Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-mutt-day.jpg
Welcome to National Mutt Day!

National Mutt Day celebrates mixed breed dogs, and was created by Colleen Paige, a pet and family lifestyle expert and animal advocate, who also created days such as National Dog Day, National Puppy Day, and National Cat Day. The goal of the day is to embrace, save, and celebrate mixed breed dogs by creating awareness about the great numbers of them in animal shelters that are in need of a home. Mixed breed dogs make up the largest percentage of dogs that are abandoned and euthanized, and make up about 80% of dogs in shelters. In an effort to further raise awareness, National Mutt Day takes place on two days during the year. The hoped for result of the day is that people visit animal shelters and adopt a mixed breed dog, or possibly donate their time and money to shelters.

SU News

W66NYR6DTZHE3P6IWQSZ5DYHIE.jpeg

Tyler Lydon talks new beginnings, what he learned in the NBA and returning ‘home’ to Syracuse (PS; Ditota)

Tyler Lydon is in Syracuse this week, mingling with kids at his basketball camp at Bishop Ludden and for the first time since he left the Orange, returning to his college roots.
Lydon visited the Melo Center last week, where he saw former coaches and staff and scrimmaged a bit with Boeheim’s Army and the current crop of Orange basketball players.
He took some time Monday morning to discuss his two seasons in the NBA, what he learned during that span and where he is in his basketball career. The Sacramento Kings signed him to a free agent deal earlier this month and Lydon and his girlfriend will soon make a trip to California to find a place to live. He expects to move there by mid-August.

Our Monday conversation:

Before you signed with the Kings, how stressful were those couple months between the season ending and that deal?
I think I went through my phases. There were a few times throughout the week where it just kind of hit me. I’d be, like, freaking out. What team am I going to go to, am I going to go to a team? All that stuff. But I talked to my agent a lot through the process and he did a good job reassuring me. Honestly, the biggest thing for me was being able to come home (to Pine Plains). If I would have stayed in Denver or was trying to work out someplace else, it would have been on my mind all the time. But being at home, I was able to do stuff with friends, family, have some fun and kind of relieve stress while still staying in the gym, working out, all that stuff.
What kind of stuff did you do?
After the season, I took a couple weeks. I would still run, but in terms of picking up a basketball, I just needed to step away for a little bit. They tell us to do that. I drove back a week after the season. I did a lot of fishing, some hunting. I took some down time. I hadn’t really seen anybody in a couple years, so I did a bunch of different things.

Syracuse Basketball: Carmelo Anthony is ineligible for proper farewell tour (itlh; Weisleder)

A lack of NBA Titles and unparalleled legacy in one city bids Syracuse Basketball alum Carmelo Anthony ineligible for a proper farewell tour.

Since joining the NBA at 19 years old in 2003, Carmelo Anthony’s 15-year pursuit of an NBA championship, split primarily between Denver and New York has dwindled to the point where his talents are no longer sought after by front offices around the association.
Anthony’s winning pedigree at the collegiate level with the Syracuse basketball squad (2003 NCAA Champion and Tournament’s Most Outstanding Player), and as a member of Team USA Basketball (All-time scoring leader, a gold medal winner in 2008, 2012, and 2016) speaks for itself.

What doesn’t, is his lack of consistent success across 11 trips and 72 career NBA playoff games. Aside from the 2009 Conference Finalist Denver Nuggets, an Anthony-led team playoff team played more than 10 games just once.
With more than 25,000 career points to his name on 45% shooting, the 2003-04 All-Rookie Team Member, 10x All-Star, 2012-13 Scoring Champ, six-time All-NBAer, and eventual Hall of Famer has done enough individually to be memorialized as one of the league’s best scorers ever.

However, what earns players farewell tours is a sustained success in April, May, and June over the course of their career, and for a select few, unparalleled longevity with one or many franchises, fulfilments Anthony remains without.

Only a handful of players each quarter-century are eligible for a proper farewell tour. We saw NBA champions Dwyane Wade and Dirk Nowitzki earn and say their goodbye’s to the NBA this past season with tours that enlivened otherwise mediocre, playoff-less campaigns for Miami and Dallas.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article233175691.html (newsobserv er.com; Wiseman)

With an up-and-down junior season behind him, Jack White went far, far away from Duke to recover.

