Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Pumpkin_Cheesecake_Feature-1024x554.jpg

Welcome to National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day!

Each year on October 21st, National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day ushers in the flavors of fall. Cheesecake is one of America’s favorite desserts and by adding pumpkin, we celebrate the essential flavoring of the season.

This sweet dessert mixes fresh soft cheese, cream cheese or cottage cheese, eggs, and sugar to create a base. The crust is made from crushed graham crackers, crushed cookies, pastry or sponge cake. Pumpkin may be added to cheesecake recipes in various ways. For example, it may be swirled throughout, mixed thoroughly with all ingredients or layered. Bakers prepare cheesecakes both baked or unbaked. Some bakers flavor cheesecakes and top them with fruit, fruit sauce, chocolate or whipped cream.
An ancient form of cheesecake may have been a popular dish in ancient Greece. The earliest attested mention of cheesecake is by the Greek physician, Aegimus. He wrote a book on the art of making cheesecakes.

James Kraft developed a form of pasteurized cream cheese in 1912. In 1928, Kraft acquired the Philadelphia trademark and marketed pasteurized Philadelphia Cream Cheese. In fact, bakers us Philadelphia cream cheese more than any other to make cheesecake than any other.

SU News

E4KQLAXDWZGUBI4LEOMTTA7FAE.jpg

Syracuse’s Elijah Hughes says he’s ready for starring role (PS; Waters)

Elijah Hughes enters his junior year at Syracuse in the glare of a spotlight reserved for star players.
Tyus Battle, Syracuse’s leading scorer for the past two years, is gone, off to the Minnesota Timberwolves’ training camp. That leaves Hughes as Syracuse’s leading returning scorer and the presumed go-to guy on a young and inexperienced team.

To prepare for his new role, Hughes spent the summer watching videos of Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan and LeBron James.

He wasn’t watching game film, though. Hughes studied how Kobe, MJ and LeBron handled themselves in post-game interviews. How they talked. How they approached practice. How they prepared for games.
“I learned that those are the guys that wanted to come in there and be the best every day,’’ Hughes said.
“They’re the best players in the world because they prepare and practice to be the best. That’s what I learned.’’

Hughes said he also observed Battle’s method of intense preparation over the past two years. Battle poured over film of himself and opponents. He adhered to a strict diet. He adopted methods of meditation to improve his focus.

“I know that I’ve got to do the right things off the court, too,’’ Hughes said. “I take a lot of that from Tyus. He was really good off the court.’’

Syracuse will need Hughes to be good off the court and, especially, on it this season.

How does Syracuse basketball spread playing minutes for all its talented forwards? (PS; Ditota)

For a team loaded with youthful possibilities, Syracuse’s forward position seems ancient by comparison.
The Orange returns its best, most experienced player -- Elijah Hughes -- at small forward. It brings back Marek Dolezaj, perhaps its most interesting player. And it returns Robert Braswell, whose potential seems attached to his 3-point shooting stroke.

SU also adds freshman Quincy Guerrier, who might have been the Orange men’s most impressive player in Italy.

All of that talent means Syracuse is loaded at the forward positions. With Hughes expected to play close to 38 minutes per game (so said Jim Boeheim at media day), the competition for the rest of those minutes has been intense.

“It’s been great,” Dolezaj said. “Always at practice we’re going 100 percent. Quincy is a great young guy. Robert, he didn’t play a lot but he’s part of the team and he’s a great guy, a good shooter. It’s been great. And Elijah plays the forward spot. I think we’ll be good.”

“In practice, it’s really competitive,” Guerrier said. “We’re just really competing. Elijah is going to play the three. That leaves me and Marek and Rob. So Coach Red (Autry) was talking to me about just working hard and doing what I have to do.”

In Italy last summer, Jim Boeheim said Dolezaj would play little to no center this season, but the SU coach has reconsidered. Dolezaj moving to the middle would give the Orange another potential scorer, passer and perimeter threat and would allow a lineup that includes both Hughes and Guerrier.

