Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Black_Thursday.jpg
Welcome to Black Thursday!

Black Thursday commemorates Thursday, October 24, 1929, a day when sellers traded close to thirteen million shares in panic on the New York Stock exchange, and endured five billion dollars in losses. Early in the day, eleven percent of the market's value was lost after heavy trading. As so much trading was going on, ticker tape reports were backed up and coming in late across the country, and investors had no way of knowing right away what stocks were valued at, which increased panic. Some of the days' panic was curbed when Richard Whitney, vice president of the Exchange, was backed by leading Wall Street investors, and placed bets on U.S. Steel and other blue chip stocks to raise confidence. This was successful to some extent, and the market recovered much of its loss, but the reprieve was short lived, and the market continued to collapse the following week. Black Thursday is seen as being the start of what was the worst stock market crash in United States history, which was followed by the Great Depression. The years prior to the crash and Great Depression were filled with rising stock prices, economic growth, and optimism. Some indication of a possible downturn was evident prior to October 24, but this was the real turning point.

SU News

Buddy Aiming for a More Complete Game (spectrumlocalnews.com; video; Callaway)

Buddy Boeheim is hoping to continue to progress as he embarks on his sophomore season with Syracuse. Buddy and the Orange open up exhibition play with Daemen on Saturday.

IIXS5T45EVHRFIXIKN3TCRUAFY.jpg

John Wallace on Syracuse jersey retirement, team chemistry, besting Derrick Coleman (PS; Ditota)

John Wallace will have his No. 44 basketball jersey retired by Syracuse University next year. The ceremony, set for Feb. 29 in the Carrier Dome, will happen at halftime of Syracuse’s game against North Carolina.

Wallace, a Rochester native who played for SU from 1993-96, led his Orange to the 1996 NCAA championship game his senior season. He currently sits third all-time in career points (2,119) and career rebounds (1,065).

I spoke with Wallace on Tuesday. Here is that conversation:

When did you find out Syracuse was going to retire your number?

Wallace: It was a while ago. John Wildhack and I spoke and he gave me the heads-up that I would be the next one to get my jersey retired and it was just a matter of picking the right time and all that stuff once the schedule came out.
When you say ‘a while ago,’ how far back are we talking?

Wallace: It just a couple months back and I just kind of kept it close to the vest. I wanted to wait until the schedule came out. He told me in confidence and I wanted to wait for the announcement.
What was your reaction?

Wallace: Oh, I’m ecstatic. To enter into the pantheon of those Syracuse greats is an amazing, amazing feeling. Just means that the university respects what I did up there during my time. The fact that Coach Boeheim considers me one of the most important recruits is special to me. And I’m going in on Coach Boeheim’s 44th season, so it’s my one way to one-up Derrick Coleman (whose No. 44 is also retired).

Jim Boeheim starts 44th season at Syracuse with young roster (ap.org; Kekis)

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has seen it all in his long career, so retooling the lineup is old hat as he gears up for his 44th season at his alma mater.

"It's the same every year. You're starting new," said Boeheim, who got a head start on the season by taking the team on a four-game exhibition tour in Italy in August. "I'm looking forward to what this team can do. It's new challenges every year. It's fun."

The Orange lost four starters from last year's 20-14 team, which lost to Baylor in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Gone are guards Tyus Battle and Frank Howard, forward Oshae Brissett, and towering center Paschal Chukwu, who together provided 58% of the scoring. Small forward Elijah Hughes, second on the team in scoring last season (13.7), is the lone returning starter. Also returning are forwards Marek Dolezaj, Robert Braswell, and Bourama Sidibe, and guards Howard Washington, Jalen Carey, and Buddy Boeheim, the coach's youngest son.

There's a lot of new raw talent with five freshmen — guards Joe Girard III and Brycen Goodine, forward Quincy Guerrier, and centers John Bol Ajak and Jesse Edwards.

Carey and Buddy Boeheim likely will be the starting backcourt when the season starts. Buddy Boeheim had a solid freshman season after a slow start, averaging 6.8 points, while the speedy Carey, a 6-foot-3 point guard, appeared in 25 games, averaging 3.5 points, his glaring weakness a penchant for turnovers (41 with 25 assists).
The Orange do have experience with Hughes, Dolezaj, and the often-injured Sidibe, an important factor with such a young roster.

"We're fortunate that we have three juniors who have played a lot, had a lot of game experience, a lot of practice experience," Jim Boeheim said. "They're going to be key for us."

OFFENSIVE CHANGE

With Battle and Howard in the backcourt and Brissett a driving force in the middle, the offense the past two seasons was slow-paced with that trio on the floor almost all of the time and too often shooting with little time on the shot clock. The goal is a faster-paced attack.

Syracuse Basketball: Quincy Guerrier is considered 1st round material (itlh; Esden Jr)

Quincy Guerrier is already considered NBA 1st round material. Here’s what the experts are saying and why Syracuse basketball is excited to have him.

While the Syracuse basketball squad may not be receiving national hype, one player on their squad is.
Quincy Guerrier.

