Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
green-monday.png

Welcome to Green Monday!

Green Monday is an online shopping day similar to Cyber Monday, and it occurs on the last Monday when there are at least ten days prior to Christmas, which usually happens to be the second Monday in December. Online shoppers have historically wanted ten days between when they order gifts and Christmas, to ensure the gifts arrive in time. The day is like an online version of Super Saturday, where shoppers realize there isn't much time left to look for items, and that they must buy. As many retailers now offer guaranteed two-day shipping, the importance of getting all online shopping done by Green Monday has lessened. eBay came up with the name for the day, which has been in use since at least 2007. They called it Green Monday because of the extra revenue that the day brought in, and because online shopping may be more environmentally friendly than shopping at brick-and-mortar stores. It has become the largest shopping day in December, and in 2016 there were $1.6 billion in sales.

SU News

2KZDZLKDXVEUBP4LSX5HN5TCWY.jpg

The backcourt is back: Buddy Boeheim’s return boosts Joe Girard in BC (PS; $; Waters)

For a player in a shooting slump, there’s nothing better than seeing the ball go in the basket.

For Joe Girard, seeing Buddy Boeheim put the ball in the basket was almost as good as seeing one of his own shots go through the net.

Boeheim connected on his first two 3-point attempts in Syracuse’s 101-63 blowout of Boston College on Saturday in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

Those buckets seemed to spark Girard, who in the game’s next five minutes, buried three 3-pointers.

Girard would finish the game with 17 points on 6-for-8 field goal shooting, including a 5-for-7 afternoon from 3-point range.

“It was good to have Buddy back,’' Girard said after the game.

Atoning for first loss, Syracuse basketball routs Boston College - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

Syracuse bounced back from their first loss of the season in style, breezing past Boston College for a 101-63 road win on Saturday afternoon. The Orange (3-1, 1-0 ACC) jumped on the hosts with an early run to take a double-digit lead in the opening seven minutes and never looked back, eventually using a 35-9 scoring advantage in just over 13 minutes of the second half to suffocate their opponent.

Every starter was in double figures as seven different players scored at least nine points for SU, who simply got whatever they wanted on offense against the Eagles (1-5, 0-1). Syracuse made just under 62 percent of their field goal attempts in the second half and 59 percent of their shots from the field overall, setting a program record by connecting on 16 three-pointers.

The Orange defense was pretty good, as well, holding BC to 35.4 percent shooting in the game, including under 26 percent on threes. SU also performed well inside, a reversal of their performance Tuesday night at Rutgers, owning the glass by a 40-29 margin and outscoring the Eagles in the paint, 38-24.

Syracuse Basketball: 7 players with excellent games vs. Boston College (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball spread the offensive production around well in rout of Boston College.

This is only one game against a solid, but not spectacular, opponent, so let’s not jump to an abundance of conclusions about Syracuse basketball following its destruction of Boston College on the road this past Saturday afternoon.

Even Orange head coach Jim Boeheim acknowledged that, despite the 101-63 blow-out of the Eagles to commence Atlantic Coast Conference play, it’s just one contest and a small sample size. Yet he was happy with how his team fared on both ends of the court.

Hopefully, ‘Cuse fans are also encouraged by this result. Heck, the squad nearly had seven players record double-digits in scoring, which is an exquisite showing.

Any success in league competition away from its own turf is a huge positive for Syracuse basketball. And if you throw out the way too many turnovers that the Orange committed versus Boston College, the ‘Cuse produced a terrific all-around performance.

Speaking of that, if you had to give out a game ball (or game balls) for this victory, you might need a half-dozen or more to fairly give credit where credit is due.

Men’s Basketball Final: Syracuse 101 - Boston College 63 (bcinterruption.com; Caliguri)

To be honest, I do not really think a recap is necessary for this performance. The score line speaks for itself and it would take simply decades to hash out everything that the Eagles did wrong in this matchup. To put it in a succinct summary here are a few bullet points:
  • They couldn’t penetrate Boeheim’s 2-3 zone. AT ALL. They were also ice cold from three all game and didn’t hit their first three in the second half until 4 minute mark by a walk-on... a walk-on!
  • BC did not play with ANY energy throughout this entire match. At no point when they were down did I see them play with any urgency like I have seen in games prior. Hard to get behind a team that does not feel like they want to be on the court.
  • Defense on all fronts was flat out abysmal. Transition defense was non-existence, the paint never was clogged up leaving to easy Syracuse layups, and they allowed Cuse to toy with them with some Steph Curry range threes.
I really do not want to belabor the obvious points in where BC lapsed given its becoming the same old song and dance at this point. I am writing this with about 2 minutes left in the game but I’m sure the numbers wont fluctuate too much so here’s where things currently stand with the team as the clock begins to expire: 16 turnovers, 31% FG shooting, 6-28 from three (21%), and, once again, an abysmal day at the charity strip shooting 54.5%... absolutely disgraceful.

Nonetheless, credit does have to be given to Boeheim’s squad as they clearly came ready to play and boy did they punch BC in the mouth. All 5 of Syracuse’s starters finished in double digits in scoring with Alan Griffin leading the Orange with a double-double (19 PTS | 10 REBs). They played to near-perfection on defense and capitalized on transition opportunities effectively. Overall, they made BC look like a high-school (dare I say, middle school) basketball team in their first game of conference play.

Buddy Boeheim Watched The Office, Basketball on Quarantine (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball was without starting shooting guard Buddy Boeheim for three games after he was forced to quarantine due to close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19. Syracuse went 2-1 in that time, losing at 21st ranked Rutgers.

Buddy returned on Saturday when the Orange opened ACC play at Boston College. He scored 17 points including three made three pointers and provided a spark on both ends of the floor. With Buddy back, Syracuse looked like a much more complete team as they dominated the Eagles 101-63.

With Buddy in quarantine, he could not practice or be around his teammates in any capacity. So what exactly did he do during that time? He answered that question in the postgame press conference on Saturday.

"I was just trying to kill time as much as I could," Boeheim said. "I was working out for three to four hours a day just going in the gym when I was bored doing little stuff. I watched a lot of movies. Watched a lot of The Office. Tried to get my schoolwork done. I had a couple of projects and some finals so I got that done.

Syracuse Freshmen Show Maturity, Poise Beyond Their Years (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse freshmen Woody Newton and Kadary Richmond have been really good so far this season. Richmond was expected to have a significant role, while many believed Newton would struggle to see consistent minutes. Both are proving that they are mature beyond their freshmen titles.

Richmond received considerable buzz during the fall about how well he was playing during practice. Richmond was going to be the third guard for Syracuse and provide relief for both Buddy Boeheim and Joe Girard. Little did he knew that just two games into his collegiate career, he would be thrust into the starting lineup. All Richmond did was respond with a poise and calm that is uncommon among true freshmen.

In his first start, Richmond scored 16 points, grabbed seven rebounds, dished out six assists and snagged four steals. In fact, in each of the four games in which he has logged double figures in minutes played, Richmond has had at least three steals. In three starts, Richmond averaged more than six assists per game. Richmond has lived up to the hype and then some five games into his collegiate career.

"I thought Kadary was the difference in the game," Boeheim said after Syracuse's win over Niagara. "He blocked some shots. He used this game to really help himself. He had seven rebounds and four steals, three blocks. I thought this was a really good experience for him."

Syracuse basketball with great shot at top-10 Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball only recently offered elite 2022 power forward Brandon Huntley-Hatfield.

Syracuse basketball may have seen 2022 five-star point guard Dior Johnson move on, but the Orange is still well-positioned to thrive in this cycle, with the team now heavily in the mix for top-10 player Brandon Huntley-Hatfield.

The 6-foot-9 Huntley-Hatfield, a power forward, received a scholarship offer from Syracuse basketball a mere few days ago, however, several recruiting analysts are saying that the Orange is in a strong position with the five-star prospect.

Previously, he had a top five of Auburn, Kansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Wake Forest, and media reports indicate that the ‘Cuse is now added to his group of finalists.

Since Huntley-Hatfield had already disclosed a top five, and the ‘Cuse is just offering him now, my sense is that Syracuse basketball coaches feel they have a legitimate chance at securing his services. Otherwise, why offer Huntley-Hatfield at this point?

One of Brandon's coaches, Sullivan Brown, says today Syracuse started "recruiting him hard in the last two weeks, and he’s really considering them. Cuse has a nice spot in his final six." He's #4 in his class per ESPN; hasn't ruled out a reclass to 2021. Good academic standing. https://t.co/jxisS95ERz
— Matthew Gutierrez (@MatthewGut21) December 11, 2020

Syracuse Basketball: Benny Williams will end up as five stars universally (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2021 commit Benny Williams is getting a lot of national accolades.

The way things are trending for Benny Williams, he will become one of the highest-rated recruits to suit up for Syracuse basketball in recent program history.

The 6-foot-8 Williams, a 2021 commit, is currently listed as either a small forward or a power forward, depending on the recruiting Web site that you peruse. Williams is a senior at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., which is one of the best prep-school teams in the country.

ESPN recently updated its national rankings for the 2021 recruiting cycle, and Williams checks in at four stars and No. 27 overall. If he continues to move up in the ESPN ratings, Williams could contend for five-star status, and he should.

We’ve noted that , earlier this year, placed Williams at No. 22 nationally in the 2021 class as well as a coveted five-star prospect. Over at the Prep Hoops recruiting service, Williams is presently No. 35 overall in his class.

