Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
happy_hour.jpg

Welcome to Happy Hour Day!

Happy Hour Day celebrates the time at bars and restaurants when alcoholic drinks are served at discounted prices. Happy hours usually take place for a period of time in the late afternoon—usually for more than an hour, and often between the hours of 4PM and 7PM. Happy hours typically occur on Monday through Thursday, and sometimes on Friday. Besides drink specials, many times free snacks or other discounted menu items are available. In 1913 the crew of the USS Arkansas began using the term "happy hour" to refer to scheduled entertainment on their ship, and by the end of World War I, "happy hours" were taking place throughout the Navy. During prohibition, drinking became popular before dinner, as diners imbibed at speakeasies before going to restaurants for their meal, where alcohol could not be served. Terms like "cocktail hours" and "happy hours" were given to these pre-dinner drinking events.

SU News

ACC Roundup - Virginia, FSU Roll, But BC Struggles (dukebasketballreport.com; King)

The ACC is still undefeated: on Saturday, Duke, Virginia, Florida State and Boston College all won.

Virginia won 76-57, but Tony Bennett wasn’t very happy with a cavalier (pardon us for that) second half where UVA was outscored 40-34 and the Colonials hit over 50% of their shots.

Since GW hit only six three pointers, that means they got inside the packline with some success.

Kyle Guy and Travis Jerome scored 40 of Virginia’s 76 points.

Florida State forced 18 turnovers out of Mike Dunleavy Sr.’s Green Wave and took 24 rebounds away on Tulane’s end of the court.

That’s 42 empty possessions and that’s hard to overcome.

Terrance Mann led the way with 21 points and 10 rebounds.

PJ Savoy added 14 while Trent Forrest had 13 and Mfiondu Kabengele had 12 off the bench.

College basketball: 5 players you want with the ball in their hands when you must have a basket | NCAA.com (ncaa.com; Boozell)

Tyus Battle, Syracuse

Battle has a knack for coming through in close games:

Battle isn't the most efficient scorer. He shot a hair less than 40 percent from the floor last season and shot 32.2 percent from 3.

But he had to do just about everything for the Syracuse offense last year, and the Orange made the Sweet 16. Battle was mostly creating his own offense, and he averaged 19.2 points per game on a team that played slow. Like Ponds, he has the ball on a string. Battle can shake and bake with the best of them; he can stop on a dime and rise for a jump shot with ease.

Another reason to like Battle at the end of games is his free-throw rate. He got to the line 5.4 times per game last season and made them at an 84 percent clip. That'll work. Look for more heroics out of Battle in 2018-19.

Qudus.jpeg

Qudus Wahab wraps up official visits at Syracuse, no timetable on decision | Zagsblog (zagsblog.com; Zagoria)

Qudus Wahab, the 6-foot-10 center from Flint Hill (VA) School, took his final official visit to Syracuse this weekend and has no timetable on a decision.

Wahab has now visited UConn, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Georgetown and Syracuse.

“The game was good,” he said of Syracuse’s 84-70 win over Morehead State on Satureday. “It was a nice atmosphere. Coach [Jim] Boeheim thinks it’s going to be a great fit for me.”

As for his future plans, he said, “I don’t have a commitment date yet. This year for sure.”

He Previously broke down each school on his list:

UConn: “Great school with great basketball history. I believe it can be a nice fit for me.”

Pittsburgh: “This is a great school too. I had the opportunity to meet the new coaches during my unofficial visit.”

Georgetown: “Great academic school. They are a school with a good history of power forwards/centers.”

Virginia Tech: “They have been recruiting me the longest and I believe in their systems too.”

Syracuse: “A basketball school with a great reputation. The academic program is nice too.”

Syracuse 84, Morehead State 70 — What We Learned - The Juice Online (the juice; Biehar)

Syracuse fought off pesky Morehead State on Saturday night at the Carrier Dome, 84-70. Here are three things we learned from the game:

1. Syracuse recovers after a sloppy start

The biggest story of the first half was that Syracuse turned the ball over 11 times leading to 13 points off turnovers for Morehead State.

Without starting point guard Frank Howard, still out with an injury, the SU offense has had a difficult time getting into its offensive sets. Tyus Battle has started two exhibition and regular season games as the team’s point guard, and hasn’t looked comfortable in the role.

Freshman Jalen Carey provided 15 backup point guard minutes off the bench, but struggled, turning the ball over four times.

With five minutes left in the first half, Syracuse was only up by five. With all of their offensive struggles, what was once a 20-7 game, in favor of SU became a one point game after Morehead State went on a 20 to 8 point run.

“I think that we got off to a good start,” Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said. “We made some really bad turnovers, they go after the ball, really aggressive team and I thought they did a great job getting loose balls and jumping back into the game.”

Syracuse took better care of the ball in the second half, with just three turnovers leading to only three points off turnovers.

Episode 95- Syracuse Football, L'Ville Postgame, Syracuse Basketball, Morehead State Postgame! 'Cuse Militia podcast (player/fm; podcast; CuseMilitia)

Episode 95- Syracuse Football, L'Ville Postgame, Syracuse Basketball, Morehead State Postgame!

