Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to American Beer Day!

American Beer Day is a day dedicated to drinking brews made in America. Over 200 million barrels of American beer are sold each year, and Americans spend over $100 million on beer annually. The United States is only second to China in the number of breweries it has and the amount of beer it produces. Beer consumption in America has ebbed and flowed, but as of the late 2010s, beer has been flowing more than ever.

Beer making can be traced to about 6,000 years ago in ancient Sumeria. At that time, beer was cloudy because of the lack of filtering, and it was drunk through a straw. By 2000 BCE, the Babylonians were brewing twenty types of beer. The Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans made beer, although wine became much more popular with the Romans—they considered beer to be the drink of the Barbarians and it was only popular on the edges of the Empire. Germanic groups were brewing beer by 800 BCE.

SU News

4F7TVPZ6XRCXRFHVZ6H2OHDHBE.jpg

Syracuse Orange forward Benny Williams (13), Syracuse Orange guard Joseph Girard III (11), Syracuse Orange guard Quadir Copeland (24) and Syracuse Orange guard Judah Mintz (3). The Syracuse basketball team takes on Indiana (Pa.) in an exhibition game played at the JMA Wireless Dome Oct. 25, 2022. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

How many players will Boeheim use regularly this season? (Mike’s Mailbox) (PS; $; Waters)

It only took one exhibition game to get the questions flooding into Mike’s Mailbox.

I received several emails immediately following Syracuse’s 86-68 win over Indiana (Pa.) on Tuesday night. I couldn’t get to all of them right away, but I did pick out one that several readers asked.

So that’s where we start this week.

If you have any college basketball-related questions, please email to mwaters@syracuse.com.

Q: With so many players available, ultimately how many players do you foresee Jim Boeheim playing on a regular basis this season?

Ray

Mike:
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim answered this question himself after Tuesday’s exhibition game.

Boeheim played all 12 of his scholarship players in the first half of Tuesday’s exhibition game against Indiana (Pa.). Do not expect to see anything close to that in the regular season.

After using as many as 10 different lineup combinations in the first half against IUP, Boeheim settled on a lineup of Judah Mintz, Joe Girard, Quadir Copeland, Benny Williams and Jesse Edwards for an extended period of time. That unit went on a 14-0 run that turned a seven-point deficit into an 86-68 win.

Now, that might not be the same five we see every night. Copeland came in off the bench. Chris Bell was struggling with his shot, going 1-for-9. Boeheim praised Bell’s shooting and said he could go for 6-for-9 on another night.

I could also see Justin Taylor and Maliq Brown getting significant minutes, but on most nights, you’re going to see six or seven players get the bulk of the minutes – as Boeheim explained after Tuesday’s game.

Copeland infused SU with energy, playmaking in Orange exhibition win (PS; $; Ditota)

Quadir Copeland’s path to becoming the most talkative, most vocal player on the Syracuse basketball roster this season is complicated by the presence of John Bol Ajak, who has already established himself as the team’s resident chatterbox.

But Copeland is just a freshman. Give him time. And on Tuesday night in the JMA Wireless Dome, his actions spoke just as loudly as his words.

Copeland, who likes to describe himself as a natural born point guard, played primarily at small forward. And in his 16 minutes and 30 seconds of game action, he infused his team with an energy and a vitality it lacked throughout much of Tuesday’s 86-68 win over Division II Indiana (Pa.) University.

“I thought Quadir at the 3 gives us another guy that makes plays,” SU coach Jim Boeheim said. “He makes some passes and he does some creative things out there.”

Syracuse recruited Copeland out of IMG Academy, where he played with Justin Taylor last season. Copeland is a Philadelphia native whose big personality might remind Syracuse fans of another Philly point guard, Scoop Jardine.

Copeland is a tall and lanky 6-foot-6. With all the point guards on the Orange roster, Boeheim said he’s experimented with Copeland at the 3 during practices. He likes the idea, he said, of having three potential playmakers on the floor at one time.

“It’s different but I like it,” Copeland said. “I still get to do the same role, it’s just the ball is in my hands a little bit less. I’m actually OK with that because it gives me a chance to find my spots easier. We had two great point guards in Judah (Mintz) and Symir Torrence. I’m OK with moving to the 3. I’m just OK with anything, with doing as much as I can to help this team.”

benny.jpg

Syracuse’s Season Will Be Defined By Who Steps Up Each Night – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Frank)

The next-man-up mentality is one often taken by teams who suffer injuries or lose players for various reasons during the season. But, after just one exhibition game, it is clear to see that Syracuse’s group is one that will not have a definitive alpha (maybe Joe Girard III will become one), but right now, despite senior leadership, success this season will come from which other rotation players step up on a nightly basis.

