Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Sylvester-Graham.jpg
Welcome to Graham Cracker Day!

Whether being used to make s'mores or pie, eaten in breakfast cereal or in the shape of teddy bears, or enjoyed right out of the box, Graham crackers are a ubiquitous snack food that you likely remember eating since you were a child. While the cookie-like food is usually enjoyed as a snack, this wasn't always the case.

Reverend Sylvester Graham, a Presbyterian minister from Bound Brook, New Jersey, developed the graham cracker in the 1820s. He designed it to be a health food that was part of his "Graham Diet"—a diet he believed would eliminate lust and suppress all carnal urges, which he thought led to various maladies like insanity, epilepsy, spinal disease, and tuberculosis, and to everyday ailments like headaches and indigestion. His diet was vegetarian and also required abstaining from alcohol, tobacco, and refined white flour. His graham crackers were made with graham flour, a coarsely ground and unsifted whole-wheat flour. The flour is brown and slightly nutty and sweet, and Graham used it to make graham bread and graham crackers. The crackers were biscuit-like and somewhat bland, as they didn't include any spices or sugar.

SU News

Brenden Straughn: Syracuse assistant’s hire was ‘worst-kept secret’ at Final Four (podcast) (PS; podcast; Waters)

When Brenden Straughn’s hiring as Syracuse’s newest assistant basketball coach, he was at the Final Four in Houston with no SU gear to wear.

Straughn described his hiring process; along with his wardrobe situation, along with several other insider stories during an appearance on the Inside Syracuse Basketball podcast with Syracuse.com reporter Mike Waters.

Before becoming new Syracuse head coach Adrian Autry’s first hire, Straughn was an assistant at George Washington. Prior to that, Straughn, who grew up just outside of Washington D.C. in New Carrolton, Md., worked as Loyola (Md.) in Baltimore and St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia.

An accounting major in college, Straughn recounts his path to coaching in the podcast and the advice his mentors gave him. Straughn also talks about the Syracuse-Georgetown rivalry and which game he attended.

Straughn will have plenty of Syracuse gear to wear this coming week as he and the rest of the SU coaching staff hit the recruiting trail in one of the biggest recruiting evaluation periods of the summer, including the prestigious Peach Jam event in North Augusta, S.C.

With that in mind, Straughn is also asked what Syracuse fans can expect in recruiting.

What Would 2024 Five-Star Jalil Bethea Mean to Syracuse? (orangefizz.net; Gotkin)

The 2024 recruiting class for Syracuse Men’s Basketball is already shaping up to be one of the best in a long time. With Donnie Freeman and Elijah Moore, both committed, Adrien Autry and co. could get a head start and focus on the 2025 class. However, plenty of fish in the pond remain in the class of 24.

One of the biggest fish out there is long-time target, Jalil Bethea. The 6’4 shooting guard has catapulted up the rankings in the past few months. Bethea is now the 9th-ranked player in the class of 2024 by ESPN, while both On3 and Rivals also have him in the top-15. 247Sports puts Bethea just behind at 18.

In a recent interview with On3’s Jamie Shaw, the five-star mentioned how much interest he’s getting from the Syracuse staff. Bethea had taken just two visits at the time of the interview, hometown Temple and a trip to the 315.

“I have a great relationship with the staff at Syracuse,” Bethea said. “Even though Boeheim left, that doesn’t matter because Gerry McNamara and Coach Autry are both there. They both hit me up and call me almost every day. They care about me a lot, and they let it be known they want me to go there, and I am a top priority for them.”
Jalil Bethea in an interview with On3

Bethea said that he plans to take visits to both Kansas and Miami after Peach Jam, the most prestigious high school basketball event which will take place from July 3rd-9th. In terms of when Bethea plans to commit, he said he is eying September however will take his time.

Syracuse Basketball: Baltimore recruit will visit, moves to 5 stars, No. 1 PG (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2025 priority recruit Tyler Jackson, who plans to officially visit the Hill in the future, continues to ascend in the national rankings for his class.

