Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Image-Lotus-123.jpg

Welcome to Lotus-1-2-3 Day!

It's a day to celebrate spreadsheets, which as easy as 1-2-3, because on this date in 1983, Lotus began to sell its best-selling, user-friendly spreadsheet for Microsoft DOS.

Lotus 1-2-3 wasn't the first spreadsheet program for microcomputers, though.

I bought my first computer before there was such a thing as a “PC” or IBM Personal Computer. I bought an Apple II, which was then very big in the very small microcomputer market. I remember hearing about this new kind of software – a spreadsheet program, whatever that was – called VisiCalc. It turned out that VisiCalc made Apple much more popular as a home and small business computer. A few years later, Lotus 1-2-3 did the same thing for the new PCs. Nowadays the most popular spreadsheet program is Excel.

SU News

Syracuse Sports Podcast: Chris Carlson talks SU Hoops and Carrier Dome 2.0 (PS; podcsat; Axe)

Was the Syracuse University basketball team's 81-63 win over Boston College a break from the norm or the start of an offensive revival?

Syracuse.com's Chris Carlson and I sit down to talk SU hoops on this week's version of the Syracuse Sports Podcast.

Among the topics Chris and I discuss:

• The Orange's win over Boston College and where they are clearly improving as a team
  • How much did the extra practice time help?
  • Oshae Brissett's development and what kind of player he can turn into for Syracuse
  • Marek Dolezaj's role and his improvement on the offensive end
  • Jim Boeheim's coaching style and why he seems content with this team
  • The upcoming Carrier Dome renovations. What the new Dome roof could look like and how important that is the skyline of Syracuse.
You can listen to the Syracuse Sports Podcast presented by Bill Rapp Superstore below.

usa_today_10562777.jpg

Syracuse Basketball: Matthew Moyer injury update (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Some bad news for the Syracuse basketball team following a huge win over the Boston College Eagles. ITLH breaks down what the Matthew Moyer injury means.

The Syracuse basketball team got a thrilling win over the Boston College Eagles 81-63. SU is now on a two game winning streak. The team has some great momentum going.

But everything isn’t peaches and cream. Early in the matchup between SU and BC, Matthew Moyer went up for a rebound and came down awkwardly on his ankle.

I was in the loud house and there was a large gasp and several long seconds of silence as Moyer clutched his lower leg.

Moyer spent several minutes on the ground before being helped to his feet. Ultimately he was able to limp off under his own power. Later he was ruled out for the rest of the game with what has been diagnosed as an ankle sprain.

“It’s a sprained ankle,” Jim Boeheim said per Syracuse.com. “He could be out a while.”

Other

A1graphics1.25-1.jpg

Syracuse University’s $3,300 tuition premium is unusually pricey, experts say (DO; Strauss)

It’s not unusual for major universities to rebase tuition or, in other words, add a set amount of money into total tuition costs on top of normal tuition increases, experts say.

But some higher education experts said the tuition rebase Syracuse University plans to execute next fall to start the 2018-19 academic year is unusually pricey.

“Some colleges have much smaller initiatives, but $3,300 a year is quite large,” said Robert Kelchen, an assistant professor in the department of education leadership, management and policy at Seton Hall University.

SU, as part of a five-year $100 million academic fundraising pledge, plans to rebase tuition by adding a $3,300 premium into total tuition costs for first-year and transfer students.

It’s not uncommon for colleges to rebase tuition in small increments to pay for special projects such as a new academic building or program, an expert said, but SU’s plan is unique in some ways.

Last edited:
Image-Lotus-123.jpg

Welcome to Lotus-1-2-3 Day!

It's a day to celebrate spreadsheets, which as easy as 1-2-3, because on this date in 1983, Lotus began to sell its best-selling, user-friendly spreadsheet for Microsoft DOS.

Lotus 1-2-3 wasn't the first spreadsheet program for microcomputers, though.

I bought my first computer before there was such a thing as a “PC” or IBM Personal Computer. I bought an Apple II, which was then very big in the very small microcomputer market. I remember hearing about this new kind of software – a spreadsheet program, whatever that was – called VisiCalc. It turned out that VisiCalc made Apple much more popular as a home and small business computer. A few years later, Lotus 1-2-3 did the same thing for the new PCs. Nowadays the most popular spreadsheet program is Excel.
lol - so much time spent using 1-2-3. Yes, I am old (technology-wise, at least).

And I even used the mainframe version of VisiCalc. Painful, but it worked. If you liked adding 2 rows of 4 numbers. ;)

lol - so much time spent using 1-2-3. Yes, I am old (technology-wise, at least).

And I even used the mainframe version of VisiCalc. Painful, but it worked. If you liked adding 2 rows of 4 numbers. ;)
At least:).