Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
5ae9d236dd79e.image.jpg

Welcome to Osun Decision Day!

Osun Osunniyi, a 6-10 center at Putnam (Conn.) Science Academy, has taken his visits and narrowed his college choices to three schools.

Now, the 2018 recruiting prospect has set his announcement date. Osunniyi will announce his college choice on Monday, according to Putnam Science assistant coach Josh Scraba.

Osunniyi will pick from Syracuse, Georgetown and St. Bonaventure. He has visited all three schools within the past two weeks.

Syracuse basketball recruiting target Osun Osunniyi sets announcement date for Monday

SU News

586044ae030c5.image.jpg

Long and short of it: Osunniyi a stud for 'Stangs (pressofatlanticcity.com; McGarry)

Like many sons, Osun Osunniyi measured himself against his father.

Each time the Mainland Regional High School senior basketball standout wanted to see if he had gotten taller, he looked at his father, Fogbenro Osunniyi.

“I knew my dad was 6-1,” Osun said. “I just kept looking at him face to face. By the end of the summer (before his sophomore year), I was looking down on him. When I got past him, I knew I was getting up to 6-2 or 6-3, and I just kept going.”

Osunniyi has grown from a 6-foot-1 freshman into a 6-9 senior who has emerged as one of the Cape-Atlantic League’s top players. He’s averaging 17 points, 11 rebounds and 10.3 blocks for the undefeated Mustangs (3-0) this season.

That Osunniyi would become one of South Jersey’s premier shot blockers seemed farfetched when he was a freshman. Not only was he was just 6-1, but he also came off the bench for the freshman team.

“He wasn’t a bad athlete back then,” Mainland coach Dan Williams said. “You could see for a kid who hadn’t played much he had a nice, smooth shot. At that time, we thought maybe he could end up being a nice-sized 6-4 swingman.”

Syracuse Basketball: NBA teams think Tyus Battle has reached his ceiling (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Former Syracuse basketball star Tyus Battle didn’t make a good impression on NBA teams on day two. ITLH breaks down the news and what it means.
As the 2018 NBA Combine comes to an end, we’re starting to get a better feel on how former Syracuse basketball star Tyus Battle performed.

The early reports suggested that Battle was a ‘disappointment’ and ‘practically invisible’ on day one of the NBA Combine. Hardly the results Battle was hoping for in Chicago.

Well it seems like on day two, things haven’t gotten much better.

Jeremy Woo of Sports Illustrated said that Battle’s ‘stock is falling’ and that NBA teams fear that Battle has already reached his ceiling. Here’s the full quote from his report:
“There was some head-scratching in the bleachers over the decision to place Battle, Allonzo Trier and Jaylen Hands on to one team, grouping three shoot-first guards and making them share one basketball. Unsurprisingly, their team lost one game by 32 points and the other by 27. Battle, in particular, faded into the background this week, struggling to impose his will as a scorer, forcing some shots and displaying very little secondary skill set on offense.

Lyrics not safe for work

Kid was a beast in college and will be a very valuable piece to whoever drafts him.

NCAA Basketball: NCAA Tournament expansion makes little sense (bustingbrackets.com; Walter-Warner)

There is a point in time in which the NCAA Tournament will be too big to handle. That time is drawing ever nearer.
Coaches are meeting this week, breathing in fresh air after dusty smog clogged the sinuses of college basketball this year. Luckily, a spectacular NCAA Tournamentdiverted attention away from a season of scandal.

What if that NCAA Tournament was just a little bit bigger down the road?

That’s one of the pieces of legislation coaches from the ACC requested this week, according to commissioner John Swofford. The proposal would bump the field up four spots, to a total of 72. The new spots would open up the ability for a second “First Four” to be created. (h/t ESPN)

That’s not the only proposal the coaches came up with. They’re also interested in pushing the three-point line back and resetting the shot clock to just 20 seconds after an offensive rebound.

But expanding the NCAA Tournament is the worst idea of the bunch.

What's the hold up on ACC Tournament future sites? :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsports.com; Gravley)

On the final day of the ACC meetings in Florida, Commissioner John Swofford huddled with eight members of the media and after a few overviews, he dove into basketball.

I thought for sure that would be when we would find out future sites for the ACC men's basketball tournament.

Instead, he led off with news of ACC coaches supporting and proposing a four-team expansion of the NCAA Tournament.

Do WHAT? I'm fine with the expansion possibility but don't know if it will happen.

What I wanted to know is where the ACC Tournament will be after Charlotte in 2019 and Greensboro in 2020. That cake of information hasn't cooked long enough and wasn't ready to consume, much to the surprise of Swofford.

"I’d hoped we would be able to come out of here with an announcement but we’re not quite there yet," he said. "Some of it is just the logistics of not only getting a consensus of what’s that right rotation, but it’s also about availability in particular years of venues."

Let me fill in a few blanks on what I have learned since then. Unless things drastically change, don't look for a longterm announcement of future sites.

The ACC Football Championship locked into an agreement with Charlotte until 2030. That ain't happening with hoops. It could be just a two-year plan when the results are announced.

The ACC Tournament is a stone cold lock to go back to Washington, D.C., and they want to go back to New York. Brooklyn is fine but there are enough folks who want to continue to explore playing in Madison Square Garden.

The problem is the longterm agreement that the Big East has through 2026. I doubt the ACC would go the route that the Big Ten did last year where they condensed the regular season schedule and played their tournament a week early at the Garden.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney didn't enjoy it: "Wasn't good. Wasn't healthy. We won't do it again this way."

But the ACC could if there are enough table bangers who insist on playing at the Garden. But I'm sure ESPN would want to keep the North Carolina vs Duke game on the final regular season Saturday, so that's another strike about the ACC playing the tournament a week earlier.

There is very little interest in playing the ACC Tournament any farther south than Charlotte. Atlanta is a logical landing spot but didn't get a lot of support, and many consider that SEC country.

Initially, I wondered if there are enough newcomers to the league, other than Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, that don't see the value or like having the tournament in Greensboro, home of ACC headquarters.

But Greensboro is safe beyond the next announcement of sites, and I would expect Charlotte is as well.

So the big announcement of future sites could be return trips to Washington, D.C. and Brooklyn. We'll just have to sit tight and wait.

Other

852_2018traversstakes.JPG

Saratoga Race Course

Summer bucket list for Upstate NY: 21 unforgettable adventures, vacations and things to do (newyorkupstate.com; D'Imperio)

This summer is the perfect time to start focusing on your bucket list of things to do in Upstate New York. Here is a a whole list of things on my Upstate summer bucket list. How about you? What would you add?

1: Check out a cool, new craft brewery (Plattsburgh)
The Valcour Brewing Company is one of Upstate's newest craft beer venues. Not only do they offer a nice selection of their own signature brews, but they also have a fun menu which includes salads, sandwiches and that North Country favorite, poutine. Plus they are situated in one of Plattsburgh most important historic buildings. The "Old Stone Barracks" are the last existing buildings of an 1838 U.S. Army barracks.

2: Go to an old-fashioned outdoor movie (Unadilla)
At one time, it seemed that every little town and city in Upstate had its very own drive-in movie theater. Sadly, today there is less than a handful still open. For a nostalgic treat, take the young ones for a 1950's outdoor adventure and see a double feature movie at a drive-in! The Unadilla Drive-In (Otsego County) opened on May 29, 1956.

3: Visit an outdoor farmers market (Penn Yan)
The Windmill bills itself as Upstate New York's first (and friendliest) farm and craft market. It first opened over three decades ago. Thousands will attend this summer, scouring over hundreds of vendors booths and tables. Today you will likely have your choice of over 100 different vendors if you go. An average crowd on a good weather summer weekend can top 15,000 people.

