Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
https://media.daysoftheyear.com/cdn-cgi/image/fit=cover,=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1000,height=560/20171223123710/skyscraper-day2.jpg
Welcome to National Skyscraper Day!

Ingenious feats of engineering and architectural dexterity are on display in tall, multistoried buildings called skyscrapers, which we celebrate today. A confluence of factors led to the literal rise of these structures. For one, with increased urban commerce, as well as an increase in population density in urban areas, there was a need for them. Originally they were used for commercial purposes, but they are now often used as residential dwellings as well.

Another factor leading to their proliferation was the invention of the passenger elevator. The first one was installed in the Haughwout Department Store in New York City in 1857, and the first tall office building with one was the Equitable Life Building in New York City in 1870. A third factor, which ultimately made it possible for skyscrapers to be built, was the invention of the Bessemer process in the 1860s. This process paved the way for the mass production of steel, an alloy that is stronger and lighter than iron; steel was used to construct buildings and allowed them to be much taller.

SU News

4BUI5HYODRAOTAVSMFKR63G2PQ.JPG

Who is the best athlete to play basketball for Syracuse? (Mike’s Mailbox) (PS; $; Waters)

Mike’s Mailbox has become one of the most fun things that I do here at Syracuse.com and the Post-Standard.

Questions range from the What If variety to the very specific. Sometimes I get a history question, which is cool because I minored in history.

The point is the questions are always interesting no matter what kind they are. And this week’s Mailbox is the ultimate variety pack.

Q: Since you have covered the Orange, which SU basketball player would you say is the best athlete inch-for-inch and pound-for-pound?

Bill N.

Mike: What a great question. The kind of question that really requires some thought and creates some fun discussion.

I started covering Syracuse basketball in the 1988-89 season, so I’ll limit my answer to players in that time period. If not for caveat, the fact that Jim Brown played basketball for Syracuse would render moot any further discussion.

I do have to give a nod to past players like Dave Bing, Chris “Rocket Man’' Sease, Roosevelt Bouie, Tony Bruin and Rony Seikaly who were all amazing athletes.

Dior Johnson unsure of reclassify, things ‘great’ with Syracuse basketball (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2022 commit Dior Johnson has positive sentiments to share about the ‘Cuse staff.

Dior Johnson, a Syracuse basketball commit and the No. 3 player nationally in the 2022 class according to 247Sports, says regarding the possibility of him reclassifying into the 2021 recruiting cycle, “I’m not sure on that at this time.”

That’s according to a blog post which he published on Sept. 1 via Sports Illustrated’s Web site. Johnson is a 6-foot-3 point guard and the highest-rated recruit for the Orange dating back to ‘Cuse legend Carmelo Anthony.

Johnson, who pledged to Syracuse basketball this past February, says of the potential 2021 reclassify, “I know everyone is talking about me potentially reclassifying and things like that, but I’m not sure on that at this time. I think people will just have to find that out on the fly.”

From my point of view, it’s a win-win whether Johnson shifts classes or not. If he stays in 2022, then the Orange could end up with an unbelievably stellar recruiting cycle. Should Johnson move to 2021, he would join four-star small forward Benny Williams in that class.

On the topic of his relationship with the ‘Cuse, Johnson writes, “Everything is great with me and the staff at Syracuse; unfortunately, I can’t get down there to visit with everything going on, but things are good.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...c8fcca-ed32-11ea-bd08-1b10132b458f_story.html (AP)

Chaz Owens, the son of former Syracuse All-American Billy Owens, has joined the Orange, men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim announced Wednesday.

Chaz Owens spent the past year at Scotland Campus, a prep school in south-central Pennsylvania, in a postgraduate program after playing high school ball for four seasons in the state. As a senior at The Shipley School in the Philadelphia suburbs, the 6-foot-5 Owens averaged 11.4 points and 8.2 rebounds.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim calls Ivy League 'silly' for eligibility policy during COVID-19 (ithacajournal.com; Hall)

Syracuse men's basketball head coach Jim Boeheim has a son, Jimmy Boeheim, that's a senior on the Cornell men's basketball team.

Coach Boeheim appeared on Tuesday's podcast episode of "Courtside with Greenberg and Dakich," which features ESPN broadcasters Seth Greenberg and Dan Dakich. Boeheim expressed discontent with the way the Ivy League and Cornell have handled eligibility for players during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"It's silly," Boeheim said. "I think the Ivy League doesn't realize, they act like sports doesn't matter to their students. I think they misread that. I think the athletes in the Ivy League work just as hard as our guys do and love it just as much. They want to be able to play, and if they're not allowed to play, they at least want the extra year of eligibility. So I don't know, it's a puzzle to me sometimes how really smart people can not understand some things."

The Ivy League announced July 8 that there would be no competition for the fall semester, which likely means for Ivy League winter sports like basketball a limited season in 2020-21.

Nov 10, 2017; Syracuse, NY, USA; Syracuse Orange head coach Jim Boeheim greets his son Cornell Big Red forward Jimmy Boeheim (3) following the game at the Carrier Dome. Mandatory Credit: Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

The traditional policy for the Ivy League is that athletes are not eligible to redshirt.

So someone in a situation like Boeheim's son Jimmy, he would not be able to play basketball at Cornell beyond the 2020-21 season. Coach Boeheim described how it puts players like his son in a situation that they might sit out the 2020-21 season and transfer to another school outside the Ivy League to complete their NCAA eligibility.

Audio Vault (espnsyracuse.com; radio; Axe)

Today Brent talks Chaz Owens joining Syracuse Basketball. Then breaks down the SU Football season with Syracuse.com Nate Mink.

(megaphone.fm; podcast; Lindsley)

Mike Lindsley's Lifetime Syracuse Basketball Teams...
ML goes from PG-C and gives you his lifetime Syracuse men's basketball team by position.
21 min

Other

HATP+WEB+HEADER.png

Lights on the Lake, Fright Night creators to bring new Halloween drive-thru event (PS; $; Hernandez)

It’s about to get spooky in Central New York. The creators of Lights on the Lake, Fright Nights, and Lights on Jacob Lane have just announced a new drive-thru Halloween experience at Jamesville Beach Park.

Dunkin’ Halloween at the Park will happen every night from Oct. 1 through 31 from 7-10 p.m. Price will be $10 per vehicle from Sunday to Thursday, and $15 per vehicle on Fridays and Saturdays. Tickets will be limited presale only and will be sold per day you wish to go. You can purchase tickets now at halloweenatthepark.com.

Cars will follow a lighted path to view festive Halloween-themed displays from your vehicle. Throughout the mile long trail you will find ghosts, ghouls, witches, warlocks, and more. Each section will include large wooden structures, LED light displays, and actors for a total spooky experience.

Halloween trick-or-treat bags filled with candy, toys, stickers, and more are available to add on to ticket purchase for $5 a piece. Children are encouraged to come in costume to enjoy the event.