He’s only played in a handful of practices, four Italy games, and a scrimmage. Despite the limited results, NBA people are buying the hype and potential.
Basketball analyst Jeff Goodman of Stadium released his 2020 NBA mock draft and the Orange star made an appearance:

28. Brooklyn Nets (via Philadelphia) – Quincy Guerrier, 6-foot-7, 220 pounds, SF, Fr., Syracuse, DOB: May 13, 1999

“The Montreal native can really score. He’s got an NBA-ready body for a wing, and he’s able to create his own shot and get buckets from the perimeter.”

The Canadian sensation will be a key cog for the Syracuse basketball squad in 2019-20. Elijah Hughes is the lone returning starter, which means there will be plenty of opportunities for others to step up to the plate.

Clemson looks to new faces to challenge in ACC basketball (augustachronicle.com; AP)

Clemson forward Aamir Simms didn’t enjoy what he saw during the summer with the Tigers.
Simms, a 6-foot-8 junior, was accustomed to seeing older teammates like Donte Grantham, Elijah Thomas, Marcquise Reed and Shelton Mitchell make crisp passes, dig in on defense and finish plays strongly. Instead, Clemson’s roster was filled with newcomers who weren’t quite getting it in Simms’ eyes.

Simms stayed patient and helped lead the young Tigers to a 6-0 run at the World University Games in Italy in July, when Clemson represented the United States.

“I see now, as an older player, how easily you can get frustrated watching a younger guy kind of mess up continuously,” Simms said. “It’s like something I’ve learned since I’ve been here is to have composure and be poised in certain situation.”

That will be essential this season for Simms, Clemson’s lone returning starter following the departures of Thomas, Reed, Mitchell and David Skara, all seniors who helped the Tigers make the NCAA Tournament’s Sweet 16 and two NIT appearances the past three seasons.

It’s up to Simms now to step forward and lead as Clemson’s most experienced player.
“You have to approach situations differently with each kind of guy on the team, especially with young guys because we have a really good mix of young to old,” Simms said.

ACC Basketball: 3 bold predictions for the 2019-20 season (bustingbrackets.com; Rauf)

1) Pitt challenges for an NCAA Tournament bid, but settles for the NIT

At least one team is going to benefit from so many teams having down years, and I think Pitt will emerge as that surprise team that will finish in the middle of the conference.

Yes, that’s a big jump to expect from a team that went 14-19 and won just three conference games, but the Panthers showed a ton of promise in their first season under head coach Jeff Capel.

Guards Xavier Johnson and Trey McGowans were two of the conference’s better freshmen and both are expected to play even bigger roles as sophomores. How good was Johnson in particular? He was named to the All-Freshman Team with Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett, Coby White, and Tre Jones, and I think he’ll be one of the country’s biggest breakout stars.

Pitt will still be led by their backcourt but Capel went out and added some significant upgrades that were needed after the disaster that was the Kevin Stallings era. UNCG transfer Eric Hamilton will give Pitt a reliable big man, freshman Gerald Drumgoole gives them a versatile wing player, and JUCO transfer Ryan Murphy will give them a knockdown shooter.

With those additions and the continued development of what was a young roster, eight or nine wins in a 20-game conference schedule are certainly attainable – and that should be enough to put them in the middle of the conference.
Inhabit;ord=1177898463960.4739;dc_seg=756255014

If they can upset Duke, Louisville, or UNC along the way, we could be looking at Pitt entering the bubble conversation in February and March. I still think there’s more growing this group has to do before they’ll make the Big Dance, but they’ll be relevant for the first time in a few years.

2) Syracuse finishes in the bottom third of the conference

One of those teams that is going to struggle in a big way is Syracuse. It sounds blasphemous to think that Jim Boeheim and the Orange will be one of the bottom feeders in the ACC, but I think they’ll finish in the bottom third of the conference (11th, to be exact).

Syracuse lost their three best players in Tyus Battle, Frank Howard, and Oshae Brissett, but they aren’t the only school tasked with replacing several key players. However, the Orange don’t appear to have the depth and talent necessary to replace them, and that’s the recipe for a disastrous season.

Elijah Hughes is going to have to step up and be “the guy” in 2019-20, as he’s the only returning player that averaged over seven points per game last season and he’ll be relied on to be the go-to guy offensively. He should be fine and has shown he can produce at a quality level against ACC opponents in flashes.
But after Hughes? Yeesh.

Buddy Boeheim and Marek Dolezaj look like they will be Syracuse’s secondary scoring options, which is more of an indication of the lack of talent on the roster than anything else. Buddy Boeheim is one of the better spot-up shooters in the conference, but he doesn’t have much else to his game and is reliant on others to create his shots for him. As for Dolezaj, he didn’t score more than 10 points in a game last season and only hit that 10-point mark three times.

Offense is going to be a major struggle for Syracuse even if they get good contributions from freshmen Brycen Goodine and Joe Girard III, and their defense won’t be able to carry them. They don’t have the size, athleticism, or the rebounding that has traditionally made Jim Boeheim’s 2-3 zone so successful. In fact, Boeheim has said the Orange will play some man-to-man this year because of it.

Expectations are still relatively high because of Syracuse’s prestige but don’t expect the Orange to do much of anything.

ACC Teams On The Road Again, And In The Worst Kind Of Way (DBR; Jacobs)

They won three of the last five national championships. Between them they finished six times with a piece of first place during the last five ACC regular seasons and finished by winning four ACC Tournaments.

There’s no doubt Duke, North Carolina and Virginia are the contemporary powers in the ACC, the Cavaliers having shouldered their way into the league’s first rank. Members of the trio don’t lose much within the conference, even more seldom at home.

That prowess on their home floors provides a quick measure of schedule difficulty for other ACC clubs. The more you have to play at Cameron, the Dean Dome and JPJ, the more losses you can expect to write into your league record.

Last year Duke, UNC and UVa combined to lose eight ACC games during the regular season. Five were to each other.

Only twice in 2019 did the triumvirate lose on their home courts to the other dozen conference squads: Louisville routed Carolina by 31 on Jan. 12, a game that lit a fire under the Tar Heels, and Duke fell in overtime to Syracuse after losing Tre Jones to a shoulder injury early in the first half.

Other

Z3OMZHEYRBFW7JD6ZXMVZA4JFU.jpg

Some of the best desserts in CNY are served at brunch at a gay bar (Dining Out Review) (PS; Woodman)

Trying new restaurants can be a game of chance. Sometimes one finds mediocrity in the shiniest place. And sometimes, as on our recent Sunday brunch visit to Wolf’s Den, a gay tavern on the Syracuse’s North Side, a warm welcome and really good food turn up in an unexpected spot.

Wolf’s Den offers dinner most evenings—the kitchen serves from around 5 to 9 p.m.—but brunch happens here only on Sundays from noon to 3 p.m. from Labor Day and Memorial Day. Our party of five arrived around 12:30 p.m. to a cheerful welcome and quick seating. Two mimosas or bloody marys are included in the $20 adult price, and our table tried some of each.

The mimosas were a standard blend of Prosecco and orange juice, and they were good, but the large Bloody Marys were exceptional, made with a moderately spicy mix and just enough vodka to be strong but still good tasting.

Wolf’s Den’s brunch buffet is varied, including breakfast and dinner items. Most of the menu varies from week to week, but everything is made in house and at least one vegetarian main is always offered. Among the five at our table, we tried almost everything offered on this Sunday.

The salad table was filled with several mixed choices, including a quinoa, corn and bean mix, as well as standards like pasta salad and a colorful, finely shredded coleslaw mix with a creamy dressing. A large bowl held a fresh fruit salad with pineapple, cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes and strawberries. Every salad choice tasted bright and fresh.

The longest buffet table held chafing dishes filled with a combination of breakfast and lunch items. The week’s main dinner choice from this table was a creamy chicken tikka masala with just a touch of heat, along with white rice and al dente fine green beans mixed with shredded carrot.

among those "vibrant personalities" is malcolm huckaby. from the accn's brief bio:
Malcolm Huckaby
Former Boston College standout guard, ACC Basketball Legend and Bristol, Conn., native
acc basketball legend? he left bc a full decade before the school joined the acc.

i guess in true colonizer's fashion, the acc is simply appropriating the non-acc history of all the colleges & universities it acquires.

We are the Borg

Black_Thursday.jpg

ACC Basketball: 3 bold predictions for the 2019-20 season (bustingbrackets.com; Rauf)

2) Syracuse finishes in the bottom third of the conference

One of those teams that is going to struggle in a big way is Syracuse. It sounds blasphemous to think that Jim Boeheim and the Orange will be one of the bottom feeders in the ACC, but I think they’ll finish in the bottom third of the conference (11th, to be exact).

Syracuse lost their three best players in Tyus Battle, Frank Howard, and Oshae Brissett, but they aren’t the only school tasked with replacing several key players. However, the Orange don’t appear to have the depth and talent necessary to replace them, and that’s the recipe for a disastrous season.

Elijah Hughes is going to have to step up and be “the guy” in 2019-20, as he’s the only returning player that averaged over seven points per game last season and he’ll be relied on to be the go-to guy offensively. He should be fine and has shown he can produce at a quality level against ACC opponents in flashes.
But after Hughes? Yeesh.

Buddy Boeheim and Marek Dolezaj look like they will be Syracuse’s secondary scoring options, which is more of an indication of the lack of talent on the roster than anything else. Buddy Boeheim is one of the better spot-up shooters in the conference, but he doesn’t have much else to his game and is reliant on others to create his shots for him. As for Dolezaj, he didn’t score more than 10 points in a game last season and only hit that 10-point mark three times.

Offense is going to be a major struggle for Syracuse even if they get good contributions from freshmen Brycen Goodine and Joe Girard III, and their defense won’t be able to carry them. They don’t have the size, athleticism, or the rebounding that has traditionally made Jim Boeheim’s 2-3 zone so successful. In fact, Boeheim has said the Orange will play some man-to-man this year because of it.

Expectations are still relatively high because of Syracuse’s prestige but don’t expect the Orange to do much of anything.
I suppose he could end up being right but I follow Rauf on twitter and he's a complete hack - doesn't even bother to mention QG while saying there's no size/athleticism