5ae9d236dd79e.image.jpg

Welcome to Osun Decision Day!

Osun Osunniyi, a 6-10 center at Putnam (Conn.) Science Academy, has taken his visits and narrowed his college choices to three schools.

Now, the 2018 recruiting prospect has set his announcement date. Osunniyi will announce his college choice on Monday, according to Putnam Science assistant coach Josh Scraba.

Osunniyi will pick from Syracuse, Georgetown and St. Bonaventure. He has visited all three schools within the past two weeks.

Syracuse basketball recruiting target Osun Osunniyi sets announcement date for Monday

SU News

586044ae030c5.image.jpg

Long and short of it: Osunniyi a stud for 'Stangs (pressofatlanticcity.com; McGarry)

Like many sons, Osun Osunniyi measured himself against his father.

Each time the Mainland Regional High School senior basketball standout wanted to see if he had gotten taller, he looked at his father, Fogbenro Osunniyi.

“I knew my dad was 6-1,” Osun said. “I just kept looking at him face to face. By the end of the summer (before his sophomore year), I was looking down on him. When I got past him, I knew I was getting up to 6-2 or 6-3, and I just kept going.”

Osunniyi has grown from a 6-foot-1 freshman into a 6-9 senior who has emerged as one of the Cape-Atlantic League’s top players. He’s averaging 17 points, 11 rebounds and 10.3 blocks for the undefeated Mustangs (3-0) this season.

That Osunniyi would become one of South Jersey’s premier shot blockers seemed farfetched when he was a freshman. Not only was he was just 6-1, but he also came off the bench for the freshman team.

“He wasn’t a bad athlete back then,” Mainland coach Dan Williams said. “You could see for a kid who hadn’t played much he had a nice, smooth shot. At that time, we thought maybe he could end up being a nice-sized 6-4 swingman.”

Syracuse Basketball: NBA teams think Tyus Battle has reached his ceiling (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Former Syracuse basketball star Tyus Battle didn’t make a good impression on NBA teams on day two. ITLH breaks down the news and what it means.
As the 2018 NBA Combine comes to an end, we’re starting to get a better feel on how former Syracuse basketball star Tyus Battle performed.

The early reports suggested that Battle was a ‘disappointment’ and ‘practically invisible’ on day one of the NBA Combine. Hardly the results Battle was hoping for in Chicago.

Well it seems like on day two, things haven’t gotten much better.

Jeremy Woo of Sports Illustrated said that Battle’s ‘stock is falling’ and that NBA teams fear that Battle has already reached his ceiling. Here’s the full quote from his report:
“There was some head-scratching in the bleachers over the decision to place Battle, Allonzo Trier and Jaylen Hands on to one team, grouping three shoot-first guards and making them share one basketball. Unsurprisingly, their team lost one game by 32 points and the other by 27. Battle, in particular, faded into the background this week, struggling to impose his will as a scorer, forcing some shots and displaying very little secondary skill set on offense.

Lyrics not safe for work

Kid was a beast in college and will be a very valuable piece to whoever drafts him.

NCAA Basketball: NCAA Tournament expansion makes little sense (bustingbrackets.com; Walter-Warner)

There is a point in time in which the NCAA Tournament will be too big to handle. That time is drawing ever nearer.
Coaches are meeting this week, breathing in fresh air after dusty smog clogged the sinuses of college basketball this year. Luckily, a spectacular NCAA Tournamentdiverted attention away from a season of scandal.

What if that NCAA Tournament was just a little bit bigger down the road?

That’s one of the pieces of legislation coaches from the ACC requested this week, according to commissioner John Swofford. The proposal would bump the field up four spots, to a total of 72. The new spots would open up the ability for a second “First Four” to be created. (h/t ESPN)

That’s not the only proposal the coaches came up with. They’re also interested in pushing the three-point line back and resetting the shot clock to just 20 seconds after an offensive rebound.

But expanding the NCAA Tournament is the worst idea of the bunch.

