Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.gif

Welcome to World Pasta Day!

Pasta is made with flour, salt, water, and eggs. It comes in many shapes, like ribbons, cords, and tubes, and can be prepared in myriad ways, with different cooking techniques and in many recipes. It can be tossed with butter, cheese, seasonings, and sauces of tomato, seafood, and cream. Some pasta may be stuffed with meat, cheese, or spinach. Pasta is used in dishes like spaghetti, fettuccine Alfredo, macaroni and cheese, lasagna, and penne and pesto, and in soups and casseroles.

SU News

Ken Pomeroy explains his college basketball ratings: Why is Syracuse at No. 105? (podcast) (PS; podcast; Waters)

When Ken Pomeroy put out his preseason college basketball ratings on his KenPom.com website, he knew that fans of teams rated high would be excited, while fans of teams that were rated low would be upset with his computer system.

“Trust me, I look at the ratings when they come out and I’m always looking for the ones that I hate,’' Pomeroy said in an appearance on the “Inside Syracuse Basketball” podcast. “There’s a few that I hate. But for the most part, it’s a fun exercise and I generally like the output.’'

CVU76MLWXFGNVJOMP4JCP22YXY.jpg

Syracuse Orange forward Chris Bell (0) drives around Miami (Fl) Hurricanes guard Wooga Poplar (55) as the Syracuse Orange took on the Miami Hurricanes Monday January 16, 2023 at Watsco Center in Coral Gables, Florida. N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com

Bell gave up candy and soda to gain 14 pounds: ‘I ate everything my mom made’ (PS; $; Waters)

Chris Bell needed to gain weight.

The Syracuse forward, who is listed at 6-feet, 7-inches, had gone through his freshman year at 180 pounds. Bell knew he needed to add strength and more than a few pounds this offseason.

There was one small problem.

“Getting me to eat,’’ said Bell.

Bell said he’s not a big eater. He especially doesn’t like to eat before one of his twice-daily workouts. But after going up against bigger and stronger opponents in his first year of college, Bell changed his eating habits.

He leaned on the advice of Syracuse nutritionist Alyson Onyon and the cooking of his mom, Natasha.

“I ate everything my mom made,’’ he said. He woke up earlier to make sure he had time to eat before his morning workouts. “Pancakes, bacon, eggs, potatoes, sausage. She’ll mix it up with biscuits and gravy. Or she’ll do chicken and waffles.’’

Onyon put Bell on a steady supply of healthy shakes designed to help him gain weight.

“Protein shakes, calorie shakes, Gatorade shakes,’’ Bell said. “A lot of bread. Some fatty foods. She’s been emphasizing that to me.’’

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ps-be-in-autrys-first-season-podcast.html(PS; podcast; Axe)

Axe me your questions and I’ll tell you no lies.

The mailbag was overflowing with your questions on Syracuse football and basketball, so we made a podcast about it.

How does SU Football stack up with other private schools in the Power 5 during the Dino Babers’ era?

How good will Syracuse basketball will be in Adrian Autry’s first season as head coach and how deep will his rotation be?

When will the day of reckoning come for NIL in college sports?

Plus, listen for the voicemail that tells me just how wrong I am on expectations for SU football.

As always, we want to hear from you!

The “Syracuse Sports” voicemail line is 315-552-1964.

Leave us a message anytime and it could be featured on a future episode.

If you have an idea for the show or a burning question you want answered, you can email baxe@syracuse.com, find me on Twitter/X @brentaxemedia or
Threads @brent_axe.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/basketball/jj-starling-enjoying-being-closer-to-family (SI; Della Penna)

We caught up with Syracuse guard JJ Starling to discuss his season at Notre Dame, being at Syracuse and family.

Q: How does it feel to finally put on the Orange and represent Syracuse?

Starling: "It feels amazing. Having this opportunity, I'm beyond blessed. Being able to play in front of my friends and family, it's a surreal moment. I think I look good in Orange, so the color's grown on me pretty quick."

Q: What was it like playing for Mike Brey at Notre Dame?

Starling: "It was a great experience. The record might not show it, but I learned so much with him. Even with the season that we had. All credit to him. He's the reason I am how I am right now. Determined and wanting to be the best player for myself. He forced me to be a competitor. He was on me. He just wanted me to be the best version of myself."

Q: Do you have a specific memory from when you were younger about Syracuse Orange basketball?

Starling: "The biggest and most obvious is the Duke games. You can't beat the sold out arena, crazy atmosphere. Those are easy ones to think of."

Q: Was there a game on the schedule where you thought this will be a surreal moment?

Starling: "Honestly no. Everybody on our schedule, I've got to key on them. I just want to win games. Unfortunately, we weren't able to do that at Notre Dame lats year. So being able to have a second opportunity against these great teams is going to be a great moment."

Kansas transfer Kyle Cuffe looks to launch with Syracuse basketball (TNIAAM; Szuba)

Before entering the transfer portal at the end of last season Kyle Cuffe Jr. didn’t know what to expect. He had played in just two games in two years at Kansas and wasn’t sure what opportunities would be available for him. But Cuffe wanted a chance to showcase what he could do on the court and to play closer to his home of Harlem, N.Y.

So he talked it over with his parents, took a leap of faith and entered the transfer portal at peace with whatever unknown outcome awaited. Then the Syracuse coaching staff reached out. He felt it was the best option, so Cuffe committed to play for Adrian Autry in May. He learned a lot through that process and his first two years at Kansas.

“Going through it taught me a lot of lessons,” Cuffe said. “Just things like internally, what I got to do. What I gotta focus on now. What things I need to let go in my life.”

Cuffe wanted the opportunity to play basketball where he could earn playing time. He also wanted to be closer to his family. While Syracuse is about a five hour drive from New York City, he’s already seen his parents five times since transferring. Cuffe said he saw his parents just twice during his two years at Kansas. His father, Kyle Cuffe Sr., played on St. John’s from 2000-01 to 2003-04.

“He played against ‘Melo in ‘03. He played against Coach G-Mac,” the son said of his dad. “So he said that team was crazy. Every time ‘Melo got the ball he couldn’t stop him.”

During that same 2003 season Cuffe Sr. was a part of the St. John’s team that beat Duke in Madison Square Garden.

“He always brings up that matchup,” the younger Cuffe said.

After redshirting during his freshman season with the Jayhawks in 2021-22, Cuffe played in just two games the following year before tearing both his MCL and PCL, which sidelined him for 2022-23. Despite enduring of the difficulty of not playing basketball for two seasons, Cuffe doesn’t feel sorry for himself.

“I feel like it changed me into the person I am today,” he said.

Benny Williams at ACC Tipoff is a Good Sign (orangefizz.net; Simone)

With the college basketball season just a couple of weeks away, we’ve reached another of those offseason markers that indicate the approach of the new season. ACC Tipoff, which is just media day with a fancy title, is October 25 for the conference’s men’s squads.

Each team brings its head coach and a collection of players to the event. Most teams bring two of their stars, but Syracuse is one of just four teams to bring three players. Judah Mintz and JJ Starling will join new head coach Adrian Autry, as will Benny Williams.

Mintz and Starling seem like obvious choices. Mintz is the undisputed best player on the team, coming off a freshman season where he scored over 15 points per game and the offense ran through him. You can’t make a short list for ACC Player of the Year without including Mintz.

The fact that Williams will also be there is newsworthy. Autry didn’t need to take a third player, most teams will only have two. It shows where Autry believes Williams fits within the dynamic of his team.

Clemson brings in Syracuse transfer Girard to add scoring punch to deep, experienced team (lancestoronline.com; Iacobelli)

Girard averaged 16.4 points last season as a senior for the Orange. He joins a Clemson group led by forward PJ Hall, who averaged 15.3 points a game, giving the Tigers two of the ACC's top returning scorers from last season.

Clemson coach Brad Brownell said the 6-foot-2 graduate student guard brings the experience of his four seasons at Syracuse, where doing things the right way on the court was a requirement if you were going to play. Girard made 88 3-pointers, more than anyone at Clemson last year, and has the savvy to bring the ball up the court, too.

Girard saw Clemson's positives, both when he was at Syracuse and on his offseason visit, Brownell said.
“I think we’re respected in the league pretty well,” Brownell said. “Like I think coaches and players in our league respect us and play against us for how we play and how we do things in our approach.”
Girard and Syracuse reached the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament when he was a sophomore in 2021. He thinks Clemson, which didn't make the NCAAs last year despite a 23-11 record and 14-6 mark in the ACC, has the pieces to make a solid tournament run this season.

“I haven't been able to get back there since and I've been kind of itching for it,” Girard said. “I'm someone who loves to win and this team had a lot of wins last year.”

“I just wanted to go somewhere where I knew I could get myself to play into March and prepare for a long, long season,” he said.

RETURNING PLAYERS

A big part of the Tigers will be Hall, the 6-foot-10 senior who was the team's top scorer and rebounder last season. Hall explored his NBA draft potential last spring before deciding on another season in college. Point guard Chase Hunter, who also averaged double-digit scoring (13.5 points a game) last fall, is also back and should form one of the ACC's top guard combos with Girard.

PORTAL HELP

While other coaches on campus like football's Dabo Swinney have shied away from the portal, that's not the case for Brownell, who has used it boost his roster quite often in his 14 seasons. Along with Girard from Syracuse, Clemson brought in Air Force guard Jake Heidbreder; and a pair of 6-10 newcomers in Jack Clark who spent time at LaSalle and, most recently, North Carolina State, and Bas Leyte of UNC Greensboro.

A YEAR AGO

Clemson looked like it had a case for the NCAA tourney last year with those 14 ACC victories, including a home win over Duke. But there were enough negatives on the Tigers' resume — a loss at struggling rival South Carolina early in the season — to relegate them to the NIT where they lost their opener to Morehead State. Brownell is emphasizing a strong start and no let downs on a team with 11 upperclassmen on the roster.

RISING YOUNGSTERS

Clemson has been known for developing young, unheralded prepsters into all-ACC players like KJ McDaniels, Jaron Blossomgame, Amir Simms and Hunter Tyson. Brownell believes sophomores RJ Godfrey and Chaucey Wiggins could be the next on that track. Both were in the regular rotation a year ago and could play themselves into bigger roles this season. Godfrey is a 6-8 forward while Wiggins is among four players 6-10 or taller on the roster.

THE SCHEDULE

Clemson has a handful of early tests, starting in a four-team tournament in Asheville, North Carolina, the first weekend of the season that includes Maryland and Davidson. The Tigers will go to Alabama in late November and have non-conference games with Memphis, TCU and rival South Carolina in December. ACC play starts in December at Pitt and kicks off in full at Miami on Jan. 3.

Kelly Gramlich and Eric Mac Lain talk ACC football - Gramlich and Mac Lain (M&G; podcast; M&G Podcast)

The Asheville Championship is coming up, so KG and Mac are talking HOOPS! Full Clemson MBB preview right here. We've got the entire pod squad as our producer Richmond Weaver is also in Littlejohn, chopping it up with Coach Brad Brownell, PJ Hall, Joe Girard III, and Chase Hunter! Presented by Ingles Markets.

The C.L. Brown Show: How ACC basketball can return to elite status; Louisville vs. Duke (C-J; podcast; Brown)

This week's episode of The C.L. Brown Show features Raleigh News & Observer columnist Luke DeCock, who breaks down Louisville football's upcoming game against Duke and discusses the state of ACC basketball and how it can return to its elite status.

DeCock believes the health of running back Jawhar Jordan and his ability to get explosive plays could be the key to U of L's offense against the Blue Devils.

Other

Syracuse's trivia scene turns strangers into friends (DO; Boehm)

A hush fell over the crowd at the Halloween-decorated Recess Coffee Tipperary Hill as the night’s trivia host started round two – scary movies, “just in time for spooky season.” As the host asked about Michael Myers movies and what time the clock stopped in “The Conjuring,” teams huddled over their tables. High-fives were exchanged when one team finally got the answer.

“It’s an excuse to get together with friends. Monday night, there’s not much going on. It’s a fun thing to do,” said Chuck Gwynn, a member of the winning team that evening: “Jay’s Latte.”

Syracuse Trivia Company puts on events from Monday through Thursday. The company, founded in 2011, has hosts and regulars at their many locations around Syracuse. Recess is among the 42 venues in the Syracuse area.

Brian Cocca, the president and founder of Syracuse Trivia Company, started going to trivia events with his roommates when he lived in Philadelphia. After moving to Syracuse, he couldn’t find a consistent trivia night. So in 2009, Brian decided to host trivia nights.

“Then a couple of years later, I was like ‘Well, either I stop doing this or I turn it into a business,’” Cocca said. “And I just decided to turn it into a business, and we doubled our places every year for a few years.”

Most venues approach Syracuse Trivia and tell Cocca their business is interested in hosting a trivia night. Having events four nights every week helps the venues out on their slow days and sometimes fills their space entirely, Cocca said.

Syracuse Trivia Company got its start at Coleman’s Authentic Irish Pub, where Cocca still hosts. Now, for each of their locations, the company trains new hosts and also comes up with different questions every week.

LT6QIR473JEG7OSQ7WXORBIM6Y.jpeg

This map shows expected high temperatures on Wednesday across Upstate New York. Normal high temperatures for Oct. 25 are in the mid 50s.

See how long Upstate NY’s gorgeous stretch of warm, sunny weather will last (PS; Coin)

Upstate New York slips into an extended stretch of warm, sunny weather today that is more reminiscent of early June than late October.

The high temperature will reach into the upper 60s today and then climb into the mid 70s through Thursday. That’s nearly 20 degrees above normal for this time of year.

“The above-normal temperatures for late October remain the highlight of the week,” said the National Weather Service office in Albany.

This stretch probably won’t break daytime high temperature records, but the lingering warmth could set new records for the warmest overnight temperatures in some areas.

The low temperatures over the next few days will hover in the low 60s. That’s higher than the average highs for late October, which are in the mid 50s.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom