Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.gif

Welcome to National STEM Day!

National STEAM Day is "meant to inspire kids to explore and pursue their interests in Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math." Created by MGA Entertainment, it was inspired by their brand Project Mc², a company that encourages girls to explore S.T.E.A.M. with experiment sets, dolls, and a Netflix Original Series, Project Mc². Produced from 2015 through 2017, the series focuses on S.T.E.A.M.: Four girls—McKeyla McAlister and her three friends—work for the government in a secret spy organization that is trying to protect the world. It is named NOV8—pronounced "innovate"—which explains why National S.T.E.M./S.T.E.A.M. Day is held on November 8. Most of the fastest-growing occupations involve S.T.E.A.M., and an early interest in it can help young people later in life. The day motivates kids to pursue these subjects, with a specific goal of encouraging girls to build an interest in them, as there is a gender gap in S.T.E.A.M.-related fields.

SU News

Opponent Preview: What to know about Canisius (PS; Schiff)

Adrian Autry recorded his first win as head coach in Syracuse’s 83-72 season-opening victory over New Hampshire Monday. Judah Mintz finished with a team-high 20 points while Quadir Copeland registered his first career double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds.

Powered by speedy transition offense and disciplined man-to-man defense, the Orange jumped out to a 32-9 lead in the opening 10 minutes but lost some steam heading into the second half.

When UNH closed the deficit to nine with eight minutes remaining, SU switched to its ever-reliable 2-3 zone front to stave off an aggressive Wildcats squad.

Syracuse returns to action Wednesday for its second game in three days. The Orange host cross-state opponents Canisius, who finished 10-20 last season with an 8-12 record in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

Here’s everything to know about the Golden Griffins before Wednesday’s tip-off:

All-time series

Syracuse leads, 46-24

Last time they played

Syracuse last faced Canisius on Dec. 15, 2012, in an 85-61 victory. The then-No. 4 ranked Orange led 35-32 at halftime but outscored the Golden Griffins 50-29, to advance to 9-0.

Michael Carter-Williams, a future 10-year NBA veteran, notched 12 points and 14 assists in the win while forward James Southerland produced a game-high 21 points. Brandon Triche added 19.

In what would be its final year in the Big East conference, SU ended the season winning the 2013 Big East Tournament before advancing to the Final Four for the fifth time in program history.

Beat writers unanimously agree Syracuse will improve to 2-0 (DO; Staff)

Adrian Autry garnered a win in his first regular season game as head coach during Syracuse’s 83-72 victory over New Hampshire.

In the opening 10 minutes, SU pushed the pace for easy transition buckets. Defensively, the Orange’s man-to-man defense forced UNH into ill-advised shots as they generated an early 32-9 lead.

One of the biggest storylines at the JMA Wireless Dome, however, was Autry’s decision to switch his defense to the familiar 2-3 zone. The tactical change, implemented in the last seven minutes, kept the Wildcats at bay until the final buzzer.

Syracuse returns to action against Canisius on Wednesday for its second game in three days. The Golden Griffins are coming off of their second consecutive losing season but have nine returning players.

Here’s what our beat writers expect to happen when Syracuse takes on Canisius:

Cole Bambini (1-0)
The small things
Syracuse 86, Canisius 70

Against New Hampshire, Syracuse seemed well on its way to a blowout win. It led 32-9 at one point and the Orange’s fast-paced tempo was too much for the Wildcats. But then, they went flat. The shots weren’t falling and UNH trickled back. I think Syracuse is still working out the small things and it’ll likely have some minor struggles against Canisius, but nothing too threatening.

Autry switched to the 2-3 zone once Mintz returned to the game with four fouls and that’ll likely be a common in-game move over the course of the season if Syracuse tires. Offensively, the Orange need to make their shots. They shot just under 24 percent from deep and just over 37 percent from the field in the second half while possessions looked rushed.

Despite some early season struggles, Syracuse should be fine. SU has beaten Canisius 21 consecutive times dating back to the 1975-76 season, one year before Boeheim took over. The Golden Griffins begin their season Wednesday and come off two consecutive seasons where they’ve lost 20 games.

