Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
11461.jpg
Welcome to Fly a Kite Day/National Electricity Day!

Fly a Kite Day takes place on the anniversary of the date in 1752 when Benjamin Franklin flew a kite in a thunderstorm, with the intent of proving that lightning was caused by a discharge of electricity (some sources say he flew his kite on June 10). His experiment led to further understanding of positive and negative charges, the proving that lightning was an electrical discharge, and to the invention of the lightning rod—which provided a safe way to discharge electricity and a way to prevent fires. Lightning rods are still used today to protect buildings, ships, and people.

Franklin began his experiments with electricity in 1747 and began hypothesizing about the connection between electricity and lightning two years later. He set out to prove his hypothesis; his idea was to erect iron rods into storm clouds to attract electricity. He believed he would need to be on high ground for his experiment to work, but he was in Philadelphia, a city that is quite flat. At first, he was waiting for the steeple to be finished at Christ Church, believing that he could use it for his experiment.

SU News

Newton on SU basketball recruiting class: ‘We can compete with any 2020 class’ (PS; Waters)

The wait is almost over for Woody Newton.

Newton, a 6-foot-8 forward from Mt. Zion Prep in Lanham, Maryland, is a member of the Syracuse basketball program’s 2020 recruiting class.

He committed to Syracuse in May of 2019. Since then, he graduated from Mt. Zion, then returned to the school for an additional year at the prep level.

Now, Newton is less than a month from finally moving up to Syracuse.

“On our last Zoom call, they told us we should be able to be back on campus by July 1," Newton said. “I feel like the sooner I can get up to school, the more I can work on my body. I can work on my game and dedicate my time to the gym. Not two or three hours a day. I’m talking countless hours."

In March, Newton led Mt. Zion to the quarterfinals of the National Prep School Tournament, where it lost to Putnam (Connecticut) Science Academy.

Then the coronavirus pandemic shut down most of the country except for the gym at Mt. Zion. Newton took advantage of the private school’s ability to keep its gym open to the basketball players.

DolezajSidibe_Niagara_2-678x381.jpg

Expectations for Syracuse basketball's starters in 2020-21 - The Juice Online (the juice; Dagostino)

With the recent addition of 2020 center Frank Anselem, Syracuse basketball’s roster appears to be set for the 2020-21 season.

While we wait on the waiver status of Illinois transfer Alan Griffin, Syracuse’s projected starting lineup looks similar to last season, with four of the five players returning. The only difference will be the departure of Elijah Hughes, who declared for the NBA draft, and the likely insertion of sixth man Quincy Guerrier into the top five.

Individually, here are some realistic expectations of how each starter should perform and what they could best bring to the team in the fall:

Joseph Girard III. At 12.4 points per game last season, Girard was one of four Syracuse players to average in double figures. With Hughes gone, Girard may be the prime candidate to take over that role. Some questioned his shot selection last season, as he shot just 32.4 percent from deep. Keep in mind, though: Gerry McNamara shot just 35 percent from beyond the arc in his freshman season (and in his career, for that matter). And McNamara raised his percentage from deep to 38 percent in his sophomore season.

If Syracuse has one shot to win a game late, while Buddy Boeheim may be the best pure shooter on the team, Girard would be the guy with the moxie to take (and make) that shot, just like the guy who he is most compared to, McNamara. Girard had five games of 20 or more points last season. That number could double Girard is poised to become the No. 1 option on offense next season.

Buddy Boeheim. Speaking of Boeheim, Buddy saw his minutes more than double last season, from 17.1 to 35.6 per game. His points jumped from 6.8 to 15.3 per game. No longer just the coach’s son, Boeheim planted his roots as a reliable scoring option for Syracuse.

As hot and cold as Girard might run, Boeheim is ol’ faithful, when it comes to scoring. Boeheim scored in double figures in 27 of 32 games last season. Expect more of the same from Buddy, which is not bad for the coach’s son…

Episode 232- Syracuse Football/Basketball: Juice News & Basketball Chat W/ @JamesSzuba! (youtube; podcast; Cuse Militia)

Episode 232- Syracuse Football/Basketball: Juice News & Basketball Chat W/ @JamesSzuba!

Syracuse Basketball: Boeheim’s Army deserves a top-three seed in TBT (itlh; Adler)

Boeheim’s Army, a squad of former Syracuse basketball stars, has put together a ridiculously stacked roster.

The 24-team field of this summer’s The Basketball Tournament (“TBT”) will get unveiled on June 16, and it would come as a total stunner if Boeheim’s Army, comprised of former Syracuse basketball players, isn’t among the participants.

The winner-take-all event, with a 2020 purse of $1 million, will transpire from July 4-14 at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, the tournament’s organizers have announced.

The invited TBT entrants, competing in the tourney’s seventh installment, will suit up under quarantine in the first live televised basketball played in the United States since mid-March, when the novel coronavirus pandemic halted the NBA as well as collegiate hoops prior to March Madness getting underway.

By having this summer’s TBT in Columbus, the 2019 champion, Carmen’s Crew, can defend its title in its hometown. Carmen’s Crew is made up of Ohio State alumni.

Former Syracuse basketball guys known collectively as Boeheim’s Army have a legit chance at claiming the TBT crown.

Tournament officials say that more than 120 groups have applied to play in the 2020 TBT, and only two-dozen will make the cut. For my money, the top three seeds, in no particular order, should amount to Carmen’s Crew, four-time TBT winner Overseas Elite, and Boeheim’s Army.

I know, people will say that I’m acting like a homer in suggesting Boeheim’s Army as such a stellar seed. But this team, which a few days ago added its ninth member in 6-foot-7 small forward Andrew White III, is truly loaded.

ACC Syracuse Basketball | Syracuse Orange Basketball: Top 5 Plays of the 2019-20 season (247sports.com; video)

ACC Syracuse Basketball | Syracuse Orange Basketball: Top 5 Plays of the 2019-20 season

Watch the top 5 plays from the Syracuse Orange's 2019-20 season.

Tar Heels Dominate the NBA Top 100 Career Scoring List (SI; Schade)

On June 4, the NBA began rolling out plans for the resumption and completion of the 2019-20 season. Everything seems to be up in the air right now about what will actually happen. Some players are understandably hesitant. Others are all for the plan. Regardless of what actually comes to fruition, it does appear that several teams, including Vince Carter’s Hawks, are finished for the season.

This means that his incredible and lengthy career will come to an end he likely never imagined. Upon hearing this news, ESPN’s Bryan Ives sent out the following two tweets:

This list got me thinking: “Wow! Four of the five highest-scoring former ACC players in NBA history are Tar Heels. I wonder what else the NBA career scoring list reveals about the ACC and North Carolina.”

So I did what I always do: I researched the heck out of it.

I expanded the scope to look at the top 100 scorers in NBA history (with stats up to date through when the shutdown started on March 12). I looked at each player, where they went to college (or didn’t if they were pre-one-and-done), and what conference they played in.

I had all sorts of questions swirling through my head:

What schools are most represented on the list? What schools have less representation that you would expect? What conferences are most represented on the list? How does Carolina compare to other schools? Of all the ACC players on the list, where do different Tar Heels rank? How many Tar Heels are on the list as compared to other ACC schools?

A couple of caveats:

I based the conference numbers on what conference the school was in at the time that player was in school. If the school was in multiple conferences during a player’s tenure, I chose the conference the school was in for the majority of that player’s career. For conferences that changed their number, but essentially stayed the same conference, I counted them as the same. An example would be the Pac-8/10/12.

I should also note that five players on the list (LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Moses Malone, Kevin Garnett, and Dwight Howard) went straight from high school to the pros and three players on the list (Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, and Tony Parker) came to the NBA internationally and don’t have colleges represented on the list.

450561725.jpg.0.jpg

What If: Red Auerbach Had Stayed At Duke? (DBR; King)

Gerry Gerard took over as head basketball coach at Duke in 1942 under some pretty unusual circumstances. The job became vacant when Eddie Cameron moved over to become head football coach after head football coach Wallace Wade joined the U.S. Army, where he served in the European Theater of Operations.

The U.S. was ramping up its involvement in the war and Duke was transitioning to a Navy V-12 school, most of the male students training to become officers.

And Gerard hardly was an obvious choice to succeed Cameron. Gerard was best-known as Red Grange’s backup at Illinois; Grange was one of college football’s first superstars. Gerard came to Duke to start the intramural program and later started the school’s soccer program.

He also officiated high-school football and basketball to supplement his coaching income.

Different times.

Other

Cuomo to bars, restaurants: If your crowds are too big, NY will yank liquor license (PS; Weaver)

Restaurants and bars that attract too many customers at one time as New York reopens businesses risk losing their liquor licenses, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said today.
The reminder came after the state has received 25,000 complaints about reopening violations in recent days. Most of those complaints were about businesses in Manhattan and the Hamptons, Cuomo said.

Still, Cuomo said, the State Liquor Authority is out looking for businesses that are violating the rules as businesses slowly begin operating amid the coronavirus. Currently, indoor service is available at 50% capacity at restaurants and bars in Central New York.

“State liquor authority inspectors are out,” he said. “You can lose your liquor license. And that is a big deal for a bar or restaurant. We are not kidding around about this.”

Customers caught drinking alcohol on sidewalks or streets can also be ticketed for violating open container laws, he said.

Cuomo said it’s also the responsibility of local governments to monitor compliance of reopening guidelines. “Mayors, county executives, you have to do your job,” he said.

If the crowds get out of hand, and if local officials don’t address them, Cuomo said he would reverse reopening phases in those areas.

“That is what is going to happen here,” he said. “I am warning today, in a nice way.”