Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
international-coffee-day-logo-horizontal.png

Welcome to International Coffee Day!

There are different legends as to how and when the drink was first brewed. One story claims that a 6th century goatherd from Kaffa named Kaldi saw that his goats were more lively after eating coffee beans. A monk named Mullah apparently noticed this and brewed the beverage and spread word of it around the region. Another story from the 15th century claims that a 9th century mufti—a Muslim legal expert—of Aden was the first to make the drink, and it became popular in Middle Eastern courts afterwards.

Coffee was brought to Italy by 1615, and to France by 1644. It became a popular drink in the court of Louis XIV in 1669, after the Turkish ambassador introduced it to him. France later introduced a coffee seedling to the Caribbean island of Martinique, and the plant eventually spread throughout Central and South America. The Dutch introduced the coffee plant to Indonesia and Java.

SU News

Trial on payoff to Louisville recruit's father set to begin (PS; AP)

When Brian Bowen Jr., one of America's brightest high school basketball stars, announced in June 2017 that he would attend the University of Louisville, a school that had not been on anyone's radar as his possible destination, sportswriters called it a coup that "came out of nowhere." Louisville coach Rick Pitino agreed.

"In my 40 years of coaching," he said, "this is the luckiest I've been."

In a trial that begins Monday, federal prosecutors will argue that the signing wasn't luck at all but the result of a payoff to Bowen's father.

Former sports agent Christian Dawkins, former Amateur Athletic Union coach Merl Code and former Adidas executive James Gatto have all pleaded not guilty to charges they plotted to pay Bowen's father $100,000 in exchange for his son's promise to commit to Louisville.

It is the first trial related to an FBI investigation that exposed the sleazy side of big money in college basketball and led to charges against multiple people involved in making payments to student athletes. Other defendants, including former assistant coaches from Arizona, Auburn, the University of Southern California and Oklahoma State, face separate trials.

Neither Bowen, now 19, nor his father, Brian Bowen Sr., have been charged. Nor has Pitino, who was fired by Louisville along with athletic director Tom Jurich after the investigation became public.

ACC BASKETBALL REPORT (accbasketballreport.com; podcast; Peacone)

ACCBR #34: Maye Day

Good show today. I give the usual recruiting rundown. I also reveal my top five returning players in the ACC for the 2018-19 season. I also talk about my number 11 team in the ACCBR Projected 18-19 standings. Check out the website for the rest of the returning players list, recruiting news and any other random thoughts. Support the show through crowdfund on the podbean page.

Don’t forget to like, rate, review, share and retweet the podcast! 5 stars people, cmon.
twitter: Peacone36

email: accbasketballreport@gmail.com

ACC’s Top Returning Players: #6 Tyus Battle (accbasketballreport.com; Hunter)

Number six on the list is a guy that I was really high on coming into the season last year and while he put up some impressive numbers, his player efficiency rating was 43rd in the league. I am not deterred. He is awesome.

At number six on the ACCBR top returning players countdown, Syracuse shooting guard Tyus Battle.

What a player. I would not say that Battle is a great shooter, but he is a great college scorer. The best in the ACC this year. A true three level guy, he scored 25 or more in 8 games last season. In his first season as the number one (and number two) option, he averaged 19.2 points per game. He is the highest scoring returning player in the ACC at 712 points last season. He is also a god damn iron man, playing 96.2% of possible minutes in Syracuse games last season.

Big East Basketball: 2019 recruiting needs for each program (bustingbrackets.com; Harkins)

Recruiting is a vital aspect of building a strong college basketball program. Here are some of the top recruiting needs for Big East basketball schools.

It is impossible to build a strong college basketball program without high-level recruiting year after year. However, recruiting is not just about landing the top high school players in the country. In fact, many programs around the nation have succeeded thanks to signing players that match the program’s identity as well as fit needs. In regards to Big East basketball, these same principles apply. The future of the conference depends on quality recruiting and this means that each program lands players that fit their goals for the future.

Big East basketball has been home to some of the best players in the sport over the last several years, including the National Player of the Year winner in Jalen Brunsonthis past season. And now that a new season is approaching, the next crop of stars look poised to take center stage. Most specifically, an elite group of junior guards including Shamorie Ponds (SJU), Kamar Baldwin (Butler), and Markus Howard(Marquette) seems ready to take the torch.
However, these stars will not be around forever and that is why recruiting is so important for the longevity of every program. And remember, quality recruiting is about much more than just star rankings. With this being said, let’s take a look at the most important 2019 recruiting needs for each program in the conference (alphabetical order).

Other

77f_stradasteak.jpeg

20-ounce Porterhouse Steak at Strada Mia, 313 N. Geddes St. in Syracuse.

Best of CNY: Help us find the best steak in Central New York (PS; Pucci)

We're on the hunt for a steak in Central New York that's a cut above the rest.
It can come from an old school clubby steakhouse, the kind of place typically saved for special occasions where flat slabs of grilled beef are served alongside giant baked potatoes and inky, cellared reds.

Or it can come from a hole-in-a-wall, where names and memories are etched into the walls.

We don't care, as long as the steak is great.

Nominate your favorite steak in the comment section or on our Facebook page. You can also tweet us @syracusedotcom, using the #BestOfCNY hashtag. We are not accepting nominations by email, phone, letter or Facebook message.

Please be sure to include the name and location of your favorite place for steak. National chains are not eligible, but local chains are acceptable.

Important notes: The restaurant doesn't need to be your classic steakhouse, but the dish needs to be a standalone steak, ordered by cut and doneness, rather than a dish that incorporates steak, so no cheesesteak sandwiches, steak tacos, steak salads or anything of the sort.

Only restaurants in Onondaga, Oneida, Oswego, Cayuga, Seneca, Cortland, Tompkins and Madison counties are eligible to be nominated.

You have until Tuesday, Oct. 9 at 11:59 p.m. to nominate your favorite. The six places with the most nominations will advance to the finals. The winners -- judges' favorite and readers' choice -- will be crowned later this month.

Add your nominations in the comments!