Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
mardi-gras-7-fcf6c052aba849f58b93ddb58d08388d.jpg
Welcome to Mardi Gras!

In French, Mardi means Tuesday, and gras means fat, so it makes sense that Mardi Gras is often called Fat Tuesday. It is also called Carnival or Carnaval—a name that is also used to refer to the whole period between Epiphany and Ash Wednesday—as well as various other names in different countries. It takes place on the day before Ash Wednesday—when Lent begins—although, in many places where it is widely celebrated, it is a week-long festival. Mardi Gras is held all around the world, particularly in cities with large Roman Catholic populations. Its epicenter is New Orleans, where most non-essential businesses are shut down and locals and pilgrims come together for parades, music, food, and drink. Revelers wear costumes, dress in purple, gold, and green, and wear beads they catch at parades. Large Mardi Gras festivals are also held in Brazil and Venice, and celebrations of the holiday commonly take place in Mississippi, Alabama, Canada, Germany, and Denmark.

SU News

William Patterson is officially '#1000percentcommitted' to play for Syracuse University (cnycentral.com; Misiazek)

William Patterson has officially committed to play basketball at Syracuse University.

In an Instagram post Monday, Patterson posted a video montage of him in an Orange basketball uniform sporting the number one. The caption reads, "CUSE NATION WASSUP BABY #1000percentcommitted."

Patterson stands at seven feet two inches tall, garnering him the nickname of Big Will.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...what-syracuse-is-getting-in-william-patterson (SI; McAllister)

All Syracuse caught up with New Heights AAU Basketball Director Rahme Anderson to learn more about Syracuse basketball's latest commitment in 2023 center prospect William Patterson.

What is Syracuse getting in William Patterson?

Anderson: "He's a great rim runner, he's very athletic, he has a 7-6 wing span. I think him in the middle of the zone, learning the nuances of what coach expects of him, I think he could be a dual threat out there. His potential is very high."

Where have you seen improvement over the last couple of years?

Anderson: "His skill set, his fundamentals and his touch. He has a lot of untapped potential that people haven't seen as much as I've seen because I'm around him a lot. I train him a lot. I'm very impressed by his touch around the rim and the way he runs the floor."

What's the biggest key for him to get ready for the next level?

Anderson: "I think he has to run his own race and get started immediately. As soon as the first summer session opens up, he needs to be on campus eating and working and asking for more work. I think that's what he's accustomed to back home. He's excited to get somewhere where he can get the highest level of training. Right now, I think physically, he needs to catchup to the rest of the league. So I think that will take some time. With Will, you're getting a hard working kid that's definitely going to be that late bloomer that people slept on. I think there's an opportunity for him at Syracuse and he just has to go grab it. He loves the process. He loves going through recovery, workouts, individuals, campus life. He has to embrace the whole thing. I think he's going to be a fan favorite there."

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/william-patterson-commits-to-syracuse-basketball (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball has landed a commitment from 2023 big William Patterson. Patterson, originally from Brooklyn (NY), plays at The Patrick School in New Jersey. For AAU ball, he runs with New Heights. Patterson, listed at 7-2, 220 pounds, picked the Orange over offers from Oklahoma State, TCU and Rutgers, among others.

Patterson earned his offer in August after a strong Elite Camp performance, but had been in contact with the Syracuse coaches for months prior to that. His lead recruiter is Allen Griffin.

"It was after the last game," Patterson said after his offer. "We finished out pretty well even though we didn't win the last game. I had a couple dunks, blocks, steals, got to dribble up the court a little. The offer just came from relationships with the coaches. I was very surprised and very grateful. It just shows the amount of work I put in, so I was very grateful when he came over.

"The camp was very fun. It was well organized. Drills that were tough were very fun and challenging. It felt good to be pushed by the coaches. They were doing well. They knew what they were doing. The best part was the drills just because you get to see where you're at against other people. I liked the competition."

Keeping Up With The 315 2-20-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins starts the show pointing out one big problem with Syracuse’s “Big 3”. Then, he discusses Syracuse’s lone 2023 basketball recruit and finally Tim Leonard joins him on the “411” to talk Syracuse lacrosse and women’s basketball.

