Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
shanghai-673087.jpg
Welcome to World Architecture Day!

World Architecture Day celebrates architecture and the commitment of architects to the world's societies, ecosystems, and cities. Created by the International Union of Architects (UIA), a "global federation of national associations of architects," it was first held in 1985 and originally took place on the first Monday in July. At the International Union of Architects Congress in Barcelona, Spain, in 1996, it was moved to the first Monday of October, to coincide with World Habitat Day. Some countries observe the day on other dates during the year. Each year the UIA comes up with a different theme that participants can tailor their events to. Common events include forums, symposia, panel discussions, conferences, and exhibitions.

Architecture consists of using engineering and art to design buildings and other structures. Houses, churches, hotels, office buildings, stadiums, roads, bridges, and tunnels are some of the structures it is used for. Various architecture styles can be found around the world. Ancient civilizations used architecture: Egyptians built large temples and the Great Pyramids of Giza, and the Greeks and Romans used laws and symmetry to create what became known as Classical architecture.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Projected starting rotation 2.0 for the 2022-23 season (itlh; Adler)

The calendar recently turned to October, which means that Syracuse basketball will tip off its 2022-23 regular season in about a month’s time.

Now I know that we’re all knee-deep in excitement over what Syracuse football and other Orange sports have done this fall, but I’m also really pumped for the upcoming hoops campaign.

The ‘Cuse seeks to rebound from a disappointing 16-17 stanza in 2021-22, and the present Syracuse basketball roster features an intriguing blend of veterans and underclassmen.

Personally, I feel like the Orange in 2022-23 will be much more athletic than a year ago. Head coach Jim Boeheim has said that he may employ man-to-man defense from time to time.

Even with a lot of young guys on the roster, I’m hopeful that Syracuse basketball will be better on the defensive end in 2022-23, although we’ll have to see how well the team fares shooting the rock from long distance.

We’ve got an updated projected starting rotation for Syracuse basketball this coming season.

Okay, so I don’t pretend to have any inside information as to what starting rotation Boeheim might utilize to commence 2022-23 in early November, but I have read a lot of prognostications from national pundits, experts who cover Syracuse basketball closely, fans and others.

Here’s what I’ve got as far as my projected starting rotation for the Orange in 2022-23, at least to start the season.

Point Guard, Judah Mintz
Boeheim said in at least one recent media report that 2022 four-star guard Judah Mintz will likely start at point guard. The 6-foot-3 Mintz, a term ago, was a stand-out for the powerhouse Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va.

In a recent tweet, CBS Sports college basketball insider Jon Rothstein noted that Mintz is poised to start at point guard. I’m really high on Mintz – he can score at all three levels on offense, and he gets a lot of praise from national recruiting analysts and scouts for his defensive prowess.

Well embedded moles in Upstate NY have relayed that Syracuse is committed to playing Joe Girard at SG this year with 6-4 freshman Judah Mintz at PG. Two other freshmen — Chris Bunch and Justin Taylor — will be in mix to start.
— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) September 19, 2022

Shooting Guard, Joe Girard III
Rothstein’s tweet said that the Orange coaching staff is “committed to playing Joe Girard at SG this year.” Boeheim has also said that he and his assistants are likely moving Girard over to shooting guard.

I’m all for this. By and large, Girard has primarily played point guard for the ‘Cuse, but I personally believe that his more natural position is at the No. 2 spot on the floor, not as a point guard.

As a shooting guard, I really feel like the 6-foot-1 Girard is going to shine as a senior.

Forward, Benny Williams
Which two Syracuse basketball players end up starting at the forward positions is interesting to me, and probably the biggest “unknowns” at this point.

It’s natural to assume that Benny Williams, a sophomore, would get a starting nod at forward, after fellow forwards Cole Swider, a senior, and Jimmy Boeheim, a graduate student, departed the Hill following the 2021-22 season.

The 6-foot-8 Williams didn’t play a lot as a highly touted freshman, but Jim Boeheim said earlier this year that he expects big things out of Williams in his sophomore stint in Central New York.

Here’s the thing, though. Rothstein’s recent tweet said that freshmen forwards Chris Bunch and Justin Taylor, both 2022 four-star players, “will be in (the) mix to start.”

I’m not sure exactly how to read this. Will the 6-foot-7 Bunch and the 6-foot-6 Taylor be competing for one of the forward spots, or could both of them be in line to potentially start, with Williams possibly coming off of the bench?

Taylor is a shooting guard/small forward, so he could certainly play some at the guard position for the ‘Cuse as well. I still think that Williams will start, with either Taylor or Bunch at the other starting forward spot.

Forward, Justin Taylor

202210022039TMS_____MNGTRPUB_SPORTS-RAVENS-COACH-JOHN-HARBAUGH-DEFENDS-LATE-50-BZ5.jpg

Syracuse Basketball: Son of Carmelo Anthony bolts into national rankings (itlh; Adler)

Kiyan Anthony, the son of Syracuse basketball legend Carmelo Anthony, is a top-65 national prospect in his class, according to a new set of rankings.

