Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Happy-National-Grilled-Cheese-Day.jpg.jpg

Welcome to National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!

A simple combination of bread, cheese, and a little butter has become one of the greatest comfort foods ever created: the grilled cheese sandwich! Cheese and bread have been being combined since the ancient Romans, but it wasn't until the twentieth century that the grilled cheese sandwich began to take shape.

Two factors set the stage for the rise of grilled cheese: inexpensive processed cheese and sliced bread. James L. Kraft opened his first cheese plant in 1914 in Illinois. The following year he invented pasteurized cheese—cheap processed cheese that wouldn't spoil when it was being transported long distances. Shortly thereafter, in the late 1920s, sliced bread came on the market. The sandwiches made at this time often had names like "toasted cheese" and "melted cheese." Recipes had grated cheese with a binder such as salad dressing, white sauce, or mustard.

SU News

AP_18033232642306.jpg

Could Mike Hopkins ever see himself returning to Syracuse basketball? (PS; Waters)

Mike Hopkins was supposed to be the next head coach at Syracuse University.

That all changed a year ago when Hopkins, a former Syracuse player and longtime assistant to SU coach Jim Boeheim, accepted the head coaching job at Washington.

"There were many opportunities,'' Hopkins said. "And then this one. This one was different.''

When his agent came to him last March with the prospects of the Washington job, Hopkins pursued it more intently than any of the previous times.

"I wanted a job where I could be forever,'' Hopkins said. "A place where I could build own legacy. That's why I took it here.''

Washington certainly has all the properties of a forever job. The university's gorgeous campus sits on the edge of Lake Washington with Mount Rainier looming in the distance. The city of Seattle offers professional teams like the NFL's Seahawks and MLB's Mariners, in addition to a steady stream of high quality recruits.

Hopkins talks about his family's ties to the area and the school's embrace of his energetic style.

But what about the job he might have had? Could Hopkins ever see himself returning to Syracuse?

"You're supposed to never say never, but I don't want the people here to read that the wrong way,'' Hopkins said. "This is an incredible opportunity that's been given to me. When you get this type of opportunity, you can't take it with another job in mind. Not even one like Syracuse.''

Khalil_Whitney_Hoop_Major_large.png

Syracuse Basketball coaches connecting with two class of 2019 studs (itlh.com; Adler)

The Syracuse basketball squad remains quite active in the recruiting arena, as Orange coaches plan visits to a pair of promising 2019 prospects.
The SU hoops outfit continues to keep extremely busy on the recruiting trail.

Per a tweet from Adam Zagoria of Zagsblog, ‘Cuse head coach Jim Boeheim and one of his assistants, Gerry McNamara, “will see” 2019 power forward Akok Akok this coming Monday. Zagoria adds in his tweet that “UConn and Providence also heavily involved.”

The 6-8 Akok, rated as four stars, is a junior out of the Putnam Science Academy in Putnam, Conn. Syracuse offered him a scholarship about a month ago.

Akok is regarded as a top-100 talent in his class by the bevy of recruiting services.

syracuse-and-former-big-east-rivals-five-years-later (the juice; Auger)

Syracuse’s 69-65 loss to Duke in the NCAA Tournament marked the completion of the Orange’s fifth season in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Jim Boeheim’s penchant for the Waffle House and his favorite southern city, Greensboro, aside, life in the ACC has been interesting, to say the least. But what about the Big East and the former foes Syracuse left behind? Here’s a look at how the Orange and four of its former hoops rivals – Villanova, Connecticut, Georgetown, and St. John’s – have fared since the Big East became the Big Breakup.