Short Stack: Food for thought, quick and over easy (greensboro.com)

Boeheim mends a fence

Jim Boeheim is making nice with Greensboro.

No, really. The head basketball coach at Syracuse, who disparaged the city as a host of the ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament, will speak at a local charity event.

Boeheim will provide the keynote address for the 2019 Fred Barakat Sports Dinner, which benefits the Matt Brown Learn-to-Swim Endowment. The May 16 dinner, an annual affair, is named for the late Fred Barakat, an associate commissioner of the Atlantic Coast Conference. Barakat also was the father of Greensboro’s current mayor, Nancy Vaughan.

Boeheim, a member of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, has said more than once that he preferred big-city venues for the conference’s men’s tournament over a place like, ugh, Greensboro.

“I’m sure there’s a couple Denny’s down there,” he said in March 2014.

In 2017, he added: “There’s no value to playing in Greensboro. None.”

Understandably, those remarks did not go over well in the Gate City, which will be the site of the 2020 ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament.

Now, Boeheim is OK with Greensboro. Kinda sorta.

“I know Greensboro’s mad at me, and I’m trying to rectify that,” he told sports-talk radio host David Glenn. “I like Greensboro. I just think the tournament should be in a big city, but that’s just me. I could be wrong. Actually, I’d rather go to Greensboro because it’s easier to get to the game and back than in all the other bigger cities because you have to fight all the traffic. The game is the game; you play on the court, and that doesn’t change.”

ACCBR #41: Pitt Actually Looks Pretty Good! ACC Basketball Report podcast (player.fm; podcast; ABR)

Today I talk about a players return, a player that is missing and a player whose return is needed. I do the week in review and I let you guys know who has impressed me thus far. The ACC is 21-0!

NCAA Basketball: 8 takeaways from the first week of the 2018-19 season (bustingbrackets.com; Rauf)

7) I love what UNC is doing

If you’ve followed my writing this offseason, you know that I think North Carolina is the best team in the country and will win the national championship. However, this has nothing to do with how the Tar Heels are playing.

Instead, this is about scheduling. While most blueblood programs will avoid true road games like the plague in their non-conference schedules (cough Duke cough cough), UNC has gone the opposite way with three legitimate road games before they get into ACC play. They also opened the season with two of them – against mid-majors, no less – at Wofford and at Elon.

This is fantastic for a number of reasons. First off, this allows head coach Roy Williams to test his team early in tough atmospheres against teams they should be able to beat.

Secondly, it helps boost the programs they’re visiting. As the flagship program in the Carolinas, the Heels are essentially serving as a gracious “big brother” and throwing a bone to the smaller schools in the region. This allows fans the opportunity to see them when they may otherwise not be able to and raises the profile of both Wofford and Elon.

Finally, it’s getting the Heels ready for conference play. They won’t be shocked or rattled when they walk into a raucous atmosphere as they’ve already done it several times.

I think more teams should do this…unless you’re Indiana and you lose at Fort Wayne. That loss essentially paved the way for Tom Crean’s firing – but I think it’s safe to say that Ol’ Roy has a bit more job security than that.

Carmelo Anthony done with Houston Rockets? See reactions (PS; Herbert)

Carmelo Anthony done with Houston Rockets? See reactions

Former Syracuse basketball Carmelo Anthony may be done with the Houston Rockets after just 10 games in uniform, according to multiple reports.

'Melo has missed the NBA team's last two games with an illness after shooting 1-for-11 in a loss Thursday to his former team, the Oklahoma City Thunder. Concerns were raised about his fit alongside Rockets stars Chris Paul and James Harden after signing a one-year, $2.4 million deal this summer.

Two sources close to the situation told The New York Times' Marc Stein that Anthony was informed Sunday that "his brief time with the team will soon be ending."

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski said the Rockets were discussing Anthony's role "and how they might still be able to proceed together for the rest of the season... talks are fluid." Another ESPN reporter, however, said "Rockets players and coaches believe that Carmelo Anthony has played his final game for the franchise."

According to Deadspin, the rumors suggest another buyout could be on the way for the 10-time NBA All-Star. Anthony signed as a free agent with Houston for the veteran's minimum salary in August after he received a $27.9 million buyout from the Atlanta Hawks when OKC traded him to Atlanta.

Other

borios-restaurant-2jpg-e7923ae91d46d539.jpg

Borio's Restaurant on Oneida Lake remains open as it looks for buyer, family says (PS; Weaver)

Borio's Restaurant, an Oneida Lake dining tradition for nearly six decades in Central New York, is for sale.

But the restaurant and banquet center -- known for its seafood and Italian classics -- is not closing, two of the three Borio family partners said Friday.

"We are not stepping back one bit," said Marty Borio, one of three third generation members of the family who now own the place. "We're continuing to run the business as is. We're here."

The decision to sell comes as the three current partners, brothers Marty and Chuck Borio and their cousin, Tony Borio, are in their late 50s and early 60s. "Our children have grown up in and around the restaurant and now, as adults, have
moved on forging their own paths," the family wrote in a letter, explaining the decision.

They hope to find a buyer who will continue to run a restaurant and banquet facility - perhaps even under the Borio's name, with its recipes and favorite menu items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom