Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
View attachment 187137
Welcome to American Chess Day!

A game of strategy and skill, chess is played the world over by young and old alike. To play, two opponents face off across a checkers-style board, and take turns using their pieces of kings, queens, rooks, knights, bishops, and pawns to move along the 64-square board. Game times vary — great players can knock out their opponents very quickly or can spend hours strategizing their every move. To win, a player must use his pieces to capture those of the other player, with the ultimate goal of taking over the other player’s king. Checkmate! Often called “The Game of Kings,” you can play chess the good old-fashioned way with another player in person, or on the computer with opponents from all over the world.

SU News

Axe: John Thompson will forever be Syracuse basketball’s heel (PS; $; Axe)

On February 13, 1980, Georgetown head coach John Thompson Jr. said the six words that formed the greatest rivalry Syracuse basketball will ever be apart of.

“Manley Field House is officially closed.”

The whole thing sounds like it was orchestrated by Vince McMahon when you look back on it now.

“OK everyone, listen up. Here’s the deal. We’re in the first year of this Big East Conference thing and we need a spark to really get it going. Syracuse is on a 57-game winning streak at home and is playing its last game in historic Manley Field House before moving to the Carrier Dome next season. Georgetown is going to come in there and beat Syracuse, ending the streak. I’ve told Hoyas coach John Thompson to really twist the knife in Syracuse’s back and say something after the game people will remember. I have a feeling this could carry over for years if he says something really evil. If we play our cards right, this could be big for years!”

A melancholy goodbye to Syracuse basketball rival John Thompson - The Juice Online (the juice; Staff)

Former Georgetown coach John Thompson passed away on Sunday at his home in Arlington, Virginia, multiple news outlets reported. He was 78.

Thompson played at Providence College and appeared in two NBA seasons. He took over as coach of the Hoyas in the 1972 season, and transformed the program into a national power, winning the 1984 NCAA Championship. He would coach Georgetown until 1999, finishing with a record of 596–239 (.714).

Thompson was the first black head coach to win a major collegiate championship, and coached a variety of future NBA stars, including Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo and Allen Iverson. He was part of the development of the Big East into one of college basketball’s elite conferences, developing numerous rivalries along the way, including with Syracuse.

He is famed for stating that “Manley Field house is officially closed” after snapping Syracuse’s 57-game winning streak in the final game played at that arena. Following the news of his passing, numerous tributes poured in, including from Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim.

A Syracuse tribute to Georgetown coach John Thompson - The Juice Online (the juice; Salamone)

I was a sophomore in high school when I attended my first Syracuse University basketball game. It was Feb. 13, 1980.

It was a school night… a Wednesday to be exact (the same night Eight Is Enough was on) and I remember my parents telling me that as long as I got my homework done, I could go with my brother and friends.

The Big East conference was in its inaugural season, and Syracuse was playing its last game ever in historic Manley Field House against the Georgetown Hoyas. The Orange, ranked No. 2 in the country at the time, was riding a 57-game home winning streak.

Syracuse led most of the game, but the Hoyas rallied back. One will never forget a guy by the name of Sleepy Floyd sinking two free throws with five seconds remaining to secure the 52-50. With time expired, legendary basketball coach John Thompson declared, “Manley Field House officially closed.”

Thompson, who was the head coach of Georgetown from 1972-99, died on Monday at the age of 78. He led the Hoyas to the 1984 national championship, and built the program into a perennial powerhouse. During the 1980s, the Hoyas advanced to three Final Fours and won seven conference titles. In 1988, Thompson coached the United States National team to a bronze medal in the Olympics.

Help Lebanon with Rony Seikaly, organized by Rony Seikaly (theathletic.com; $; Gutierrez)

Former NBA and Syracuse basketball player Rony Seikaly donated $100,000 to relief efforts at Lebanon. The fund he started is now up to more than half of its $1 million goal.

Syracuse basketball could land in non-conference bubble at Mohegan Sun (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball may find itself among a bunch of powerful teams playing within a non-conference bubble in Connecticut.

As the NCAA prepares to reveal the official start of the 2020-21 season in mid-September, media reports are emerging that Syracuse basketball could wind up in a non-conference bubble with numerous of the sport’s heavyweights in either November or December.

CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein and Adam Zagoria, writing on forbes.com, are among those sending out tweets or publishing articles that speak to the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., as a potential destination for a non-conference bubble to host several pre-season tournaments, including the Gotham Classic, where the Orange is slated to face LSU out of the Southeastern Conference.

The original start date for the 2020-21 college basketball stanza is Nov. 10, however, Rothstein, Zagoria and others have indicated that Nov. 25 or Dec. 4 may become potential new kick-off dates for the upcoming term.

As Rothstein says in a tweet, a non-conference bubble at the Mohegan Sun Arena could feature, besides the ‘Cuse and LSU, a range of squads, such as Villanova, Baylor, Michigan, UConn, West Virginia, Florida, Purdue, N.C. State, Notre Dame and Georgia Tech.

Empire: Nova, Baylor, Michigan, NC St
Gotham: LSU, Cuse
Legends: UConn, ND, USC, Vandy
HOF Tipoff: Minnesota, Marquette, URI, UCF
HOF Invitational: Purdue, WVU, PSU, Florida, GT, Stanford (BC)
Could be a key event in the "Golden Window".

Other

Significant changes to the new athletic stadium at Fowler High School have appeared over the past few weeks. Video courtesy of Quindell Williams.