Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Nylon Stockings Day!

Each year on May 15th, we recognize the stylish variety and color available on National Nylon Stocking Day.

#NylonStockingDay

Many may not remember ever hearing the term “nylon stockings.” Varying in color, design, and transparency, a nylon stocking (also known as hose) is a close-fitting, variously elastic garment worn the same as socks or tights.

Stockings worn before the 1890s were made of woven cloth such as cotton, linen, wool, or silk. Before the 1920s, women’s stockings were worn for warmth. As hemlines of women’s dresses rose in the 1920s, women began to wear stockings over their exposed legs. These 1920s stockings were sheer, made first of silk or rayon, followed by nylon after 1940.

Chemical company DuPont’s introduction of nylon in 1939 began a high demand for stockings in the United States. As nylon stockings were inexpensive, durable, and shear, up to 4 million pairs would be purchased each day.

SU News

IU5YCYIY5BHKLDLBCBH2PMQTS4.jpg

ATLANTA, GA JANUARY 26: Florida State center Naheem McLeod (24) shoots a free throw during the ACC college basketball game between the Florida State Seminoles and the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on January 26th, 2022 at Hank McCamish Pavilion in Atlanta, GA. (Photo by Rich von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Florida State transfer Naheem McLeod, who recently visited Syracuse, sets commitment date (PS; Waters)

Naheem McLeod, a 7-foot-4 center who is transferring after two years at Florida State, has set his commitment date. McLeod announced on his Twitter page that he would announce his next college destination on Tuesday.

Tuesday is the day
— Naheem Bigduke McLeod ✝️ (@boogienah_10) May 14, 2023

In his two years at Florida State, McLeod earned 16 starts, including 11 this past season despite battling some injuries. He recorded an astounding 1.2 blocks per game despite logging barely over 13 minutes per game.

McLeod recently took an official visit to Syracuse.

After entering the NCAA’s transfer portal, McLeod immediately heard from dozens of interested schools. The list included Syracuse, Mississippi State, Villanova, Gonzaga, Arizona, Clemson, South Carolina, Wake Forest, Texas, West Virginia, Georgetown, Memphis, Pittsburgh, Butler, Minnesota, Rutgers and Temple.

The 255-pound McLeod is a massive interior presence and a potential answer for the departure of Syracuse’s starting center Jesse Edwards, who transferred to West Virginia last month.

A Philadelphia native, McLeod attended Plymouth Whitemarsh High School in Plymouth Meeting, Pa. Before going to Florida State, McLeod spent one year at Chipola College in Marianna, Fla.

Syracuse Basketball: Top showings by 4-star, 5-star targets in Nike’s EYBL (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball four-star and five-star recruits in the 2024 and 2025 classes suited up on the AAU circuit this past weekend, and these targets put forth some nice outings.

From Friday to Sunday, Nike’s EYBL league held its third spring session at the Southwest Athletic Center in Carrollton, Texas.

Courtesy of the EYBL Web site, we’re providing statistics for these various Orange recruits. All of the prospects noted here hold scholarship offers from the ‘Cuse, although one player noted below, 2024 four-star big man Donnie Freeman, gave a verbal commitment to Syracuse basketball last week.

Let’s review how Syracuse basketball targets fared in the latest EYBL session.

17U Division

Jalil Bethea

The 6-foot-4 Bethea is a four-star combo guard in the 2024 cycle who attends Archbishop Wood Catholic High School in Warminster, Pa., and runs with the Philadelphia-based Team Final.

Game One: 32 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block
Game Two: 11 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals
Game Three: 14 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
Game Four: 23 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal

Caleb Williams
The 6-foot-7 Williams is a four-star wing in the 2024 class from the Sidwell Friends School in Washington, D.C., and the Washington-based Team Takeover.

Syracuse Basketball: 5-star Baltimore PG has visits in mind, including SU (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball is among several schools that 2025 five-star point guard Tyler Jackson from Baltimore wants to visit at some point, he said in a recent interview.

In late April, the Orange coaching staff offered a scholarship to the 6-foot-3 Jackson, who is a top-10 national prospect and the No. 1 point guard in the sophomore cycle, according to ESPN.

