But it was not until his seventh straight basket in a row, a fade away jumper at the halftime buzzer, that Mann knew he was in store for a special night.

“That’s when I knew,” Mann said with a smile, after scoring a career-high 30 points to help FSU edge out an 88-77 victory over a pesky Georgia Tech team at the Donald L. Tucker Center on Wednesday night.

Mann and FSU’s young basketball team are continuing to gain the resilience needed to compete in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The Seminoles (15-5, 4-4 ACC), who have squandered double-digit halftime leads to their own demise in ACC play this season, showed persistence in the second half to win their second straight game ahead of a highly anticipated rematch against Miami on Saturday at 4 p.m.

Most important, Florida State also improved to .500 in ACC play after the win over the Yellow Jackets (10-10 3-4).

Other

2018-supermoonjpg-1b03b300f13da306.jpg

Supermoon, blue moon and eclipse on January 31: How to see it, what to look for (PS; Axelson)

The final week of January is going to be a true spectacle for even the most casual stargazer. A rare trio of lunar events will happen all in the space of just 24 hours: A blue moon, a super moon and a total lunar eclipse.

Below, you can find everything you need to know about each celestial occurrence, and how best to see each one.

SUPERMOON: What is it?

A supermoon, or a perigean full moon, is one that occurs when the moon is at its closest point to Earth during the course of its orbit. This may cause the moon to appear slightly bigger than an average full moon.

Last edited:
oie_qJPhIOho5YiH.jpg

Baye Moussa Keita reflects on Syracuse career, Hopkins leaving, Sidibe comparisons - The Juice Online (the juice; podcast; Cheng)

Former Syracuse star Baye Moussa Keita calls in to chat about his playing career, Mike Hopkins leaving the Orange, and the current team on The Juice on the Cuse Podcast hosted by SNY.tv. Wes also talks about Oklahoma transfer Abdul Adams coming to Syracuse.

Here are the highlights from the show:

Wes Cheng: Catch us up on what you’ve been up to since graduation.

Baye Moussa Keita: When I graduated, that summer, I worked out with Oklahoma City and I tried out with a couple of NBA teams. After that I went overseas. I’m from Senegal and lived in New York, and I wanted to live overseas. I played my first year in Denmark and I won a national championship there. Second year, I started in Belgium, but things didn’t really go the way I wanted, and I left and went back to Denmark and won another championship. I won two championships and a cup with my Danish team. Currently, I’m working with the NBA with game strategy analysis.