On The Block On Demand 2-20-23 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Brent Axe is back to tell you how Syracuse basketball can pull their fans back in. Plus, it was a big weekend for Syracuse women’s basketball as well as women’s lacrosse.

Newhouse At Night 2-20-23 (ESPN; radio; Newhouse at Night)

On tonight’s Newhouse at Night, Harry Kelly and Jackson Holzer open the show voicing their dissatisfaction with Syracuse’s performance against Duke. Then, Josh Crawford, Emily Shiroff, and Tyger Munn voice their concerns about Jesse Edwards’ play against more solid teams.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: MAILBAG: Syracuse Fan Disappointment, Boeheim Succession Plan + Cuse Lax Update on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

MAILBAG: Syracuse Fan Disappointment, Boeheim Succession Plan + Cuse Lax Update

Troy Nunes is an Absolute Podcast: We gonna let it burn, burn, burn (TNIAAM; podcast; Pregler)

After a bit of a scheduling break, the guys have returned to talk about the Syracuse Orange and where the men’s basketball program is... which is right where they were a month ago. Lacrosse season is full swing, at least?

Syracuse Has Officially Hit Rock Bottom (orangefizz.net; Griffin)

If you walked around SU’s campus on Saturday afternoon, there was a palpable buzz in the atmosphere. The Orange were on a three-game win streak, coming off their first ranked victory of the season, and about to face a Duke team that had played below its potential all season. There was a strong belief that Syracuse could snap a seven-game losing skid to the Blue Devils. Oh, how mistaken we were. After Duke outclassed SU in every way imaginable on the court, Jim Boeheim’s bunch hit a new low.

The most frustrating about this is that this wasn’t supposed to happen. Vegas had Duke listed as just a one-point favorite. KenPom predicted the Blue Devils to win by just two. Also, remember that fantastic win over No. 23 NC State last week? Well, the Wolfpack eviscerated Duke by 24 back on January 4. And the Blue Devils beat the Orange by 22.

ACC News

A death knell to Clemson's NCAA Tournament hopes? (theclemsoninsider.com; Potter)

There’s no sugarcoating what happened inside the KFC Yum! Center Saturday night.

It was bad.

Really bad.

Granted, Louisville has been playing better lately. The Cardinals have now won two of their last four home games, and one of those two losses came by just one possession to ACC leader Virginia. Still, for a team like Clemson that’s trying to play its way onto the right side of the NCAA Tournament bubble, a win had to happen.

It didn’t.

A 10-point loss that was largely dominated in the second half by a four-win Louisville team continued a poorly timed spiral for Clemson, which has lost four of its last five games after a 10-1 start to ACC play. It also added to what’s been an odd season-long body of work.

The Tigers (19-8, 11-5 ACC) have a road win over Virginia Tech and a home win over Duke. They also have a win at Pittsburgh – a team tied for second in the league standings – a double-digit win over No. 23 NC State, a 20-point win over Wake Forest and a 40-point beatdown of Florida State, the largest margin of victory in any ACC game this season.

But the Tigers have some ugly blemishes to go with it.

Clemson began the season trying to dig out of a hole in that regard with a couple of Quad 4 losses in the non-conference to South Carolina and Loyola-Chicago, which beat the Tigers by 18 on a neutral court. After redeeming themselves early in the ACC slate (including those back-to-back Quad 1 wins at Virginia Tech and Pitt), Clemson suffered a Quad 3 blow at Boston College late last month. That came a few nights after Chase Hunter’s last-second heroics at FSU in the teams’ first meeting kept things from getting worse in the bad-loss department.

That was until Saturday when Clemson laid an egg.

Brad Brownell and his team don’t like to make excuses, but they had a built-in one in road losses to Wake Forest and Boston College in that the Tigers weren’t operating at full strength. Hunter and fellow guard Alex Hemenway missed the Wake Forest game, and then Brevin Galloway wasn’t available for the Boston College loss.

Other

C5ZH4NF7DZFH3OR4DMN6A4BNJU.webp

A winter storm sweeping across the U.S. will bring snow and ice to Upstate New York.

Coast-to-coast winter storm to bring snow, ice to Upstate NY (PS; Coin)

A major winter storm will barrel across the U.S. over the next few days, potentially bringing record-breaking snowfall to the Upper Midwest and record heat to the Southeast.

“Almost all of the country (will be) experiencing some form of notable weather,” the National Weather Service said.

Upstate New York will see a notable but unwelcome combination of ice, snow, rain, and high winds, depending upon the temperatures in the atmosphere and the timing of the storm. Roads and sidewalks could get very slippery, and ice accumulating on tree branches and utility lines could cause power outages.

“A complex, messy winter storm will bring a wintry mix of snow, sleet, freezing rain and rain to the area,” said the National Weather Service in Binghamton, which forecasts for Central New York and the Southern Tier.

It will all be dictated by the clash of cold air from Canada and warm air surging up from the Southeast.

The current forecasts call for the storm to arrive in Upstate New York on Wednesday afternoon, with snow falling before it changes over to sleet. The snow could be heavy at times, especially north of the Thruway.

Traitors.png

Where did people move to when they left Onondaga County? (See list of top destinations) (PS; $; Tampone)

When people leave Onondaga County for somewhere outside New York, they often end up in places like North Carolina and Florida, according to new census data.

Buncombe and Gaston counties in North Carolina were the top destinations for Onondaga County residents who left New York during the five-year period from 2016 to 2020, according to the data. Buncombe County is home to Asheville and Gaston County is outside Charlotte.

A total of 445 people from Onondaga County moved to Buncombe County in the 2016 to 2020 period and 343 moved to Gaston.

No. 3 on the list was Lee County in Florida, home to Fort Myers. A total of 327 Onondaga County residents moved there during the period.

The numbers come from the Census Bureau’s latest data on migration flows between U.S. counties, released in January.

Attachments

• Traitors.png
    Traitors.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 42
mardi-gras-7-fcf6c052aba849f58b93ddb58d08388d.jpg
Welcome to Mardi Gras!

In French, Mardi means Tuesday, and gras means fat, so it makes sense that Mardi Gras is often called Fat Tuesday. It is also called Carnival or Carnaval—a name that is also used to refer to the whole period between Epiphany and Ash Wednesday—as well as various other names in different countries. It takes place on the day before Ash Wednesday—when Lent begins—although, in many places where it is widely celebrated, it is a week-long festival. Mardi Gras is held all around the world, particularly in cities with large Roman Catholic populations. Its epicenter is New Orleans, where most non-essential businesses are shut down and locals and pilgrims come together for parades, music, food, and drink. Revelers wear costumes, dress in purple, gold, and green, and wear beads they catch at parades. Large Mardi Gras festivals are also held in Brazil and Venice, and celebrations of the holiday commonly take place in Mississippi, Alabama, Canada, Germany, and Denmark.

SU News

William Patterson is officially '#1000percentcommitted' to play for Syracuse University (cnycentral.com; Misiazek)

William Patterson has officially committed to play basketball at Syracuse University.

In an Instagram post Monday, Patterson posted a video montage of him in an Orange basketball uniform sporting the number one. The caption reads, "CUSE NATION WASSUP BABY #1000percentcommitted."

Patterson stands at seven feet two inches tall, garnering him the nickname of Big Will.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...what-syracuse-is-getting-in-william-patterson (SI; McAllister)

All Syracuse caught up with New Heights AAU Basketball Director Rahme Anderson to learn more about Syracuse basketball's latest commitment in 2023 center prospect William Patterson.

What is Syracuse getting in William Patterson?

Anderson: "He's a great rim runner, he's very athletic, he has a 7-6 wing span. I think him in the middle of the zone, learning the nuances of what coach expects of him, I think he could be a dual threat out there. His potential is very high."

Where have you seen improvement over the last couple of years?

Anderson: "His skill set, his fundamentals and his touch. He has a lot of untapped potential that people haven't seen as much as I've seen because I'm around him a lot. I train him a lot. I'm very impressed by his touch around the rim and the way he runs the floor."

What's the biggest key for him to get ready for the next level?

Anderson: "I think he has to run his own race and get started immediately. As soon as the first summer session opens up, he needs to be on campus eating and working and asking for more work. I think that's what he's accustomed to back home. He's excited to get somewhere where he can get the highest level of training. Right now, I think physically, he needs to catchup to the rest of the league. So I think that will take some time. With Will, you're getting a hard working kid that's definitely going to be that late bloomer that people slept on. I think there's an opportunity for him at Syracuse and he just has to go grab it. He loves the process. He loves going through recovery, workouts, individuals, campus life. He has to embrace the whole thing. I think he's going to be a fan favorite there."

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/william-patterson-commits-to-syracuse-basketball (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball has landed a commitment from 2023 big William Patterson. Patterson, originally from Brooklyn (NY), plays at The Patrick School in New Jersey. For AAU ball, he runs with New Heights. Patterson, listed at 7-2, 220 pounds, picked the Orange over offers from Oklahoma State, TCU and Rutgers, among others.

Patterson earned his offer in August after a strong Elite Camp performance, but had been in contact with the Syracuse coaches for months prior to that. His lead recruiter is Allen Griffin.

"It was after the last game," Patterson said after his offer. "We finished out pretty well even though we didn't win the last game. I had a couple dunks, blocks, steals, got to dribble up the court a little. The offer just came from relationships with the coaches. I was very surprised and very grateful. It just shows the amount of work I put in, so I was very grateful when he came over.

"The camp was very fun. It was well organized. Drills that were tough were very fun and challenging. It felt good to be pushed by the coaches. They were doing well. They knew what they were doing. The best part was the drills just because you get to see where you're at against other people. I liked the competition."

Keeping Up With The 315 2-20-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins starts the show pointing out one big problem with Syracuse’s “Big 3”. Then, he discusses Syracuse’s lone 2023 basketball recruit and finally Tim Leonard joins him on the “411” to talk Syracuse lacrosse and women’s basketball.

On The Block On Demand 2-20-23 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Brent Axe is back to tell you how Syracuse basketball can pull their fans back in. Plus, it was a big weekend for Syracuse women’s basketball as well as women’s lacrosse.

Newhouse At Night 2-20-23 (ESPN; radio; Newhouse at Night)

On tonight’s Newhouse at Night, Harry Kelly and Jackson Holzer open the show voicing their dissatisfaction with Syracuse’s performance against Duke. Then, Josh Crawford, Emily Shiroff, and Tyger Munn voice their concerns about Jesse Edwards’ play against more solid teams.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: MAILBAG: Syracuse Fan Disappointment, Boeheim Succession Plan + Cuse Lax Update on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

MAILBAG: Syracuse Fan Disappointment, Boeheim Succession Plan + Cuse Lax Update

Troy Nunes is an Absolute Podcast: We gonna let it burn, burn, burn (TNIAAM; podcast; Pregler)

After a bit of a scheduling break, the guys have returned to talk about the Syracuse Orange and where the men’s basketball program is... which is right where they were a month ago. Lacrosse season is full swing, at least?

Syracuse Has Officially Hit Rock Bottom (orangefizz.net; Griffin)

If you walked around SU’s campus on Saturday afternoon, there was a palpable buzz in the atmosphere. The Orange were on a three-game win streak, coming off their first ranked victory of the season, and about to face a Duke team that had played below its potential all season. There was a strong belief that Syracuse could snap a seven-game losing skid to the Blue Devils. Oh, how mistaken we were. After Duke outclassed SU in every way imaginable on the court, Jim Boeheim’s bunch hit a new low.

The most frustrating about this is that this wasn’t supposed to happen. Vegas had Duke listed as just a one-point favorite. KenPom predicted the Blue Devils to win by just two. Also, remember that fantastic win over No. 23 NC State last week? Well, the Wolfpack eviscerated Duke by 24 back on January 4. And the Blue Devils beat the Orange by 22.