MS-SYRACUSE-3.jpg

Syracuse Men’s Basketball, Make-A-Wish celebrates 28th Ms. Orange Fan Luncheon (localsyr.com)

The Oncenter turned orange on Sunday! The Syracuse University’s men’s basketball team, coaching staff, and some of their biggest fans joined the Make-A-Wish Foundation for the 28th Annual Ms. Orange Luncheon.
The charity event has raised more than $1.6 million for the foundation over the years. The proceeds help kids living with life-threatening medical conditions.

Jim and Juli Boeheim were on hand at the luncheon, thanking the community for putting this together.
“To be able to help grant kids’ wishes, there’s no better feeling. The ladies here help support us every year, it’s a tremendous support. It really just helps start our season off. To be able to help kids in this community who really need our help, there’s really no better organization than Make-A-Wish,” said Syracuse Men’s Basketball Coach, Jim Boeheim.

During the luncheon, the Boeheims helped surprise a little girl from Syracuse named Sophiana by sending her to Disney World.

Post-Game Quotes – Georgia Tech 98, Georgia College 76 (ramblinwreck.com)

Georgia Tech Head Coach Josh Pastner

Opening statement:
“I thought it was a good game, there was some good stuff that we did. There are a couple of things we’ve got to clean up but it was good for our guys to get under the lights for the first time and be able to see real competition other than playing against ourselves for the last few months. We had some bright spots and some things we have to clean up, but we’ll get back to work on Tuesday and get back after it.”

On hitting 11 three-pointers in the game:
“When you make three’s everything looks better. The coach looks better, the fans are happy, the players are happy just making shots. Now, we’ve hung our hat on defense since we’ve been here, and today was a bit of an awkward game because [Georgia College] is smaller. Most teams we’re going to play are going to have a true center and a more traditional four at times. But I thought we got spread out and driven, so we’ve got to be better at guarding the ball. We were a little bit better in the second half. I didn’t think our transition defense in the first half was real effect. But when we’re making three’s that’s just a good thing. But our turnovers, we got a little sloppy at times and that ended up biting us in the butt.”

On giving a lot of guys an opportunity to play:
“It was a good opportunity for all of those guys to play, we were able to balance out the minutes. As we continue to move forward it is going to be hard to play ten guys, but it gives me and our staff an opportunity to evaluate. And it gives guys experience under the lights in a real game setting.”

On Evan Cole:
“Evan has been really productive all summer and fall. I’m a big believer in production and he’s produced. Even in our stats in practice, he’s rebounding and getting things done. He’s really transitioned well to the five spot, and he got to the free-throw line. He’s got to make more free-throws, he was 5-for-10, but he got to the line.”

Jordan Nwora's toughest challenge yet: Living up to ACC player of the year expectations (C-J; Aulbach)

Jordan Nwora doesn't have much to say about being picked as the Atlantic Coast Conference preseason player of the year. It looks good now, he said, but his story will be defined by what happens at the end of the season, not the beginning.

But with that being said, sure, he thinks he deserved the recognition.

"Yeah I would have voted for myself," Nwora told The Courier Journal, with modesty but confidence, after practice last week. "... I would have voted for myself just because of how much work I’ve put in."

Nwora will be a marked man this season. This time last year he was about to step into the starting lineup after playing limited minutes as a freshman. In 2019, he's the presumed best player in what's expected to be the toughest conference in the country.

"Obviously the ACC has a lot of really good players," Nwora said when asked about the accolade. "But I don’t really take it as meaning much, really. It’s a preseason award. Nothing really matters until the end of the year."
Nwora won the preseason player of the year honor, voted on by league media members, in a landslide. He collected 55 first-place votes, while second- and third-place finishers Cole Anthony (North Carolina) and Tre Jones (Duke), respectively, had 50 votes between them.

The hype is real, but coach Chris Mack doesn't want you to call it hype. It's recognition for the work that he's put in, Mack said — now, it's on Nwora to take it in stride and continue to live up to it.
"His reaction is the most important thing, not how I feel or other people feel – how he comes to practice every day and the desire to get better every day in areas we’ve addressed with him so that he can become better," Mack said after a preseason scrimmage in October. "He’s a terrific player, you've seen what he can do. We have more weapons around him so he’s got to be a little bit more patient, but he should have a great year."