ESPN previously had the 6-foot-3 Jackson as a five-star prospect in the rising-junior class, but now other recruiting services have anointed him a fifth star as well, including one of the composite-rating systems.

As I opined not too long ago, the Baltimore native is making a solid case to contend for the No. 1 national ranking in his cycle.

The Orange coaching staff offered a scholarship to Jackson in late April. Per multiple interviews that he’s given lately, the ‘Cuse is prioritizing Jackson in the 2025 class. He is good friends with another top 2025 target for Syracuse basketball coaches, four-star shooting guard Kiyan Anthony, who is the son of ‘Cuse legend Carmelo Anthony.

Syracuse Basketball: ESPN has disrespected 4-star commit Elijah Moore (itlh; Adler)

I simply don’t get how Syracuse basketball commit Elijah Moore from New York City isn’t included in the latest 2024 national rankings from ESPN.

I mean no disrespect to ESPN and its recruiting director, Paul Biancardi. I’m a big fan of Paul. But in recent days, ESPN updated national ratings of the top-100 prospects in the rising-senior class, and the 6-foot-4 Moore wasn’t included.

ESPN does have him as four stars, with a scout grade of 80. The No. 100 player in ESPN’s 2024 rankings has a scout grade of 82, so perhaps Moore just missed the cut in these ratings.

ESPN also ranks Elijah Moore as the No. 33 shooting guard across the country in this cycle. That, to me, is comical. While I’m not a recruiting analyst or a scout, there aren’t 32 shooting guards better than Moore in the 2024 class.

In fact, as I’ve followed Moore’s recruitment and play for a long while now, I’ve seen numerous experts opine that he is one of the top shooting guards nationwide in his cycle.

Nikola-Bundalo-scaled.jpg
prephoops.com

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star big-man recruit makes massive rankings jump (itlh; Adler)

Recruiting analysts and scouts were prognosticating that Syracuse basketball target Nikola Bundalo was going to make a huge entrance into the 2025 national rankings, and those experts proved spot on.

Several recruiting services, of late, have updated their national ratings for the rising-junior class, and the 6-foot-9 power forward has experienced some of the largest ranking climbs across the entire country.

In fact, according to 247Sports, the four-star Bundalo has vaulted into the top 25 overall after previously being unranked. At this rate, he’s likely going to end up contending for five-star status in his class.

The Orange coaching staff offered a scholarship to Bundalo in May. His offer sheet continues to grow, and the ‘Cuse will face tough competition to prevail in his recruitment.

SIMEYCYJXNGI3EQX4RVBVM34JU.jpg

Indiana Pacers' Oshae Brissett (12) reacts during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Brooklyn Nets at the Barclays Center, Sunday, Apr. 10, 2022, in New York. The Nets defeated the Pacers 134-126. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig) AP

Brissett signs 2-year deal with Boston Celtics (report) (PS; Terada)

The Boston Celtics have agreed to their first signing of free agency a few hours into the negotiation period.

The Celtics have agreed to a two-year deal with former Syracuse basketball forward Oshae Brissett, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. The second year of the deal is a player option.

Considering the Celtics had limited options in free agency, they weren’t expected to make a huge splash. They already made a significant deal last week when they traded for Kristaps Porzingis.

In free agency, the C’s were likely to bolster the depth of their roster and bring in some more competition. That’s a guy like Brissett, 25, who has played in 172 games in his NBA career.

Brissett went undrafted in 2019 before signing a two-year deal with his hometown Raptors.

After getting waived by Toronto, Brissett carved out a role with the Indiana Pacers for the last three seasons after originally signing a pair of 10-day contracts with the team. In his career, Brissett has averaged 7.4 points per game.

Report: Syracuse Transfer Jesse Edwards to Stay at West Virginia (wvsportsnow.com; Bock)

Incoming transfer Jesse Edwards tells CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein that he is staying at West Virginia after the coaching change. Edwards committed to WVU back in April.

“Goin’ nowhere. Time to make this a special year. Let’s go to work for this staff, this team and this place. Let’s go WV,” Edwards wrote on Twitter.

Goin’ Nowhere. Time to make this a special year. Lets go to work for this staff, this team and this place. Let’s go WV pic.twitter.com/qlhEG0c7Ms
— Jesse Edwards (@jesseedwards_14) July 2, 2023

Other

WIVKAOSRPNDRFPNOYRDX3XJQCA.jpg

Sarah Simiele, the owner of the Curd Nerd in Eastwood, won the national Cheesemonger Invitational this week. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Her cheese stands alone: Syracuse shop owner named top cheesemonger in America (PS; Miller)

Thanks to Sarah Simiele and her over-the-top wisdom of cheese, Central New York will now have access to some of the hardest-to-get curds.

Simiele owns the Curd Nerd, a quaint fromagerie at the corner of James Street and Collingwood Avenue in Syracuse’s Eastwood section. Last week she won the annual Cheesemonger Invitational in Brooklyn, pretty much the largest who’s who of the cheese industry. She competed against 37 other cheese purveyors from throughout the country before edging out a Colorado shop owner in a rind-biting tiebreaker to claim the gold-colored trophy with a cow on top.

“People are clamoring to get their cheese here now,” she said while wrapping a .17-pound wedge of Pleasant Ridge Reserve for a customer. “We’ll now get cheeses that are allocated, cheeses you can’t get in most places. When I opened this shop (in March 2022), if you told me I was ever going to get allocated cheese, I would’ve told you that you were crazy. This is so cool.”

She earned the right to sell such exclusive dairy.

Over eight hours last Sunday, she and her fellow cheese dealers completed a battery of cheese-mongering speed-tests. It started with a 30-question multiple-choice exam. (She earned the highest score.) They blindly tasted cheese and guessed the country of origin, the name, style and the milk type (cow, sheep, goat or buffalo). They had 45 seconds to neatly wrap two wedges in cheesepaper. They had 45 seconds to re-wrap a quarter-wheel and a half-wheel in plastic. They had to guess six aromas, from apples to freshly cut grass.

Sylvester-Graham.jpg
Welcome to Graham Cracker Day!

Whether being used to make s'mores or pie, eaten in breakfast cereal or in the shape of teddy bears, or enjoyed right out of the box, Graham crackers are a ubiquitous snack food that you likely remember eating since you were a child. While the cookie-like food is usually enjoyed as a snack, this wasn't always the case.

Reverend Sylvester Graham, a Presbyterian minister from Bound Brook, New Jersey, developed the graham cracker in the 1820s. He designed it to be a health food that was part of his "Graham Diet"—a diet he believed would eliminate lust and suppress all carnal urges, which he thought led to various maladies like insanity, epilepsy, spinal disease, and tuberculosis, and to everyday ailments like headaches and indigestion. His diet was vegetarian and also required abstaining from alcohol, tobacco, and refined white flour. His graham crackers were made with graham flour, a coarsely ground and unsifted whole-wheat flour. The flour is brown and slightly nutty and sweet, and Graham used it to make graham bread and graham crackers. The crackers were biscuit-like and somewhat bland, as they didn't include any spices or sugar.

SU News

Brenden Straughn: Syracuse assistant’s hire was ‘worst-kept secret’ at Final Four (podcast) (PS; podcast; Waters)

When Brenden Straughn’s hiring as Syracuse’s newest assistant basketball coach, he was at the Final Four in Houston with no SU gear to wear.

Straughn described his hiring process; along with his wardrobe situation, along with several other insider stories during an appearance on the Inside Syracuse Basketball podcast with Syracuse.com reporter Mike Waters.

Before becoming new Syracuse head coach Adrian Autry’s first hire, Straughn was an assistant at George Washington. Prior to that, Straughn, who grew up just outside of Washington D.C. in New Carrolton, Md., worked as Loyola (Md.) in Baltimore and St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia.

An accounting major in college, Straughn recounts his path to coaching in the podcast and the advice his mentors gave him. Straughn also talks about the Syracuse-Georgetown rivalry and which game he attended.

Straughn will have plenty of Syracuse gear to wear this coming week as he and the rest of the SU coaching staff hit the recruiting trail in one of the biggest recruiting evaluation periods of the summer, including the prestigious Peach Jam event in North Augusta, S.C.

With that in mind, Straughn is also asked what Syracuse fans can expect in recruiting.

What Would 2024 Five-Star Jalil Bethea Mean to Syracuse? (orangefizz.net; Gotkin)

The 2024 recruiting class for Syracuse Men’s Basketball is already shaping up to be one of the best in a long time. With Donnie Freeman and Elijah Moore, both committed, Adrien Autry and co. could get a head start and focus on the 2025 class. However, plenty of fish in the pond remain in the class of 24.

One of the biggest fish out there is long-time target, Jalil Bethea. The 6’4 shooting guard has catapulted up the rankings in the past few months. Bethea is now the 9th-ranked player in the class of 2024 by ESPN, while both On3 and Rivals also have him in the top-15. 247Sports puts Bethea just behind at 18.

In a recent interview with On3’s Jamie Shaw, the five-star mentioned how much interest he’s getting from the Syracuse staff. Bethea had taken just two visits at the time of the interview, hometown Temple and a trip to the 315.

Bethea said that he plans to take visits to both Kansas and Miami after Peach Jam, the most prestigious high school basketball event which will take place from July 3rd-9th. In terms of when Bethea plans to commit, he said he is eying September however will take his time.

Syracuse Basketball: Baltimore recruit will visit, moves to 5 stars, No. 1 PG (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2025 priority recruit Tyler Jackson, who plans to officially visit the Hill in the future, continues to ascend in the national rankings for his class.

ESPN previously had the 6-foot-3 Jackson as a five-star prospect in the rising-junior class, but now other recruiting services have anointed him a fifth star as well, including one of the composite-rating systems.

As I opined not too long ago, the Baltimore native is making a solid case to contend for the No. 1 national ranking in his cycle.

The Orange coaching staff offered a scholarship to Jackson in late April. Per multiple interviews that he’s given lately, the ‘Cuse is prioritizing Jackson in the 2025 class. He is good friends with another top 2025 target for Syracuse basketball coaches, four-star shooting guard Kiyan Anthony, who is the son of ‘Cuse legend Carmelo Anthony.

Syracuse Basketball: ESPN has disrespected 4-star commit Elijah Moore (itlh; Adler)

I simply don’t get how Syracuse basketball commit Elijah Moore from New York City isn’t included in the latest 2024 national rankings from ESPN.

I mean no disrespect to ESPN and its recruiting director, Paul Biancardi. I’m a big fan of Paul. But in recent days, ESPN updated national ratings of the top-100 prospects in the rising-senior class, and the 6-foot-4 Moore wasn’t included.

ESPN does have him as four stars, with a scout grade of 80. The No. 100 player in ESPN’s 2024 rankings has a scout grade of 82, so perhaps Moore just missed the cut in these ratings.

ESPN also ranks Elijah Moore as the No. 33 shooting guard across the country in this cycle. That, to me, is comical. While I’m not a recruiting analyst or a scout, there aren’t 32 shooting guards better than Moore in the 2024 class.

In fact, as I’ve followed Moore’s recruitment and play for a long while now, I’ve seen numerous experts opine that he is one of the top shooting guards nationwide in his cycle.

Nikola-Bundalo-scaled.jpg
prephoops.com

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star big-man recruit makes massive rankings jump (itlh; Adler)

Recruiting analysts and scouts were prognosticating that Syracuse basketball target Nikola Bundalo was going to make a huge entrance into the 2025 national rankings, and those experts proved spot on.

Several recruiting services, of late, have updated their national ratings for the rising-junior class, and the 6-foot-9 power forward has experienced some of the largest ranking climbs across the entire country.

In fact, according to 247Sports, the four-star Bundalo has vaulted into the top 25 overall after previously being unranked. At this rate, he’s likely going to end up contending for five-star status in his class.

The Orange coaching staff offered a scholarship to Bundalo in May. His offer sheet continues to grow, and the ‘Cuse will face tough competition to prevail in his recruitment.

SIMEYCYJXNGI3EQX4RVBVM34JU.jpg

Indiana Pacers' Oshae Brissett (12) reacts during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Brooklyn Nets at the Barclays Center, Sunday, Apr. 10, 2022, in New York. The Nets defeated the Pacers 134-126. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig) AP

Brissett signs 2-year deal with Boston Celtics (report) (PS; Terada)

The Boston Celtics have agreed to their first signing of free agency a few hours into the negotiation period.

The Celtics have agreed to a two-year deal with former Syracuse basketball forward Oshae Brissett, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski. The second year of the deal is a player option.

Considering the Celtics had limited options in free agency, they weren’t expected to make a huge splash. They already made a significant deal last week when they traded for Kristaps Porzingis.

In free agency, the C’s were likely to bolster the depth of their roster and bring in some more competition. That’s a guy like Brissett, 25, who has played in 172 games in his NBA career.

Brissett went undrafted in 2019 before signing a two-year deal with his hometown Raptors.

After getting waived by Toronto, Brissett carved out a role with the Indiana Pacers for the last three seasons after originally signing a pair of 10-day contracts with the team. In his career, Brissett has averaged 7.4 points per game.

Report: Syracuse Transfer Jesse Edwards to Stay at West Virginia (wvsportsnow.com; Bock)

Incoming transfer Jesse Edwards tells CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein that he is staying at West Virginia after the coaching change. Edwards committed to WVU back in April.

“Goin’ nowhere. Time to make this a special year. Let’s go to work for this staff, this team and this place. Let’s go WV,” Edwards wrote on Twitter.

Other

WIVKAOSRPNDRFPNOYRDX3XJQCA.jpg

Sarah Simiele, the owner of the Curd Nerd in Eastwood, won the national Cheesemonger Invitational this week. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Her cheese stands alone: Syracuse shop owner named top cheesemonger in America (PS; Miller)

Thanks to Sarah Simiele and her over-the-top wisdom of cheese, Central New York will now have access to some of the hardest-to-get curds.

Simiele owns the Curd Nerd, a quaint fromagerie at the corner of James Street and Collingwood Avenue in Syracuse’s Eastwood section. Last week she won the annual Cheesemonger Invitational in Brooklyn, pretty much the largest who’s who of the cheese industry. She competed against 37 other cheese purveyors from throughout the country before edging out a Colorado shop owner in a rind-biting tiebreaker to claim the gold-colored trophy with a cow on top.

“People are clamoring to get their cheese here now,” she said while wrapping a .17-pound wedge of Pleasant Ridge Reserve for a customer. “We’ll now get cheeses that are allocated, cheeses you can’t get in most places. When I opened this shop (in March 2022), if you told me I was ever going to get allocated cheese, I would’ve told you that you were crazy. This is so cool.”

She earned the right to sell such exclusive dairy.

Over eight hours last Sunday, she and her fellow cheese dealers completed a battery of cheese-mongering speed-tests. It started with a 30-question multiple-choice exam. (She earned the highest score.) They blindly tasted cheese and guessed the country of origin, the name, style and the milk type (cow, sheep, goat or buffalo). They had 45 seconds to neatly wrap two wedges in cheesepaper. They had 45 seconds to re-wrap a quarter-wheel and a half-wheel in plastic. They had to guess six aromas, from apples to freshly cut grass.
I've never been a cheese person as I am lactose intolerant but that was pretty impressive. Congrats to her.