Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
canine-flatulence-x.jpg

Welcome to Dog Farting Awareness Day!

Let's talk about farts. Like humans, all dogs fart. It doesn't matter their age, size, or breed. Sometimes people blame their own farts on dogs, but sometimes dogs really are to blame. Those who are thinking about adopting a dog must be aware of this.

What is behind dog farts? The main culprit is the swallowing of air, which often happens when dogs eat too quickly. This frequently happens when dogs eat together, as they often are competing for food. A respiratory disease that increases the breathing rate may also cause the swallowing of air, as will feeding a dog directly after exercise, before their breathing rate has slowed down. Other culprits causing dog farts include having a sedentary lifestyle and eating difficult to digest food such as soybeans, beans, spoiled food, high-fat food, high-fiber food, milk products, and spices. More serious problems such as gastrointestinal diseases may also be to blame. Other symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, and loss of appetite and weight often accompany the farting of dogs with diseases. Inflammatory bowel disease, the inflammation of intestines because of a virus, irritable bowel syndrome, and neoplasia—the excessive growth of tissue in the bowel—also may be the cause. Parasites and a non-functioning pancreas are two more possibilities of why a dog is farting.

The more hydrogen sulfide in a fart, the smellier it is. Thankfully, the smelliness can be combated. A study found that charcoal and zinc acetate, as well as yucca schidigera, may reduce the smell of dog farts, although these things will not decrease the number of farts. Dog farts can also be fought with bismuth subsalicylate, simethicone, and pancreatic enzyme supplements. A veterinarian should be consulted before giving these supplements to a dog.

SU News

resize.png

Syracuse Continues To Flip-Flop Centers (orangefizz.net; Horning)

Former Colorado center Eddie Lampkin Jr. transferred to Syracuse on Tuesday. The 6-foot-11, 265 pound big man is a huge acquisition for SU, and the reason isn’t centered around statistics.

Lampkin averaged 10.6 points and seven rebounds last season. That includes a March Madness three-game run with CU that spanned from the first four to the second round.

Moreover, Lampkin brings more than just solid numbers, and that’s experience. Something that SU lacks given they haven’t played in consecutive NCAA tournaments since 2018 and 2019.

Why is finding a starting center so important for the Orange this offseason?

The center position has been in shambles since the departure of Jesse Edwards. Syracuse has had its fair share of attempts at committing to a solid center who can be valuable for the entire season.

Edwards averaged 12 points and 14.5 points in his third and fourth years in Orange, respectively. He brought consistency and reliability to a team that was searching for answers in former head coach Jim Boeheim’s last two seasons.

(youtube; podcast; Cinco Squad)

Jon reminisced on all the memories Gerry McNamara has given to he and Syracuse fans everywhere, and is looking forward to seeing him as a head coach.

Syracuse among schools to reach out to two transfer portal guards (247sports.com; McAllister)

Syracuse
basketball has been in contact with two transfer portal guards. The first is Roddy Gayle from Ohio State and the second is Bryce Pope from UC San Diego. Gayle has two years of eligibility remaining while Pope has one. Last season, Gayle averaged 13.5 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 31 minutes per game. He started 35 of 36 games for the Buckeyes. Pope averaged 18.3 points, 3.9 rebounds and 1.9 assists in 35.6 minutes per game. He stared all 33 games for the Tritons.

If Gayle's name sounds familiar, it is because he was a priority recruiting target of the Orange in the 2022 recruiting cycle. He is from the Niagara Falls area and Syracuse recruited him extremely hard. He signed with Ohio State over SU, however, and has spent the last two seasons with the Buckeyes. Gayle, currently listed at 6-4, 210 pounds, was rated a four star prospect and ranked a top 50 player in his class. In addition to Syracuse, Gayle has also reportedly heard from Alabama, BYU, Cincinnati, Clemson, Georgetown, Georgia, Louisville, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Texas and Xavier.

Pope does not have that recruiting connection to Syracuse, but is a talented guard who has scored at a high rate at UC San Diego. He has started every game except one for the Tritons over the last three seasons, averaging more than 18 points per game in each of the last two. While Syracuse has reached out, it is important to note that reaching out could be anything from calling the player to express strong interest to reaching out to a former AAU or high school coach for a brief conversation. Pope has also scheduled official visits to Maryland and Stanford. There is no word on whether or not he has to Syracuse. He has also reportedly received interest from Arkansas, Colorado, Dayton, Ole Miss, Notre Dame, San Diego State, Virginia Tech and others.

The fact that Syracuse is reaching out to guards is not a surprise. With the expected loss of Judah Mintz and the departure of Quadir Copeland, Syracuse is in need of an experienced, talented guard who can step into the starting lineup right away. Syracuse has already landed one impact player from the transfer portal in Colorado center Eddie Lampkin. The Orange could also look into adding a forward for depth as well.

Several schools reach out to Syracuse transfer Quadir Copeland (247sports.com; McAllister)
Several schools have reached out to Syracuse basketball transfer Quadir Copeland has been contacted by several schools, including Kansas, Kansas State, McNeese State, Memphis, Mississippi State, NC State and others according to 247Sports' National Basketball Recruiting Analyst Dushawn London.

