Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1584396557688.jpeg
Welcome to Panda Day!

National Panda Day, also known as Giant Panda Bear Day and Panda Day, celebrates the giant panda. It sometimes is also used to celebrate the red panda, although this is usually not the case, as red pandas already have their own holiday. The number of giant pandas in the wild has slowly been increasing since the 1970s, when there were only about 1000. As of 2020, there were about 1900 giant pandas in the wild, and about 300 in zoos. Still, the giant panda is considered to be vulnerable by the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN).

Years ago, giant pandas could be found throughout southern and eastern China, Myanmar, and northern Vietnam. Humans are their greatest threat, and the expansion of population and development has led to habitat fragmentation and loss and has limited them to six mountain ranges in the Chinese provinces of Sichuan, Gansu, and Shaanxi. Most live in cool, wet bamboo forests in the Minshan and Qinling mountains, between 5,000 and 10,000 feet above sea level. Establishing new reserves and extending existing ones is essential for preserving and rebuilding the panda population. Close to two-thirds of the world's pandas are now protected in China's reserves.

SU News

When Syracuse men's basketball took over Albany in 2003 (timesunion.com; Singelais)

Albany turned into Syracuse East on a March weekend 20 years ago. MVP Arena, then called Pepsi Arena, transformed into a smaller version of the Dome.

The Syracuse men's basketball team owned the capital when the Orange came to town for the NCAA East Regional on March 28 and 30, 2003.

Auburn, Butler and Oklahoma also arrived at the party. But Syracuse was clearly the guest of honor just a two-hour bus ride from campus.

"The fans were unbelievable in Albany when we were there," former Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim recalled Wednesday in a phone interview. "It was, I think, noisier than a home game in the Dome. It was incredible, the fan support that we had in Albany. I was shocked. Just everybody (there). It was crazy."

Led by freshman star Carmelo Anthony, third-seeded Syracuse edged No. 10 Auburn 79-78 in a Sweet 16 contest. Then the Orange knocked off No. 1 seed Oklahoma (which had beaten Butler) 63-47 in the regional final to earn a trip to the Final Four in New Orleans. Syracuse went on to win its only national championship by beating Kansas in the final.

"Without it, I would not have felt as successful," said Boeheim, 78, whose 47-year Hall of Fame tenure as Syracuse head coach ended last week. "The whole thing was you had to win one (title). Obviously, you'd like to win more. But to win one, it's not that easy and nor that many people have done it, so I definitely would have felt a big hole there."

The trip to Albany was personal for Syracuse starting center Craig Forth, a Columbia High graduate who was then an Orange sophomore.

"We got to the Wolf Road Marriott and pulled in and there's news people all over the place," Forth said. "That was the one time I ever felt like I had security watching me and making sure nobody got near anybody."

Forth got 20 or 25 tickets from teammates who weren't using theirs so family and friends could attend. His aunt from Auburn, near Syracuse, brought the same "May The Forth Be With You" banner she hung at the Dome.

They had plenty of company among the more than 15,000 fans who packed the arena.

"Auburn had like one section of orange that was a little bit different than ours," Forth said. "And the rest of the arena was bright orange and it might as well have been a home game. ... It was an incredible sea of orange that was a little more intimate than the Carrier Dome, to be honest with you, because it's a tighter space."

Against Auburn, Syracuse jumped to a 17-point lead in the first half and held on. Two days later, Syracuse used its famed 2-3 zone to neutralize Oklahoma star guard Hollis Price. The Orange pulled away to reach one of their five Final Fours under Boeheim.

The Orange, which began that season unranked, also starred future NBA player Hakim Warrick and Gerry McNamara, currently the Orange associate head coach under new head coach Adrian Autry.

UPDATEDCassandraRoshu_SP_UNC_01242023_023.png

Daily Orange

'RED'S READY': To Adrian Autry's colleagues, he is prepared to be SU's next head coach (DO; Smith)

The idea of Adrian Autry becoming a head coach isn’t a novel one. Bill Courtney realized it could happen when he worked with Autry at Virginia Tech over a decade ago. For Guy Rancourt and Allen Griffin, it was when Autry led a USA East Coast All-Star team in Europe. In 2019, Jim Boeheim said Autry was ready to be a head coach.

