Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
card-reading-day.jpg

Welcome to Card Reading Day!

On Card Reading Day, celebrants read and enjoy greeting cards they have been sent over the years, which they have kept for sentimental reasons. Sometimes they give greeting cards on the day as well and thus may receive some cards from others that they can read. Some online holiday sites speculate this holiday may be about tarot cards, but the overwhelming majority of sites relate this holiday to greeting cards.

Greeting cards are usually sent by mail. They may either be seasonal, being given for holidays such as Christmas, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, or Father's Day, or they may be everyday cards, such as those given for birthdays, weddings, and anniversaries. Other everyday cards express feelings such as well wishes, thank you, sympathy, affection, or congratulations. They are mass-produced by large and small companies, or can be homemade.

SU News

Bell hits 8 3s in one half as NC State botches scouting report: ‘That’s kind of outrageous’ (PS; $; Ditota)

Chris Bell felt it during pregame shootaround.

“I was like, ‘I really like their gym,’” he said late Tuesday night. “The rims were super soft. I don’t really like the adidas ball like that, but shooting it here was really nice. I said that before the game, I liked it in there.”

Bell liked it so much he made eight straight 3-point shots in Syracuse’s 87-83 road win over N.C. State.

Bell scored 26 points in the first half. He eventually missed a 3, an occasion that drew derisive cheers from the Wolfpack fan base.

N.C. State coach Kevin Keatts was not as pleased. His team, he offered during his postgame remarks, did not seem to understand the scouting report they were provided.

“Bell, he doesn’t dribble. He hasn’t dribbled all season long,” Keatts said. “I thought we got confused on a couple ball screen coverages in the first half. We allowed skip passes. We had no sense of urgency to get to the shooter. And the guy got hot. He had a night.”

He had a first half.

Syracuse Orange Basketball 2023-24: Syracuse at North Carolina State

Syracuse Orange forward Chris Bell (4) hits another three pointer in the first half. The Syracuse mens’ Basketball team travel to Raleigh North Carolina to take on The North Carolina State Wolfpack, Feb 20, 2024. (Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com)dnett@syracuse.com

Bell said he was surprised at how open he was. SU ran its pick and roll action. When Bell’s man helped on that coverage, he had ample shooting space, particularly in the corners.

“I was pretty open so it really was about knocking it down. That’s about it,” he said. “They kept leaving the corners to help on the pick and roll. I was just trying to stay ready and make shots.”

It got a little ridiculous here in the PNC Arena.

Pitino recalls coaching with and against Boeheim: ‘I always see Jim in a different light’ (podcast) (PS; $; podcast; Waters)

The story of how Jim Boeheim, upon getting the head coaching job at Syracuse, convinced Rick Pitino to postpone his honeymoon to be an assistant has been told so often that the details have become blurry with time.

But Pitino remembers the scene vividly.

Boeheim didn’t just call Pitino and offer him the job. Boeheim actually went to New York City and met with Pitino in the lobby of the Americana Hotel, which is now the Sheraton Hotel on Sixth Avenue. Up in their hotel room was Pitino’s new bride, waiting for her husband to return. It would be a while.

“We were getting ready to go to Hawaii on our honeymoon,’' Pitino said. “It was three hours of deep conversation about what he envisioned. For three (or) four hours. He wanted an answer right away. He wanted me to go right away to recruit Louis Orr and he had to know right away.’'

Pitino was also in consideration for an assistant coaching opening at Fordham and the head-coaching job at Wagner. But Boeheim convinced him to come to Syracuse as part of his first coaching staff.

“I finally went upstairs and told my wife I had good news and bad news,’' Pitino said. “She took it like a trooper.’'

Pitino recalled the scene in an appearance on the “Inside Syracuse Basketball” podcast. The podcast with Pitino is the third in a series of five interviews with people who span Boeheim’s time at Syracuse, from his playing days in the 1960s to his beginnings as SU’s head coach in 1976 and throughout the rest of his career.

Postgame Podcast: NC State's comeback falls short in devastating loss to Syracuse (247sports.com; podcast; Pack Pride)

Listen to the full podcast below and subscribe on iTunes, the Google Play Store or find us on Spotify by searching for "Pack Pride Podcast" under the podcasts section.

ACC Roundup - Wake Crushes Pitt (DBR; King)

In Tuesday’s ACC Action, Syracuse nipped NC State 87-83, Boston College fell at Florida State 84-76 and Wake Forest crushed Pitt 91-58.

Wake Forest came loaded for bear..or maybe Panther. The Deacons hit six of their first 10 shots and shot nearly 54 percent from behind the line in the first half.

It didn’t get better in the second half as Wake Forest ripped off a 19-4 run.

Pitt shot just 29 percent for the game and got worse as the game went on, hitting just 21.9 percent in the second half.

Blake Hinson, who has been on a tear, topping out by hanging 41 on Louisville Saturday, was held to 10 here, shooting just 3-10/1-5. The only person who shot even remotely well was Ishmael Leggett, who came off the bench to hit 5-10, including 3-5 from behind the line.

Chris Bell went off against NC State, hitting 26 points in the first half including eight three pointers.

State started poorly and went into halftime down 55-40 but fought their way back into it and the game was tied 83-83 with :20 left when Quadir Copeland hit a pair of free throws. Judah Mintz tacked on another pair of free throws with :05 left to give Syracuse the four point win.

It’s a bad loss for State and really hurts their NCAA chances. It’s a bit early to get into this, but one wonders how the Pack faithful will react. Keatts has done a decent job at NC State but at some point, people get impatient. We’ll see soon.

Florida State and Boston College had a tight game for about 32 minutes before FSU went on a 10-0 run to break the game open.

MBB: Links, News and Rumors 2024 Feb 20 (RX; HM)

MBB: Links, News and Rumors 2024 Feb 20

First, some scores...

ACC Scores for Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Syracuse 87
NC State 83

Both teams really needed this game, but the Orange went into Raleigh and took it.

Boston College 76
Florida State 84

The Eagles needed a win to keep their slim tournament hopes alive.

Pittsburgh 58
Wake Forest 91

The Deacs are back in the win column, trying to punch their ticket to the Big Dance. Pitt still has a shot as well.

Ranked Losers

#1 UConn lost by 19 at #15 Creighton, 66-85
(I guess we praised them too soon? see below...)
#11 Baylor lost by 7 at #25 BYU, 71-78
#19 San Diego St lost by 8 at Utah State, 60-68

From CBS Sports: ranking teams with best players who transferred out

You could field a good team comprised solely of the outbound transfers from these schools... here are the schools with the most-talented former players who are having great seasons for other teams in college basketball.

3. Syracuse

The top four players on this list were all part of Syracuse's 2020-21 team that was the last to reach the NCAA Tournament. It was likely no coincidence that squad made a Sweet 16 run, considering some of the talent... the top four would make for a solid nucleus.

Kadary Richmond | Seton Hall | 6-5 | PG
16.2 PPG | 7.0 RPG | 5.1 APG

Jesse Edwards | West Virginia | 6-11 | C
14.8 PPG | 813 RPG | 1.6 BPG

Joseph Girard | Clemson | 6-1 | SG
15.6 PPG | 3.1 APG | 43.4% 3PT

Quincy Guerrier | Illinois | 6-7 | PF
10.6 PPG | 7.2 RPG | 47.4% FG

Brycen Goodine | Fairfield | 6-4 | SG
13.4 PPG | 2.9 RPG | 46.7% 3PT

Symir Torrence | Binghamton | 6-3 | PG
8.3 PPG | 7.3 APG | 6.0 RPG

Robert Braswell | Charlotte | 6-7 | SF
6.2 PPG | 1.8 RPG | 36.2% 3PT

Woody Newton | George Mason | 6-8 | PF
5.6 PPG | 3.4 RPG | 38.8% FG

Frank Anselem | Georgia | 6-10 | C
2.4 PPG | 1.7 RPG | 0.7 BPG

8. North Carolina

Love was likely a case of addition by subtraction for the Tar Heels, who have operated more smoothly this season with RJ Davis as the backcourt's focal point. But Love is having a nice year for Arizona. Garcia played in just 16 games at North Carolina in the 2021-22 season before transferring closer to home. He's a proven college big man. The rest of these guys struggled to carve out steady roles during their time in the UNC program but are talented players who have found spots in other rotations.

Caleb Love | Arizona | 6-4 | SG
18.8 PPG | 5.0 RPG | 43.4% FG

Dawson Garcia | Minnesota | 6-11 | C
17.5 PPG | 6.5 RPG | 46.4% FG

Kerwin Walton | Texas Tech | 6-5 | SF
8.2 PPG | 2.1 RPG | 51.1% 3PT

Dontrez Styles | Georgetown | 6-6 | SF
13.3 PPG | 5.8 RPG | 41.5% FG

Tyler Nickel | Virginia Tech | 6-7 | SF
9.2 PPG | 2.0 RPG | 43.0% 3PT

Puff Johnson | Penn State | 6-8 | PF
6.0 PPG | 3.0 RPG | 37.7% FG

D'Marco Dunn | Penn State | 6-4 | SG
7.1 PPG | 2.0 RPG | 40.6% FG
Those are some really good players who transfered out.

Other

Z2MDJWGWSBHYVFUSQIE5Z3HDZA.jpg

Wings from the Wildcat Sports Pub in Camillus will be on the menu at the pub's stand at Syracuse Mets games in 2024. (Dan Thome)SYR

New food stand to bring wings, tater tots to Syracuse Mets games at NBT Bank Stadium (PS; $; Cazentre)

For the first-time in a few years, wings are back on the menu for the upcoming Syracuse Mets baseball season at NBT Bank Stadium.

Bone-in, boneless and char-grilled wings will be served at the new stand on the third-base concourse operated by the Wildcat Sports Pub in Camillus. The Wildcat is also serving its tater tots, including loaded and chili cheese versions.

And the Wildcat stand, which was known as Scooch’s BBQ in the second half of last season, will introduce the concept of freeze-dried candies (like Skittles), to the ballpark.

“I can’t say I was completely familiar with that,” said Wildcat owner Dan Thome. “But I looked into it and now I understand they’re a pretty big thing.”

The Wildcat will also serve beer (in cans) and soft drinks.

The Wildcat stand is the first big food service change to be announced for the 2024 Syracuse Mets season. The season starts with the home opener on March 29 against the Rochester Red Wings. More details, including the season promotions schedule, will be revealed at the annual Open House at the stadium on March 2.

New downtown Syracuse restaurant will mix a Caribbean menu and a ‘fun, professional’ vibe (PS; $; Cazentre)

Luis Colon Torres wants his new downtown Syracuse restaurant to provide a “fun but professional and safe vibe.”

It’ll also offer a Caribbean menu, with a special emphasis on Puerto Rican cuisine. On weekend nights it’ll feature bands as an “upscale lounge.” And there will be enough TVs to make it a hangout for watching big games.

The 809 Lounge & Restaurant should open in the next few months at 206 S. Warren St., in the space occupied until last year by the Otro Cinco restaurant.

“I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes,” said Colon Torres, who is also owner of the Guadalajara Mexican restaurant a few blocks away on West Water Street. “So it’s going to be different than anything else we have here in Syracuse.”

The new place is a franchise of a small group of businesses with three locations in Rochester. There they are called 809 Sports Bar and Restaurant. The “809″ refers to the area code in the Dominican Republic, where the owner is from.

Colon Torres, who is originally from Puerto Rico, bought the rights to the name, recipes and other assets to open a version in Syracuse. The menu at the Rochester locations features such items as empanadas, quesadillas, tacos and mofongo, plus meat (carnes) and seafood (mariscos) entrees.