Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Earth-Day-1100x400.png

Welcome to Earth Day!

The first Earth Day was held on April 22, 1970. Prior to this, there was virtually no environmental movement. Factories pumped toxins into the air, recycling was almost non-existent, and gas guzzling vehicles were the norm. The seeds of the modern movement had been planted, however, with the publishing of Rachel Carson's Silent Spring in 1962. This book raised the public's awareness of pollution and its effect on health. In 1969, water pollution and chemical waste disposal came to the attention of the public, after the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland caught fire.

Democratic Senator Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin was deeply concerned about environmental issues. After witnessing the Santa Barbara oil spill in 1969, he began planning for the first Earth Day. This was during the time of Vietnam War protests and teach-ins, and Nelson thought he could bring the problems of pollution into the public consciousness by organizing similar types of teach-ins. He hoped that by shining a spotlight on environmental issues in this way, there may be a chance of bringing them into the realm of national priorities, where they had yet to be seen. He announced Earth Day at a conference in Seattle in September of 1969.

SU News

Axe: Fantasy matchup of Boeheim recruits and moving on from Hughes (mailbag) (PS; Axe)

Ask me no questions and I’ll tell you no lies, but ask away you did so here is a swing at questions on Elijah Hughes, a fantasy matchup of Boeheim recruits, a delayed football season, lacrosse as a title favorite, and ... pop tarts?

To the mailbag we go:

Q: Do you believe that Elijah Hughes will be ready for the NBA next season and where do you see Syracuse Basketball moving forward without Hughes? — @BwnSports33

Brian, that’s technically two questions, but times are tough out there so I’ll throw in a second answer for free.

I think Hughes is ready for the NBA next season. He’s 23 and his game travels well to any NBA roster.

Hughes can shoot the 3, has terrific dribble penetration, is an underrated passer and took plenty of tough shots in the big moments.

Brissett brothers could reunite if Toronto Argonauts draft Dejon (torontosun.com; Barnes)

Brissett brothers could reunite if Toronto Argonauts draft Dejon

Dejon Brissett went away to high school in Illinois and returned to a sibling surprise.

“I came back for summer break and all of a sudden my brother was taller than me, and his basketball career took off and I kind of went after football.”Younger brother Oshae is a member of the Toronto Raptors G League team based in Mississauga, Ont., which is also the Brissett family’s home base. If Dejon, a 6-foot-1, 195-pound wide receiver, were to be drafted by the Canadian Football League’s Toronto Argonauts on April 30, the brothers have already talked about living together.

But they have been apart for more than five years, as Dejon chased his football dream to the University of Virginia, and Oshae played hoops at Syracuse.

Oshae opted into the 2019 National Basketball Association draft but never heard his name called. He subsequently signed as a free agent with the Raptors. So he had some words of advice for his big brother as the National Football League and CFL drafts approach.

Syracuse Basketball: Just outside of new Joe Lunardi Bracketology (itlh; Mlodzinski)

ESPN’s Joe Lunardi has Syracuse basketball on the outside looking in on his latest 2020-21 preseason Bracketology.

ESPN bracketologist Joe Lunardi has forecast his predictions in a new ‘Way Too Early’ edition of preseason rankings. While Syracuse basketball didn’t make the cut, they seem to be on the rise.

On April 21, ESPN bracketologist Joe Lunardi — or maybe more commonly known as “the guy who can never seem to get it right with Syracuse” — released his third Way-Too-Early bracket predictions edition for next season.

To be fair, we can’t fault him for not always accurately predicting if Syracuse basketball will be left out or not. Just take 2016 for example, when he claimed “I have them out and they’re going to stay out” just days before Selection Sunday.

Syracuse then went on to reach the Final Four that year.

In other words, for how good Lunardi is at his job – and trust me, I’ve made my own bracket predictions over the past two year’s – even he sometimes doesn’t know exactly what the committee is looking for and who they will ultimately select to represent the field of 68.

syracuse.com reporter Mike Waters catches up with Buddy and Jimmy Boeheim at their home.

Historically, players who transfer from Syracuse basketball rarely exceed - The Juice Online (the juice; McGlynn)

Earlier in the week, I wrote about how Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has done incredibly well in the transfer market, nabbing stars like Wes Johnson, Michael Gbinije and Elijah Hughes.

On the flip side of this, it is rare that Boeheim ever lets true talent walk out the door. The list of players to exit during Boeheim’s tenure is long, so let’s just focus on the past 20 years (so we don’t need to think about hometown hero Matt Roe).

Easily the biggest one to get away in since 2000 was BJ Johnson. After two underwhelming years at SU, Johnson bolted for LaSalle and went on to average 19.1 points per game in his final two collegiate seasons.

He also developed an outside shot, shooting 36 percent from 3-point land with the Explorers. Johnson is currently working his way into the NBA. He has been back and forth between a few association teams and the G League.

Joining Johnson among players who have excelled post Syracuse is Tony Bland. He went on to average 16.1 points per game over two seasons with San Diego State.

Overall though, there have not been many who went on to wow in different uniforms. Mark Konency was a promising freshman who suddenly withdrew from school in November of 2001. He transferred to UCF, but never played there, eventually switching to a community college before finishing his college career with Lambuth University.

James Thues left after two seasons and eventually became a full-time starter at Detroit Mercy. His teammate, DeShaun Williams, also left Syracuse following the 2002 season, and finished his career averaging 14.8 points and 3.0 assists for Iona.

More ACC Transfer News (DBR; King)

Two more bits of transfer news, both heading out of the ACC.

First, Louisville guard Darius Perry will play his final year for Duke legend Johnny Dawkins at Central Florida. He couldn’t do much better than that. Dawkins is a honorable and decent a man as you could possibly hope for. He’ll be treated well there. His dad thinks so too. When asked why UCF he said: “Johnny Dawkins: He is the right coach for him. We went by relationships and not the name on the front of the jersey. They are going to put the ball into his hands, and I like the pieces that are going to be around him. They will make Darius a better player.”

And secondly, Virginia Tech’s Landers Nolley will transfer to Memphis. It’s actually his second time in the transfer protocol: he thought about transferring after Buzz Williams took off but stuck around for a year with Mike Young.

His future at Memphis has some uncertainty since Memphis has a reckoning with the NCAA coming up.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/g-le...ball-recruiting-landscape-continues-to-shift/ (accsports.com; Geisinger)

Recruiting in college basketball will likely never be the same. While the NBA and its players association (NBPA) remain at an impasse with the removal of the one-and-done rule, changes to the preps-to-pros process aren’t just on the horizon. They are here, right now.

Late last week, 5-star wing Jalen Green, a top-3 prospect in the 2020 recruiting class, forged a new path. As opposed to playing for Auburn or Memphis, Green elected for a different route; he will join a reshaped NBA professional pathway program. This new initiative, brought on by the G League, will pay elite prospects — like Green — $500,000 (with the potential for more) and provide a one-year development program. This new outfit will be shaped differently, and occur outside of the the league’s traditional structure.

The decision sent shockwaves through the sport. Even at time when sports are dealing with financial struggles, the NBA and its developmental league were willing to commit large chunks of money to attract the top prep talent. (This, in theory, is one of the things the Commission on College Basketball hoped to achieve.)

These changes are here to stay.

Retrace The Steps

About 18 months ago, the NBA and G League put forth a plan to offer elite prospects “Select Contracts” for $125,000. That, however, proved unsuccessful; the dollar amount simply wasn’t competitive. Two of the top players in the 2019 recruiting class — LaMelo Ball and RJ Hampton, the No. 5 overall prospect — elected to play for teams in the NBL. Ball played in Australia, while Hampton stationed himself in New Zealand.

Other

GettyImages-701095700_54_990x660.jpg

Coronavirus cooking: I tried making garbage plates at home (PS; video; Tulloch)

Reporter Katrina Tulloch tries to make iconic Upstate New York foods at home during the coronavirus shutdown. Next up? Garbage plates.