Syracuse's sixth man announced he was planning to enter the transfer portal on March 18th. He did not officially enter the portal until March 29th, however. Copeland is a 6-6 guard/wing who has two years of eligibility remaining. He averaged 9.6 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.5 steals in 22 minutes per game. Syracuse head coach Adrian Autry said in an interview on The Devo & Kris Jo Show, he indicated the split was a mutual decision.

Copeland showed flashes of being a dynamic playmaker during the 2023-24 season. He scored in double figures in four of the last six games, including a career high 25 points in a win at NC State. He also recorded a steal in Syracuse's last 10 games and in 14 of the last 15.

There would, however, be struggles with turnovers or playing out of control at times. Copeland has six turnovers in the ACC Tournament loss against NC State. Despite that, it was an overall strong and promising year for the reserve guard after showing flashes as a true freshman the year prior.

The Syracuse backcourt is expected to be crowded in 2024-25, with JJ Starling likely to return, Chance Westry expected to be healthy, Elijah Moore coming in as a high school recruit and the Orange likely pursuing a guard in the transfer portal. Copeland may be looking for a place where a starting spot is much easier to obtain. He should have plenty of options.

Keeping Up With The 315 4-5-24 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian begins the show discussing the Judah Mintz stuff from yesterday and recapping what we know of the current Syracuse basketball roster. Then, a couple loyal callers chime in with their thoughts on the Judah situation. Lastly, Brian gives you the Man Who Sorta Knows gambling picks this weekend.

Jon Jaques named Cornell men’s basketball coach *informny.com; Mustion)

Jon Jaques (Cornell ’10) has been named the new head coach of the Cornell men’s basketball program. After the departure of Brian Earl at the end of the 2023-2024 season, Jaques became the interim head coach then was elevated to the full time head coach on Friday.

Jaques has been an assistant coach under both Bill Courtney and Brian Earl and was promoted to Associate Head Coach in 2022.

During his time at Cornell as a player, Jaques and the team won an Ivy League record 29 games in a season, advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16, and won three outright Ivy League titles.

Kentucky coach John Calipari talking with Arkansas about open job, according to multiple outlets (localsyr.com; AP)

Longtime Kentucky coach John Calipari was in negotiations to potentially leave and take the men’s basketball coaching job at Arkansas, multiple outlets reported late Sunday.

Arkansas officials have been in discussions with Calipari about the opening, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported, citing anonymous sources. ESPN, also citing anonymous sources, reported that Calipari is finalizing a five-year deal.

The 65-year-old Hall of Fame coach has spent the last 15 seasons at Kentucky. Athletic director Mitch Barnhart recently said Calipari would return, despite calls for his firing following the Wildcats’ third consecutive early exit from the NCAA Tournament.

Q and A with Ian Eagle < Sports Take | Table Hopping (tablehopping; Lindsley)

I recently caught-up with Syracuse University alum and NFL on CBS play-by-play man Ian Eagle. We chatted about sports being back, his career, his son’s early tenure as a broadcaster, his SU days, how he ended-up on The Hill, the future of the Brooklyn Nets (yep, he does that too), his nickname’s origin and more! Enjoy.

ML: Sports are back. How’s it feel?

IA: I’m excited to be back in the booth, though fully recognizing that this is a small part of what’s happening around the world right now. When I got to the NBA bubble in late July I thoroughly appreciated getting back into the routine of preparation and talking hoops again. The NFL so far has been a unique experience and I give a great deal of credit to the players and coaches for their professional pride and competitive spirit.. The TV presentation has been outstanding and I believe fans at home are still enjoying high-level sports entertainment during these unprecedented circumstances.

ML: When did you say to yourself Syracuse University is the place for me?

IA: I knew fairly early in my life. The fact that Marty Glickman and Marv Albert had attended SU definitely got my attention. Then when the Big East rose to prominence during my early teen years, I was hooked. Watching games on television from the Carrier Dome was inspiring (Pearl Washington in particular) and when I heard that I could have a chance to call those games for WAER Radio as a student, I knew there was no other school for me.

ML: Favorite sport to broadcast?

IA: Too tough to call Mike. Similar to asking me to pick my favorite child, I can’t do it. I immerse myself in whatever assignment I receive, and that’s been my philosophy from the start of my career. I began calling the NBA in 1994, so it has a special place in my heart. My first year calling the NFL was 1997 and the next year I added the NCAA Tournament to my assignments. After all of these years those events still strongly resonate with me. I’ve also called tennis, golf, track and field, boxing, lacrosse, volleyball, etc. If your enthusiasm is coming from a real place, the audience picks up on that.

ML: Your son has followed in your footsteps calling LA Clippers games. What’s the
most satisfying part about Noah’s early success in the business?

IA: Watching his development as a young adult has been the most satisfying part of this more than anything else. He was always a mature kid, but to see him enter the business and handle himself with the confidence and savviness that’s required to be successful has made our family incredibly proud. He’s developed his own style in a short period of time and already has terrific broadcast instincts. When he told me and my wife Alisa that he wanted to pursue this as a career, we backed him 100%. I explained how challenging it would be and he went into it knowing that his name could open up some doors, but ultimately his talent would have to do the talking for him.

ML: Super Bowl pick?

IA: Do you want me to tick off every team that I cover in 2020 Mike??? If we all understand that I’m just giving my early season opinion, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Baltimore and New Orleans playing in the big game in Tampa.

ML: Best sports moment as a Syracuse broadcaster?

IA: 3/4/90 Syracuse beats Georgetown 89-87 at the Carrier Dome. I fulfilled a dream that day, calling the action for this fierce Big East rivalry. Not surprisingly there was a lot of fanfare around the matchup- national TV game on CBS, a then record crowd and two of the best teams in the country. I remember the Dome was rocking and I felt that I had somehow ‘made it’ putting the headset on that afternoon. Hoyas Coach John Thompson was ejected in the 1st 1/2 and it was a tight game throughout. The ‘Cuse pulled out a thriller in overtime, and it gave me an indelible Syracuse sports memory that’s still vivid more than 30 years later.

Other

YWMJPB6PD5EH7ID4J3REBJMSIE.jpeg

A potato from the new Bash Potato.Submitted photo

New specialty restaurant opens at Destiny USA (PS; $; Doran)

A new restaurant specializing in hot, fluffy baked potatoes with toppings is open in Destiny USA.

Bash Potato opened April 1 on the second floor of the mall above Texas de Brazil.

Shurouq Azzam opened the six-table restaurant and is helped by her husband, Mohammad. They have four employees.

The restaurant specializes in freshly baked, loaded Russet baked potatoes with a variety of toppings.

The one-pound potatoes are whipped with butter and mozzarella cheese and customers can then add whatever toppings they like. These include beef, chicken, chili, jalapeno peppers, corn, black beans, vegetables and much more. Customers can make a Philly cheesesteak or chicken parmesan potato if they choose, the Azzams said.

Syracuse University, city prepare for solar eclipse (DO; Luther)

For the first time in nearly 100 years, the city of Syracuse will experience a total solar eclipse Monday afternoon.

The partial eclipse will begin at approximately 2:09 p.m. with the total eclipse lasting nearly one and a half minutes, occurring from 3:23 p.m. to 3:24 p.m. The darkness will gradually lighten over the next hour and conditions will return to normal around 4:34 p.m.

The city and county have been preparing for over three months, said Syracuse Chief of Police Joseph L. Cecile. He said the city will set up a unified command post with representatives from the Syracuse Police Department, Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office and New York State Police Department and will be in contact with the Syracuse Fire Department, Department of Public Works and the Department of Parks, Recreation and Youth.

Gov. Kathy Hochul’s Interagency Task Force – which is comprised of over 20 state agents and authorities — has focused on spreading awareness and safety information in preparation for New York as a “prime location” to experience the eclipse, according to a Sunday press release from Hochul. The task force has been working since October 2022 to anticipate public safety challenges, such as traffic management, communications capabilities and public health and safety.

Syracuse University has adjusted transportation and planned several on-campus events for students, faculty and staff in preparation for the eclipse.

“It’s a historical event and we’re hoping that these astronomical events really are a great opportunity for people to see a phenomenon they’re not going to ever see again in their lifetime,” Cecile said. “We’re hoping that folks will do it and think about not only their own safety, but the safety of others.”

Monster Jam shakes up JMA Wireless Dome with racing, two-wheel skills (DO; Stewart)

With their engines revving, preparing for fury and redemption in a Monster Jam matchup, 12 12,000-pound monster trucks parked along the sidelines of Syracuse University’s JMA Wireless Dome. A rock-and-roll remix of John Denver’s “Take Me Home, Country Roads” blared from speakers, the space filled with a thick, stagnant scent of gasoline. Observers plugged their ears and prepared to gasp in awe as the trucks flew.

“It’s really cool getting to travel the east coast of the country because you get to see different stadiums and different architecture,” said Jabari Thomas, Monster Jam’s fan enhancement host. “Not only that but the people, you really get a chance to understand different cultures and parts of the country that you really never see.”

After rehearsing in the Dome Friday, Monster Jam’s Stadium Championship East tour returned to Syracuse Saturday for an afternoon of monster trucks crushing their competition — and other cars. The eventual champion of the tour — which has its next event in Atlanta, Georgia, on April 13 and 14 — will claim a bid to Monster Jam World Finals in Los Angeles, California on May 18.

Monster Jam has three events: racing, two-wheel skills and freestyle. The racing event has drivers go head-to-head going as fast as they can around the stadium. The two-wheel skills challenge has drivers carefully balance their trucks on either their front or back tires.

The event is capped off by its freestyle competition: a two-minute portion where drivers perform tricks and flips. After tallying scores from the three competitions, whoever has 12 points in each event is crowned champion for the night, said Todd LeDuc, who drives “Megalodon.”

LeDuc said the Dome is what sets Syracuse apart. The stadium has “tacky” dirt that makes some tricks easier.

“You gotta be very well-rounded when you go to these shows as the conditions change,” LeDuc said. “But with these indoor stadiums, it doesn’t matter if it’s raining outside or snowing, we’re going to have a great show.”