Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
polish-culture-9-638.jpg

Welcome to Fat Thursday!

Fat Thursday[note 1] is a traditional Christian feast marking the last Thursday before Lent and is associated with the celebration of Carnival. Because Lent is a time of fasting, the next opportunity to feast would not be until Laetare Sunday[1][2], and after that not until Easter. Traditionally it is a day dedicated to eating, when people meet in their homes or cafés with their friends and relatives and eat large quantities of sweets, cakes and other meals usually not eaten during Lent. Among the most popular all-national dishes served on that day are pączki in Poland[3][4] or berliner, fist-sized donuts filled with rose marmalade, and angel wings (faworki), French dough fingers served with powdered sugar.

SU News

MBB_vsPitt_Michalek_SP-1.jpg

How former walk-on Braedon Bayer became Syracuse’s 1st guard off the bench (DO; Gutierrez)

In Braedon Bayer’s mind, six weeks of 8 a.m. workouts with former Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon and associate head coach Adrian Autry meant he’d earned a walk-on spot. Or at least the right to ask whether he’d be on the team in the fall. He was, after all, sleeping on Lydon’s South Campus couch for summer 2016.

“I didn’t have a place to stay,” Bayer said. “I thought I would be living in my car. That’s how much I was like, ‘Screw it. I want to be on this team.’”

Lydon played AAU basketball with Bayer and convinced him to try to make the SU team from a Division III school in Iowa. One day in July 2016, after several weeks of tryout-like workouts, Bayer asked Lydon for a little more help. Bayer was unsure if he was on the team. Lydon walked into the office of then-head coach designate Mike Hopkins to find out.

“I don’t know, let’s go ask,” Hopkins said, and they walked nearby to head coach Jim Boeheim’s office. Hopkins asked the same question to Boeheim, who looked up from a USA Today newspaper.

“Yeah, he’s on the team,” Boeheim said nonchalantly, then went back to reading.

UM staves off Wake Forest with barrage of threes (miamiherald.com; Kaufman)

The Miami Hurricanes, back into the Top 25 and eager to prove they belong there, staved off pesky Wake Forest 87-81 on Wednesday night.

UM sank six three-pointers after the break — including three from substitute Sam Waardenburg — to pull ahead when Wake Forest was getting dangerously close. The Demon Deacons clawed their way back into the game on the shoulders of Bryant Crawford and Chaundee Brown (43 points combined), but the Canes made enough free throws down the stretch to hang on.

A2_Courtesy.jpg

Doral Moore shines at center in 3rd year at Wake Forest (DO; Heyen)

Most human beings do not measure up to 7-foot-1, 280-pound Doral Moore.

Someone seeing him play basketball for the first time might find the plays he makes larger than life. But the things Moore can do on the floor don’t shock his teammates anymore.

“We get used to it,” said Olivier Sarr, Wake Forest’s freshman center. “He just dunks on everybody … He will catch it up at the top of the backboard and dunk on everybody.”

Moore, a junior from Atlanta, will bring that raw power to the Carrier Dome on Sunday when he and Wake Forest (9-15, 2-10 Atlantic Coast) take on Syracuse (16-8, 5-6). In a six-point Demon Deacons’ win against SU on Jan. 3, Moore scored eight points, grabbed nine rebounds and blocked three shots. He didn’t shine at Wake Forest right away. It took top-level coaching, learning from star teammates and a look in the mirror to turn Moore into the player he is now.

“I’ve grown the most this year,” Moore said. “… Put the right amount of effort in to be successful.”

Moore’s height doesn’t really make sense to him. He said his mother is about 5-foot-11 and his father is 6-foot-3. On Sunday, Moore will face off, at least in part, against SU’s 7-foot-2 Paschal Chukwu, one of the only players in the ACC taller than Moore.

“It’s always fun to play somebody bigger than me,” Moore said. “You’re not used to it.”

Top 75 boys basketball players of all time from CNY high schools: Who got snubbed? (PS; Weidner and Miller)

After months research and debate, we published a list yesterday of the top 75 high school boys basketball players to come out of Central New York. The rankings came from a large group of hall of fame coaches, former all-star players, referees, athletic directors and sports writers.

At the end of the rankings, we included a list of players also considered who just missed the cut.

We asked readers to chime in on who they thought should have made the list, and we asked your opinions on the order in which these players were ranked.

Here are some players you thought should've made the cut along with your feedback:

Jon Button, Bishop Grimes, Class of 1970

From ADP: How is it possible that Jon Button from Bishop Grimes did not make the list? He was offered scholarships from New Mexico State (New Mexico State had Jimmy Collins on the team, who was voted No. 1 on the list) and Providence in 1970. Also, he hit the 1,000 points mark before the 3-point line was in existence. I'm sorry, but this is an insult to anyone who knew the caliber of a player he was.

Other

14106979-mmmain.jpg

Lobbyist Todd Howe's hand in failed Syracuse stadium plan revealed in corruption trial (PS; Knauss)

The lobbyist at the center of a trial looking at alleged corruption in state government was also at the center of a controversial 2013 plan to build a new Syracuse University sports stadium.

Ex-lobbyist Todd Howe testified Tuesday that in January 2014 he had been working with Cor Development Co. on a "project that involved the governor in Syracuse.'' The project was abandoned, which led to hard feelings that Howe wanted to patch over by arranging a visit to the governor's office by Cor executive Steven Aiello.

"This time period had just been a pretty difficult time period for Steve and myself because we were involved in a project that involved the governor in Syracuse, and it didn't -- it never materialized,'' Howe testified. "But the governor was pretty upset with me, and Steve took a lot of heat from the local folks about this project.''

Howe never identifies the failed project explicitly. But it's clear from what he says that he is talking about a project promoted by Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney to develop a $500 million stadium near downtown Syracuse to replace the Carrier Dome.

Last edited:
This article is very interesting. Syracuse was way ahead of the rest of the current ACC teams in having African-Americans on the team. Of course, many of the schools are in the south, but that does not excuse Boston College

This article is very interesting. Syracuse was way ahead of the rest of the current ACC teams in having African-Americans on the team. Of course, many of the schools are in the south, but that does not excuse Boston College
Decades ahead.