Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
night_at_the_museum_battle_of_the_smithsonian.jpg

Welcome to Museum Comes to Life Day!

Hear that? It’s your museum coming to life! On June 24, museums across the globe, or at least across the U.S. are supposed to become even more exciting and interactive to celebrate Museum Comes To Life Day.

Sadly, it seems that few museums actually celebrate this on June 24, while others pick random days throughout the year to pull out all the stops. (Actually I couldn’t find any celebrating June 24, 2012, which is just awful! If you know of one, please comment and let me know!)

So, if no museums near you are holding special parties, how can you celebrate? I suggest visiting a favorite museum anyway, or exploring one you’ve never been in. You can choose anything, from a local city/county history museum to a modern art gallery. Then in the evening, grab the popcorn, because I know you want to watch “Night At the Museum.”

SU News

Screen-Shot-2020-06-23-at-5.57.49-PM-1024x887.png

Fizz Four: Program Personalities (No. 4) – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (oragnefizz.net; Singer)

With off-court news rightfully dominating headlines, this may very well be a timely one. As we look at we highlight four personalities within the realm of Syracuse basketball, we’ll cover names that have done some great things, both locally in Syracuse – and the Central New York area – and beyond. Whether be the captivity of these four personalities or displayed charitable nature, hopefully a spotlight on some of the things each one has done and moments they have been a part of will serve as a nice pick-me-up during these chaotic times.

To start off this four-part series, let’s roll right into No. 4.

No. 4: Derrick Coleman

It’s unfortunate that some people immediately correlate Coleman’s name with negative traits. There’s been articles published in the past calling him “lazy” and a “bust” in the NBA despite – after being selected first overall in 1990 – playing 15 seasons. Sure, the once extremely promising power forward didn’t quite live up to expectations after his time at Syracuse, in large part to several injuries. He also admittedly displayed maturity issues throughout his playing career. Just ask Karl Malone, for one. But, to say the 1991 NBA Rookie of the Year didn’t turn things around after his playing days would be naïve. In fact, it’s this feel-good element in his comeback story that has Coleman sneaking onto this list.

It certainly took some time for Coleman to right the ship after originally falling in over his head financially, a few years after his retirement. It wasn’t until 2010 – when bankruptcy forced him back to Detroit – that Coleman seemed to show new signs of life. The evidence was reflected in the form of helping others.

In 2016, Coleman began assisting residents in Flint, Michigan, who endured the crisis of lead-infested tap water, leaving many people poisoned – including children, infants and their families. Living in Detroit, Coleman drove 65 miles to Flint each and every day to deliver to deliver cases of water to Flint residents, providing them with food as well as eating utensils and drinking cups.

Just a few years later, Coleman started up a youth camp in Detroit, providing kids with basketball training, but also educational opportunities in reading, arts, math and technology. The camp takes place in the very community in Detroit Coleman grew up in.

Syracuse Basketball: Orange targets make moves in new 2022 rankings (itlh; Adler)

Recruiting service Prep Hoops has put out its latest ratings for the 2022 class, with many Syracuse basketball prospects in the top 50.

Syracuse basketball has one five-star commit in its 2022 recruiting cycle, and the Orange is honing in on about 10 different targets to potentially join elite point guard Dior Johnson in this class.

Prep Hoops, a recruiting service, recently published its most-recent rankings of the top-250 players across the country in the 2022 class, and virtually all of the guys whom the ‘Cuse is targeting arrive in the top 100, if not higher.

Johnson, who in April said that he would transfer from Mayfair High School in Lakewood, Calif., to powerhouse program Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., checks in at No. 11 on the Prep Hoops list. A lot of the other main recruiting services peg Johnson as a top-five prospect in his class and the No. 1 point guard.

Who will step up for SU Basketball? One legend says it doesn't have to be one star (cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

It's inevitable, with Syracuse Basketball fans.

During the offseason Central New Yorkers and those faithful fans in Orange all over the world wonder what next year's team will look like.

The Syracuse coaches have a feel, but really until they can see the players in person it's tough to gauge how new players to the program look and how many improvements returning teammates make.

Roosevelt Bouie, a Syracuse legend with his jersey retired at the Dome, offered some perspective on what the team may need to do.

It'll certainly have a different feel with the ACC's leading scorer Elijah Hughes leaving for the NBA. A move that Bouie saw coming in the summer of 2019.

"I remember telling Elijah when I went to Italy with them, when I came back from Italy I said to him "This is your team, this team goes as you go, this is your team because it goes as you do but more importantly they'll follow as you lead" Bouie said.

But that's just it. Hughes led and a young team followed in his footsteps, setting the stage for stars to shine even brighter in the 2020-2021 season.

"I get excited when somebody like that takes that next step, I wish him the best of luck, but it also leaves an opening for who's that next player that's going to step up and take that responsibility. I get excited about those kind of things because in my years Coach Boeheim, we didn't have that one step-up player, we were led by a strong group. Whomever was having a strong game, we supported them."

Emmanuel Okpomo commits, Wake Forest lands 3-star 2020 center - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger)

Emmanuel Okpomo commits, Wake Forest lands 3-star 2020 center
Wake Forest basketball is on the board with a frontcourt commitment for its 2020 recruiting class: Emmanuel Okpomo
On Tuesday, Okpomo, a 3-star center from Oak Hill Academy, committed to the Demon Deacons. The 6-foot-10 Okpomo is now the second incoming freshman in the 2020 class, along with 3-star guard Quadry Adams.
Okpomo initially committed to and signed with South Florida; however, back in April, Okpomo got out of that commitment. 247 Sports ranks Okpomo as the No. 47 center in the 2020 recruiting cycle. Okpomo had other offers from UConn, Houston, VCU, Virginia Tech and East Tennessee State, where Steve Forbes used to coach.

110% Committed
— Okpomo Emmanuel (@EmmanuelOkpomo) June 24, 2020
This marks the first high school commitment Forbes has landed at Wake Forest — since taking over from Danny Manning two months ago. Okpomo will join a frontcourt rotation with sophomore center Ody Oguama, who flirted with the idea of transferring before electing to return to Wake Forest.

Forbes has already landed a trio of transfers, too: Jonah Antonio (UNLV), Jalen Johnson (Tennessee) and Daivien Williamson (ETSU).

Louisville basketball lands commitment from Gabe Wiznitzer (scacchoops.com; Rutherford)
The mystery of the final scholarship for the 2020-21 Louisville men’s basketball roster has been solved.
Gabe Wiznitzer, a three-star center from Hargrave Military Academy, has committed to U of L. Wiznitzer will reclassify to the 2020 class, join the Cardinals for the 2020-21 season, and redshirt said season.

Cardinal Nation I’m coming!! #Committed
— Gabe Wiz (@GabeWiznitzer) June 23, 2020
“I chose Louisville and coach [Chris] Mack because he has an in-depth plan for me and my development,” Wiznitzer told 247 Sports. “I’ll be with their strength coach everyday and practicing against some of the best bigs in the country every day too. I just think going 2020 and redshirting will allow me to be the most ready I can be whenever I am able to play. Overall it’s just a great situation and I have a lot of trust in the coaching staff.”

The No. 132 prospect in America according to 247 Sports. Wiznitzer also had offers from LSU, Kansas State, Clemson, DePaul, Iowa, Ohio State, West Virginia, Georgia Tech and Iona, among others.

Wiznitzer averaged 13 points and 10 rebounds per game as a junior at Hargrave last season. He joins Montrezl Harrell, Terry Rozier and Anton Gill as the fourth player to arrive at U of L by way of the prestigious academy in Virginia.

Here are some highlights of the newest Cardinal:

A Promising New ACC Documentary (DBR; King)

By any standard, the 2020 ACC Tournament was bizarre. It was canceled on the third day due to the Covid 19 pandemic before Florida State and Clemson could take the court.