Jackson had a strong 2022-23 season for the Saint Frances Academy in Baltimore, and so far on the AAU circuit this spring, he has earned high praise from national analysts and scouts for his play.

Your 16U Spring Champs, @TeamThrillUAA #uanext pic.twitter.com/QYhgjODREy
— Boys UAA (@UANextBHoops) April 30, 2023

In grassroots basketball, Jackson suits up for the Baltimore-based Team Thrill in the Under Armour Association league.

Amid NCAA live periods toward the end of April, he helped guide Team Thrill to the Under Armour Association’s 16U spring championship.

Syracuse basketball recently offered 2025 five-star point guard Tyler Jackson.

In an interview with On3 national analyst Jamie Shaw, Jackson said that he’s hearing a lot these days from the Orange, Maryland and Alabama. He added, “Oregon has been watching me a lot recently. When I start going on visits, I definitely want to set visits up with those four.”

Syracuse Basketball: 7-foot-4 transfer center to decide, ‘Cuse in great spot (itlh; Adler)

Florida State big-man transfer Naheem McLeod says he’s ready to make his commitment announcement in the near future, and I believe that Syracuse basketball has an excellent shot to prevail for him.

McLeod, a 7-foot-4 sophomore center from fellow Atlantic Coast Conference member Florida State, took an official visit to the Hill last weekend. In interviews following that trip, he had a lot of positive things to say about his official visit, the ‘Cuse coaching staff, the Orange’s 2023-24 roster, and the JMA Wireless Dome, among other things.

When McLeod entered the NCAA’s transfer portal, he said that Syracuse basketball was one of the first schools to reach out to him. He has also said that the Orange coaching staff has been watching him since his early playing days in high school.

What we thinking Syracuse pic.twitter.com/Gp3ig13TN0
— Naheem Bigduke McLeod (@boogienah_10) May 6, 2023

On Saturday, McLeod sent out a tweet that he would be “committing next week.” Media reports had said that he was planning to take an official visit to Southeastern Conference member Mississippi State, but I don’t believe that trip occurred.

Syracuse basketball will know in the coming days whether it has landed FSU transfer center Naheem McLeod.

Additionally, he had recently said via his Twitter page that he was planning to reveal a top five soon, but I have yet to see that list. So to me, if McLeod is going to announce with having only officially visited the Orange, I’d honestly be surprised if the ‘Cuse wasn’t the choice when he revealed his future college decision.

I’d like to add here, though, that I don’t have any inside intel on McLeod’s recruiting process. This is just my personal take here given all of the circumstances surrounding his recruitment.

Committing next week
— Naheem Bigduke McLeod (@boogienah_10) May 14, 2023

When I wrote this column on Sunday morning, I didn’t see any analyst predictions for McLeod between the 247Sports Web site, and the On3 Web site.

In the 2022-23 stanza for the Seminoles, the Philadelphia native played in 28 games, averaging 13.1 minutes, 3.8 points, 2.7 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per contest, while hitting on 54.7 percent from the field.

Syracuse basketball coaches are looking to potentially bring on board another center for the upcoming 2023-24 campaign, given the departure of senior Jesse Edwards to West Virginia. The Orange has three centers on its roster for next season, but they are all inexperienced.

This off-season, per reports, ‘Cuse coaches have reached out to numerous centers, whether those in the transfer portal or high-school prospects. That list has reportedly included Michigan junior Hunter Dickinson, who held a Zoom meeting with the Orange but ultimately committed to Kansas, which won the 2022 NCAA Tournament.

Among other center prospects, Syracuse basketball also reportedly reached out to 2023 four-star big man Papa Kante, who requested a release from his national letter of intent to Michigan and reopened his recruitment.

Autry is Cleaning the Cobwebs From SU Basketball (orangefizz.net; Amendolara)

It’s impolite to take shots at a legend who is no longer on the sidelines. Jim Boeheim single-handedly built Syracuse into a national brand, and made basketball the signature program at his alma mater. There is plenty of appreciation for that. This piece is focused more on the new regime, and the early returns on the new era appears to have suddenly freshened up everything, like a cleaning service called in to gut a hoarder’s home. Adrian Autry is cleaning up Syracuse’s cobwebs and recruiting is evolving.

