Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
2ef3a7a9-880e-4fc1-a9f3-4671a380aa53_text.gif

Welcome to George Splevin Day!

George Spelvin, who has various female counterparts such as Georgette Spelvin, is a pseudonym used in theater programs and other media, who today has his own holiday. The name is used for a number of reasons. An actor who plays two parts may use it, so that their name won't appear twice in the program, concealing that they play more than one role. It may be printed in a program if it is not known who will play a part when the programs are made, or it may be used in a program if an actor doesn't want their name used. Non-sentient beings like corpses and scarecrows may be listed with the name. Some actors who belong to unions use it when they are working on non-union contracts, in order to avoid penalties.

Characters that come up in dialogue but never show up on stage are sometimes listed as George Spelvin. This ensures that viewers referring to their programs won't know that a character mentioned is never going to show up later on stage. It is used when it appears that an actor is playing two characters, who is later revealed to be one person with two names or identities. This is common in murder mysteries, where it keeps the audience from knowing that two characters who appear to be different are actually the same person. It is also used for someone who never says a line, such as someone who rings a doorbell and delivers something to a character but never speaks.

SU News

DSL46MLWUJHFPKHLYMAYDY22EI.jpg

Syracuse Orange forward Chris Bell (4) from the corner. The Syracuse Orange basketball team takes on the Colgate Red Raiders at He JMA Wireless Dome Nov. 14, 2023. Dennis Nett |dnett@syracuse.comdnett@syracuse.com

Bell’s career scoring night needed no boost of confidence: ‘There never is hesitation’ (PS; Ditota)

Chris Bell was going to shoot it.

The Syracuse forward is a Klay Thompson fan. He appreciates Thompson’s ability to block out previous makes and misses and focus on the motto that fuels him.

If you’re open, shoot the ball.

So when Bell caught it at the top of the circle, a few feet back from the 3-point line, he let it fly. Didn’t matter that Syracuse trailed Colgate 70-67 in what had become an intense fight to the finish. Didn’t matter how many shots he’d made or missed before that moment.

“I believe someone threw it out,” Bell said of the pass that came from Judah Mintz. “I kind of looked up at the shot clock. I remember I hadn’t shot a shot like that in a while so I was like, ‘I’m just gonna take it.’ And it happened to go in.”

It went in with 1 minute and 35 seconds left in a game Syracuse survived 79-75. There will be talk today about the way Syracuse’s press flummoxed the Raiders, the way it changed the pace of the game and tilted the needle the Orange way.

But Bell’s career-high 25 points, the nerve of that deep 3-pointer, deserves some mention.

“Chris Bell was phenomenal,” SU coach Adrian Autry said. “This was his best game in the uniform. I thought he played with energy. I thought his defense was pretty solid. He shot the ball, he made his shots.

“He’s a great shooter. We know that. But he actually put the ball on the floor and got to the basket a little bit more.”

How did Williams do in his return following 2-game suspension? (PS; Waters)

Syracuse’s game against Colgate on Tuesday night was notable for two comebacks.

First, the Orange stormed back from a 24-point second-half deficit to stun the Raiders, 79-75, at the JMA Wireless Dome. It is believed to be the largest deficit overcome in Syracuse history and the second-biggest by an ACC team in the league’s history.

The second comeback was more expected, but important nonetheless.

Syracuse forward Benny Williams returned to action after missing the Orange’s final exhibition game and its first two regular-season games after being suspended by SU coach Adrian Autry for a violation of team rules.

Getting Williams back was important for the Orange. The 6-foot-9 junior had started 24 of the games he appeared in last season and was expected to be a key player on this year’s team.

In Tuesday’s game against Colgate, Williams appeared to be suffering from the effects of missing time. He didn’t score in nine minutes of playing time. He missed all four of his shots, including three 3-pointers, and he managed to snare just one rebound.

The performance was well shy of the 11 points and six rebounds he had registered in SU’s exhibition against Daemen on Oct. 27.

“Benny just came back,’' Autry said after the game. “It’s going to take some time to get his conditioning and rhythm back.’'

Although he struggled on the court, Autry noted that Williams was into the game even while he was on the bench.

ACC News

Quite Suddenly, Final Four Appearances Are Rare For ACC Coaches (DBR; Jacobs)

They reached basketball’s promised land, the Final Four.

A few of them, anyway.

Eighteen in 69 seasons of the ACC’s existence. Better than once every four years. (Disregarding the COVID-neutered 2020 season.)

Every year a strong deputation of ACC teams gets invited to the NCAA tournament, where intimations of greatness seem ever more real with each victory. Last year five ACC teams were included in the postseason field. After Duke, NC State and Virginia were quickly eliminated only Miami and Pitt won twice.

For the Panthers it was a belated statement of belonging after six seasons wandering in the wilderness of defeat. For the Hurricanes, knocked off in the ’22 Midwest regional final by Kansas, the eventual NCAA champion, an advance to the Final Four was a program first.

Miami’s appearance on the last weekend of the 2023 NCAAs was the third in two seasons by an ACC squad, after Duke and UNC in 2022, and the fourth in the four most recent years the NCAAs were contested, counting Virginia’s 2019 title.

Some might argue the frequency of these appearances contradicts claims ACC’s men’s basketball fortunes are in competitive decline despite questionable exclusions in selection that lowered the league’s overall number of entrants. There’s no question the ACC dipped in prowess the last few years. Yet it was as recently as the ’19 NCAAs, quickly overshadowed by the 2020 COVID quietus, that five ACC teams reached the Sweet 16.

For Miami coach Jim Larranaga last season yielded a second Final Four coaching berth after unexpectantly taking George Mason’s Patriots to the NCAA semis in 2006. He is the sole active ACC coach with more than a single appearance in the Final Four.

That reduced roster is quite a change from just two seasons ago when the ACC bristled with Final Four veterans, five in all. Included are now-retired coaches Roy Williams at UNC, Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim, and Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski. That trio made 19 Final Four appearances between them at ACC schools, winning the majority (8) of the league’s 15 NCAA titles. (Boeheim won a ninth championship at Syracuse in 2003 as a Big East member.)

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/basketball/five-takeaways-syracuse-79-colgate-75 (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball rallied from 24 points down to beat Colgate 79-75 Tuesday night in the JMA Wireless Dome. Here are five takeaways from the win.

1. Resiliency

Let's be honest, it looked really bad before the comeback. Colgate was having its way with Syracuse on both ends. Defensively, they were forcing Syracuse to play to its weaknesses. Offensively, they were getting open shots anytime they wanted. When the lead ballooned to 24, I honestly thought the game was over. The fact that they were able to rally the way they did, never stop fighting, against a good veteran team, is impressive. That level of resiliency and fight will serve them well throughout the season. It says a lot about the makeup of this team.

2. Defense

For the first 24 minutes of the game, the defense was awful. Giving up too many open looks and seemed to lack energy on that end of the floor. Once Judah Mintz created a steal that led to a dunk to trim the lead to 20, a fire seemed to be lit under this team. The full court press caused the defensive intensity to increase exponentially and that led to turning Colgate over 14 times in the second half compared to just three for Syracuse. The way this team is going to be successful is through its defense and that showed out Tuesday night.

3. Chris Bell

A big reason Syracuse was able to come back was Chris Bell. He got hot for a stretch during the rally and scored a career high 25 points overall. Not only did he make six threes, but he also showed the ability to attack the basket and score in the lane in traffic. It was an impressive offensive showing from Bell. The next step for him is to rebound better during such a strong offensive performance as he recorded none Tuesday night. While he did have six in the first two games this season, the Orange needs more from him on the glass. Defensively, despite only recording one steal, his on ball defense was good.

Comeback ‘Cuse: SU rallies from 24-point deficit to beat Colgate (podcast) (PS; $; podcast; Axe)

It only took three games for the Syracuse University men’s basketball team to face serious adversity in the Adrian Autry era.

How did the Orange rally from a 24-point deficit to beat Colgate 79-75 on Tuesday night at the JMA Wireless Dome?

Mike Waters and I broke down one of the biggest comebacks in SU basketball history on Syracuse basketball postgame presented by Crouse Health.

You’ll learn how SU’s ferocious effort on defense sparked the comeback, Chris Bell’s best game in a Syracuse uniform, the good and bad of Judah Mintz’s 23-point effort, the meaning of “four-minute games” and what the SU coaches did to give the Orange a little extra motivation to beat Colgate for the first time in three years

We want to hear your thoughts on Syracuse basketball!

The “Syracuse Sports” voicemail line is 315-552-1964. Leave us a message anytime and it could be featured on a future episode.

1794032273.jpg

Photo by Bryan M. Bennett/Getty Image

Syracuse men’s basketball completes historic 24-point comeback against Colgate (TNIAAM; Szuba)

The Syracuse Orange men’s basketball team completed the second-largest comeback in ACC history when it surmounted a 24-point deficit in its come from behind victory over Colgate, 79-75. The largest comeback win in the league was 25 points by Florida State in 2023. Naheem McLeod played on both teams.

The 24-point deficit is believed to be the largest comeback win in program history. The largest known comeback in Syracuse history was a 20 point come from behind victory against Notre Dame in 2021.

“I’m proud of these guys, man. They could’ve folded but they didn’t,” Adrian Autry said in his opening remarks. “It was just one of those things. They didn’t want to lose.”

Asked if he knew the comeback was of historical significance, Judah Mintz answered logically.

“Syracuse is not usually down 24. Most people don’t come back and win from 24 (down),” Mintz said.

In order to come from behind, Syracuse went to its press that has bailed the team out of large deficits in the past. At times it had worked (2016 Virginia). Other times, it hasn’t (2016 North Carolina).

Just three games into the Autry era, the head coach has had to adjust his defensive strategy to get in the win column. In the first game he had to go 2-3 zone to protect Mintz with four fouls. In his third game he had to go full court press to comeback.

“We just kept fighting. That’s all it is,” Chris Bell said.

Fizz Report Card: Syracuse Survives Scare From Colgate, Wins 79-75 (orangefizz.net; Gotkin)

At the end of the day, a win is a win. It may not have looked pretty, but the Orange got it done and move to 3-0.

Chris Bell: B+

Chris Bell single-handedly kept the Orange in this game with his three-point shooting but when he wasn’t knocking down threes, the sophomore was an empty void on the floor. He also missed a few relatively open threes towards the end of the game that had to be made. Bell struggled all game defensively and wasn’t able to add anything on the boards. That’s just the type of player Bell has been so far for the Orange. Today was a perfect example of how on a great team, Bell would be a 6th man who provides a spark off the bench but shouldn’t be on the floor for 30 minutes.

Judah Mintz: B-

Judah Mintz played well when it mattered tonight which says something. He scored 20 points for the third straight game but wasn’t efficient his whole time on the floor. The sophomore went through spurts where he looked like a freshman playing in his first big game. Multiple times, he tried to lean into defenders to get a foul call. Other times, he drove to the hoop and forced a shot when there wasn’t anything there. Also, the flagrant frustration foul just isn’t something you can do. However, at the end he was able to settle down and lead the team to victory.

Other

SHZK2UUUARCTDGS3QF5PMI2PT4.png

The NYS DOT released a rendering of new designs for the I-81 southern interchange.Provided by New York State Department of Transportation

State adds detail on how drivers will connect from I-481 into I-81 south of Syracuse (PS; Breidenbach)

If you are used to driving the ring road south around Syracuse before heading into the city, pay attention. Your commute will eventually change as part of the $2.25 billion Interstate 81 project.

The New York State Department of Transportation has released detailed drawings that show the final design of the new interchange where Interstate 81 meets 481 south of Syracuse. Construction has already started.

The state plans to eliminate the high-speed ramp that takes drivers from I-481 south to I-81 north.

Instead, drivers will exit I-481 and use local streets and a new roundabout to cut over to a new ramp to get back into 55 mph traffic on I-81 north.

More specifically, drivers will exit I-481 south at East Brighton Avenue, travel through a new roundabout, head west on a relocated East Glen Avenue, then take a new ramp onto I-81 north.

This includes drivers traveling from, for example, the DeWitt Wegmans area to Syracuse University or from Jamesville to Upstate Hospital.

Right now, about 1,500 vehicles a day use that ramp. In the future, the DOT estimates about 1,000 people will use the new route. Officials estimate the time added to the trip will be negligible. They estimate, for example, a trip from Fayetteville and Manlius to downtown would take 16 minutes.

Commuters making the return trip will still have high-speed access from what is now I-81 south to I-481 north.

If the state’s map looks confusing, that could be because the names of the highways will change in the future. I-81 through downtown will be called “Business Loop 81″ and what is now I-481 will be renamed I-81.

Upstate NY gets a warm, dry spell this week, but how long will it last? (PS; Coin)

Over the next few days, Upstate New York will be treated to some warm, dry, sunny weather with temperatures more than 10 degrees above normal.

If you’re going to get in some late-season leaf raking or early-season Christmas lights hanging, though, you’ll want to do it during the workweek. By the weekend, the whole weather pattern changes and Upstate turns wet and cool.

Today will remain cloudy and slightly cooler than normal, with a high in Syracuse of about 43 degrees. Things improve on Wednesday as high pressure moves into Upstate New York and parks there for a couple of days.

That means Wednesday and Thursday will be sunny and rain-free, with highs pushing 60 degrees. The normal high this time of year is in the upper 40s.

While the next few days will be warm, high temperature records won’t be in danger. Recod-high temperatures in mid November in Syracuse are in the low 70s.

By Friday, a low pressure system nudges the high pressure out of the way, and that means temperatures drop and rain slides in.