KenPom releases its 2019-2020 college basketball rankings (streakingthelawn.com; Leung)

We’re really not far away now from tipoff to the 2019-2020 men’s college basketball season, where your plucky Virginia Cavaliers to commence their title defense. You know we’re getting close not just because we’ve been counting down on this website for what feels like 3 months now, but because Ken Pomeroy has officially released his initial rankings for the season on KenPom.com, America’s favorite advanced metrics website.

The reigning national champions come in at No. 5., one of four ACC Schools in the Top 6. Michigan State came in as the top dog in the early rankings.

Last season, Virginia, of course, finished atop the KenPom standings (and indeed, atop the entire world...not sure if you’ve heard but the Hoos are the national champions). They finished second in adjusted offensive efficiency and fifth in adjusted defensive efficiency. They also finished as the slowest team in the country, ranked 353 out of 353 in adjusted and raw tempo.

Virginia lost De’Andre Hunter, Kyle Guy, Ty Jerome, and Jack Salt to graduation and the NBA. The Hoos also lost Marco Anthony (transfer to Utah State) and Frankie Badocchi (personal reasons). There’s a lot to replace here.

At the start of this season, KenPom projects that Virginia will finish 18th in adjusted offensive efficiency and second in adjusted defensive efficiency. And, in the interest of stability, the Hoos are projected to be dead last in tempo once again this year.

Out the gate, KenPom predicts an overall record of 22-7 for our Cavaliers, and a conference record of 14-6. The lone out-of-conference loss is predicted to be against Purdue on the road. Going game-by-game, the predicted conference losses are only to Louisville and North Carolina, both on the road. The difference between the prediction of the three game-by-game losses vs. the overall 7-loss season is due to compounding percentages.

Here’s what the ACC is looking like based on KenPom:

3. Louisville
4. Duke
5. Virginia
6. North Carolina
14. Florida State
28. NC State
42. Notre Dame
51. Syracuse
54. Virginia Tech
65. Miami
66. Georgia Tech
67. Pittsburgh (remind us of this 65-66-67 combo when we complain later this season how hard it is to differentiate the middle-to-bottom of the ACC)
79. Clemson
80. Wake Forest
119. Boston College (bless their hearts)

Other

OQXH5I6WRRH7BN26XXR6CS5FPI.JPG

Vince Vaughn movie ‘The Binge’ wraps filming in Syracuse (PHOTOS) (PS; Herbert)

That’s a wrap.

Film cast and crew members working on “The Binge” in Central New York say they completed production Thursday night. Social media posts show people celebrating at the Greater Syracuse Soundstage (formerly known as the nano film hub in DeWitt) with new hats from American High, the Hollywood-backed film studio in Liverpool.

“The Binge,” the sixth movie from American High, shot over nearly two months in the Syracuse area with a cast that includes Vince Vaughn (“Swingers,” “Wedding Crashers”); Skyler Gisondo (“Booksmart”), Eduardo Franco (“American Vandal”); Dexter Darden (“The Maze Runner”); Zainne Saleh (“The Night Shift”); and Grace Van Dien, the daughter of “Starship Troopers” actor Casper Van Dien.

American High owner Jeremy Garelick, who previously co-wrote “The Break-Up” starring Vaughn, directs. Garelick gushed over working with Vaughn on Instagram:

“When I was 19, my buddy, TJ took me to York Sq Theater to see an indie film called ‘Swingers.’ I walked out and knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. It was the first ‘art house’ movie I ever loved, probably because it starred the funniest person on the planet. I started writing screenplays and my main character was always written for Vince Vaughn. I was blessed enough to write and produce w him on ‘The Break Up,’ but having the chance to direct him in #thebinge was a dream realized. He might be a little older, and you might be wondering what he’s been doing lately but for all of you VV fans who have been waiting to laugh again, I promise you — he’s back...”

Colgate got a vote too. This is not an automatic win this year. They were playing very well at the end of last year.