In addition to ESPN, 247Sports recently updated its national rankings in 2021, and Williams is No. 37. The 247Sports Composite has him at No. 31. Williams is four stars from both 247Sports and the 247Sports Composite.

Furthermore, per this article, Williams is No. 52 overall and No. 11 at power forward in the SI99 for the 2021 cycle. Frankly, I think that he should be higher on this list.

Reports: Syracuse basketball to host Northeastern on Wednesday (247sports.com; Bailey)

Syracuse basketball will host Northeastern in a non-conference game on Wednesday, according to multiple reports. Northeastern sent an email to alumni announcing the game, according to Milton Posner of WRBB. Jeff Goodman of Stadium also reported the contest. No tipoff time has been reported.

The Orange (4-1, 1-0 ACC) is coming off a 101-63 win at Boston College on Saturday. The return of junior guard Buddy Boeheim sparked SU for its bounce-back performance. Alan Griffin led five double-digit scorers with 22 points on 6-of-9 shooting from beyond the arc. Sophomore guard Joe Girard rebounded from a rough night at No. 21 Rutgers on Tuesday by pitching in 14 points, making 5-of-7 three-pointers, to go with five boards and five assists.

"Buddy didn't make a shot in the last two days of practice," head coach Jim Boeheim said after the game. "I wasn't really not expecting him to make a shot today. And then he makes the first two and you could see the whole team lift up a little bit with that. Those were big shots for us."

5f24be9863909.image_-1024x683.jpg

Fizz Follower Mailbag: 12/13 – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Unsworth)

Syracuse split this week, dropping a tough road game at Rutgers 79-69 and then shellacking Boston College 101-63.

We’ll start from the RAC. It seemed like SU did everything they possibly could to lose this game from the outset. But the Orange hung around for just long enough to unsettle Rutgers in the second half, especially when the pace quickened as Alan Griffin and Quincy Guerrier took the game over. However, Rutgers locked Syracuse down in the final five minutes. The Orange only scored four points in crunch time, all on free throws.

Why no bench in 2nd half? Especially woody Newton
— Thomas Scuderi (@tscuderi27) December 9, 2020
Newton was the only non-starter to play in the second half, and just over a minute and 30 seconds of run. In that time, he missed one three pointer, which if I remember correctly was an end of shot-clock prayer. Griffin even snagged the offensive rebound, so it wasn’t even a negative result for SU. Woody subbed in for JG3, who was having his third terrible shooting day in four games. Girard’s shot selection was extremely questionable (that’s putting it kindly), and everybody knows he’s a minus on defense. It made sense to replace him with more length.

However, when Newton was in the game in the second half, Syracuse scored 0 points, and Alan Griffin turned the ball over then committed a foul. The offense was not in rhythm. Despite his bricklaying night, Girard is SU’s most confident ball-handler, and the one with the most experience running the offense. That’s why Boeheim brought him back in.

Unfortunately, the bench as a whole did not inspire much confidence. John Bol Ajak looked like a stick standing next to Myles Johnson of the Scarlet Knights. JBA is still getting used to college basketball. Robert Braswell shoots the ball every single time he touches it, at a 16% clip. Newton is the only guy that positively contributes, and does so with “vintage Syracuse” length and athleticism, and boundless energy. He loves to be on the floor, and it shows.

To wrap this up, against Rutgers, I don’t blame Boeheim for running with the starters. Newton deserved a bit more time on the floor, and does in general, but in a tight matchup, coaches always lean towards experience.

Do you see either of the seniors using the extra year at Cuse?
— Jason Grose (@jgrosebb) December 13, 2020
Absolutely

Other

QULTVKFYJJBT3CFIJZE5W2RRSI.JPG

Coastal storm to bring snow to Upstate NY: How much, where is still unknown (PS; $; Coin)

Forecasters are increasingly confident that a powerful winter storm will hit the Northeast Wednesday and Thursday, but the exact path of the storm is still uncertain and subject to change.

The seeds of that storm system are over Nevada now, but they’re expected to churn across the Southeast and then turn left at the East Coast mid-week. As that coastal storm heads north, a high pressure system of very cold air from Canada will push into Upstate New York, raising the odds that whatever precipitation comes our way will be in the form of snow.

But how much? The most recent forecasts from the National Weather Service show the storm path farther east than it appeared last week. That means the best chances for heavy snow, beginning late Wednesday, will be the Hudson Valley, eastern Southern Tier and Capital Region. The weather service is predicting about 10 inches of snow for Poughkeepsie, 6 for Binghamton, and 4 for Albany.

The weather service has issued a hazardous weather outlook for those areas.

“Uncertainty still exists, but there is increasing confidence for a widespread accumulating snow, possibly heavy and impacting travel,” the outlook says. “This may include high snowfall rates from late Wednesday through Wednesday night.”

Much less snow is predicted to the north and west. Syracuse is expected to get an inch or 2, while Western New York gets a dusting.