Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Audubon Day!

John James Audubon, born on today's date in 1785, was the foremost wildlife illustrator in the United States for half a century, mainly focusing on ornithological paintings. He was born in Saint Domingue, a French colony that is now Haiti. His parents were a French naval officer and his mistress. His mother died shortly after he was born, and he was raised in France by his father and stepmother. In 1803, he came to America and lived at the family estate in Mill Grove, Pennsylvania, where he studied, drew birds, and met his wife, Lucy. He experimented with bird banding, being the first person known to have done so in North America. He and Lucy moved to Kentucky and started a family. He continued to draw birds as a hobby and owned a store until going bankrupt in 1819.

SU News

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/syracuse-basketball-offers-2024-pg-mikey-lewis (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball has extended a scholarship offer to one of the recruits who made the biggest name for himself at this past weekend's EYBL session. Class of 2024 guard Mikey Lewis tweeted that assistant Brenden Straughn offered on behalf of the Orange on Monday. Lewis, a 6-3 point guard, is rated a three star prospect by 247Sports and On3 but a four star by Rivals and ESPN.

Providence, Illinois, Arizona State and Washington State have also recently offered Lewis, who previously held a Cal offer as well. Why is he suddenly attracting a lot of high major attention? Lewis had a stellar first session at the EYBL for the Oakland Soldiers this past weekend.

In fact, Lewis led the EYBL in scoring at 25.3 points per game. This was not simply a volume scoring situation either. Lewis shot 49.2% from the floor overall while hitting 14 of 26 (53.8%) of his three point attempts. In addition, Lewis contributed in other ways beyond scoring the basketball. He averaged 4.5 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 0.8 steals per game as well. That is why Lewis is one of the most buzz-worthy recruits in the country right now. It would not be a surprise if other offers came as a result. He will certainly have more eyes on him at the next EYBL session to see if he can back up that performance.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/mikey-lewis-syracuse-offer-big-smile (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball extended an offer to 2024 point guard Mikey Lewis on Monday, who says it was assistant Brenden Straught that extended the scholarship opportunity.

"I played pretty good this past weekend at the EYBL," Lewis said. "My program directors put me on the phone with coach Straughn and he was just saying that he really liked my game. That he could see me coming up there and he offered me."

The offer left Lewis smiling.

"I was in the gym and getting up shots," Lewis said. "When he told me, I was just really excited. Really happy. I had a big smile. I was really excited."

Despite being on the west coast, Lewis says he is familiar with the Syracuse program.

"Me and coach Straughn have quite a few people in common," Lewis said. "They all said good things and spoke very highly of him. Syracuse, I watched a lot of their games. Especially when they're on ESPN, I watch a lot of those games, ABC and national networks. I watch a lot of college basketball so I've tuned in to quite a few of their games."

PY2GFDFDEZHLBOYOCJLJHLKWT4.jpg

Cardinal Hayes' Elijah Moore pivots to his left as he tries to get by Imhotep's Malcolm Muhammad. Imhotep Charter faced Cardinal Hayes during the 2023 Spalding Hoophall Classic at Springfield College's Blake Arena in Springfield, MA, on Jan. 15, 2023. (MEREDITH PERRI / MASSLIVE)

Moore’s commitment to SU not impacted by Weitsman’s split with school (PS; Waters)

Elijah Moore’s commitment to Syracuse remains firm, his father says.

Moore, a 6-foot-4 junior guard out of Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx, committed to Syracuse in late January. That came just days after SU fan Adam Weitsman flew him to Syracuse to watch a game from courtside seats.

At the time, Moore’s father, Ty, said his son’s decision to attend Syracuse had nothing to do with Weitsman’s promise of an NIL deal.

Recently, Weitsman said he was getting out of the NIL game and ending any future support of Syracuse athletes. Weitsman told syracuse.com last week that he has no agreement to pay Moore.