Due to the double bye, the top four teams - Florida State, Virginia and Louisville never got to take the floor.

On the bright side, UNC went out on the second day, losing to Syracuse 81-53.

So there’s that.

The ACC has made a documentary about the tournament and the way things worked out and that makes sense. Why not get something out of it?

At an absolute minimum there are going to be lots of stories to come out of it, some probably pretty harrowing, so you’ll want to see this.

Looks like we actually missed the first episode but Part II is scheduled for Wednesday at 9:00 and then the final two parts on Thursday and Friday, also at nine.

Devo_TBTSun_1.jpg

Syracuse alumni team Boeheim's Army has TBT title aspirations - The Juice Online (the juice; McGlynn)

It feels like it has been much longer than three months since we last got to watch a college basketball game. Any basketball game for that matter.

But we are just about two weeks away from the start of The Basketball Tournament (TBT) meaning we get to watch some of the greatest Syracuse basketball players suit up together again. Unlike last year’s team, this group seems a lot more balanced and has the potential to get back to the semifinals for the first time since 2017.

Some of last year’s key players are back. Eric Devendorf will once again lead the way offensively. The former grad transfer duo of Andrew White and John Gillon have signed on for another run. Brandon Triche will also be healthy this time around.

Outside of general manager Kevin Belby, that’s where the hold overs from last year end. That’s a good thing.

The 2019 version of Boeheim’s Army was a bit too old and lacked size. If you want to run that zone right, you need tons of length on the interior.

The additions are strong for this 2020 team. Chris McCullough is set to play this year after overseas commitments made him unavailable in 2019. He will be joined down low by Tyler Lydon and Donte Green. Green is the smallest of that group measuring in at 6’9″.

TBT 2020: The top player for all 24 teams (espn; Carcieri)

As the first major American basketball event to take center stage during the coronavirus pandemic, The Basketball Tournament is set for its biggest year yet. It's not just about the storylines -- Carmen's Crew seeking a repeat before Aaron Craft retires or Overseas Elite looking for revenge -- but also about the new stars set to take the hardwood.

After breaking down all 24 teams in the bracket last week, we move a step closer to July 4 by looking at every squad's best player.

William Buford, Carmen's Crew (Ohio State alumni)

As TBT's 2019 MVP, Buford helped lead Carmen's Crew to its first title by averaging a team-high 17.8 points per game. While Craft could easily be mentioned here for his elite defensive skills and leadership, the two-time second team All-Big Ten selection gets the nod for his scoring punch and solid performance in an upset of Overseas Elite last year.

Joe Johnson, Overseas Elite

While no one will forget two-time TBT MVP D.J. Kennedy, Johnson is the most accomplished player in the tournament. He was selected as the No. 10 overall pick in the 2001 NBA draft before reeling off seven All-Star appearances and a spot on the All-NBA third team in 2010. With a career average of 16 points per game in 17 NBA seasons, there's no doubt Johnson is must-see TV in Columbus.

Malachi Richardson, Boeheim's Army (Syracuse alumni)

Between Tyler Lydon, Chris McCullough and Eric Devendorf, Boeheim's Army has many candidates for the best player on its roster. Richardson stands out, though, as he played NCAA tournament hero in 2016 by helping Syracuse advance to the Final Four. Later that year, the one-and-done prospect was selected in the first round of the NBA draft.

Pitt’s Jeff Capel knows something about climbing out of a hole (theundefeated.com; Washington)

When Jeff Capel got the head coaching job at the University of Pittsburgh, one of the first things he told his team was, “Go home.”

It was spring 2018. The Panthers had finished the season 8-24, including an unfathomable 0-19 in the ACC. Kevin Stallings had been fired after two years as head coach. Eight players requested transfers, and the lone high school recruit jumped ship. Just nine years after reaching No. 1 in the polls and coming within a buzzer-beater of the Final Four, Pitt had been held to seven points in the first half of a game. Not a football game. A basketball game.

Players normally stay on campus during the summer to take classes and work out. Capel decided they needed to get away and erase the memory of Pitt’s worst season.

“Then when you come back, let’s be ready to really get after this thing and understand how hard it’s going to be,” Capel recalled telling his players. “No one’s going to feel sorry for us, especially in this league. It’s a very unforgiving league, but we have to fight.”

Capel is counting on that fight to revive Pitt basketball. And this 43-year-old scion of the Duke dynasty actually knows something about climbing up from the bottom.

Capel, son of a college and pro coach, was a four-year starter for the Blue Devils as a 6-foot-4-inch guard. His freshman year, Duke lost to Arkansas in the national championship game. The next season, with Grant Hill gone to the NBA and coach Mike Krzyzewski out of commission with health issues, Duke went 13-18 overall, 2-14 in the ACC, and failed to make the NCAA tournament. For Duke, missing the tournament is as unthinkable as Coach K’s hair going gray — it’s just not supposed to happen.

The following season, Duke started ACC play 0-4, then clawed back to make the NCAAs and finish 18-13.

Horwitz joins Hobart Hoops staff (hwsathletics.com)

Hobart College Head Basketball Coach Stefan Thompson '13 announced the hiring of Ben Horwitz as his assistant coach for the 2020-21 season. The 2017 graduate of Syracuse University joins the Statesmen after two seasons as a graduate assistant manager with the Syracuse men's basketball team.

"Ben's passion to grow as a coach and to help make those around him the best versions of themselves is inspiring," says Thompson. "Seeing the relationships he's been able to establish and maintain throughout his career is something that stood out during the interview process. He's detailed, has a tremendous work capacity and most importantly is authentic. I'm confident Ben will be able to elevate our Hobart Basketball program – we're all excited to have him joining the HWS community!"

Horwitz has been a team manager for SU for six seasons, four as an undergraduate and two more as a graduate student. As a member of Head Coach Jim Boeheim's support team, he has been a part of three 20-win Orange teams, including the 2015-16 team's run to the NCAA Final Four. Horwitz worked with the assistant coaches on analysis and breakdown of opponent video. He participated in limited on-court activities for practice and individual student-athlete workouts. Horwitz also had responsibilities related to game day preparations, team travel, academics and recruiting.

In addition to his time in Syracuse, the native of West Hartford, Conn., was an assistant coach for the Post University men's basketball team during the 2017-18 season. He collaborated with the coaching staff on practice plans and player development, coordinated team travel, assisted with recruitment and was responsible for opponent scouting.

Other

23VG7NICDRER3FDULR43ZGLBDQ.jpg

Boeheim Foundation surprises CNY teen with donation for hunger program (PS; Curtis)

Make-A-Wish honoree Caden Custer received a few surprises during a press conference at the Food Bank of Central New York on Tuesday evening.

Jim and Juli Boeheim, accompanied by their children Buddy, Jimmy and Jamie, presented Custer with a $10,000 matching grant on behalf of their foundation.

The effort is part of the second phase of the Skaneateles High School senior’s wish experience that will help feed local families in need.

The donation will go toward the Food Bank’s summer break box program, which was renamed “Caden’s Wish Break Boxes.”

Caden Custer announced today the second phase of his Make-A-Wish request to give hunger relief to struggling children & families.

During the presser, Custer was surprised by the Boeheim family, who announced a $10,000 matching grant on behalf of the Jim & Juli Boeheim Foundation
— Mike Curtis (@MikeACurtis2) June 23, 2020
“It was more than I could ever ask for,” said Custer, 18, who didn’t want to use the wish for himself even though he has cystic fibrosis.

The Boeheim Foundation recently gave $50,000 to Mercy Works, an organization that is feeding Syracuse city schoolchildren during the Covid-19 crisis.