Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
solstice6-1024x576.jpg
Welcome to the Start of Summer!

The summer solstice, also called the estival solstice[7] or midsummer, occurs when one of Earth's poles has its maximum tilt toward the Sun. It happens twice yearly, once in each hemisphere (Northern and Southern). For that hemisphere, the summer solstice is the day with the longest period of daylight and shortest night of the year, when the Sun is at its highest position in the sky. At either pole there is continuous daylight at the time of its summer solstice. The opposite event is the winter solstice.

SU News

Autry to throw out first pitch at New York Yankees game (PS; Waters)

Adrian Autry grew up in Harlem, separated from Yankee Stadium by a river and a few subway stops.

Autry, though, didn’t attend many Yankees games as a kid. In fact, he went to just one game at Yankee Stadium, a trip with one of his AAU coaches.

“We had great seats,’’ Autry said. “I remember being by the dugout. What stood out was how big it was. How far the outfield wall was. I remember the players all seemed big, too. When they stood up on the mound, how fast the pitches were. That stood out to me.’’

On Saturday, Autry will return to Yankee Stadium and walk out to the pitcher’s mound as he throws out the ceremonial first pitch on SU Day in conjunction with Syracuse University’s Alumni Association.

The Yankees are hosting the Texas Rangers in a 4:05 p.m. game on Saturday. Ticket information is available at cusecommunity.syr.edu and is also listed below.

Autry became Syracuse’s head basketball coach in March after longtime coach Jim Boeheim stepped down after 47 years.

Since then, Autry’s schedule has been jammed with recruiting and other head-coaching duties. All of which has left no time to work on his throwing motion.

“I haven’t done any practicing and I need to,’’ Autry said Tuesday. “I don’t want to be on ESPN for falling down or not making it to the plate. I’ve thought about that.’’

Autry is honest in describing his baseball fandom.

“I liked the Yankees,’’ he said. “I’m not a crazy baseball fan, but when I watch baseball, I watch the Yankees.’’

Wildhack on NIL: Syracuse 'in a better place' than 90 days ago (PS; Leiker)

At his end-of-year press conference Tuesday afternoon, Syracuse University athletic director John Wildhack was asked predominantly about a number of topics regarding name, image and likeness.

His most insightful answer came in response to a question on how the university has adjusted in the wake of local businessman Adam Weitsman saying he would no longer pay players through NIL.

Wildhack said other donors have quietly come forward to help players get paid.

“I think we’re in a better place today with NIL than we were 90 days ago,” Wildhack said.

Wildhack said he did not talk with Weitsman before he severed ties with the university.

“He’s been cordial to me; I’ve been cordial to him,” Wildhack said.

The 23-minute press conference was akin to a state-of-the-union for SU athletics and related topics. Wildhack spoke about the first months of new men’s basketball coach Adrian Autry’s tenure and his expectations for Syracuse football this season, as well as lauded the Orange’s academic successes and construction progress for the Lally Athletics Complex and JMA Wireless Dome.

Syracuse Basketball: Priority recruit Jalil Bethea vaults to 5 stars, top 15 (itlh; Adler)

As national analysts and scouts have prognosticated about for a while now, Syracuse basketball 2024 priority recruit Jalil Bethea has moved to five-star status in the rising-senior class.

The 6-foot-4 guard, perhaps the top target for the Orange coaching staff in this cycle, jumped to five stars and No. 15 across the country, according to updated national rankings released by on Tuesday.

Previously, had him at No. 39 overall in the 2024 class. Thus, in this update, Bethea had one of the largest leaps nationwide, increasing his position by 24 placements.

In recent months, as Jalil Bethea received All-America honors in his junior year and has starred in grassroots basketball, recruiting experts opined that he would significantly contend for five stars as recruiting services refreshed their 2024 national ratings.

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 6-20-23 (ESPN; radio; Orange Nation)

Steve Infanti and Jordan Capozzi open the show reacting to the Bob Huggins news from over the weekend and what that means for Jesse Edwards. Then, the guys check in with a familiar caller who leads them down a rabbit hole. Finally, a caller with history with the Syracuse basketball team shares a story that puts the NIL era in perspective.

(youtube.com; radio; Orange Nation)

Boeheim's Army coach and former Syracuse basketball player Ryan Blackwell joins the guys to discuss the roster for this year's team, his thoughts on the recipe to a deep run in TBT and how excited he is for the new era of Syracuse Basketball with Red Autry as the Head Coach

Other

YHRKGMRLSNCKVIAIBKWPPWGUXI.jpg

Syracuse Common Councilor Jen Schultz, holding papers, blocked the scheduled vote today on ReZone Syracuse, a comprehensive rewrite of city zoning codes. Another vote is scheduled Friday.

Lawmaker blocks vote on ReZone Syracuse, but another vote is on for Friday (PS; Knauss)

The years-long wait for new zoning rules in Syracuse got a few days longer Tuesday after a city councilor blocked a scheduled vote on the legislation despite pleas from her fellow lawmakers to pass it.

Councilor Jen Schultz, who represents the first district on the North Side, objected to the legislation before a vote could be held, a procedural maneuver that delays the vote at least until the council’s next meeting.

Council President Helen Hudson responded by quickly scheduling another meeting to take the vote. Hudson put out a notice this afternoon that the council will meet at 2:30 p.m. Friday to take up the legislation. The council has to give a minimum of three days’ notice before a meeting.

Supporters of the new zoning law, led by Councilor Pat Hogan, chairman of the economic development committee, said there is no question the new zoning ordinance will be enacted Friday, regardless of how Schultz votes.

The ordinance, dubbed ReZone Syracuse, is scheduled to take effect July 1.

ReZone, which has been under development for six years, is expected to spur development of affordable housing and encourage livelier neighborhood business corridors. It is the first comprehensive rewrite of city zoning codes in six decades.