Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to National Twilight Zone Day!

Today we celebrate the anthology television series The Twilight Zone. It is unclear why the show is celebrated on May 11, as there is no apparent connection between the date and the show. During its 5-season run, the series was both popular with fans and became critically acclaimed.

The Twilight Zone premiered on October 2, 1959, on CBS. It was created by Rod Serling, who not only came up with its concept and wrote or co-wrote 92 of its 156 episodes but also hosted and narrated it. It was one of the first science fiction series, and also had elements of suspense, horror, psychological fiction, drama, and fantasy. Serling combined his love of pulp fiction novels with topics that weren't often addressed on television at the time: social issues such as war (including nuclear), McCarthyism, and racism. In the opening of each episode, characters were transported to another dimension—the fifth dimension—which was called "the Twilight Zone." There they dealt with many unusual events, and the show often had a surprise ending with a moral lesson.

SU News

Reactions and grades from Syracuse basketball mock draft (itlh; Mlodzinski)

Five Syracuse celebrity alumni competed in an Orange themed mock draft. Here’s a look at which Syracuse basketball stars they chose, and some reactions.

Coach Jim Boeheim has had a storied history as head coach of Syracuse basketball. His significance to the Orange has been documented by five final fours and one national championship, as well as many other accomplishments. Is 44 seasons at the helm of the ‘Cuse also holds some significance in it’s own. That number resonates with Syracuse Athletics more than any other digit, as the Orange football team has had numerous pro football and Hall of Fame running backs don it.

So it perfect quarantine media style – where any idea is a good one – our friends at Syracuse.com decided to run with it. They came up with a Syracuse basketball mock draft that featured three former Syracuse basketball greats (Brittney Sykes, Dave Bing, and Eric Devendorf), and fittingly, Syracuse broadcasting alumni (Beth Mowins and Sean McDonough). The event was hosted by Syracuse.com’s very own Mike Waters.

Thanks for putting up with a Syracuse basketball fanatic, Mom (itlh; Adler)

Seeing that Sunday is Mother’s Day, it’s only fair that this writer’s Mom receives a huge shout-out for embracing his Syracuse basketball shenanigans.

There are thousands upon thousands of people out there who are obsessed with Syracuse basketball. Proudly – or annoyingly, depending on your perspective – I am one of those folks.

But along with this enthusiasm and passion for the Orange comes the occasional absurdity. Like pretty much every single time that the ‘Cuse loses a game, or misses out on a recruit.

My infatuation with Syracuse hoops will never wane, but I have controlled myself a bit more in recent years whenever the team doesn’t fare well. Chalk it up to getting older, and attempting to keep things in perspective.

Yet through my ongoing saga with my beloved Orange, my dear Mother has always stood by me – literally and metaphorically. Well, much of the time, anyways.

Uncharted Territory: Colgate men's hoops coach Matt Langel addresses final game played (cnycentral.com; Hauswirth)

It feels like yesterday when live sporting events were part of our daily lives.

Or depending on who you ask, it may feel like an eternity.

"In so many ways it seems like it's gone by in the blink of an eye," Colgate head men's basketball coach Matt Langel said. "That seems like it was yesterday because when it comes to work and our profession, we haven't been able to move on beyond that in a lot of ways. But in some ways it seems like an eternity, obviously."

It was the Patriot League Championship Game, Wednesday on the 11th of March from Hamilton, New York.

The last time I covered a live game before the Coronavirus invaded our country.

And nothing has been the same since.

I still remember like it was yesterday, hauling all of my equipment into the Reid Athletic Center, preparing to go live in our 6 p.m. show.

Other

ZQVWJS4AVZCSFJOF6VHPTL4ADE.jpg

Jerry Stiller dead: ‘Seinfeld’ star, Syracuse University alumnus dies at 92 (PS; AP)

Comedy veteran and Syracuse University alumnus Jerry Stiller, who launched his career opposite wife Anne Meara in the 1950s and reemerged four decades later as the hysterically high-strung Frank Costanza on the smash television show “Seinfeld,” died at 92, his son Ben Stiller announced Monday.

He died of natural causes, his son — a comedy star himself — said in a tweet.

Jerry Stiller was a multi-talented performer who appeared in an assortment of movies, playing Walter Matthau’s police sidekick in the thriller “The Taking of Pelham One Two Three” and Divine’s husband Wilbur Turnblad in John Waters’ twisted comedy “Hairspray.”

He also wrote an autobiography, “Married to Laughter,” about his 50-plus year marriage to soul mate and comedic cohort Meara, who died in 2015. And his myriad television spots included everything from “Murder She Wrote” to “Law and Order” — along with 36 appearances alongside Meara on “The Ed Sullivan Show.”