Luckily for Jim Boeheim, he has a plethora of options to go to if things aren’t working out originally. Last night in SU’s 86-68 exhibition win over Indian University (PA), the 47th-year head coach started Girard, Judah Mintz, Chris Bell, Benny Williams, and Jesse Edwards. Throughout the first half, Boeheim rotated in all 12 of his potential rotation players, and that did not work as the Crimson Hawks went into the locker room with a halftime lead.

So, in the second half, as any good coach does, Boeheim kept pushing different buttons to find what was working. Symir Torrence did not do much in the backup guard role, only playing ten minutes. Justin Taylor played 18 minutes and scored seven points, but did not make that much of an impact on the game. The big guys, Mounir Hima, Peter Carey, John Bol Ajak, and Maliq Brown all played less than 10 minutes and did not have a large impact on the game. Even Bell, who started, played just 13 minutes and did not have a great Dome debut shooting 1-9 from the field and 1-6 from three.

Syracuse basketball’s freshman class shines in 86-68 exhibition win over Indiana PA (thenewhouse.com; Brown)

Tuesday night’s exhibition matchup against Indiana PA was an early glimpse at what might just be a very special season for the Orange.

After going down 33-32 at the end of the first half, Syracuse regrouped and came back to win the game 86-68. The win was the result of a great team performance, but what really stood out was the play of Syracuse’s freshmen. The recruits proved why they were ranked eighth in the nation and second in the ACC by , with stellar performances by Judah Mintz, Quadir Copeland and Justin Taylor.

“The young guys stepped up pretty good,” Syracuse Head Coach Jim Boeheim said. “They did well tonight.”

"ONCE WE WENT TO THE SWEET 16 MY SOPHOMORE YEAR, I’VE BEEN ITCHING TO GET BACK EVER SINCE."

SYRACUSE GUARD JOSEPH GIRARD III

After the opening tip off was won by Syracuse, Mintz attempted to get the scoring started with a tough layup through traffic. The missed shot was snatched up by Orange center Jesse Edwards, who sent the ball into the basket for the first points of the game.

The Dutch senior had an exceptional night, finishing with 16 points and seven rebounds. His 6’11” frame was a problem for the Crimson Hawks all game, and it will certainly continue to pose a challenge for other defenses during the regular season.
Just a few moments after Edwards’ shot, senior guard Joseph Girard III knocked down a three to add on to Syracuse’s early lead. Girard looked like his old sharpshooting self throughout the game, racking up 17 points and three shots from beyond the arc in the night.

“I just want to win. That’s my main goal,” Girard said. “Once we went to the Sweet 16 my sophomore year, I’ve been itching to get back ever since. Hopefully everything will fall into place.”

The Orange freshmen followed the veterans and decided to get in on the action. Seven minutes into the half, Taylor buried a three-pointer, tallying his first points of the night. Soon after, Taylor flashed his defensive skills as he swatted Ethan Porterfield’s layup out of play.

Highlights from the exhibition opener pic.twitter.com/bPGpCGB947
— Syracuse Men’s Basketball (@Cuse_MBB) October 26, 2022

College basketball: Williams, Mintz lift Syracuse to opening exhibition win (yahoo.com; St. Croix)

Benny Williams and Judah Mintz heated up after halftime to help the Syracuse University men's basketball team survive a scare in its exhibition opener Tuesday night in the JMA Wireless Dome.

Senior shooting guard Joseph Girard III scored 17 points to lead four players in double figures as SU beat Division II University of Pennsylvania-Indiana, 86-68, pulling away late to overcome a sloppy start and a halftime deficit.

The Orange emptied its bench early, mixed in a few spurts of man-to-man defense, and ultimately held on to win its 24th straight exhibition and avoid its first preseason loss since 2009.

"They're a really-well coached team, a physical, tough team, played good defense, and I think they gave us a lot that we can learn from," said Jim Boeheim, entering his 47th season as SU head coach.

"I thought that our man-to-man was actually pretty good for a while, it was our offense that wasn't good in the first half," he added. "I just thought we didn't have any stability."

Benny Williams produced a 7-0 solo run to push SU back in front with 10 minutes and 35 seconds left, and the Orange held on from there.

Syracuse men’s basketball: Joe Girard Named to Jerry West Award Watch List (TNIAAM; Chiappone)

The Syracuse Orange men’s basketball team attained their first preseason awards nod.

Joe Girard III is one of 20 NCAA Division I players named to the 2022-2023 Jerry West Award Watch List. Girard is one of five players from the ACC to be named to the watch list, alongside Tyrese Proctor (Duke), Isaiah Wong (Miami, FL), Terquavion Smith (NC State), and Dane Goodwin (Notre Dame),

The West Award honors the top shooting guard in Division I college basketball. The West Award Watch List was selected by a committee of top college basketball personnel, according to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

“Each of the student-athletes nominated for this honor has emulated Jerry West’s skillset on the court and should be extremely proud of this accomplishment,” said John L. Doleva, President and CEO of the Basketball Hall of Fame. “Our committee, alongside Mr. West, are honored to watch this exceptional group this season.”

Girard enters this season after a strong campaign in 2021-2022. Last season, JGIII finished first on the team in assists, steals, and three-point percentage, while ending as the third-best scorer for the Orange. Among the rest of the ACC, he finished top-10 in the conference in assists, steals, and three-point percentage.

Keeping Up With The 315 10-26 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins explains why Benny Williams must lead Syracuse in one key stat. Also on the show, spin the Wheel of Boeheim and Syracuse safety Justin Barron runs the Two-Minute Drill.

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 10-26 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Steve Infanti and Paulie Scibilia hear from Jim Boeheim and give their thoughts on the basketball team through one exhibition game. Later, they play “Who Are You?” and Paulie remembers how infuriating basketball season is.

Matt Roe "Orange Nation" 10-26 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Former SU basketball player Matt Roe was on the call for last night’s exhibition game, and he joins Orange Nation to share his thoughts on the team after their first game action.

EBCMT2DAD5CQPCKQALJUJW2I3Y.jpg

Jalil Bethea Will Officially Visit Syracuse This Weekend (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 shooting guard Jalil Bethea, widely regarded as a top 100 prospects with several high major suitors to date, will take an official visit to Syracuse this coming weekend, a source confirms to AllSyracuse.com. The news was first reported by Rivals.

The 6-4 guard has already taken an official visit to Temple along with unofficials to UCLA and Rutgers. In addition to those schools, Bethea also holds offers from Miami, Mississippi State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall, St. John's, VCU and Villanova. Schools such as Auburn, Kansas and Virginia are also recruiting him though they have not offered yet.

Syracuse extended its offer in late September and, less than one month later, has secured an official visit. The Orange does not have a commitment in the 2023 or 2024 classes yet, but would love to start with a player as talented as Bethea. A long, athletic guard, he fits the mold of the type of player that has performed at a high level with the Orange in the past.

Two weekends ago, Syracuse hosted class of 2024 targets for official visits in Damarius Owens and Elijah Moore. Class of 2023 target Mike Williams is set to announce his decision on November 6th.

Other

2NHZ2DC2XVARZEN6I73NIRK2IY.jpg

The mixed grill includes three kebabs: (from top) tekka chicken, tekka lamb and ground beef. Dinner from Sumera Restaurant, Syracuse, NY (Jared Paventi | jaredpaventi@gmail.com)Jared Paventi | jaredpaventi@gma

Starters and street food at Sumera Restaurant in Syracuse (Dining In Review) (PS; $; Paventi)

Sure, you can get shawarma — an Arabic specialty of grilled, spiced meat — on pita at Sumera Restaurant in Westvale, but you can also get it on saj, an unleavened flatbread baked on a metal griddle. Thinner than a pita, you might expect it to take on a crispy exterior from toasting, yet the saj was pliable and when stuffed with an abundance of chicken shawarma and a housemade pickled cucumber, and pressed on a grill.

There was no cheese to bind things together in the Arabic chicken shawarma sandwich made with saj ($10.99); the heat of the grill sealed the saj to create a tightly rolled result. Inside was a generously spiced portion of grilled chicken, packed with flavors of cumin and grill smoke. It was served with a soggy batch of French fries that didn’t fare well on the 15-minute drive from the restaurant to my Onondaga Hill home.

A perfect Friday evening meal in our house is a tableful of mazza, or appetizers from one of the area’s middle eastern or Mediterranean restaurants. After a busy week of working, shuttling children to and from activities, and cooking dinner for four people, spreading out containers of dips, snacks and pita offers a much more relaxed approach to the evening meal.