A few weeks at home in Australia boosted the 6-7 forward’s spirits. A bothersome hamstring injury healed, he played with his native country’s entry in the World University Games in Naples, Italy.

By early July, White was back in the Triangle for offseason workouts with his Duke teammates.

Last season, he missed 28 consecutive 3-pointers and suffered a hamstring injury that limited him to just six minutes in Duke’s four NCAA tournament games. Now, however, White’s mind and body have recovered enough for him to expect better things in his senior season.

“I definitely just feel refreshed coming back,” White said. “Being with family and friends back home was a great few weeks. I felt really good about representing my country for those two weeks.

“I’m having a lot of fun playing. My body feels good. Been feeling good and healthy and in a good place mentally with everything. I’m looking forward to getting to work with this group.”

White, who was a captain last season, started his junior year well, but his production fell as his 3-point shot failed him and his injury slowed him.

How Much Is Your School Spending on College Basketball Recruiting? - Stadium (watchstadium.com; Wittry)

College basketball recruiting can be a fickle beast — at least in regards to how much schools spend on the recruiting trail, the high school recruits that spending attracts and the number of wins that talent leads to.

While we found that there’s a fairly strong correlation between recruiting spending and recruiting class rankings in college football, there’s not an apparent sport-wide correlation in college basketball.

Stadium obtained the NCAA Financial Reports from the 2018 fiscal year for 53 Division I schools — almost all of which play in the AAC, ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 or SEC — and these reports, which are submitted to the NCAA annually, outline detailed financial data regarding the operating revenue and expenses for each school’s athletic department.

We found that while a serious financial commitment to recruiting in college basketball can lead to highly ranked recruiting classes and NCAA Tournament success, it’s certainly not a prerequisite.

Of course, recruiting is based on relationships, and while there’s no stat or metric to quantify which coaches are the best at developing a strong relationship with a prospect, his parents and/or his high school coach, we can attempt to quantify the role that other factors like spending and winning play in recruiting.

Pittsburgh Basketball: Jeff Capel’s expectations in second season with Panthers (bustingbrackets.com; Dalzell)

Jeff Capel took over Pittsburgh Basketball rebuild last season after a successful tenure at Duke. The Panthers remained last in the ACC but has the Panthers trending in the right direction. Better days and bigger expectations are ahead for Capel and the program.

Jeff Capel and Pittsburgh Basketball continue the rebuild of a program and after year one and his first recruiting class, it’s safe to say the Panthers are headed in the right direction. Pitt’s 14-19 (3-15) record last season may have seemed underwhelming especially surrounding the hype of Capel and success he’s had with Duke, but after what the program’s been through with Kevin Stallings anything would be considered an improvement.

Capel’s Panthers competed and didn’t quit, unlike Stallings team. At the Zoo, Pitt was at its best. The Panthers won 11 games and lost seven while going winless on the road in 11 attempts. There is no excuse for not winning even one road game but they were impressive in neutral court games.
Pitt won three consecutive neutral floor games with victories over Saint Louis, Duquesne, and Boston College in the first round of the ACC Tournament. The only loss came to Syracuse in the ACC Tournament the following round.

The rebuild began in 2016 with the failed experiment of Stallings replacing Jamie Dixon. The entire hire was a mess from the beginning and put into question-based off Sheldon Jeter’s transfer and the fact Stallings was on the verge of being fired from Vanderbilt. Jeter left Vanderbilt to escape Stallings and Pitt hired him shortly after causing instant negative team chemistry in the locker room.

At first glance, the Panthers 12-2 start with Stallings before conference play seemed like an almost transition-less process post-Dixon but then the collapse began. They won one game out of the next 10 and finished the season 16-17 losing to Virginia in the ACC Quarterfinals.

If that wasn’t enough of a sign, the 8-24 record and an 0-18 conference record the following season really ended attendance in the Oakland Zoo before Capel brought it back to life. Capel’s team scored more points (69.9), allowed less (68.7), and improved in about every single stat category you could think of.

2019 Recruiting Team Rankings - Duke Report (DBR; King)

2020 Basketball Team Rankings