Syracuse

The Orange hit the ground running in its first ACC season as it started the 2013-14 campaign with a 25-game win streak and the No. 1 ranking, an out-of-conference victory versus Villanova, and two epic clashes against Duke. Syracuse lost its first ACC Tournament game and, as a 3-seed playing in Buffalo, was bounced by 11-seed Dayton. After that first season, Syracuse has finished with conference records of 9-9, 9-9, 10-8, and 8-10. The Orange missed the post season due to a self-imposed ban in 2014-15, made the Final Four one year later, missed the NCAA Tournament in 2016-17, and, unexpectedly, at least to the “experts”, made the NCAAs this year highlighted by vanquishing 3-seed Michigan State in Detroit. Overall, the Orange split two games with Villanova, went 2-1 against UConn, 1-2 versus Georgetown, and 1-3 against St. John’s.

Villanova

To say it’s good to be Villanova is an understatement. In case you’ve been sleeping under a rock, the Wildcats just won its second national championship in the past three seasons and third overall. This time, Jay Wright’s squad didn’t need a buzzer-beating three-pointer as it did against North Carolina back in 2015-16. Instead, the Wildcats ran Michigan off the court, 79-62. Villanova also won four straight Big East regular season crowns before finishing second to Xavier this past season by one game. The Wildcats have a cumulative record of 165-21 in five seasons since Syracuse left for the ACC.

Report: Coveted Syracuse transfer Matthew Moyer to visit 2 SEC schools (seccountry.com; Davis)

Matthew Moyer, who started 20 games from Syracuse as a freshman before announcing a transfer, will visit a pair of SEC schools in search of a landing spot.

According to college basketball insider Jon Rothstein, Moyer will visit both Florida and Vanderbilt, as well as Texas, Kansas State and Xavier.

Syracuse transfer Matthew Moyer tells me he plans to visit Texas, Kansas State, and Florida in addition to Xavier (this weekend) and Vanderbilt (early May).

— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) April 11, 2018

Moyer is a former 4-star recruit and is currently listed at 6-foot-8, 220 pounds. He averaged just over 3 points and 3 rebounds per game with the Cuse, coming off the bench for the last half of the season.

While he only has one year of playing experience, he’s already used up his redshirt season. He sat out his first year with the Orange with an injury, meaning Moyer will have two years of eligibility remaining at his new school. He will also have to sit out a year, per NCAA transfer guidelines.

The Gators and Commodores could definitely use Moyer’s services going forward. Florida will be looking to replace key players like Chris Chiozza and Egor Koulechov. On the other side, Vandy is bringing in a slew of top recruits that could use a veteran presence as they learn the ropes of SEC basketball.

Other

The Stoop Bakery Cafe's master baker is raising Syracuse's pastry game (video) (PS; Weaver)

When Yemen Tounsi was about 12, he was a handful, he says now. His boyhood antics wore his father down.

"I made him crazy," Tounsi says, laughing.

So his father got him a job at a bakery north of their city, Lyon, France. "He put me there for summer, for punishment," Tounsi says.

The creative parenting succeeded in the best possible way.

Tounsi worked hard, starting at 5 a.m. to meet the exacting standards of a neighborhood baker near one of the world's leading gastronomical cities. He made enough money that first summer to buy himself a pair of Converse sneakers.

The young boy also fell in love with baking.

"Cause it was nice, you know?" he said. "You go there every day, learning new things, you come back home with bread, with pastries."

Now Tounsi is the master baker at The Stoop Kitchen and Stoop Bakery Cafe, which opened in Armory Square last fall. He's 37 - and has 25 years of experience working in bakeries and restaurants throughout Europe and in the United States. Just three years ago, he was invited to join France's team in the World Cup of baking, Louis Lesaffre 2015.

As a youth I did alot of master baking, and even had hopes of becoming a life-long master baker like the guy in the article.
Oh well...I'll just keep master baking every chance I get. Its alot of fun!!! :)

As a youth I did alot of master baking, and even had hopes of becoming a life-long master baker like the guy in the article.
Oh well...I'll just keep master baking every chance I get. Its alot of fun!!! :)

Too much master baking and you’ll go blind.

When you had a recipe for bread, did it require you to let it rise?