ACC News

A death knell to Clemson's NCAA Tournament hopes? (theclemsoninsider.com; Potter)

There’s no sugarcoating what happened inside the KFC Yum! Center Saturday night.

It was bad.

Really bad.

Granted, Louisville has been playing better lately. The Cardinals have now won two of their last four home games, and one of those two losses came by just one possession to ACC leader Virginia. Still, for a team like Clemson that’s trying to play its way onto the right side of the NCAA Tournament bubble, a win had to happen.

It didn’t.

A 10-point loss that was largely dominated in the second half by a four-win Louisville team continued a poorly timed spiral for Clemson, which has lost four of its last five games after a 10-1 start to ACC play. It also added to what’s been an odd season-long body of work.

The Tigers (19-8, 11-5 ACC) have a road win over Virginia Tech and a home win over Duke. They also have a win at Pittsburgh – a team tied for second in the league standings – a double-digit win over No. 23 NC State, a 20-point win over Wake Forest and a 40-point beatdown of Florida State, the largest margin of victory in any ACC game this season.

But the Tigers have some ugly blemishes to go with it.

Clemson began the season trying to dig out of a hole in that regard with a couple of Quad 4 losses in the non-conference to South Carolina and Loyola-Chicago, which beat the Tigers by 18 on a neutral court. After redeeming themselves early in the ACC slate (including those back-to-back Quad 1 wins at Virginia Tech and Pitt), Clemson suffered a Quad 3 blow at Boston College late last month. That came a few nights after Chase Hunter’s last-second heroics at FSU in the teams’ first meeting kept things from getting worse in the bad-loss department.

That was until Saturday when Clemson laid an egg.

Brad Brownell and his team don’t like to make excuses, but they had a built-in one in road losses to Wake Forest and Boston College in that the Tigers weren’t operating at full strength. Hunter and fellow guard Alex Hemenway missed the Wake Forest game, and then Brevin Galloway wasn’t available for the Boston College loss.

Other

C5ZH4NF7DZFH3OR4DMN6A4BNJU.webp

A winter storm sweeping across the U.S. will bring snow and ice to Upstate New York.

Coast-to-coast winter storm to bring snow, ice to Upstate NY (PS; Coin)

A major winter storm will barrel across the U.S. over the next few days, potentially bringing record-breaking snowfall to the Upper Midwest and record heat to the Southeast.

“Almost all of the country (will be) experiencing some form of notable weather,” the National Weather Service said.

Upstate New York will see a notable but unwelcome combination of ice, snow, rain, and high winds, depending upon the temperatures in the atmosphere and the timing of the storm. Roads and sidewalks could get very slippery, and ice accumulating on tree branches and utility lines could cause power outages.

“A complex, messy winter storm will bring a wintry mix of snow, sleet, freezing rain and rain to the area,” said the National Weather Service in Binghamton, which forecasts for Central New York and the Southern Tier.

It will all be dictated by the clash of cold air from Canada and warm air surging up from the Southeast.

The current forecasts call for the storm to arrive in Upstate New York on Wednesday afternoon, with snow falling before it changes over to sleet. The snow could be heavy at times, especially north of the Thruway.

View attachment 225234

Where did people move to when they left Onondaga County? (See list of top destinations) (PS; $; Tampone)

When people leave Onondaga County for somewhere outside New York, they often end up in places like North Carolina and Florida, according to new census data.

Buncombe and Gaston counties in North Carolina were the top destinations for Onondaga County residents who left New York during the five-year period from 2016 to 2020, according to the data. Buncombe County is home to Asheville and Gaston County is outside Charlotte.

A total of 445 people from Onondaga County moved to Buncombe County in the 2016 to 2020 period and 343 moved to Gaston.

No. 3 on the list was Lee County in Florida, home to Fort Myers. A total of 327 Onondaga County residents moved there during the period.

The numbers come from the Census Bureau’s latest data on migration flows between U.S. counties, released in January.

I moved from Monroe County, not Onondaga, but the destination was Asheville in Buncombe County, NC (#1 on the list).