What's the hold up on ACC Tournament future sites? :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsports.com; Gravley)

On the final day of the ACC meetings in Florida, Commissioner John Swofford huddled with eight members of the media and after a few overviews, he dove into basketball.

I thought for sure that would be when we would find out future sites for the ACC men's basketball tournament.

Instead, he led off with news of ACC coaches supporting and proposing a four-team expansion of the NCAA Tournament.

Do WHAT? I'm fine with the expansion possibility but don't know if it will happen.

What I wanted to know is where the ACC Tournament will be after Charlotte in 2019 and Greensboro in 2020. That cake of information hasn't cooked long enough and wasn't ready to consume, much to the surprise of Swofford.

"I’d hoped we would be able to come out of here with an announcement but we’re not quite there yet," he said. "Some of it is just the logistics of not only getting a consensus of what’s that right rotation, but it’s also about availability in particular years of venues."

Let me fill in a few blanks on what I have learned since then. Unless things drastically change, don't look for a longterm announcement of future sites.

The ACC Football Championship locked into an agreement with Charlotte until 2030. That ain't happening with hoops. It could be just a two-year plan when the results are announced.

The ACC Tournament is a stone cold lock to go back to Washington, D.C., and they want to go back to New York. Brooklyn is fine but there are enough folks who want to continue to explore playing in Madison Square Garden.

The problem is the longterm agreement that the Big East has through 2026. I doubt the ACC would go the route that the Big Ten did last year where they condensed the regular season schedule and played their tournament a week early at the Garden.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney didn't enjoy it: "Wasn't good. Wasn't healthy. We won't do it again this way."

But the ACC could if there are enough table bangers who insist on playing at the Garden. But I'm sure ESPN would want to keep the North Carolina vs Duke game on the final regular season Saturday, so that's another strike about the ACC playing the tournament a week earlier.

There is very little interest in playing the ACC Tournament any farther south than Charlotte. Atlanta is a logical landing spot but didn't get a lot of support, and many consider that SEC country.

Initially, I wondered if there are enough newcomers to the league, other than Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, that don't see the value or like having the tournament in Greensboro, home of ACC headquarters.

But Greensboro is safe beyond the next announcement of sites, and I would expect Charlotte is as well.

So the big announcement of future sites could be return trips to Washington, D.C. and Brooklyn. We'll just have to sit tight and wait.

Other

852_2018traversstakes.JPG

Saratoga Race Course

Summer bucket list for Upstate NY: 21 unforgettable adventures, vacations and things to do (newyorkupstate.com; D'Imperio)

This summer is the perfect time to start focusing on your bucket list of things to do in Upstate New York. Here is a a whole list of things on my Upstate summer bucket list. How about you? What would you add?

1: Check out a cool, new craft brewery (Plattsburgh)
The Valcour Brewing Company is one of Upstate's newest craft beer venues. Not only do they offer a nice selection of their own signature brews, but they also have a fun menu which includes salads, sandwiches and that North Country favorite, poutine. Plus they are situated in one of Plattsburgh most important historic buildings. The "Old Stone Barracks" are the last existing buildings of an 1838 U.S. Army barracks.

2: Go to an old-fashioned outdoor movie (Unadilla)
At one time, it seemed that every little town and city in Upstate had its very own drive-in movie theater. Sadly, today there is less than a handful still open. For a nostalgic treat, take the young ones for a 1950's outdoor adventure and see a double feature movie at a drive-in! The Unadilla Drive-In (Otsego County) opened on May 29, 1956.

3: Visit an outdoor farmers market (Penn Yan)
The Windmill bills itself as Upstate New York's first (and friendliest) farm and craft market. It first opened over three decades ago. Thousands will attend this summer, scouring over hundreds of vendors booths and tables. Today you will likely have your choice of over 100 different vendors if you go. An average crowd on a good weather summer weekend can top 15,000 people.
ACC should pay a premium now to lock in a 10 year MSG deal after the BE deal expires.