Henry O’Brien (1-0)
Looking to Colgate
Syracuse 84, Canisius 69

My tagline for the opening game of the season was “some concerns.” There might be a few more concerns. Syracuse’s shooting performance in the second half against New Hampshire was well below average (37 percent) and the team’s total 3-point percentage was a ghastly 23.8 percent. Mintz was impressive at driving to the rim and drawing fouls, but his backcourt mate went 3-of-13 from the field.

If the Orange want to improve on last season, J.J. Starling will need to shoot better. He has the opportunity to perform against a Canisius team that SU should beat with relative ease. But that might be saying too much considering Syracuse struggled for long stretches against New Hampshire.

While the Orange will win the game, can they answer some lingering questions from the first game? Can Starling or Chris Bell shoot better? Can Naheem McLeod get more than just three rebounds? Will Benny Williams come back? And most importantly, can this team actually play man-to-man defense throughout a whole game? This will be another tune-up game for Syracuse, but it needs to play better to give fans confidence that it can end the two-year skid to Colgate.

Syracuse basketball vs. Canisius: 5 Key Things to Know (PS; $; Waters)

The Syracuse Orange took their first steps of the season on Monday and, much like a child learning to walk, there was excitement followed by some unsteady footing and nervous moments.

But even after squandering a good portion of a 23-point lead and teetering dangerously, the Orange steadied itself and came away with an 83-72 win over New Hampshire at the JMA Wireless Dome.

The Orange won’t get much of a chance to work on things as it takes the court again on Wednesday with a visit from the Canisius Golden Griffins.

While Syracuse opened the regular season on Monday, this will be Canisius’ first game of the year. The Golden Griffins have three starters back from a team that went 10-20 overall (8-12 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) last season.

Canisius is led by veteran coach Reggie Witherspoon, who enters his eighth season with the Griffins. Witherspoon also spent 14 years as the head coach at Buffalo. He has a 292-340 caree coaching record.

Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m. and will be televised on ACCNX and ESPN+.

Here are 5 Key Things to Know about the matchup:

Opening night reviews

Let’s take a reviewer’s approach to Syracuse’s opening night at the Dome.

On the positive side, Justin Taylor played well, scoring 14 points and grabbing six rebounds. Quadir Copeland registered a double-double off the bench with 10 points and 13 boards. Maliq Brown put together a solid performance with 10 points, six rebounds and four steals.

On the negative side, Syracuse got sloppy with a 23-point lead and allowed New Hampshire to get within six midway through the second half. Chris Bell continued to struggle with his shot, making just one of his five 3-point attempts. The Orange held a mere six-rebound edge; UNH actually had more second-chance points (10) than Syracuse did (8).

On the plus side, the Orange had 13 steals. On the down side, Syracuse committed 11 turnovers. That allowed New Hampshire to equal Syracuse’s 18 points off turnovers; a category that Orange needs to win this season.

Syracuse did get out and run, scoring 22 fastbreak points. But in the halfcourt, there were struggles, especially as Syracuse went 5-for-21 on 3-pointers.

This Griff is Golden

Canisius’ top player is Tahj Staveskie, a 6-foot sophomore who earned All-Rookie team honors in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference last season.

Staveskie, a native of Sandusky, Ohio, led all MAAC freshmen in scoring (12.4 ppg), assists (2.8 per game), 3-pointers made (1.5 per game) and 3-point percentage (30.1%). He received the MAAC’s freshman of the week award six times.

Former Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim is loving retirement. It doesn't mean he is very far from the game (usatoday.com; Frank)

It’s a typical early November day in Syracuse. Gray skies. Light snow has dusted the area, a precursor for the months ahead when when many residents around here look for Syracuse basketball to get them through the winter. The season opener is just days away.

The man sitting behind the desk, special assistant to the athletic director, is totally at ease in a standard-issue, middle manager’s office in the John A. Lally Athletics Complex. He is smiling, cheerful, funny, engaging.

Gone are the decades of scowls, railing against officials, getting in the face of players, snapping at reporters.

Retirement is going just fine, thank you, for Jim Boeheim, who stepped down in March after 47 years of coaching the Orange. The Hall of Famer, who amassed 1,116 wins, five Final Four trips and the 2003 national championship along the way, says he doesn’t miss the job one bit.

“If you’re up 16 hours a day, you’re thinking about your team every minute of those 16 hours, every day, seven days a week, all year long,” said Boeheim, reflecting on a career that saw him transform the program into a national brand. “Your mind is always occupied. People think that’s not the case, but it is. I did that for 47 years. That’s a long time. The time had come.”

Even Boeheim is surprised he hasn’t had pangs about patrolling the sidelines along the court that bears his name inside the JMA Wireless Dome where crowds of 30,000-plus would trudge through slush, ice and snow to see their beloved Orange.

“I thought I might miss it, but I don’t. My wife doesn’t believe me,” Boeheim said, laughing, “but I just don’t miss it at all. The transition’s really been easy.”
Juli Boeheim, his wife of 26 years, agreed and said he has “really unplugged well.”

"I didn’t know what to expect because he’s letting go of everything he’s ever known but I think it’s been really great,” she said. “I keep asking him, ’Are you good? Are you good, especially with the start of the season coming up,' and he keeps on saying, ‘No, I’m great. I’m great.’”

Syracuse had its first losing campaign since 1968-69 two seasons ago, finishing 16-17, and is coming off a 17-15 record last year and consecutive tournament-less campaigns. Fans, mostly sports talk show callers according to Boeheim, grew increasingly impatient over a downturn in the program.
“People say we were down. We went to two Final Fours over the last 10 years. I’m not sure how many programs can say that,” Boeheim pushed back during his interview with The Associated Press.

There were other things to contend with in this modern era of college basketball. All coaches have to mind — or mine — the transfer portal and a roster never feels solid. Athletes can also earn endorsement money now, a potential factor in both recruiting and transfer decisions.

“If I was 40 or 50 years old, I would have adjusted. I wanted to get through coaching my kids (Buddy and Jimmy) and then I promised our six freshmen that I’d coach them,” said Boeheim, who is 78. “But when I got into the middle of the season, I knew it was going to be my last year."

It will surprise no one that Boeheim has thoughts about the transfer portal — “There’s some good because if you’re a bad team you can get better right away,” but it leaves many players “in a worse situation" — and on endorsement money: “Paying players is silly because they’re not employees.”
Perhaps those thoughts will come up during his new gig at ESPN, where he will be doing a combination of in-studio and game analysis.

“We’ll see how it goes. The good news is when you’re 78, if it doesn’t go that well, you just don’t do it anymore, right?” Boeheim chuckled. “I have 50 years’ of experience watching this game, so hopefully people can get something out of that, and the No. 1 thing that Jim Boeheim has is opinions.”

He has done pilates for years and has just taken up weight training. He comes to his office every day when he’s in town. He raises money. He attends meetings, goes to an occasional basketball practice run by new coach Adrian Autry, visits with coaches and recruits. He consults. He has the freedom to travel and recently returned from two weeks in Germany to see Jimmy play as well as to Detroit to watch Buddy play for his G League team. He golfs and goes fishing. He has a new house on Skaneateles Lake to ejoy. Most days, he gets home in time to walk his dog.

For now, Boeheim doesn’t plan to attend Orange games to avoid being a distraction, but he will watch on television. He said he will offer Autry advice if asked. He had one in mind: “Be confident in what you’re doing.”

“People have been wonderful thanking me for what we’ve done. It’s a very, very good feeling," he said. "I came here as a walk-on in 1962 and didn’t know what was going to happen. It turned out better than anybody could have dreamed of and that’s the bottom line.”

F-OB4aPW4AABjFw.jpeg

Syracuse's Win Over New Hampshire Leaves More Questions than Answers (orangefizz.net; Frank)

Syracuse opened its season with an 83-72 win over New Hampshire in the first game of the Adrian Autry era. The Orange came out blazing and were up by 23 at one point in the first half on the back of a starting lineup of Judah Mintz, J.J. Starling, Justin Taylor, Chris Bell, and Naheem McLeod.

When the subs started entering, most notably Maliq Brown, Quadir Copeland, and Kyle Cuffe Jr., things were fine for the most part, but the Orange started to leak oil towards the end of the first half and only led by a dozen at the break after starting fast, playing with energy, and getting up and down the floor in transition.

The two big notes of the evening were on each end of the floor. Defensively was most notable, as Syracuse’s man defense to open the game was fiery, causing turnovers, and allowing the Orange to play with pace. But, as the game wore on, and Syracuse’s size advantage was evident, New Hampshire started to take advantage of SU’s bigs and created a lot of open shots. That forced the zone to be broken out early in the Autry era, especially with some of the issues the Orange were dealing with throughout the game.

“We know we’re not going to be able to play man for the whole season, especially when we get in foul trouble or depending on the team we’re playing,” Taylor said to syracuse.com. “Us six from last year know it well, but the new guys, we’ve taught them that and they’ve transitioned to it. In the long run, it’s going to be good to be able to play both man and 2-3.”

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/basketball/five-takeaways-syracuse-83-new-hampshire-72 (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball picked up an 83-72 win over New Hampshire Monday night to start the Adrian Autry with a victory.

1. Defense

The defense, overall, was solid. Syracuse forced 16 turnovers, held UNH to 36.8% shooting and 25.8% from beyond the arc. In the first half, the man to man defense forced turnovers that allowed Syracuse to get out in transition. In the second half after New Hampshire made a run to cut the lead to six, the 2-3 zone got stops that allowed the Orange to pull away. There were stretches, however, where the defense was a bit sloppy. They allowed open shooters, easy opportunities at the rim and did not have the same on-ball pressure that we saw early. This team still has a ton of potential on the defensive end. The key is becoming a bit more consistent and keeping up that intensity for 40 minutes. Especially as the competition improves.

2. Outside Shooting

Syracuse shot just 5-21 (23.8%) from three point range. The outside shot was not there other than Justin Taylor. Taylor was 2-3 while the rest of the team was 3-18. JJ Starling and Judah Mintz may not be great outside shooters this year, but they have to be better than a combined 1-8. The key to me, however, is Chris Bell. He was just 1-5 from the outside. If he can shoot the ball better, which we know he is capable of, that can be enough, along with Taylor, to space the floor. As the season goes along, teams are going to back off of the Orange and force Syracuse to win games with jumpers rather than attacking the rim. Against UNH, Syracuse is bigger, stronger, faster, more talented. They can get away with a poor shooting game. As they get to Maui and beyond, that will not be the case. It remains the biggest concern with this team.

3. Justin Taylor

Justin Taylor looks like a completely different player. He is much more physical than he was last year, is playing with a ton of confidence, is showing good defensive instincts and has shown significant improvement as a rebounder. Very encouraging sign to see the way he is playing. I know it is two exhibition games against division two opponents and then New Hampshire, but he has played very well. A big jump from year one to year two for Justin would be such a huge boost for Syracuse.

4. Transition Offense

Where Syracuse has the potential to be one of the best in the country is in its transition offense. They have several players who can lead a break and several who can finish. This team is so fast, so athletic, that it has a big advantage in the open floor. The halfcourt offense, however, is where Syracuse can struggle. That said, the better it can be defensively, the more transition opportunities which helps the offense and the shooting issues. Through the two exhibition games and the season opener, Syracuse looks every bit the part of a great transition team.

Autry gets showered by his players after 1st win: ‘We gotta celebrate that’ (video) (PS; $; video; Ditota)

Before Adrian Autry spoke with reporters after his Syracuse team defeated New Hampshire Monday night in the JMA Wireless Dome, he issued a brief aside.

“I gotta dry off a little bit,” Autry said.

Syracuse’s first-year head coach was wearing a navy polo shirt. He had been saturated earlier not by the sweat of a first victory, but by his players celebrating that inaugural 83-72 win over New Hampshire.

Justin Taylor said assistant coach Brenden Straughn was the brains behind the deluge. Before Autry entered the locker room to give his postgame speech, players hustled to grab water bottles, Taylor said.

They waited until after his talk to christen his first win as SU’s head coach.

“We waited until after the speech and then it got quiet and we just threw water on him,” Taylor said. “It was a good time for us.”

“We got the win and it was important that we acknowledged that for Coach Autry,” said SU guard Kyle Cuffe, Jr. “You don’t get a first win ever again. That’s his first one. We gotta celebrate that.”

Syracuse basketball posted a brief video of the postgame scene in the locker room following the team’s victory on Monday night.

Dub ☝️ pic.twitter.com/zSwP0fqxTs
— Syracuse Men’s Basketball (@Cuse_MBB) November 7, 2023

Syracuse men’s basketball: Quadir Copeland records first career double-double in Orange (TNIAAM; Szuba)

Quadir Copeland couldn’t wait to call his mom and dad and tell them about his first career double-double on Monday night. The Syracuse Orange men’s basketball guard finished his night with 10 points and 13 rebounds in 27 minutes in the season-opening win over New Hampshire.

The 6-foot-6 sophomore out of Philadelphia also insists he had no idea that he had just eight points prior to his final bucket.

“I didn’t!” Copeland proclaims. “I’ll be honest. I didn’t even know I had 13 rebounds.”

Copeland’s final bucket came late in the game with just 47 seconds left, giving him double-figures for the game. Copeland gets “so zoned into the game” he doesn’t keep track of his stats.

Copeland said it felt good hearing he had a double-double. It was a career-high in minutes for the sophomore who had the talent as a first year player but was buried on the bench in his freshman season. He played some, but mostly sat from the bench in 2022-23 behind experienced players and a highly rated six-man freshman class.

Top analyst talks Syracuse basketball chances with 4-star Kiyan Anthony (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball recently welcomed 2025 four-star shooting guard Kiyan Anthony from New York City on an official visit to the Hill, at which time social media erupted with beautiful photos of Kiyan and his parents on his trip to Central New York.

While I’m the first to acknowledge that the 6-foot-5 Anthony, his dad, Orange legend Carmelo Anthony, and his mom, actress La La Anthony, looked right at home on Kiyan’s official visit to the ‘Cuse, it’s by no means a guarantee that this top-40 national prospect will end up committing to Syracuse University down the line.

Understandably, some Orange hoops fanatics think that that Syracuse basketball is the runaway front-runner for Kiyan Anthony, but I’m not in that camp, even if he has said he has a high interest in the ‘Cuse, and the possibility of carrying on his dad’s legacy with the Orange is appealing.

At the same time, Kiyan Anthony has said in numerous interviews that he’s keeping his options open. He also recently took an official visit to Florida State, and Anthony has said he plans to officially visit Big Ten Conference schools Indiana and Michigan.

What’s more, his already extensive offer sheet could continue to grow as he gets set for his junior season with one of the country’s top high-school teams.

An expert says it’s no lock that Syracuse basketball will land Kiyan Anthony.

Recently arriving in the top 25 nationally, per updated 2025 rankings from The Circuit, Anthony holds offers from schools such as West Virginia, UCF, Michigan, Maryland, Dayton, Florida State, Pittsburgh, Albany, Illinois, Indiana, Tennessee, Seton Hall, UMass, Providence, Memphis, Bryant, George Mason and Manhattan.

He blew up this spring and summer while starring for the Baltimore-based Team Melo in Nike’s EYBL league on the AAU circuit, which helped fuel a rankings bump as well as an expansion of his offer list.

Anthony attends the powerhouse Long Island Lutheran High School in Brookville, N.Y., which is a member of the loaded 10-team National Interscholastic Basketball Conference (“NIBC”).

Not too long ago, on X, I asked national analyst Rob Cassidy, one of the top recruiting experts out there, about the Orange’s chances with Kiyan Anthony.

Cassidy’s first point is an interesting one, as he said, “I’m always skeptical of the follow-in-dad’s-footsteps narrative unless the same coach that coached dad remains in place.”

That’s something to consider. Melo won a national championship in 2003 at Syracuse basketball under Hall of Famer Jim Boeheim. Boeheim, though, retired this past spring, giving way to former player and long-time assistant Adrian Autry as the ‘Cuse head coach.

Now, Autry and his coaching staff have been prioritizing Kiyan Anthony for a while now, and the younger Anthony has spoken highly of his relationship with Orange coaches, led by Autry.

Cassidy believes that Syracuse basketball “will be a player and likely a finalist” for Kiyan Anthony, and I’m in agreement there. Anthony has said that he’s likely to announce a top five or a top six in the coming months, and I’d be shocked if the ‘Cuse isn’t still a contender then.

More from the national analyst: “Whether or not the Orange can actually pull it off will hinge, at least partially, at how the first year of the Adrian Autry era plays out. … I believe there will have to be some positive momentum in order to convince a player like Anthony to hop on board. Prospects like him simply don’t have to buy into the promises of future success when so many other coaches will offer them tangible evidence of past accomplishments.”
That’s also an important point from Cassidy. If Syracuse basketball struggles under Autry in the 2023-24 season, might that turn Anthony off? We’ll see.

The expert also mentions that Anthony is likely to pick up additional scholarship offers in the near future. To me, it really comes down to which other schools get official visits from him.

Cassidy writes that there’s a “decent chance” that Kiyan Anthony ends up picking the ‘Cuse, but it’s by no means a lock, regardless of what some Syracuse basketball fans are opining.

Other

ITMSFJJGPJHUDOHGDPCDIY47OA.jpg

The Rock of the Marne Monument in Billings Park faces the exact time of the 100 year anniversary of Armistice Day, on the AXA Towers clock in downtown Syracuse in 2018. Michael Greenlar | mgreenlar@syr

How Syracuse rallied to save a downtown statue honoring a group of WWI heroes (PS; Croyle)

How does a statue of an American soldier fall thousands of dollars into debt?

That was the situation facing Syracuse’s “Rock of the Marne” monument in Billings Park as Armistice Day, now known as Veterans Day, approached in 1923.

The men of the 38th Regiment, who had fought so bravely at the Second Battle of the Marne during World War I, owed $6,500 (roughly $117,000 today) on the three-year-old monument for which they had raised funds before leaving France.

It wasn’t exactly their fault. The value of the French franc plummeted after the war, and the soldiers had squirreled away money in French banks.

How were soldiers returning home from the horrors of the European trenches expected to know about the conversion rates of depreciated French francs to American dollars?

Fortunately, Syracuse residents chipped in anywhere from $1 to $1,500 to keep the men from digging into their own pockets for the statue.

Local civic leader The Rev. Dr. Frederick W. Betts called it a “debt of honor” and wrote that the city “owed it to the boys” to take care of it for them.

So that’s exactly what Syracuse did.

Local election results from city, county (DO; Harrison)

As polls closed at 9 p.m., the Onondaga County Board of Elections reported a total of over 87,000 votes in Tuesday’s elections.

The Onondaga County Board of Elections has received 4,368 absentee ballots along with the 12,680 votes from early voting as of 6 p.m. As long as absentee ballots have a postmark no later than today, additional mailed-in ballots will count.

Election results will be finalized after all absentee ballots are counted.

Here’s where several county and city races stand as Election Night draws to a close:

Onondaga County

COUNTY EXECUTIVE
Incumbent Republican Ryan McMahon is leading Democrat Bill Kinne, earning 61.82 percent of the vote as of 11:23 p.m.

McMahon has held the position since 2018, and he was at the helm when Micron announced its $100 billion investment in the central New York region. McMahon strongly pushed for the $85 million aquarium project and other economic developments, as he said that these projects will bring more people to Syracuse to make it a more popular place.

COUNTY COMPTROLLER
Incumbent Marty Masterpole, a Democrat, is leading Republican challenger Casey Jordan by 26,489 votes in the race for Onondaga County comptroller as of 11:23 p.m. Masterpole has received about 65.32 percent of the votes, while Jordan has received about 34.61 percent of the votes.

Masterpole has held the role of comptroller since 2019. He previously served on the Onondaga County Legislature for four years representing District 17. He also served on the Syracuse Common Council for four years and as Syracuse’s City Auditor for eight years.

Masterpole and Jordan overlapped as Onondaga County legislators, with Jordan representing District 14 for 14 years.

DISTRICT ATTORNEY
In the race for Onondaga County District Attorney, incumbent Republican William Fitzpatrick is leading Democrat Chuck Keller and Conservative Christine Varga, having earned 57.99 percent of the vote as of 11:23 p.m.

Fitzpatrick, who has also been endorsed by the People First Party, has held the DA position since 1992, being reelected seven times.

Keller also ran against Fitzpatrick in 2019.

ONONDAGA COUNTY LEGISLATURE, DISTRICT 6
Incumbent Julie Abbott is leading Democrat Blake Carter to secure her third term in office.

Abbott earned 57.28 percent of the vote as of 11:23 p.m., compared to Carter’s 42.62 percent.

A former journalist, Abbott, who was endorsed by the Republican and People First Parties, was first appointed to the legislature in 2018. She also ran for New York State Senate last year but lost to incumbent Democrat Rachel May.

After working for a New York state assemblymember and running several Democratic campaigns, Carter’s attempt to unseat incumbent Abbott was unsuccessful.