Donnie Freeman’s commitment is yet another huge victory for Autry, and his explanation of why he chose SU is even more eye-opening. Here’s the punch list for SU since Boeheim retired:

• JJ Starling commitment (5th overall transfer prospect via 247 Sports).
  • Chance Westry commitment (44th overall high school prospect).
  • Donnie Freeman commits (32nd overall high school prospect).
  • Freeman says Autry is tossing the zone
Those are some big bullet points. Starling famously grew up in Baldwinsville, in the shadows of the Carrier Dome, and decided to attend Notre Dame. As detailed here at the Fizz, there were probably a few Irish-related dynamics in play, but clearly something changed about SU when Autry was promoted to head coach.

The Freeman quote carries even more weight, though.

“They told me they will be dropping out of the zone and we’ll see more man principles. This style of play fits me perfectly because I get to show my athleticism, agility, and things like that. No knock on the zone, but man will help me showcase my game better.”
– Donnie Freeman

Well damn, that’s one way to shake things up. Autry is telling players they will evolve away from the identity that made SU for 45 years. He is marketing to a long, rangy, 6’9″ power forward is going to be tasked with actually defending another player, instead of stationary inside an imaginary box. Interestingly, Freeman says the staff told him they’d be getting “back to the tradition Syracuse has had in the past.” Wherever the thinking stems from, it’s a massive step forward for a program that had calcified in recent years.

Keeping Up With The 315 5-12-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins concludes the week by discussing the Donnie Freeman commitment and what it means for new head coach Adrian Autry to land his first exclusive high school recruit. Next, Pat in Syracuse calls in to discuss Syracuse recruiting. Finally, Brian let’s Chat GPT take over the show for a segment and things go about as you’d expect.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: Cuse Football Gets A QB In The Portal + Judah Mintz Draft Buzz on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Cuse Football Gets A QB In The Portal + Judah Mintz Draft Buzz

Other

15040_1262_banner.jpg

Adam Weitsman, partner buy 150-acre golf course down the road from Micron’s planned fab (PS; Coin)

Billionaire scrap dealer Adam Weitsman and a partner have bought a 150-acre golf course about seven miles north of Micron Technology’s planned semiconductor manufacturing plant in Clay.

Jeff Knauss said he and Weitsman have no specific plans for the land, in the Oswego County town of Hastings, but said it would likely provide housing or business space as Micron opens and grows.

“We know that there’s going to be a big need for everything -- housing, industrial, support for Micron, lots of things,” Knauss said. “Micron is going to be huge for all of us in Central New York, and we really just wanted to be a part of it.”

Knauss declined to reveal the purchase price.

The former Caughdenoy Links Golf Course, which Knauss said shut down for good last year, is on County Route 33. It’s a straight, seven-mile shot to the site of the planned Micron fabrication plant, or fab, in neighboring Clay.

Micron plans to build the fab at the corner of Caughdenoy Road and Route 31. Construction is expected to start next year, with chip production beginning in 2026.

At full buildout, in 20 years, the fab could employ 9,000 workers and generate 40,000 spinoff jobs, Micron has said. Officials in both Onondaga and Oswego counties say there will be a huge demand for housing for workers and industrial space for Micron contractors.

Knauss and Weitsman have done business before. In 2021, they co-founded Profound, an invitation-only club focused on business networking that cost members as much as $16,000 a year when it launched.

New $26 million Milton CAT facility in Onondaga County nears completion (PS; Doran)

Work is nearing completion on a $26 million new Milton CAT facility located in Cicero.

Plans to build the Cicero branch were first announced in fall 2020. The 103,000-square-foot facility, which includes covered storage and a demonstration area, is located at 7285 Eastman Road, off Northern Boulevard.

The branch is expected to open this fall, said Dean Swartz, speaking for the company. Construction is actually ahead of schedule, he said.

The 110 workers who work at the Ainsley Drive location will move to the new building, and some new employees will be hired, Swartz said.

The new facility will also serve as the corporate headquarters for Sitech Northeast, a sister company that sells and supports the technology and automation side of Milton’s earthmoving equipment business.

Milton CAT, a family-owned company based in Milford, Mass., sells and services Caterpillar earthmoving machinery and power generation equipment. It has operated a branch on Ainsley Drive in Syracuse for 20 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom