Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Fried-Rice-Feature-1-782x440.jpg
Welcome to National Fried Rice Day!

Created by Benihana, "the nation's leading operator of Japanese-inspired Teppanyaki and Sushi Restaurants," whose signature dish is fried rice, National Fried Rice Day is observed today. In 2018, in honor of the first observance, two Benihana chefs—Andrey Shek of the 56th Street location in Midtown Manhattan, New York City, and Raymundo Mendez of the Hancock Tower location on Michigan Avenue in Chicago—grilled the restaurant's fried rice for 42 hours and 17 minutes straight, breaking the Guinness World Record for Longest cooking marathon. As part of the event, Benihana partnered with Feeding America and donated the fried rice to City Harvest, New York City's largest food rescue organization, and to Cornerstone Community Outreach, a Chicago organization which serves about 500 people a day. More than 550 servings of fried rice were donated to each location.

SU News

Autry has a lot of guards, and several might play together: ‘I’m open to everything’ (PS; $; Waters)

When JJ Starling decided to transfer from Notre Dame to Syracuse, he did not consider whether Joe Girard or Judah Mintz would return to the Orange or whether new SU head coach Adrian Autry would reel in other touted guard prospects from the transfer portal.

The absence or presence of any of those players, Starling said, would not affect the way he approached the 2023-24 college basketball season.

“I knew what Coach Autry was going to do,” Starling said. “He wanted to bring great players into the program so we could have a shot at doing something big. For me, my role doesn’t change from what I had at Notre Dame. Maybe it grows with my confidence. But it’s still the same. I still approach every day the same way. I’m still going to be that scoring, playmaking guard. I’m going to step it up defensively, too, because I know that’s what this team needs.”

Starling spoke with a Syracuse reporter last week for a story that described his transition from a Notre Dame freshman to a Syracuse sophomore. During that conversation, Starling discussed how practices were going now that he’s on campus with Mintz, in particular, and with fellow guard transfers Chance Westry and Kyle Cuffe, Jr.

SU sophomores Justin Taylor and Quadir Copeland spent time at small forward last year, but both have backgrounds as high school guards.

F5jLwIMXwAAy4HW.jpeg

Syracuse's Guards Set the Scene for 2023-24 Season (orangefizz.net; Frank)

Heading into the first season of the Adrian Autry era at Syracuse, there are a decent number of changes with the roster, but none that shook the foundation and caused major concern. Jesse Edwards leaving for West Virginia for NIL reasons was the biggest loss, but the Orange snagged Naheem McLeod from Florida State out of the portal to fill that void.

But, the leaders of Syracuse in 2023-24 will come from the guard position, and the guys that will play the majority of the minutes are Judah Mintz and J.J. Starling. Both were highly touted prospects in the class of 2022, and Mintz had an outstanding freshman season at SU before taking his name out of the NBA Draft at the last minute. Starling attended Notre Dame and entered the transfer portal after the season with the coaching change that occurred in South Bend. Both are poised to take steps forward individually and within the team and lead Syracuse back to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2021.

“I mean the goal wasn’t to come here and not make a tournament,’’ Mintz told syracuse.com. “I don’t want to get out of here without being in the Big Dance and making some noise. So that’s our goal.’’

I had a long chat with Syracuse guard Judah Mintz about his return for his sophomore year, his thoughts on this year’s team, and his goals. https://t.co/y9N1X4QFGs
— Mike Waters (@MikeWatersSYR) September 18, 2023

Mintz was at his best in the open floor last season, pushing the ball up the court and finishing in transition or drawing contact. That compliments Starling very well, who can take some ball-handling duties away from Mintz and lead the offense at times according to Autry.

“He’s really good with the ball,” Autry said to syracuse.com. “His passing, I think, was always underrated. And he has a very high IQ. We have a lot of talent on this team and he can still impact the game, impact the scrimmages, impact the practices sometimes without even scoring a basket.”

The Juice Online - A look at Syracuse basketball's 2026 recruits (r1vals.com; Tramdaks)

While Syracuse basketball looks to wrap up its 2024 class, it has already been active in the 2025 and 2026 classes.
Here are some prospects the Orange has already jumped on in the 2026 class...