“I will not be having any deal with Elijah Moore,” Weitsman said. “I’m sure someone else will step up. He’s a great kid and a great player. I’m sure someone will step up for him. They should.

donnie-freeman-visit-5.jpg

Donnie Freeman Crystal Ball-ed to Syracuse (orangefizz.net; Simone)

Syracuse may be closing in on a big time recruit in the class of 2024. The Orange already have a commitment from guard Elijah Moore, the 85th ranked high school junior according to 247Sports’ composite rankings.

Now, 247 has crystal balled Donnie Freeman, a 6’8 forward from Washington, D.C. to SU. Freeman is the 27th ranked player in the composite rankings, and number four power forward in his class and visited Syracuse in early April. He also has offers from Alabama, a one seed in this year’s NCAA Tournament, and Texas, who went to the Final Four.

Freeman’s versatility and athleticism make him desirable as a prospect. At 6’8 190, he’s listed as a power forward, but not in a traditional sense. His self-described focuses are shooting and ball handling. Essentially, he wants to play more like Benny Williams than Maliq Brown.

If this comes to fruition, Freeman’s commitment would be a major validation for Adrian Autry. Freeman plays for Team Takeover, based in the DMV. Brenden Straughn, Syracuse’s new assistant coach who was hired as the fourth member of the staff after Jim Boeheim retired and every other staff member moved up a seat on the bench, used to coach Team Takeover and is still well connected in the DMV AAU scene.

Keeping Up With The 315 4-25-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins is here to declare a national holiday: portal watch day 44 in The 315. Brian gives the latest news, including one big man liking a tweet from yesterday connected to the Orange. Then, Stefan from Utica calls in to talk Syracuse women’s lacrosse with the impending ACC Tournament. Finally, Brian goes from the NFL draft/Syracuse football rabbit hole ahead of the first round on Thursday.

Kevin Sweeney "The 315" 4-25-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Sports Illustrated college basketball writer Kevin Sweeney joins “The 315” on portal day 44. Kevin shares the latest on what he’s heard regarding the Syracuse search for a center and other rumblings. Plus, a look at how the hiring of Adrian Autry has impacted the recruiting trail thus far for the Orange.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: Syracuse Basketball Is Racking Up Predictions To Get 2024 4-Star Forward Donnie Freeman on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse Basketball Is Racking Up Predictions To Get 2024 4-Star Forward Donnie Freeman

Syracuse Basketball: Orange 4-star recruit Kiyan Anthony goes off in AAU (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball recruiting target Kiyan Anthony, a 2025 four-star shooting guard from New York City, is off to a terrific start in the early goings of the grassroots basketball circuit this spring and summer.

The 6-foot-5 Anthony, the son of long-time NBA star Carmelo Anthony, received a scholarship offer from the Orange coaching staff last November.

He has other early offers from teams including Memphis, Bryant, George Mason, Manhattan and, most recently, Providence.

I have every confidence that as the contact period opens up for 2025 prospects in mid-June, and college coaches can initiate direct communication with Kiyan Anthony, his offer sheet will greatly expand. Is Syracuse basketball a favorite for him at this point in his recruitment?

Well, he’s said that getting offered by the Orange meant a lot to him, but Kiyan Anthony also has a way to go in his recruiting process. Time will tell.

Time is Running Out For Syracuse to Find a Center (orangefizz.net; Frank)

As has been the case all offseason around college basketball, the transfer portal giveth, but the transfer portal also taketh. For Syracuse, that has included losing Symir Torrence, John Bol Ajak, Joe Girard III, and most importantly, Jesse Edwards. But, the additions of J.J. Starling and Chance Westry can’t be understated, and they’ll provide a massive defensive and playmaking lift in the backcourt for Syracuse next season. But, one thing remains true, and that is the Orange desperately need to add another center to this roster one way or another.

So far in the portal, Syracuse has missed on Abou Ousmane, who committed to Xavier and is looking increasingly unlikely to land the biggest of fish in the portal, Hunter Dickinson. Other names exist, such as Moussa Cisse, along with others, the Orange could be targeting. Word on the street is mostly quiet about how SU is planning on filling the Edwards-sized hole left on the roster. Papa Kante, a player SU targetted on the high school recruiting trail, asked out of his letter of intent with Michigan and is back on the market, presenting the Orange with another option.

But, the tricky thing that Adrian Autry and his staff are having to navigate is that the transfer portal is not open forever, and the 60-day window that opened in mid-March closes on May 11, which is only a little over two weeks away. That’s still time for the Orange to make a move, but not time for a long, drawn-out recruitment. Autry and his assistants spent the weekend in Atlanta watching the Nike EYBL circuit, with eyes on high school players (such as Donnie Freeman), but that doesn’t eliminate the need for a center in the short term.

The Orange have reportedly had contact with Florida State 7’4 transfer center Naheem McLeod, who torched SU back when the two teams played in February. Adding someone of McLeod’s size and length could be huge for the back line of Syracuse’s defense, which should play multiple different styles in its first season with Autry at the helm.

Links, News and Rumors 2023 April 26th (RX; HM)

Links, News and Rumors 2023 April 26th

The Virginia-Maryland non-conference matchup, originally scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 16, will now be played on Friday, Sept. 15 and the two schools will square off at SECU Stadium in College Park, Md. The kickoff time and television designation will be announced later this spring.
2023 Virginia at Maryland football game moved to Friday
That game probably will get a lot better television audience on a Friday night.

Notre Dame's Tyler Buchner enters transfer portal
Notre Dame quarterback Tyler Buchner on Tuesday said that he has entered the NCAA transfer portal "to explore my options, and decide what is best for my future." Buchner's portal entry has a red exclamation point, which means that he does not want to be contacted by teams...
He entered the offseason with some momentum after starting the Fighting Irish's 45-38 victory over South Carolina in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl, going 18 of 33 for 273 yards with three touchdown and three interceptions. He began the 2022 season as the starter in the first two games against Ohio State and Marshall before suffering a shoulder injury against the Thundering Herd...
Buchner battled with Wake Forest transfer Sam Hartman this spring.

Buchner showed flashes of brilliance. The question is whether he's "injury prone".

...this weekend, Harrison Ingram, a transfer from Stanford, publicly committed to North Carolina. He joined Jae'Lyn Withers (Louisville) and Cormac Ryan (Notre Dame) as quality high-major transfers who will likely start at UNC alongside returning stars R.J. Davis and Armando Bacot, and I'm just going to trust that a team starting those five players is going to be good.

Other

National retailer to move into Natur-Tyme, which is closing soon (PS; $; Doran)

A national auto parts store plans to move into the Natur-Tyme building after the health and wellness store shuts down in late May.

O’Reilly Auto Parts, headquartered in Springfield, Missouri, plans to open its fifth Onondaga County store in the Natur-Tyme space at 3160 Erie Blvd. E. in DeWitt, town planning officials confirmed. The store is in the Empire Plaza.

Natur-Tyme announced in mid-April it would close in the coming months after more than 40 years in business. According to a recent social media announcement, the health and wellness store will shut down after Memorial Day.

O’Reilly Auto Parts officials did not have a timeline yet for the retailer to move into the space.

The company sells auto parts, tools, supplies, equipment, and accessories to service providers and do-it-yourself customers. It has been in operation since 1957.

The Aces, Ella Jane, Sarah Kinsley to perform at first-ever Block Darty (DO; Lechner)

University Union has announced that their inaugural Block Darty event will be held on the Syracuse University quad from 2-6 p.m. on Friday, April 28 before Block Party starts in the JMA Wireless Dome at 7 p.m. The event will be headlined by The Aces and also feature Ella Jane and Sarah Kinsley.

The Aces are an alternative pop band from Provo, Utah. The band has four members: guitarist Katie Henderson, bassist McKenna Petty and sisters Alisa Ramirez and Cristal Ramirez. Since the release of their latest album “Under My Influence” in 2020, the band has been on a journey of self-discovery.

Growing up, Ella Jane used songwriting to better understand her life experiences. After gaining a strong online following, Jane started her freshman year at Tufts University in 2019. When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, she spent a lot of time working on a set of songs that she originally wrote in high school, which eventually became her debut project “THIS IS NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!