Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
seasons-earth-orbit_large.jpg
Welcome to the Summer Solstice!

While the calendar may say June 1 was the first day of summer, the season actually starts when the summer solstice happens, according to astronomers. That’s because meteorologists divide the year into four seasons based on weather patterns, so the summer solstice always occurs later than the first day of summer on the calendar.

The summer solstice begins when the tilt of Earth’s axis is most inclined towards the sun directly above the Tropic of Cancer. The winter solstice, which falls on Friday, Dec. 21 this year, is the exact opposite — when the earth’s axis tilted furthest away from the sun, marking the start of winter.

SU News

94e_20180306subasket29.jpeg

What to expect from Marek Dolezaj next season (Syracuse basketball player forecasts) (PS; Waters)

Marek Dolezaj, a slender 6-foot-9 forward from Slovakia, had the type of season that's typical for most freshmen. He had his ups and downs. He struggled on offense, especially with his jump shot, but he showed a knack for the game with aggressive rebounding and instinctive passing.
He didn't start for the first 20 games of the season, but he was ready when starting forward Matthew Moyer suffered a severe ankle injury. Dolezaj stepped into the starting lineup and remained there for the last 17 games of the season.
Dolezaj became a vital part of Syracuse's late-season run. He played at least 30 minutes in 17 of SU's last 18 games.

2017-18 statistics
Dolezaj finished the season with averages of 5.8 points and 4.8 rebounds per game.
But those numbers don't accurately portray the multi-faceted freshman's complete game.
He also had 57 assists, which ranked third on the team behind only starting guards Frank Howard and Tyus Battle. And Dolezaj's 28 blocked shots were also third on the team behind starting center Paschal Chukwu and starting forward Oshae Brissett. In fact, Dolezaj had just one fewer blocks than Brissett, who played over 400 minutes more than Dolezaj.
Whether he was scoring, rebounding, blocking a shot or assisting on a play, Dolezaj always seemed to be contributing.

oie_rnKGBepFXRRu.jpg

2018-19 Syracuse basketball resembles great teams of recent past - The Juice Online (the juice; McGlynn)

The NBA Draft is finally upon us. For the first time in seven years, there will not be a Syracuse player who has his name called in the first round of the draft. Tyus Battle ended any possibility of that streak continuing when he announced he would be returning to Central New York for his junior year.

It would be safe to assume a team playing in the ACC that did not have a single player enter the draft struggled during the previous season. In some respects, that notion is accurate. Syracuse barely made the NCAA tournament, posted a losing record in conference play for the first time in program history and produced one of the streakiest offensive teams in the country.

However, the Orange did make the tournament, and it thrived. It showed the potential for the future. It also showed similarities to the past.

2011 was the last time SU did not have a player selected in the first round. The 2010-11 Syracuse team had a better regular season than the one the Orange most recently produced, but it became clear it was a team destined for a bright future.

Twitter Mailbag: Hair, shoes and World Cup to ACC comparisons :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralspotrsfan.com; Brownlow)

With the NBA Draft and the World Cup going on, you all did not disappoint with your questions. So I'll start with the hardest-hitting one of the week...

What ACC Basketball team will have the best hair this coming season?

— Noah Asbill (@NoahAforeffort) June 20, 2018
A lot of great hair lost, so this is a tough one. Lonnie Walker IV from Miami? Bye. Parker Stewart from Pitt? See ya. (And yes, that's one of the first times anyone has said 'tough departure' and 'Pitt' in the same sentence in awhile.) Marvin Bagley III. Joel Berry. Ike Obiagu. Shaun Kirk. The list goes on and on.

But fret not! I'll go team by team and tell you who to keep an eye on (and I'm not really going to do the thing where I look at incoming players, unless I happen to know of one already):

BC: Ky Bowman. Red hair tips. I don't need to say anything else. He has elite hair.

Clemson: I only just stopped actively disliking watching them play basketball, please give me some time before I appreciate their hair

Duke: Alex O'Connell's hair is going to get a lot of attention.

Florida State: Would have a case here for best all-around hair, but Ike Obiagu is transferring. Luckily for you all, I looked that up. Terance Mann's hair is fantastic, though.
Syracuse: Kind of meh, but I do enjoy Marek Dolezaj's vaguely tousled/just woke up look. Does he not care? Is he just aggressively boyish? TBD.

How does AAU basketball work? Inside the City Rocks, Upstate NY's premier team (PS; Ditota)

Years ago, after Kevan Sheppard and his wife Annemarie had taken in Chinonso Obokoh and realized the 6-foot-9 Nigerian teenager could benefit from additional basketball attention, Sheppard sought a summer program that could help Obokoh develop his game.

The array of options seemed endless. The grassroots summer basketball circuits provide ample opportunity for athletic teenagers to compete against similarly-skilled peers. But navigating those programs, Sheppard learned, could be problematic.

"You don't really know much about any of these programs if you don't personally know the coach," Sheppard said. "City Rocks is one of the few programs that come with a history. You can do research on them. You can do research on Jim Hart."

The Albany City Rocks play in Nike's Elite Youth Basketball League, one of three shoe-sponsored summer circuits all hoping to attract the best prep talent in America. The 17U team -- the culmination of each kid's grassroots career -- competes against 39 other programs over four spring/summer weekends for a spot at Peach Jam where a Nike champion is crowned each July.

Other

3fd_cornelluniversity.jpeg

New York's 100 largest companies: 3 businesses headquartered in CNY make 2018 ranking (PS; Axelson)

A new ranking of New York State's largest companies by number of employees includes three huge companies in the Central NY region.

The ranking from NYup.com is based on data from Zippia, which maintains a database of more than 250,000 companies in the United States, including 2,639 that are headquartered in New York. The employee counts represent the entire company, not just those workers in NY.

#82 Cornell University (Ithaca, Tompkins County)
Employees: 15,070
Education Services

#59 Hotel Acquisition Company, LLC (Syracuse, Onondaga County)
Employees: 19,100
Other Real Estate

#52 Carrols Restaurant Group (Syracuse, Onondaga County)
Employees: 21,000
Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure

interesting view of cornell to use a picture that shows the least amount of the campus possible.

interesting view of cornell to use a picture that shows the least amount of the campus possible.
It's likely because that part of Cornell is the land grant university of the State of New York. Cornell is unique in that respect as the rest of the University is endowed.