Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-taco-day-deals-zz-230929-dd35e7.jpg

Welcome to National Taco Day!

Today is a day for tacos! There is some evidence that tacos with small fish were eaten in the Valley of Mexico before Spaniards arrived to the continent. In the 18th century Mexican silver miners used "plugs" or "wads"—paper wrappers with gunpowder fillings—to extract ore, and these were also called tacos. Tacos likely got their modern name because they resembled the explosives. Tacos usually consist of a protein such as beef, chicken, pork, or fish, wrapped in a hard or soft shell made of corn or flour. Toppings may include tomatoes, onion, lettuce, cheese, refried beans, cilantro, salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.

Traditional Mexican tacos include the al pastor, carne asada, tacos de camarones (shrimp tacos), tacos de pescado (fish tacos), and others. They are often served at taco stands and many times are accompanied with sliced red radishes, lime, salt, and chilis.

SU News

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...basketball-official-visit-planning-sign-early (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball commit Donnie Freeman took an official visit this weekend to see his future home. He was not there just for himself, however, as he helped the Orange recruit the two class of 2025 prospects also taking their officials.

"I know (Derek) Dixon liked it a lot," Freeman said. "He liked it a lot. I told him they have to take care of DMV guys. They cannot afford to mess up with any DMV players. They have the leverage, the positives on your side. That's what you look for. I rapped with him about it, got to see how he felt about it. I didn't really talk to Matt (Gilhool) a lot. But Derek liked it a lot.

"I think he's a priority for sure. They're not recruiting a whole lot of guards and he's number six in points created in EYBL. He's definitely a priority and the fact they brought him on an official so early shows he's a priority."

Even though he knew it was coming, seeing Syracuse play man defense when he observed practice was quite the moment.

"This was the first time I got to see the full team in five on five action," Freeman said. "It was my first time seeing them play man defense. It actually didn't feel real seeing them play man. It was fun to watch. I really liked how they used their forwards as well. Benny, Maliq, how they moved them around, off ball screens, dribble handoffs, they shot jumpers, kind of did everything. It made more sense actually seeing it and seeing similar forwards like me doing it."

Syracuse Basketball: Top observations by Jon Rothstein from SU practice (itlh; Adler)

College basketball insider Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports recently headed to the 315 to check out a Syracuse basketball practice led by first-year head coach Adrian Autry, as the Orange’s fall practice calendar got underway early last week.

Rothstein, one of the top national pundits out there, is a lot of fun with his posts on X. As he checked out a recent Orange practice, he put out a handful of posts on X, and also did a Q&A with Autry, which I highly recommend checking out.

In one post on X, Rothstein gave his early prediction on the Syracuse basketball starting rotation in the 2023-24 season. Rothstein is forecasting sophomore point guard Judah Mintz, sophomore guard J.J. Starling, sophomore small forward Chris Bell, junior forward Benny Williams, and junior center Naheem McLeod.

That’s the same starting five that I’m projecting for the ‘Cuse, at least for the onset of the 2023-24 stanza, which begins in early November.

CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein provides some insights on Syracuse basketball in 2023-24.

Another Rothstein post on X read, “Syracuse will not look like the Syracuse that we’ve seen during the past few seasons. The Orange are determined to play stifling, man-to-man defense under Adrian Autry. Most athletic team this program has had in 4-5 years.”

Syracuse basketball has 13 scholarship players on its 2023-24 roster. It is athletic, deep and versatile at every position group, and the team’s backcourt is going to be fabulous this coming term.

Autry has said on numerous occasions since taking over from the legendary Hall of Famer Jim Boeheim in March that he will primarily utilize a man-to-man defense, while sprinkling in some zone.

Autry has also said that he wants to play at an up-tempo pace, perhaps using a press more than in other previous years, while pushing the ball out in transition on offense.

derek-dixon-3.jpg

SI

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...cuse-basketball-up-there-after-official-visit (SI; McAllister)

One of three elite recruits on an official visit to Syracuse basketball this weekend was class of 2025 guard Derek Dixon.

"It was definitely a great visit," Dixon said. "It was great to meet with coach Autry and meet the rest of the staff. I really built a good relationship with the staff and the players on the visit. It was good to go to the football game and experience what life at Syracuse was like."

Attending the Orange football game against Clemson in the JMA Wireless Dome was among the highlights of the trip.

"It was good," Dixon said. "The student section was really lively and it was a great atmosphere to play in. Being in a dome was something different. I had never really been in an environment like that. It was really cool."

The recruits, including Dixon, also attended a Syracuse basketball practice during the visit.

"Coach Autry, coach Straughn and coach G-Mac were all telling me about how they love to play through the guards, play fast and run a lot of pick and rolls and movement," Dixon said. "That was something I really saw a lot in practice. Something that I think fits my playing style. The players were good, they've got a good set of guys this year especially the guards with Judah and JJ and guys like that. It was just cool to see."

Syracuse Basketball: Top scout high on 4-star D.C. guard who just visited (itlh; Adler)

In a recent post on X, top analyst/scout Colby Giacubeno described Syracuse basketball recruiting target Derek Dixon as, among other things, “a lethal sniper,” and I love that.

The 6-foot-4 Dixon, a 2025 four-star combo guard from the talent-rich Washington, D.C., market, was scheduled to officially visit the Orange this past weekend, and it was slated to be his first official visit. I sincerely hope that Derek’s trip to the Hill went smashingly!

As far as I can tell, Dixon has emerged as a priority recruit for the ‘Cuse coaching staff in the junior cycle. Not too long ago, the Orange coaching staff was in attendance for Dixon during an open gym at his high school.

‘25 4 G Derek Dixon’s playmaking improves w/ each viewing. Combine that w/ the fact that he’s a lethal sniper & you have a highly productive combo guard at the next level. Took an unofficial to Pitt over the weekend & is set to take his first official to Syracuse this weekend. pic.twitter.com/Y30OFFki85
— Colby Giacubeno (@ColbyGHoops) September 26, 2023

Dixon is a standout at Gonzaga College High School in Washington, D.C., a powerhouse group that is deemed by some high-school hoops experts as a preseason top-25 squad ahead of the 2023-24 campaign.

On the AAU circuit, Dixon suits up for one of the best programs nationwide, the Washington-based Team Takeover in Nike’s EYBL league. Orange coaches have strong ties to Team Takeover.

Syracuse Basketball: 4-stars Nigel James, Kiyan Anthony Bahamas bound (itlh; Adler)

In mid-December of this year, Syracuse basketball 2025 four-star recruiting targets Nigel James, a point guard, and Kiyan Anthony, a shooting guard, are expected to play in a loaded showcase event in Paradise.

Their team, the powerhouse Long Island Lutheran High School in Brookville, N.Y., is one of numerous squads in the field of the second-annual Hoopfest in Paradise, according to social media posts. Long Island Lutheran is a member of the prestigious 10-team National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (“NIBC”).

The 2023 Hoopfest in Paradise will take place on December 15 and December 16 at the Kendal G.L. Isaacs National Gymnasium in Nassau, Bahamas.

https://t.co/e0w7Kn8UMb
— LuHi Basketball (@LuHiBasketball) September 26, 2023

Other expected participants include the Riviera Preparatory School in Miami, Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, Calif., the Dynamic Preparatory High School in Irving, Texas, the Faith Family Academy in Dallas, and Link Academy in Branson, Mo., which won the 2023 GEICO Nationals this past spring.

Later this year, Syracuse basketball targets Nigel James and Kiyan Anthony will be Bahamas bound.

A season ago, when James and Anthony were suiting up for other high schools, Long Island Lutheran tallied a 23-3 record, finished second in the NIBC regular-season standings, and earned a berth in the 2023 GEICO Nationals.

High-school hoops experts rated Long Island Lutheran as a top-five national squad in 2022-23, and looking ahead to the 2023-24 stanza, when James and Anthony will be juniors, analysts also have the Crusaders as a preseason top-five group.

Syracuse men’s basketball: which home game can replace the "Duke Campout" this season? (TNIAAM; Chiappone)

When the Syracuse Orange men’s basketball team had its full ACC schedule revealed for the 2023-2024 season, Syracuse fans quickly pointed out the obvious omission — no home game versus the Duke Blue Devils.

Despite the Orange’s recent skid versus the Blue Devils, the “Duke Campout” hosted by Otto’s Army is a staple event among the Syracuse student population — even with Syracuse having lost eight straight versus Duke and with a conversation emerging on the present state of the rivalry. For context, Otto’s Army typically allows students to set up tents in or near the JMA Wireless Dome for up to 48 hours to campout before tip-off against Duke.

Fortunately for Syracuse fans — especially the students — Otto’s Army President Greg Slodysko confirmed Friday that it would still host a campout at some point during the Orange’s upcoming season.

But the pressing question remains: what home game will take the place of Duke this time around?

Let’s break down some of the top options Otto’s Army can choose from:

January 20: Miami

Otto’s Army faces two challenges to picking any candidate to replace Duke for the campout: finding a) the right time to host the two-day event and b) the right opponent to draw enough students to show up at the Dome.

Recent history shows that the Duke campout usually took place on a Saturday (logistically, it makes sense: you can only draw in so many students in the middle of a school week). Because of that, we’re prioritizing Saturday games to start off our list of candidates.

Other

Go under water and inside Skaneateles Lake’s most prominent shipwreck (video) (PS; video; Baker)

If you’ve ever walked to the end of the pier on Skaneateles Lake and looked out on the water, you may have noticed what looks like a boat at the bottom of the lake, just beyond the village docks.

What you’re seeing are the remains of the City of Syracuse, a massive steamship that ferried tourists and residents around the lake more than 100 years ago.

The wreckage sits in about 9 feet of water, just southwest of the village pier. If you’re standing at the end of the pier looking out on the lake, look about 45 degrees to your right and you should notice pieces of it.

5VOURULDLNGLHGXY3QWA56OFWM.JPG

This file photo shows bourbon and whiskey bottles shaped like baseballs at the Cooperstown Distillery, which is participating in a new whiskey festival in Geneseo, N.Y. Katrina Tulloch | ktulloch@syracuse.com

New whiskey festival coming to Finger Lakes; rock band The Struts to perform (PS; Herbert)

A new whiskey festival is coming to Finger Lakes wine country.

The inaugural Hoochenanny Whiskey Festival is scheduled to take place Oct. 20-21 at Geneseo Village Park in Geneseo, N.Y. Rock band The Struts will headline the music lineup on Saturday, Oct. 21.

Tickets are on sale at hoochenanny.com; general admission prices start at $39.99, plus fees. VIP tickets and two-day packages are also available.

The Hoochenanny Whiskey Festival aims to celebrate New York food, craft whiskey and cocktails with a motto to “Cultivate the Uncommon.” The event will include a education whiskey tasting experience dubbed the “Rickhouse Rendezvous,” featuring brands from across the Empire State including Cooperstown Distillery, Iron Smoke Distillery, and Great Jones Distilling Co.

“This festival will invigorate your spirit and tantalize your palette with the perfect blend of local culture, community, and hospitality,” the Hoochenanny webite says.

The Struts are a British glam rock band best known for songs like “Body Talks” (feat. Kesha), “Kiss This,” “One Night Only,” and “Could Have Been Me.” The group will release their fourth album in November.