For Seth Greenberg, Autry’s former boss at Virginia Tech, it clicked five years ago. He watched a practice at Syracuse, and saw his former assistant working with players one-on-one before and after practice, then injecting messages into the session that complemented Boeheim. “He was in total command of everything that he was involved with,” Greenberg said. He picked up his phone and called his wife. “Red’s ready,” Greenberg said.

When Greenberg told Autry he was prepared to be a head coach, Autry agreed — he had wanted to be a head coach for years. Greenberg had given Autry his foundation at VT, where Autry served as director of basketball operations for two seasons and an assistant coach for one.

In 2011, Autry left Virginia Tech to become an assistant under Boeheim at Syracuse. Six years later, he became associate head coach, assuming a larger presence in practices and recruiting. When Director of Athletics John Wildhack created a list of potential future head coaches, he reached the same conclusion as everyone else: Autry was ready. On Wednesday, that became reality. Autry, a former SU point guard, is officially the guy after the guy. Why him? Well, Wildhack said, Autry has been exposed to every aspect of the sport, and that uniquely prepares him for the job.

“Adrian earned this,” Wildhack said Friday. “Adrian’s not here because he’s an alum, because he played here, because he’s an associate coach here. He’s here because I believe he’s the best candidate to lead this program and sustain the success that coach Boeheim has established over 47 years.”

Autry’s work coaching and developing forwards, as well as his recruiting ties to the talent-rich Washington, D.C.-Baltimore region, makes Wildhack confident he’s ready to lead the program.

“I am a new voice, a new face, with new ideas,” Autry said in his introductory press conference. “But the standards that have helped build this program will not change.”

How does Boeheim, the architect of those standards, leader of the historic program Autry is taking over, feel about this change?

“Syracuse basketball is being left in the best of hands,” Boeheim said. “They won’t need me.”

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/c...aying-in-the-2nd-longest-game-in-ncaa-history (basketballnetwork.com; Acedera)

Back in 2009, Syracuse played UConn in the longest NCAA men’s basketball game in the shot clock era and the second-longest NCAA men’s basketball Division I game ever. The game needed 3 hours and 46 minutes to complete. It started at 9:36 p.m. on March 12, 2009, and ended in the wee hours of the following day.

After the marathon game, Syracuse guard Johnny Flynn - the star of the show, said:

"I just wanted to get the game over with. I was thinking, 'Lord, just get this game over with. Whoever wins the game, let's just get it over with. I can’t even feel my legs right now.”

Flynn had the right to say those words, after all, he played for a total of 67 minutes during the game, just three minutes less than the total game time.

Longest NCAA Game in the Shot Clock Era

The longest game in the history of NCAA Division I basketball took place on December 21, 1981, when Cincinnati beat Bradley 75-73 in a game that was decided in the 7th overtime period. But that game took place before the shot clock era.

Syracuse’s 2009 win over UConn in the quarterfinals of the 2009 Big East Tournament is the longest NCAA men’s basketball game in the shot clock era, as the game saw six overtime periods before a winner emerged.
Back in 2009, Syracuse played UConn in the longest NCAA men’s basketball game in the shot clock era and the second-longest NCAA men’s basketball Division I game ever. The game needed 3 hours and 46 minutes to complete. It started at 9:36 p.m. on March 12, 2009, and ended in the wee hours of the following day.

After the marathon game, Syracuse guard Johnny Flynn - the star of the show, said:

"I just wanted to get the game over with. I was thinking, 'Lord, just get this game over with. Whoever wins the game, let's just get it over with. I can’t even feel my legs right now.”

Flynn had the right to say those words, after all, he played for a total of 67 minutes during the game, just three minutes less than the total game time.

5 Things to Know About New Men’s Basketball Coach Adrian Autry ’94 (syr.edu; Boccacino)

Adrian Autry ’94 built his credentials as a player and coach under his mentor, Hall of Fame head coach and colleague Jim Boeheim ’66, G’73. Autry is now set to make his own mark as the eighth head coach of the Syracuse University men’s basketball program.

“Thirty-three years ago, I arrived at Syracuse University a young man from Harlem, New York. I always say that I was the easiest McDonald’s All-American you ever had to recruit. From day one, Coach took me under his wing, as a player and most recently as a coach,” Autry said during last week’s press conference, as he was officially introduced as the new head coach. “It has been an honor to play for and coach with you. I’m excited to begin this next chapter.”

During the press conference, Orange fans got to know a bit more about the four-year letterwinner and a hint at what they might expect as Autry continues the proud legacy of Syracuse men’s basketball.

1. Vision for the Program

Autry was quick to state he has no plans to reinvent a program that entered the 2022-23 season as the sixth-winningest program in the NCAA.

“I am a new voice, a new face with new ideas. But the standards that have helped build this program will not change,” Autry said.

“We want to be versatile on both ends of the floor. We want to be aggressive and get up and down [the court]. Just being able to adapt and for right now, that’s where we’re starting. As we go, we’ll adapt to the personnel we have. But for right now, the one thing we want to do is play with some space and pace and get up and down the court.”

2. Passing the Torch

Autry joined Boeheim’s staff as an assistant head coach in 2011 before being promoted to associate head coach in March 2017. He succeeds Boeheim, who amassed a career record of 1,015-441 and guided the Orange to the 2003 national championship, five Final Four appearances, 19 Sweet 16 berths and 35 trips to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Tournament during his tenure.

Autry credited Boeheim for instilling in him a desire to “never lower your standards for your team and players. And the consistency. … Come in and go after it every day,” Autry said.

Boeheim gave Autry his full endorsement.

“I’ve known Adrian Autry since he was 16 years old. He scored 30 points in New York City against [future NBA player] Kenny Anderson and I said ‘that’s a guy we need to get to come to Syracuse.’ A few years ago, we needed to get him to come back [to be on the staff] and he came back. He’s a great coach. Adrian Autry can coach. He knows how to coach. There will be no problem coaching going forward. None. … Syracuse basketball is being left in the best of hands,” he said.

(youtube; video; Syracuse Orange)

Adrian Autry is welcomed as the new head coach of Syracuse men’s basketball.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...in-remaining-with-syracuse-basketball-program (SI; McAllister)

Allen Griffin will remain part of the men's basketball coaching staff going into next season, the program officially announced on Wednesday. Griffin has served as an assistant coach since 2017 and has 15 years of division one coaching experience prior to joining the Orange. Griffin is also a former player who won 98 games from 1997-2001 including four NCAA Tournament appearances. He averaged 10.8 points, 6.5 assists, 3.3 rebounds and 1.9 steals per game during his senior season.

"We are thrilled that Allen will remain a key member of our basketball staff," Syracuse Director of Athletics John Wildhack said in a press release. "He has done an outstanding developing our centers, is an excellent recruiter and has a deep passion for Syracuse Basketball."

Head coach Adrian Autry says it is a great thing for the program to retain Griffin on staff.

"It was very important to me that we keep a part of our coaching staff," said Autry. "He's played a crucial role in recruiting, in developing our student-athletes as players and young men, and in our commitment to the high standards of Syracuse basketball."

Coach Griffin is also excited to remain with the Orange.

"I'm thrilled to continue at Syracuse as a member of Coach Autry's staff," said Griffin. "I've cherished the time I've had working with Coach Boeheim and now I'm excited about this opportunity going forward."

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...ted-associated-head-coach-syracuse-basketball (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse assistant Gerry McNamara has been promoted to Associate Head Coach, the basketball program announced on Wednesday. McNamara has been a full-time assistant since the 2011-12 season and is one of the most beloved players in program history. He was one of the best players on the National Championship team, had dozens of incredible and historical moments including the run to the 2006 Big East Tournament Championship.

“I am pleased Gerry will remain on our staff,” Syracuse Director of Athletics John Wildhack said in a press release. “He’s earned this well-deserved promotion to Associate Head Coach. Gerry is an excellent recruiter and has done tremendous work developing our guards. I’m thrilled he will continue to grow his career at Syracuse.”

Head coach Adrian Autry is also thrilled with the promotion.

“Our program is fortunate to be able to have a quality coach like Gerry McNamara,” said Autry. “He has symbolized the uniqueness of our program as a player and as an assistant coach. I am grateful to have him remain on our staff.”

Coach McNamara is grateful for the opportunity and recognition.

“I appreciate the chance to continue to coach at Syracuse University and help Coach Autry build on the program’s history of success,” said McNamara. “The community has meant the world to my family and I over the years. I know as a staff we are eager to hit the ground running and get right to work.”

Syracuse Basketball: Melo’s 4-star son jumps into top 60 of new rankings (itlh; Adler)

One of the primary recruiting services recently updated and expanded its national rankings for the 2025 class, and Syracuse basketball four-star recruit Kiyan Anthony resides within the top 60 of these new ratings.

The 6-foot-3 shooting guard, who is the son of Orange legend and long-time NBA star Carmelo Anthony, is four stars, No. 60 overall, No. 13 at his position and No. 2 in New York within new 2025 national rankings from On3.

For some context, On3 recently refreshed its national ratings for the sophomore recruiting cycle, expanding its list from 50 to 75 prospects in the 2025 class.

Last November, Syracuse basketball coaches offered a scholarship to Kiyan Anthony, a development that both he and his father celebrated.

That being said, Anthony has said in interviews that he is taking his time with his recruiting process, and while the ‘Cuse is likely to be a significant contender for him, Anthony is keeping his options open.

The four-star son of Syracuse basketball icon Carmelo Anthony has vaulted into new rankings.

For much of the 2022-23 season, Kiyan Anthony suited up for the famed Christ the King Regional High School in Middle Village, N.Y.

At the beginning of February, though, Anthony disclosed on Twitter that he was transferring to Long Island Lutheran High School in Brookville, N.Y., which has proven one of the top high-school squads around the country in the 2022-23 term.

Long Island Lutheran is a member of the loaded National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (“NIBC”), a 10-team super league that includes top-flight independent basketball academies and prep-school squads.

As Anthony looks ahead to his junior season at Long Island Lutheran in 2023-24, competing in the NIBC will undeniably result in increased exposure for him.

Besides the Orange, Anthony’s offer sheet includes Memphis, Bryant, George Mason and Manhattan, according to recruiting services.

College coaches can start initiating direct communication with 2025 players in mid-June of this year, so I fully expect Anthony’s list of offers to grow at that time, if not sooner.

When I penned this column, the industry-generated On3 Industry Ranking had Anthony as four stars, No. 68 nationally, No. 18 at shooting guard and No. 2 in New York within the sophomore cycle.

Also at the time of this writing, 247Sports rated Anthony as four stars, No. 62 overall, No. 14 at shooting guard and No. 3 in New York within the 2025 class.

I’m looking forward to watching Anthony play in grassroots basketball over the spring and summer months, as well as in the NIBC later this year.

Keeping Up With The 315 3-15-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins starts The 315 on 3-15 discussing the news that Gerry McNamara is the Associate Head Coach for Syracuse men’s basketball and how the team is shaping up. Then, Brian Higgins starts filling out his bracket, one which he recommends you don’t copy. Later, Brian announces how he sees the Big Dance concluding.

Jason Benetti "The 315" 3-15-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Jason Benetti, play-by-play broadcaster for FOX and the Chicago White Sox, joins Brian Higgins to preview the NCAA Tournament.

Thomas Casale "The 315" 3-15-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Action Network senior editor Thomas Casale joins Brian Higgins to give his thoughts on this year’s March Madness bracket and which teams he trusts with his money.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: With The Addition Of JJ Starling + Departure Of Symir Torrence, What Will SU's Guard Rotation Be? on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

With The Addition Of JJ Starling + Departure Of Symir Torrence, What Will SU's Guard Rotation Be?

Syracuse Basketball Has Momentum Again (orangefizz.net; Frank)

It’s been a long week for the Syracuse men’s basketball program. Just seven days ago, the Orange were taking on Wake Forest in round two of the ACC Tournament, and despite losing on a buzzer-beating three for the second time in three years, it doesn’t matter. Jim Boeheim then gave a very cryptic postgame press conference, and mere hours later Adrian Autry was Syracuse’s new head coach.

Then, on Friday, Boeheim gave his official retirement speech (technically his second according to himself) and then Autry spoke, with each man speaking glowingly of the other, and the impact each of them has had on their careers. Following that, Autry, Gerry McNamara (Syracuse’s new Associate Head Coach), and Allen Griffin headed out recruiting on the high school trail, and when the transfer portal opened on Monday, the real news broke.

J.J. Starling entered the portal on Monday after a single season at Notre Dame, and Orange fans collectively lost their minds. Usually, when this happens, SU loses out, but almost immediately, crystal balls and predictions flooded in for Autry and Syracuse. By Tuesday morning, Starling announced he was “coming home”, and the Autry era was off to a raucous start, and the Orange have infused much-needed talent into their roster with a former five-star.

With that news, Symir Torrence joined John Bol Ajak as the only members of the Orange to enter the portal, but no one else has announced their intentions yet. Based on the swiftness of the Starling news and decision, Autry seems to not be taking any prisoners when it comes to remaking this roster, and as the lead recruiter, players with prior relationships to SU’s new head coach are taking notice.

1935273.0.jpg

Photo by Craig Jones/Getty Images

Syracuse Orange: Celebrating 3-15 in the 315 (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

Happy 3-15 Syracuse Orange fans! Whether you’re Salt City born and raised or someone making a pit stop here like me, 315 Day is the chance to celebrate Syracuse for what makes it special. Of course, part of that is the Athletics here on the hill, which is why I’m here to talk about some of the student-athletes that represent the city - literally.

During his jersey retirement speech, Gerry McNamara spoke about now seeing “315” in a framed picture of him and Carmelo Anthony instead of just their uniform numbers, adding that he hopes #5 Josh Price will join him (#3) and Hakim Warrick (#1) in the Dome rafters.

That got me thinking about some of the other 3-15 pairings in Syracuse Athletics, and since there’s no time like the present, here are all the current combos playing an SU sport:

Current 3-15 combos

Football: Mikel Jones, Derek McDonald

This linebacker duo is probably the most recognizable pair on the list. Jones was the defensive captain last season, guiding the 3-3-5 to strong performances against many of the tough opponents on SU's calendar. McDonald meanwhile was thrust into action after injuries to Stefon Thompson and others, performing admirably and building his resume for 2023 and beyond. They combined for 123 tackles, five sacks, one interception, two forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery. While ‘Kel is off to the NFL Draft, Derek will be back in the two-deep this fall.

Men’s Lacrosse: Carter Kempney, Caelin Lewis

A pair of reserve players for Gary Gait. Kempney is a true freshman who has appeared in four games, scoring his first career goal on his first ever shot against UAlbany. Lewis, a redshirt sophomore, has appeared in two games but did not record any statistics.

Men’s Soccer: Abdi Salim, Louie Bulger

Salim returned for his senior season after missing all of 2021, helping guide a lockdown defense all the way to the program’s first NCAA Championship. He was rewarded by being selected #17 by Orlando City SC in the MLS SuperDraft. Bulger meanwhile was a reserve defender, appearing in three games and earning a ring all the same.

ACC News

Tough Loss: Ruminations on the waning days of the ACC from the city where it was born (triad-city-beat.com; Clarey)

There was a moment on March 9, after eventual tournament winner the University of Virginia knocked UNC-Chapel Hill out of the ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament, that the Tar Heels entertained a moment of sober self-reflection.

They had been pre-season favorites to win the whole thing on the strength of last year’s performance, finishing at No. 2 in the regular season, advancing to the semifinal round of the ACC Tournament and capping it off with a Second Place finish in the NCAA Tournament — the Big Dance, as sportswriters like to call it. That Final Four run included delivering a seismic loss to archrival Duke in the very last game the Blue Devil’s storied coach, Mike Krzyzewski, would ever helm.

For the 2022-23 season, the UNC starting lineup was unchanged.

Last week, in a somber locker-room scene that saw players slumped in their chairs and holding towels over their faces as they absorbed this final L of the season, senior forward Armando Bacot summed it up.

“Really, the story of this year was just talking about last year, I feel like,” he said. “That’s kind of all we heard from y’all and stuff we look back on. I think it was just an overdue, long hangover.”

He was talking about the Tar Heels. But in Greensboro — where the ACC was born, flourished and thrived — it was hard not to think he was talking about us.

MBB: Basketball News 2023 Mar 15 (RX; HM)

MBB: Basketball News 2023 Mar 15

From SI.com: AP All-America Men’s Basketball Team

AP All-America first team

Zach Edey, center, Purdue
Trayce Jackson-Davis, forward, Indiana
Brandon Miller, forward, Alabama
Marcus Sasser, guard, Houston
Jalen Wilson, forward, Kansas

No ACC players on the 1st team.

AP All-America second team

Jaime Jaquez Jr., guard, UCLA
Jalen Pickett, guard, Penn State
Drew Timme, forward, Gonzaga
Oscar Tshiebwe, forward, Kentucky
Azuolas Tubelis, forward, Arizona

No ACC players on the 2nd team.

AP All-America third team

Armando Bacot, forward, North Carolina
Keyontae Johnson, forward, Kansas State
Tyler Kolek, guard, Marquette
Kris Murray, forward, Iowa
Markquis Nowell, guard, Kansas State

One ACC player on the 3rd team.

The league that used to be called the Rodney Dangerfield of college football now "don't get no respect" in men's basketball, apparently.

Other

Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon proposes nursing scholarships to fight emergency room crisis (PS; Breidenbach)

Onondaga County will respond to the crushing backup in Central New York’s emergency rooms by creating a new scholarship program for people who pursue nursing degrees over the next two years, County Executive Ryan McMahon said Wednesday.

The crisis was highlighted in a recent report on Syracuse.com | The Post-Standard.

It takes so long to get help in Syracuse’s busiest emergency rooms that people simply walk out without being treated, the investigation found.

The county will partner with the Allyn Foundation, The Community Foundation and local nursing schools to offer scholarships to residents who have been accepted into nursing programs at Upstate, St. Joe’s and Crouse hospitals, Onondaga Community College, LeMoyne College or Bryant and Stratton. Onondaga County will contribute $1.5 million, he said.

The scholarship will cover tuition and related expenses in a “last-dollar fashion,” which means the amount left after other sources are exhausted.

McMahon made the announcement during his annual State of the County Address, held Wednesday at Onondaga Community College.

He said OCC is also creating a medical hospital simulation and lab to train more workers for hospitals, nursing homes and other medical providers. The expansion is a $32 million project.

During his speech, McMahon celebrated the recent announcement that Micron plans to build a $100 billion mega campus for semiconductor manufacturing. It is expected to employ 9,000 people and spin off 40,000 other jobs in contractor and other supporting roles.

J4WPYDATANBELBTG35V7KXT6HA.jpg

On Valentine’s Day DEC police found this dead 14-foot reticulated python on the side of the road in the Long Island town of Medford, New York.

DEC would like to know who misplaced 14-foot python found on New York roadside (PS; Featherstone)

On Valentine’s Day somebody reported seeing a 12-foot snake on the side of the road in the Long Island town of Medford, New York.

Department of Environmental Conservation police officers investigating the report found the snake, a reticulated python, curled up in ball.

Pythons are native to South and Southeast Asia and cannot survive for long in cold temperatures. After determining that the snake was dead, the officers stretched it to its full length of 14-feet before disposing of it.

It’s illegal to keep these types of snakes as pets in New York, DEC said, and only those with a Dangerous Animal License may possess them.

An investigation into the snake’s owner is ongoing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom