Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
amazon-primeday-aws-1024x514-1024x514.png

Welcome to Amazon Prime Day!

Amazon Prime Day deals start now. Amazon Echo discounts, Fire TV deals, and many more serious savings have already gone live, though it’s not “officially” Prime Day until later today. The retail giant had announced that this giant day of savings would begin on July 16 at 3 p.m. ET (noon PT) and run through July 17, but you can dive into all of the savings right now if you’re ready.
There’s one important thing to remember: Amazon only offers Prime Day deals to its Amazon Prime members. If you haven’t signed up for a membership before, you can collect a 30-day free trial and be on your way. Otherwise, a Prime Membership will have to be the first Prime Day purchase you make. If you want to participate in all of those Lightning Deals, you have to join the free 2-day shipping club.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Tyus Battle came back for a chance at immortality (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Syracuse basketball standout Tyus Battle came back for one reason and one reason only, college basketball immortality, we explain.

It was news quite frankly we didn’t see coming, but it was a pleasant surprise nonetheless. Tyus Battle decided to return for his junior campaign with the Syracuse basketball squad.

Battle’s decision made it the first time the Orange are returning all five starters since 1999. It just doesn’t happen in college basketball. So let’s not take this opportunity for granted.

Last season, Battle had to be the guy for Syracuse. If he didn’t score at least 20 points, the Orange probably lost. But as Battle has admitted since the season’s conclusion, the 2018-19 Syracuse basketball squad as currently constructed has significant depth.

What that means isn’t less playing time for Battle, but in theory, more efficiency. If he can get those attempts down in situations where he played ‘hero ball’, the field goal percentage will increase. Thus he can make a larger impact on the Orange squad.

Although we know what impact he wants to make and that’s bringing Syracuse a National Championship. That’s something only one player in Orange history has been able to accomplish and that was Carmelo Anthony. Battle didn’t just come back for fun and games, he came back for a chance at college basketball immortality.

“The main reason I came back is because I’m pretty close to my degree and that has always been important to me. Plus we’re going to have a really good team next year. We have the pieces. Everyone stayed. We have a lot of young guys coming back with a year under their belts. I think we’re going to be a really good team.”

USATSI_10932557-1024x822.jpg

NBA Summer League 2018: Malachi Richardson, Chris McCullough bow out (PS; Ditota)

Malachi Richardson and his Toronto Raptors were eliminated Sunday from the NBA Summer League playoffs in Las Vegas.

The Cleveland Cavaliers defeated the Raptors 82-68. Richardson played a team-high 35 minutes and scored 14 points. He was 5-of-15 overall and 3-of-10 from the 3-point line. The Raptors collectively shot 31 percent overall and 20 percent from 3. Richardson had three rebounds, an assist and four turnovers.

James Southerland greets Syracuse fans, hoping to convert them to @BoeheimsArmy fans. He is also cleverly inserting himself into the Syracuse basketball mural at Melo:

Stallions preparing to bring a new brand of basketball to Syracuse (cnycentral.com; Page)

The Syracuse Stallions are the newest team in the American Basketball Association's Northeast Division.

The team held tryouts Sunday evening at the Manlius Pebble Hill School. About two dozen players were invited to try to earn a spot on the roster. Among those players invited was DaJaun Coleman, the former Jamesville-Dewitt and Syracuse University graduate.

The Stallions will be making final cuts in the next few weeks. Their season opener will be at home on October 28th against the Oneonta Octane.

For tickets and more information you can visit the team's website.

-e68f42ff5ed04cce.JPG

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2018...se-vs-north-carolina-1975-ncaa-east-regional/ (allsportsdiscussion.com; Kennysyr63)

I was born and raised in Syracuse, NY by parents who were both born and raised in the South (Alabama and North Carolina respectively). I fell in love with Syracuse Orange basketball, football, and its other sports as a kid in grade school/elementary school in the 1974-75 academic year. This column, which I am calling “My Personal ACC Vault,” will be my take on games the Orange has played against ACC schools both prior to and after joining the ACC. These game recollections aren’t intended to disrespect any players, coaches, mascots, or fan bases. It’s just one fan’s passionate take on games his favorite team played.

I remember my mother and father being concerned with me completing my homework and taking out the trash before this game was to be broadcasted on our Zenith floor model color television.

I was more concerned with how Syracuse was going to stop Phil Ford.

Five days prior, the Syracuse Orangemen (yes, that’s what the team was called then), survived and advanced to the “Sweet 16” of the 1975 NCAA basketball tournament, withstanding 25 points from Joe Bryant (Kobe’s father) to defeat the LaSalle Explorers 87-83 in overtime. This was a 32-team tournament at the time so three victories meant a team was going to the Final Four.

A Look At Virginia’s Recruiting Targets (dukebasketballreport.com; King)

We like to keep up with the rest of the ACC and in some ways the most interesting team to follow is Virginia, because the Cavaliers, under Tony Bennett,well...they do it their way (apologies to Sinatra and both Tony Bennetts).

Now if they could just get out of the first round...

Badabing!

Anyway, here’s an article about recruits Bennett is after. Some of them are, as usual, a bit obscure, but there’s no question that he has a genius for identifying guys who will thrive in his system.

Other

heat-indexjpg-e86f54834a827c1c.jpg

Just how hot, humid will Central New York get Monday? Heat advisory is in effect (PS; O'Toole)

Monday is going to be another hot and humid day in Central New York.

The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory from noon to 8 p.m. Monday for most of the region, including Cayuga, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga and Oswego counties.

Temperatures are expected to reach the low 90s, but it will feel like it's nearly 100 degrees with the heat index.

The weather service is warning Central New Yorkers that "the combination of heat and humidity can cause heat stress during outdoor exertion or extended exposure."

To prevent heat illnesses during the heat advisory, the weather service suggests people drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of the sun, and check on relatives and neighbors.

"Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside," meteorologists said in the heat advisory alert. "When possible, reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening..."

Last edited:
I can still see Joe Bryant hitting the back iron on his 8' shot from the side. I can't remember if it was to tie or win in regulation or in overtime.

Just wondering why Syracuse is not in the running for hosting a final four? Here are a few things that come to mind, but I am sure there are others.

- Venue is actually on a college campus.
- Not enough overall seating even if you use the full stadium.
- City itself is not large enough.

What do y'all think?

Just wondering why Syracuse is not in the running for hosting a final four? Here are a few things that come to mind, but I am sure there are others.

- Venue is actually on a college campus.
- Not enough overall seating even if you use the full stadium.
- City itself is not large enough.

What do y'all think?
not enough hotel rooms