Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to The Day That Music Died

A long long time ago I can still remember how That music used to make me smile And I knew if I had my chance That I could make those people dance And maybe they'd be happy for a while

But February made me shiver With every paper I'd deliver Bad news on the doorstep I couldn't take one more step

I can't remember if I cried When I read about his widowed bride Something touched me deep inside The day the music died

So go the lyrics to the first verse of Don McLean's 1971 folk rock song "American Pie," which went to #1 on Billboard's Hot 100 the following year. What was this music that made him smile, when was this February day that made him shiver, and what did he mean by "the day the music died?" McLean is singing of rock and roll musicians Buddy Holly, J.P. Richardson (known professionally as the Big Bopper), and Ritchie Valens, who died in a plane crash in the early hours of February 3, 1959. On The Day the Music Died, we remember their passing and honor their legacy.

SU News

SK3A7HYARVDGZGX7VPOSUO6Y64.jpg

Axe: Syracuse has to abandon identity to make 2020 NCAA run (PS; Axe)

Syracuse basketball is synonymous with two things: Jim Boeheim and the 2-3 zone defense

I believe “Jim Boeheim and the 2-3 zone” is now his legal name.

So when is Syracuse basketball not Syracuse basketball? Here’s a hint―You have been watching it this season.

Duke’s Vernon Carey Jr. joined a long list of big men to slice-and-dice the middle of the Orange zone this season, scoring 26 points and grabbing 17 rebounds on Saturday in a 97-88 Blue Devils win.

“That’s a problem we’ve had all year,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “Everybody’s good against us. We’ve made a lot of big guys look like All-Americans this year. They’ve averaged about 24 points and 10 rebounds against us. Our zone has traditionally been able to stop people inside, but we can’t. We have two guys in there who weigh 180 pounds and 210 pounds. We’re just not being enough in there physically.”

The 97 points were the second-highest point total Syracuse has allowed since joining the ACC.

KPANZLW3XJG6VJQ3YXB6FQXIKM.jpg

10 hours before tip, fan in Texas won free tickets for Syracuse-Duke. He made it. (PS; Carlson)

Less than 10 hours before Syracuse was set to tip off against Duke on Saturday, Brian Dear received a wonderful gift. The Syracuse alum, who uses athletics as a way to re-connect with old friends, was gifted free courtside seats and VIP passes to the biggest college basketball game of the year in Central New York.

There was, however, a small complication. He was in Dallas. Duke and Syracuse played in the Carrier Dome.

The gift set off a last-minute “mad dash” from Texas to New York, with Dear delivering an effort worthy of The Amazing Race.

His journey began wisely, with some persistence and detective work.

Just before 10 a.m. on Friday morning, Syracuse announced a giveaway on its promotional Twitter feed (@CusePromos). The school would give away courtside seats to one follower who left a comment on why they wanted to win.

There were around 200 replies. One of them was from Dear. One was from his wife. One was from his friend, Nathan Bills, who he hoped to attend the game with and volunteered to pick him up from the airport.

Those odds weren’t so bad, Dear said.

“I just had a feeling,” Dear said. “Odds-wise, it wasn’t the worst.”

I need a reason to get out of Dallas this weekend, this would be a great exCUSE to do so. #BeatDuke
— Brian Dear (@Brian_Dear) January 31, 2020
Did I just buy @SouthwestAir fights to Buffalo just in case I win? Yes, yes I did. #BeatDuke
— Brian Dear (@Brian_Dear) January 31, 2020
Dear graduated from Syracuse in 1998 and works as an attorney in Dallas. He knew his willingness to drop everything and make a trip from Texas to Syracuse on the spur of the moment made his entry different. It would stand out among the others. So would the number of people backing him. He reserved airlines tickets, adding a little more pressure.

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski believes Marek Dolezaj deserves an award for his play this year (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse forward Marek Dolezaj welcomed the newest, and perhaps the most prestigious, member of his fan club on Saturday night when he gave the No. 9 team in the country fits.

One year after proving his toughness against Duke by absorbing a Zion Williamson charge, Dolezaj proved much more than that in Syracuse’s 97-88 loss to Duke on Saturday. Against the most talented team Syracuse will face this season, Dolezaj played the best game of any Orange player and set a new career-high in scoring.

He absorbed his usual share of punishment, leaving the game briefly with a left quad bruise. He doled out his own version on the offensive end.

A look at the shiner Marek Dolezaj got courtesy of Bourama Sidibe.
— Mike Waters (@MikeWatersSYR) February 2, 2020
He finished with a team-high 22 points on 8-for-14 shooting. His quickness got Duke’s centers in foul trouble, a key for teams that have beaten the Blue Devils this season. He pulled down six rebounds. He navigated his way through his own propensity to foul to stay in the court for 37 minutes, earning Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski’s recommendation for one of the ACC’s marquee season-ending awards.

“Dolezaj has got to be the most improved player in the conference,” Krzyzewski said. “He is such a good player.”

Dolezaj has essentially doubled his statistics from last year in three important categories, increasing his scoring (4.1 to 10.6), rebounding (3.5 to 7) and assists (1.6 to 3). His increased aggression on offense has probably been the biggest improvement for the Orange since the start of the season when teams that shut down Syracuse’s 3-point shooting shut down the offense.

“He’s playing great,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. “He stays out of foul trouble, he’s doing a lot of things. He’s passing. He’s driving. ... He gets to the lane. He has good moves around there and he’s difficult to guard. He’s very difficult to guard. He’s a very good player and he’s getting better all the time. Just find a way to put 20 pounds on him would be nice, but he’s still a good player.”

Coaches missing? Fouls mounting? It was no sweat for No. 9 Duke. (N&O; Wiseman)

Duke had to go through some stuff on Saturday that made its 97-88 win difficult to achieve.

Yes, there's been a lot of that going around these days.

Around the ACC, teams up and down the standings are losing players to injury. Around the country, basketball players, coaches and fans mourn Kobe Bryant's sudden death in last Sunday's helicopter crash.

The injuries are part of the game, something the Blue Devils themselves went through when they played six games without freshman guard Wendell Moore while his broken hand healed.

Bryant's stunning death left those who knew him and played with him and cheered for him emotionally raw. Players, coaches and the crowd of 31,458 at the Carrier Dome for Duke's game at Syracuse honored Bryant with a 24-second moment of silence.

Even with all that going on, life dealt Duke even more to handle.

Nolan Smith, the team's director of basketball operations, didn't make the trip to Syracuse. An illness caused his infant daughter to be hospitalized in intensive care back home. So he was missing from the Blue Devils bench at Syracuse.

Duke associate head coach Jon Scheyer was with the team at its gameday shootaround Saturday morning when he began experiencing severe pain in his abdomen and back. Taken to a nearby hospital, he had an emergency appendectomy at 2:15 p.m., less than six hours before the No. 9 Blue Devils game with the Orange.

Other

KYZMGQYBMZFDPIRR5QMFUC5KWA.jpg

Stacey Castor facts vs. fiction: Did Lifetime movie get CNY murder case right? (photos, more) (PS; Herbert)

One of Central New York’s most notorious murder cases just got the Lifetime movie treatment and, as you might expect, the network took some creative liberties with the story.

“Poisoned Love: The Stacey Castor Story" stars Oscar-nominated actress Nia Vardalos (“My Big Fat Greek Wedding”) as Stacey Castor, who was convicted of killing two husbands with antifreeze and trying to frame and murder her daughter. The “Ripped from the Headlines” TV special aired Saturday night, recreating the murders and the trial that made national news.

What really happened?

Castor fatally poisoned her second husband, David Castor, with antifreeze via a turkey baster in 2005. His death at their Wetzel Road home in Clay was originally considered a suicide, but authorities were suspicious due to forensic evidence and inconsistencies in her story.

In 2007, investigators exhumed the body of Stacey’s first husband, Michael Wallace, and a medical examiner found that he too died of antifreeze poisoning. Wallace’s cause of death in 2000 was initially ruled a heart attack.