Various recruiting services, lately, have been publishing their inaugural national rankings for the 2025 cycle. One of the primary recruiting Web sites, 247Sports, recently put out its first list of 2025 national ratings, and Kiyan Anthony has made a strong debut.

The 6-foot-3 shooting guard checks in as four stars, No. 62 across the country, No. 13 at his position and No. 3 in the state of New York.

Obviously, it remains to be seen whether Syracuse basketball coaches might end up offering Anthony, and whether he might have interest in suiting up for the same school where his dad won a national championship in 2003.

The son of former Syracuse basketball star Carmelo Anthony is a four-star player.

Kiyan Anthony is a sophomore at the famed Christ the King Regional High School in Middle Village, N.Y. In the most recent AAU circuit, he ran with the Baltimore-based Team Melo in Nike’s EYBL league.

Christ the King, according to some high-school hoops experts, is expected to contend for a top-25 national ranking during the 2022-23 campaign.

Another member of the Royals’ roster is 2024 four-star wing Dwayne Pierce. The 6-foot-5 shooting guard/small forward, a top-100 prospect in the junior class, is reportedly receiving interest from the Orange coaching staff.

In grassroots basketball, Pierce competes for the New York City-based NY Renaissance in Nike’s EYBL league.

1664797480039.jpeg

Syracuse basketball doles out another offer to talented 4-star from Philly (itlh; Adler)

Not too long ago, we noted that Syracuse basketball coaches were reportedly showing interest in fast-rising 2024 guard Jalil Bethea from the Philadelphia metropolitan area, according to recruiting services.

That interest has turned into a scholarship offer by the Orange coaching staff to the four-star Bethea, the 6-foot-4 guard in the junior class recently disclosed via Twitter.

Bethea, a top-100 national prospect in his cycle, attends Archbishop Wood Catholic High School in Warminster, Pa. In grassroots basketball, he runs with the Philadelphia-based Team Final in Nike’s EYBL league.

Blessed to receive an offer from Syracuse Univeristy!!! pic.twitter.com/9C1k4RcufR
— Jalil Bethea (@JalilBethea2) September 29, 2022

When the EYBL held its season-ending Peach Jam tournament in North Augusta, S.C., this past July, Bethea was lauded by numerous national recruiting analysts and scouts for his performances for Team Final.

Syracuse basketball faces stiff competition for 2024 four-star guard Jalil Bethea.

According to recruiting Web sites, Bethea’s offer sheet is approaching 20 high-major programs, and he continues to pile up offers from an impressive range of suitors.

Besides the ‘Cuse, his offers include Villanova, UCLA, Seton Hall, Miami, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, VCU, Mississippi State, Fairfield, Bryant, Saint Joseph’s, Jacksonville, Albany, Temple, Mount St. Mary’s, Radford and Robert Morris.

Experts say that Bethea is proficient with his perimeter jumper. He has a high basketball IQ, handles the rock well, focuses on facilitating for his teammates, is a solid defender, and also possesses a keen sense to make plays and create scoring opportunities for himself, analysts and scouts say.

Other

ERHLCUSO4BFRPL2O3QDBEIOIUA.jpg

This YouTube video still shows Eric Jones, an artist from West Clarksville, N.Y., with one of his 3D pumpkin carving creations.

2 Upstate NY pumpkin-carvers show off ‘Outrageous’ skills on Food Network TV show (PS; Herbert)

Two men from Upstate New York are scary good at carving pumpkins.

Adam Bierton, who owns the Chick’n Out restaurant in Rochester, will appear on the reality TV competition “Outrageous Pumpkins,” which returns for its third season this weekend. Bierton will be one of seven contestants tasked with creating massive jack-o’-lanterns that tell a ghost story, as well as four nesting jack-o’-lanterns that are just as enchanting on their own as they are when they come together.

Joining Bierton is Eric Jones, an artist from the Allegany County hamlet of West Clarksville, who also does caricature art and sculpts sand and snow into jaw-dropping designs when it’s not Halloween season. Jones offers 3D pumpkin-carving demos and classes throughout the region, including showing Buffalo Bills fans how to make their own Josh Allen jack-o’-lantern (or “Josh-o-lantern”).

Bierton told the Democrat & Chronicle that he had a lot of fun doing the show — “I’m very competitive and I love pumpkins” — but especially hammed it up for the cameras after learning what directors look for on other television shows. In 2015, he was part of a “Scream Team” that won $50,000 on the Food Network’s “Halloween Wars” and returned to the network in 2017 for “Halloween Wars: Hayride of Horror.”

“I just acted like a silly fool,” he told the D&C of his experience on “Outrageous Pumpkins.”

Bierton is listed on the show as being from Brooklyn, but according to the Rochester newspaper, he still runs his restaurant in the Flower City, where he grew up and first started carving pumpkins. He majored in visual arts at the School of the Arts and has a second career carving pumpkins at The New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx each year.