Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
image_provided_by_city_of_round_rock_photo_via_new_york_public_library_digital_collections-1547563104-4776-1547590675-187.jpg

Welcome to Martin Luther King Jr Day!

Martin Luther Luther King, Jr. Day honors the legacy and celebrates the birthday of the iconic civil rights leader, Martin Luther King, Jr. A campaign to create the day started shortly after King's death in 1968. Representative John Conyers (D-MI) and Senator Edward Brooke (R-MA) introduced a bill to make King's birthday a national holiday, and it first came up for a vote in 1979 but fell short. The two main arguments against its creation were that having another paid federal holiday would be too expensive and that honoring a private citizen would go against tradition. Up until that time the only two other figures were honored with a national holiday, George Washington and Christopher Columbus.

The King Center turned to support from the public and corporate community to continue pushing for the day. Stevie Wonder released "Happy Birthday" in 1980 and hosted the Rally For Peace Press Conference in 1981 to encourage the creation of the day. Six million signatures were part of a petition to Congress urging for the day. Ronald Reagan originally opposed the day because of cost concerns, but signed the bill on Nov 2, 1983; it was first observed three years later, on January 20, 1986.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: It shouldn’t be Buddy Boeheim vs Jalen Carey (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

The Syracuse basketball team has it all wrong. It shouldn’t be Buddy Boeheim vs Jalen Carey, it should be Buddy AND Jalen in the rotation.

It just doesn’t make sense. Why the hell is there a battle for minutes on this Syracuse basketball roster?

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the logistics. Last season Syracuse had a limited amount of guys, so the minute spread was obvious.

This season the Orange have a first world problem to deal with. Nine players are currently averaging at least 10 minutes per contest through 18 games on the season.

Former McQuaid star Isaiah Stewart commits to Washington over Syracuse, Duke (D&C; Johnson)

Isaiah Stewart is headed to the Pacific Northwest.

The former McQuaid big man and the No. 6 prospect in the country in 247Sports' composite rankings committed to the Washington Huskies on Sunday on ESPN during halftime of the network's broadcast of IMG Academy vs. Oak Hill Academy.

The 6-foot-9 center spurned Syracuse, Duke, Michigan State and Kentucky for the Huskies who are coached by former Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins.

The Blue Devils and Spartans were long thought of as the favorites for Stewart, but instead it was connection with Hopkins that won out in the end.

"Me and Coach Hopkins go way back since I was a freshman. I'm a big relationship guy and relationships played a major role in my recruitment," Isaiah Stewart told ESPN's Paul Biancardi.

"He's a coach I trust to push me harder and to help me accomplish my goals. My relationship changed a lot when he went to Washington, a lot of people said he was going to get that head coaching job at Syracuse."

He joins a class that features four star signee shooting guard RaeQuan Battle (Marysville, Washington) and three star signee point guard Marcus Tsohonis (Portland, Oregon).

5-star Isaiah Stewart picks Washington over Duke and Syracuse - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger)

A day after picking up big conference victories, Duke and Syracuse got some suboptimal news. Isaiah Stewart, a 5-star center and top-10 player in the 2019 class, has committed to Washington — over Duke and Syracuse.

Jeremy Woo✔

@JeremyWoo

Five-star big Isaiah Stewart just committed to Washington here at HoopHall. Some quick thoughts: Washington lands Isaiah Stewart, continues rise under Hopkins

Washington lands Isaiah Stewart, continues rise under Hopkins

Isaiah Stewart committed to Washington on Sunday at the HoopHall Classic, becoming the highest-profile recruit in Mike Hopkins’ two years at the helm.

Washington is coached, of course, by Mike Hopkins, a former Syracuse point guard and assistant coach, who lands Stewart over his former mentor, Jim Boeheim.

1082835176.jpg.0.jpg

ACC Roundup - Florida State Falls (Again) (DBR; King)

This will may be null and void if you don’t read this until Monday afternoon, but how often has a team been #11 nationally and also 1-4 and tied for last place in its conference?

That’s the remarkable position Florida State is in after losing to Boston College 87-82.

Ky Bowman had a sensational game, scoring 37 points on 13-18 including 6-8 from three point range. He also had nine rebounds and three assists. Jordan Chatman had 17 and Winston Tabbs added 12.

Leonard Hamilton said this about Bowman afterwards: “I’ve never seen a guy play 40 minutes five games in a row and in the fifth game get 37. We worked our butts off trying to keep him from getting the ball. We overplayed him, denied him, everything we could. He’s that type of talent. He kind of drives the engine.”

That is pretty incredible and so is this: Florida State has one of the deepest, most athletic benches in the country and Boston College goes eight deep on a good day and one of those eight, Chris Herren Jr., came as a walk-on.

BC is just 10-7 and tied with FSU, Wake Forest, Miami and Notre Dame for last place.

Even so, it’s a fun team and Jim Christian is doing a lot with not very much. It’s a shame his team doesn’t draw more fans, particularly since Bowman is so gifted.

ACC Roundup - The Usual Suspects Win (DBR; King)

Last weekend’s string of upsets did not reoccur as all the favored teams won, unless you count Virginia as favored over Duke and most people saw that as 50-50, which, as it turns out, was right on the money.

Otherwise the top dogs won and only NC State over Notre Dame was close and Markell Johnson sat out again so there’s that to consider.

As we’ve said, Notre Dame is improving; it’s just the the ACC is so unforgiving of weakness.

Even so, John Mooney is emerging for Notre Dame and is a legitimate All-ACC candidate. Terrence Gibbs is solid and DJ Harvey’s good too. The Irish just need some young players to mature and that’s not something you can control.

State is still going with five guards and Wyatt Walker, but DJ Funderburk is starting to push him.

Notre Dame is limited but give State credit: that team makes no excuses. It just plays hard.

We didn’t think Wake Forest had a chance at Virginia Tech and as it turned out, that was a good call: the Deacs fell 87-71 and also fell under .500, the only ACC team to be currently under water.

Wake ran its matchup zone and the Hokies carved it up with ease.

usa_today_12026020.0.jpg

ACC basketball: A look around a busy week in the ACC (gobblercountry.com; Manning)

This past week was a big one in the ACC. A couple of matchups featuring top-10 teams highlighted a schedule that’s just starting to heat up. Last Tuesday, No. 4 Virginia hosted No. 9 Virginia Tech and the Cavaliers came away with an impressive 81-59 victory. The loss was the first for the Hokies in conference play.

On Saturday, arguably the top two teams in the nation met when UVa traveled to Durham to face No. 1 Duke. The game, specifically freshmen RJ Barrett and Zion Williamson, lived up to expectations with the Blue Devils coming away with a 72-70 win. It was Virginia’s first loss on the season. The two teams meet again in a few short weeks in Charlottesville.

ESPN✔

@espn

UNDEFEATED NO MORE!

No. 1 Duke hands No. 4 Virginia their first loss of the season at Cameron Indoor!

Episode 118- Syracuse Basketball: Pitt Postgame, Miami Preveiw! 'Cuse Militia podcast (player.fm; podcast; CuseMilitia)

Episode 118- Syracuse Basketball: Pitt Postgame, Miami Preveiw!

Other

NUE7ZRNAIRENVP42MZ6W65RQIA.jpg

How much snow fell in Upstate NY? New totals for 359 spots (chart) (PS; Coin)

The season’s biggest winter storm so far dropped more than 20 inches of snow in Upstate New York.

The latest totals reported by the National Weather Services show much of Upstate received at least a foot of snow.

The top spot was the Essex County town of Elizabethtown, with 20.8 inches. Major Upstate cities got more than a foot, too:

Albany: 13.9 inches
Binghamton: 11.6
Buffalo: 12
Rochester: 13.4
Syracuse: 13.6

Here are the latest storm totals as reported by the four weather service offices that cover Upstate New York.

27. Syracuse (NR): The Orange knocked off Duke on the road and then Pitt at home. That’s good enough for me to put them back in the poll.