- NATL
- ST
- POS
NEIKO MUNDEY

6'3" | 165 LBS | PG | 2026
GOOD COUNSEL
OLNEY, MD
N/A

A top tier point guard out of Maryland, Neiko Mundey, was recently offered by Syracuse. The 3-star out of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School in Maryland has a tight handle and a wicked spin move.

Mundey is not afraid to go straight in the chest of a defender and finish right through them. The point guard has nice vision and finds his centers in the low post with ease.

Mundey is not currently ranked in the Rivals top 65, but it won't be long before he gets a top ranking in the class.
He's also received offers from Florida State, Eastern Carolina, Townson, and Old Dominion.

NATL
- ST
-
POS
DERON
RIPPEY, JR.

6'2" | 160 LBS | PG | 2026
BLAIR ACADEMY
BLAIRTOWN, NJ
N/A

4-star point guard Derron Rippey Jr. is a unique talent. As a six-footer from Blair Academy in New Jersey, what he lacks in height, he makes up for in IQ.

On defense he always has his head on swivel and finds ways to get into passing lanes which allows him to pick up a handful of multiple steal games in a season.

With an impressive vertical to match, he can spring up to the point where he nearly grazes the top of the glass to swat away shots. Right now, Rippey sits as the 26th recruit in the class.

Alongside Syracuse, Rippey has gotten offers from Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas A&M, St. Johns, among others.

MBB: 2022 Attendance (RX; HM)

MBB: 2022 Attendance

The ACC has promised to release the 2023-24 ACC Men's Basketball schedule next week, on the 26th of September (note: the first non-conference basketball games are already scheduled for Monday, Nov. 6, 2023 -- just 41 days later).

Anyway, to start getting you ready for ACC basketball season, here's a graph of men's basketball 2022 average home attendance...
Statistic: NCAA division I men's basketball average attendance by team in 2022 | Statista...

Other

DWNSWIQ7XVERBEX4DIF54UOSDM.jpg

Bri and Jake Lastrina, owners of SinBun in Syracuse. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Ghost kitchen that routinely sold out of unique cinnamon buns opening downtown Syracuse cafe (PS; Miller)

What started as a ghost kitchen turning dressed-up cinnamon buns into sweet or savory meals has become so popular that it’s becoming a standalone bakery in a downtown office building.

Sin Bun will open a “limited service kitchen” in the Wildflowers Armory level of the Mercantile Building at the corner of South Salina and Fayette streets in downtown Syracuse. It will fill the last vacant storefront in the basement level. The upper floors of the McCarthy Mercantile Building are home to law offices, the state Health Department office and a Jamaican restaurant.

Sin Bun opened in the Salt City Test Kitchen on North Salina Street last December. Owners Bri and Jake Lastrina started with their version of a basic cinnamon bun and other sugary varieties. Because Bri doesn’t like sweets, they experimented and figured out a way to turn that dessert into a meal that would replace a Philly cheesesteak sandwich or pizza.

Within a few weeks of their soft opening, owners Bri and Jake Lastrina routinely sold out of everything they made. That lasted through their successful run at the Taste of Syracuse festival in June. They’ve since been selling out at pop-up events and private parties.

“We knew we would eventually have to expand, but this happened sooner than we thought,” Bri said on Monday. “It’s a good problem to have. So here we are opening up our own store.”

The downtown location is 650 square feet and will have an open kitchen so customers will be able to see Bri and Jake making their order. They’ll offer locally roasted coffee and have seating available in the common area outside the shop.

New national clothing retailer opens at Destiny USA (PS; $; Doran)

A new national retail store specializing in selling junior women’s clothing is now open at Destiny USA.

Dry Goods USA, a subsidiary of Von Maur Department Store, has opened in a 3,400-square-foot space on the mall’s second level in the center atrium.

The store sells women’s clothing, jewelry and accessories.

The first Von Maur Dry Goods store was founded back in 1872 in Iowa. In 2010, Von Maur revived the brand, opening the first Dry Goods store in Illinois. There are now more than 70 Dry Goods stores in 19 states.

Other locations in New York are in Buffalo and Rochester; a new store is coming to Albany.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom